Striker Options

Anyone seen much of Sekou Koita at Salzburg?

Their scouting system is one of the best, and Salzburg fans on Reddit absolutely rave about Koita. They're unanimous that's he's a far bigger talent than Patson Daka who also plays for them, and also gets a lot of hype.

His numbers are eye-popping. He's averaging a goal every 60 minutes in the Austrian Bundesliga - while playing through an injury - better numbers than Haaland was putting up. Also has elite dribbling and pressing stats.

He's lightning quick, very two footed (although naturally a lefty) and can play in any of the forward positions - mostly played as a striker this season.

Just seems like the model of an exciting, modern forward.

Last edited:

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Well a fixed RW would push Greenwood to be a fwd more often and would make an instant impact to better our team,better shape and organisation..

davidmichael

I agree with the point you're making, however, I didn't realise Greenwood publicly stated he wants to play centrally. I know Gary Neville mentions it just about every 30 mins of commenting our games, but I haven't actually heard it from the player himself. When and where did he say it please?

Either way, he's obviously not ready for that yet - as Ole said tonight, he'll need another year or two to look like a CF
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/14094176/man-utd-greenwood-rashford-scholes/

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/mason-greenwood-man-utd-solskjaer-23525651

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...ter-United-news-Mason-Greenwood-Real-Sociedad

GledTheRed

Their scouting system is one of the best, and Salzburg fans on Reddit absolutely rave about Koita. They're unanimous that's he's a far bigger talent than Patson Daka who also plays for them, and also gets a lot of hype.

His numbers are eye-popping. He's averaging a goal every 60 minutes in the Austrian Bundesliga - while playing through an injury - better numbers than Haaland was putting up. Also has elite dribbling and pressing stats.

He's lightning quick, very two footed (although naturally a lefty) and can play in any of the forward positions - mostly played as a striker this season.

Thanks for this, i have never heard of him but will enjoy doing some research in the next couple of days.

Salzburg do have a great scouting network, probably Leipzig / BVB bound :(

https://www.besoccer.com/new/mali-p...fter-taking-altitude-sickness-medicine-957143

oh dear

Glorio

Oh thanks! Good convo to read

So he's unsure now, but eventually when he fills out, he wants to play CF. More or less Ole's thoughts on the matter - mine too as I mentioned. He's not ready physically for that just yet, needs some growing to get there

GazTheLegend

The Haaland ship has surely sailed - they'll be lining up for him next summer and we won't be at the front of that queue.

My guess is that we'll go into next season with the same forward options and hope that one of them can find some form. If they can't and if Greenwood doesn't look quite ready to step up, then we'll probably move for Calvert-Lewin in summer 2022.
Seems to me you plus rather many individuals are forgetting that there is a global pandemic currently stripping football clubs to the bare bones. Make no mistake, we are among the few clubs on the planet who are -existentially safe-, the same cannot be said for Barcelona, Dortmund, Madrid, Juventus etc , which is why there is so much talk of a super League right at this moment.

Hawks2008

One of Haaland, Kane, or Martinez would be ideal but I just know it'll be more of Martial/Cavani next season

davidmichael

Oh thanks! Good convo to read

So he's unsure now, but eventually when he fills out, he wants to play CF. More or less Ole's thoughts on the matter - mine too as I mentioned. He's not ready physically for that just yet, needs some growing to get there
I’d ike to see to see Greenwood given a full 90 minutes up top in the second leg against Real Sociedad with us being 4-0 up in the tie. The likes of Cavani, Fernandes and Rashford should all be completely rested in that game and not even in the squad but it’ll be a good time to give Greenwood a full game up top.

Infra-red

Seems to me you plus rather many individuals are forgetting that there is a global pandemic currently stripping football clubs to the bare bones. Make no mistake, we are among the few clubs on the planet who are -existentially safe-, the same cannot be said for Barcelona, Dortmund, Madrid, Juventus etc , which is why there is so much talk of a super League right at this moment.
I doubt anyone has "forgotten" the extent to which numerous clubs, including us, have been hit by the pandemic. Most of the clubs you mentioned are in fact not under existential threat, but I'm not sure what any of this has to do with Haaland, given that he will likely move in summer 2022, after a season of relative normality with fans in attendance, and for a relatively reasonable £65m release clause. Madrid, Juve, Liverpool, City, Bayern, PSG etc will certainly be able to afford him at that stage and they'll probably be lining up.

troylocker

Before we've had another serious go at Haaland, we shouldn't be looking at anyone else. If we want to be the best we cannot sign players like DCL or L Martinez, or worse Koita, Daka, Boadu etc.. They would be squad options at best for a team with ambitions to win CL and PL trophies on a regular bases. We need a top tier striker. Kane could do it, but for that price we should look to the cheaper, younger, stronger, faster and better option, Haaland. For the next couple of summer windows it's almost Mbappe/Haaland or bust at this point. The clubs that sign them next will be dominant in CL for the next decade. Their signatures will also attract the best players to them for the long term.
If City sign Haaland we won't be winning the PL either the next decade...

Glorio

I’d ike to see to see Greenwood given a full 90 minutes up top in the second leg against Real Sociedad with us being 4-0 up in the tie. The likes of Cavani, Fernandes and Rashford should all be completely rested in that game and not even in the squad but it’ll be a good time to give Greenwood a full game up top.
To be fair he got that already didn't he? (Not all 90 mins due to the sub of couse)
He was supposedly playing centrally yesterday. Yes, with a lot of interchange as we tend to play, but standard positions were Rashford on the left, Greenwood in the middle, and James on the right. He didn't look comfortable there at all and on that evidence alone, we could get more of the same. You do know that if he gets a chance though, he'll bury it more often than not

Last edited:

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Haaland, if United are serious about being dominant in the league and CL for the next 10 years.

croadyman

Looks a little bit like Adebayor

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

Seems that he (and one of his teammates) have just been banned for 3 months for a failed drugs test. Looks like it was only for an altitude sickness medicine that their international team doctor gave them which sucks for the players.

AKDevil

now that is a you tube video! Looks a player, ideal for a fluid frontline. Loved the conviction in his finishing - hammered almost everything.

kerryman

Sadly this is what I expect too, and my expectations will be lowered accordingly for what we can achieve.
Rashford and Martial are far too inconsistent, can't see us ever mounting a title challenge with them as first choice forwards.

Sparky Rhiwabon

What about that guy who plays up front for Inter Milan? Scoring plenty of goals for club and country (35 in all competitions in 2020, 2 more than Haaland!) and just coming into his prime at 27.

Red_Orchestra

What about that guy who plays up front for Inter Milan? Scoring plenty of goals for club and country (35 in all competitions in 2020, 2 more than Haaland!) and just coming into his prime at 27.
Nah, he's to one dimensional and adds nothing, I'd rather have AM up front.

What about Andre Silva from Frankfurt? Decent season so far.

Devil may care

The drop-off from Haaland to Calvert-Lewin is evident but either would be strong signings, after that I don't see any options that I'd prefer over keeping Cavani for another season and blooding Mason.

RRCE

Haaland is obviously the dream. It’s very unlikely, though.

Calvert-Lewin is interesting. He‘d improve our team, without doubt. If we can add another creative player (such as Sancho, for example), adding a striker like Calvert-Lewin would make a lot of sense. Without that creativity, we’d never be able to play to his strengths.

They‘re different types of players to some degree, but Calvert-Lewin reminds me of a Louis Saha type of signing. Not world class, but very effective in the right team. Could be a very smart move.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
Considering funds are likely to be limited this summer, or at least prioritised for other positions, would Odsonne Edouard be worth a punt?

Big step up required obviously from the SPL but he looks like he has all the tools - 6'2" with pace, dribbling ability and confident finishing. Scored bucket loads at Celtic and clearly has outgrown the league. Just turned 23 and with his contract expiring in 2022, rumoured that he could be available for as little as £15m.

Seems almost certain some Prem clubs will be in for him this summer, I'd expect the likes of Leicester and West Ham to be interested, but at that price worth a gamble for United?

Obligatory 'Welcome To ___ / this is why everybody wants him' highlight video:

croadyman

The drop-off from Haaland to Calvert-Lewin is evident but either would be strong signings, after that I don't see any options that I'd prefer over keeping Cavani for another season and blooding Mason.
Yeah it's them or nobody for me

Magz

He's averaging a goal every 60 minutes in the Austrian Bundesliga - while playing through an injury - better numbers than Haaland was putting up
That's true, Haaland averaged a goal every 61' in the Austrian Bundesliga, but compare their CL stats for RBS. Haaland scored 8 goals in 374' (a goal every 46,75'), Koita has yet to score (in 411'). I'm not saying Koita isn't a huge talent, but he's no way near Haaland's level (yet).

SAFMUTD

Its worrying that there are not many truly good strikers at the moment. The obvious ones Kane and Haaland are almost impossible to get, there are also another attainable that would be really expensive such as Calvert-Lewin but I don't think he's as good as what Everton would ask for him. There are others such as Lautauro Martinez and Richarlison but they are more 2nd strikers than 9s.

Besides those all the others are either old, unattainable, not good enough or youngsters. We are going to struggle big time to solve our striker problem.

Jezpeza

For me - you dont sign anyone, you move greenwood inside. Hes a hell of a finisher. Then sign Sancho - his stock has dropped a bit. Real and barca cant spend. We can still get him for 80-90 million. I’d also retain mata and cavani for one more year to protect the youngsters while they develop.

rashford- cavani/greenwood -sancho

james -martial -diallo/mata

we can then focus on a CB and CDM. Our issue this year hasnt been scoring its been defending.

sancho and then one of either kounde or similar or rice or similar this summer is an important two cogs in the machine on the way to competing on all fronts. Dont think we can get 3 big signings. Think west ham have money problems and will part with rice relatively easily this summer if anyone wants him

croadyman

For me - you dont sign anyone, you move greenwood inside. Hes a hell of a finisher. Then sign Sancho - his stock has dropped a bit. Real and barca cant spend. We can still get him for 80-90 million. I’d also retain mata and cavani for one more year to protect the youngsters while they develop.

rashford- cavani/greenwood -sancho

james -martial -diallo/mata

we can then focus on a CB and CDM. Our issue this year hasnt been scoring its been defending.

sancho and then one of either kounde or similar or rice or similar this summer is an important two cogs in the machine on the way to competing on all fronts. Dont think we can get 3 big signings. Think west ham have money problems and will part with rice relatively easily this summer if anyone wants him
Club clearly don't care about DM (totally nuts) so best to accept that and focus on CB & CF

Jezpeza

Club clearly don't care about DM (totally nuts) so best to accept that and focus on CB & CF
yeah i agree (see matic contract extension). I genuinely think this whole fast CB thing wouldnt be an issue if there was a screen for the centre halves. I feel fear everytime matic maguire and lindelof are playing and someone slightly quick runs at them.

littleman

I remember last season people saying not to sign a right sided attacker as it would stunt Greenwood’s development and Greenwood should be first choice, I said at the time expecting an 18-19 year old with (at the time) less than a season in senior football to be our right sided attacking saviour was mental and it was right as we have the same problem this season.

With Diallo it’s even more the case as we’re in the latter part of February and Diallo has 6 minutes of football for us yet you’re wanting us to give him a chance as first choice ? I really hope Diallo becomes the player we all hope he’ll be but it won’t be next season and Greenwood has publicly said he wants to play centrally.
The obsession with youth reflects the United fan's desperation of clinging to something of note.

Now that we're no longer champions, and often out of the running, SOMETHING still needs to set us apart from the rest of the trash like Arsenal. If we don't have youth, are we not like the gunners?

Ultimately, this mentality is why champions like Bruno Fernandes will leave the team. They're not here to help Amad get a start at RW, they're here to win trophies.

Blood Mage

Haaland has his pick of any club at this point, I only see him joining PSG, City or Madrid in the future. We should take a look at some more shrewd options like Edouard at Celtic IMO.

Infra-red

Haaland has his pick of any club at this point, I only see him joining PSG, City or Madrid in the future. We should take a look at some more shrewd options like Edouard at Celtic IMO.
A forward pairing of Haaland and Mbappe would be fairly terrifying to play against.

Tallis

The obsession with youth reflects the United fan's desperation of clinging to something of note.

Now that we're no longer champions, and often out of the running, SOMETHING still needs to set us apart from the rest of the trash like Arsenal. If we don't have youth, are we not like the gunners?

Ultimately, this mentality is why champions like Bruno Fernandes will leave the team. They're not here to help Amad get a start at RW, they're here to win trophies.
Wait - are you talking about fans or Ole ? Why should Bruno care if fans want Amad to start a game ?

Harold_Giles

You think Bruno will become frustrated by our aim of bringing the best footballing talent around the globe to our team?

Out of curiosity, what team should we be looking at to get around 150m pounds for Bruno?

Utd7

Haaland is obviously the dream. It’s very unlikely, though.

Calvert-Lewin is interesting. He‘d improve our team, without doubt. If we can add another creative player (such as Sancho, for example), adding a striker like Calvert-Lewin would make a lot of sense. Without that creativity, we’d never be able to play to his strengths.

They‘re different types of players to some degree, but Calvert-Lewin reminds me of a Louis Saha type of signing. Not world class, but very effective in the right team. Could be a very smart move.
Agreed. The problem is he would cost a world class price. Buying from another PL team is always tricky financially. Although I suppose with every club losing money due to the pandemic, this summer may be the exception to that rule.

RRCE

Agreed. The problem is he would cost a world class price. Buying from another PL team is always tricky financially. Although I suppose with every club losing money due to the pandemic, this summer may be the exception to that rule.
You’re probably right about that. Calvert-Lewin wouldn’t cost Haaland money, but Everton would put a very steep price on him. He’d likely be too expensive for us.

littleman

Wait - are you talking about fans or Ole ? Why should Bruno care if fans want Amad to start a game ?
You're absolutely right that Bruno Fernandes DOES NOT GIVE A FLYING FK IF FANS WANT JUNIOR PLAYERS IN THE TEAM

He's a winner

eire-red

I don't think Calvert-Lewin is good enough for the fee that we'd be quoted. We don't play a style that would suit his strengths either.

Haaland is the obvious choice, it just comes down to how much faith we have in Greenwood. Are we better off going back for Sancho, and looking to strengthen with a CB and CDM?

If we can't get Haaland, is it worth it to wait and see if any other generational talents become available, instead of settling?

AFC NimbleThumb

Thank feck for posts like this!

We’re the furthest we have been from competently competing for trophies that we have been post-Fergie.

Just look at the cult surrounding some of our squad; McTominay scored in 3 games and was compared to Gullit, Keane & Gerrard [that’s just from memory], it’s the same tripe I’d criticise Arsenal fans for when they’d tell you how great Ghendouzi was.

The sad truth is, we’re very close to becoming what Arsenal were.