Stuff in football that really annoys you?

Eric_the_Red99

Shielding the ball in the corner. Annoys the hell out of me. Very dick move.
I don’t mind players shielding the ball in the corner, if they have it under their control.

What I think is really unfair is when defenders ‘shepherd’ the ball out, ie deliberately obstruct the attacking player by backing into them while making absolutely no attempt to play the ball themselves. And if the attacking player makes a genuine attempt to get around the defender, and the defender falls over because they’re basically leaning on the attacker, 9 times out of 10 the ref will blow for a foul on the defender! That really grinds my gears.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Once or twice a game you usually get the scenario where a defender is boxed in, an attacker pressures him by slightly leaning into him from behind and then the defender flops over. The ref blows the whistle and everyone just accepts that that's what happens. It's ridiculous when you think about it.

stevoc

" We need a right winger, we have none! Greenwood is a natural ST" ...mentions Sancho who is a natural LW
That happens on Redcafe though not in football.

Incidentally we do need a right winger because we don't have any, Greenwood is a natural striker. I think we should go for Sancho.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Fans booing players who take ages to walk off the pitch when they are being subbed off when winning....knowing full well ours and everyone else's players do exactly the same

Danny

Referees who stop play at corner kicks/free kicks around the box to separate players from holding prior to the kick being taken, let them carry on and just call the foul once the ball is in play, just a waste of time.
This! Waste of time and pointless. Always end up just giving a free kick to the defending team. Always.

acnumber9

Referees who stop play at corner kicks/free kicks around the box to separate players from holding prior to the kick being taken, let them carry on and just call the foul once the ball is in play, just a waste of time.
I’ve never understood why they do this.

LoneStar

Fernandinho, the guy can commit murder on the pitch and still walk away without a card.

Refs who blow the whistle for the lightest of touches, and want to control the game rather than let players play.

City and Chelsea fans complaining about money and other oil clubs.

Siorac

Fernandinho, the guy can commit murder on the pitch and still walk away without a card.
Ndidi seems to have the same immunity. I'm trying to formulate a theory about 'highly rated defensive midfielders' in this regard.

Swivel Hips

Goalkeepers holding the ball for longer than the permitted 6 seconds, it happens a lot yet not one free kick or booking.

Swivel Hips

Ndidi seems to have the same immunity. I'm trying to formulate a theory about 'highly rated defensive midfielders' in this regard.
the same could be said about Kante, also I remember when Matic was at Chelsea, he was always stopping play with niggling fouls,yet very rarely got booked. One that is a bit of a mystery, despite Xhaka,s record of yellow/red cards he still gets away with far more fouls before he is bought to book. Poor old Scholesy, first foul in the book.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
Players never getting booked for diving or unsporting behaviour and conversely fouls not being given if a player tries to stay on their feet. Why actually encourage cheating, it's totally stupid.

Anustart89

To be fair, the referee can instruct the players how to not break the laws of the game.

In a recent Europa league game, our players were (apparently) too close to the wall on an attacking free kick, and instead of telling them to move away the ref let the free kick get taken and blew his whistle for a foul immediately as Telles (I think) struck the ball. That made me lose it completely.

It’s like a referee refusing to draw a line on where to place the wall during a free kick, noticing that the wall is too close and instead of telling them to back off just book everyone in the wall as the ball is struck. That doesn’t seem really fair to me.

Much better to tell them off before the corner but give the foul if the behaviour persists.

MU655

When a player is shielding the ball (mostly defenders), gets touched slightly from behind and falls down like they have been hit by a truck. And they always get the freekick.

I always find football in general more annoying to watch after seeing rugby. I could barely stand all the softness after watching the rugby world cup.

Anustart89

I don’t mind players shielding the ball in the corner, if they have it under their control.

What I think is really unfair is when defenders ‘shepherd’ the ball out, ie deliberately obstruct the attacking player by backing into them while making absolutely no attempt to play the ball themselves. And if the attacking player makes a genuine attempt to get around the defender, and the defender falls over because they’re basically leaning on the attacker, 9 times out of 10 the ref will blow for a foul on the defender! That really grinds my gears.
Agree with this, touched on this before on the caf. We’re rewarding the guy who is doing absolutely everything in his power to prevent the ball from getting played and punishing the guy who is trying to play the ball, which would be exactly the opposite of the spirit of the game.

SirScholes

Agreed and surely falls under the rules of obstruction? No attempt to play the ball surely

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Defenders and keepers getting the softest fouls in their own third of the pitch. Maguire used to really annoy me with his falling onto the ball and looking to the ref any time he's pressed.

Keepers constantly get frees for their own errors in trying to reach crosses just for banging into a player.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Been waiting for this. On the caf, when theres a new signing and people feel the need to post chants they just made up. Cringe.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Players never getting booked for diving or unsporting behaviour and conversely fouls not being given if a player tries to stay on their feet. Why actually encourage cheating, it's totally stupid.
Villa got a player sent off for diving, 2nd yellow card, on sunday :)

But definitely agree, should happen more often.

stevoc

Been waiting for this. On the caf, when theres a new signing and people feel the need to post chants they just made up. Cringe.
Yeah that's horrible. Cringeworthy. Hate it.

So Sancho
He's going to be
So Sancho
He's got to be quick and strong enough
To cross it in
He's got to have, silky skills
Be able to really dribble

BFernandes

Silly and needless fouls given away

The ones that boil my piss the most is when someone is clearly shielding the ball and waiting for contact to come so they can hit the ground and win a cheap free kick. And the player obliges every single time.

Fred is a knob for it.

SAFMUTD

Diving, god I hate it. Have zero respect for divers, it gets into my nerves it's a tough sport it's a disgrace to the game when it happens.

MattofManchester

The theatrics when it comes to fouls. Not sure if they're trying to play football or audition for an acting role.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
When players lose a leg or get hit by a stray bullet to the head and resurrect 20 seconds later.

K stand Red

To be fair, the referee can instruct the players how to not break the laws of the game.

In a recent Europa league game, our players were (apparently) too close to the wall on an attacking free kick, and instead of telling them to move away the ref let the free kick get taken and blew his whistle for a foul immediately as Telles (I think) struck the ball. That made me lose it completely.

It’s like a referee refusing to draw a line on where to place the wall during a free kick, noticing that the wall is too close and instead of telling them to back off just book everyone in the wall as the ball is struck. That doesn’t seem really fair to me.

Much better to tell them off before the corner but give the foul if the behaviour persists.
I hear your argument but can not agree as you would have to warn any player not to potentially commit a foul prior to making a challenge, players know the rules can be reinforced prior to the match

Offsideagain

Refs who blow the whistle for the lightest of touches, and want to control the game rather than let players play.

City and Chelsea fans complaining about money and other oil clubs.
Agreed 100% with Fernandinho. If he played for any other team, he would be banned twice a year. I really hate players ‘taking one for the team’ in other words cheating. That applies to United players as well as others. I still believe a ten minute sin bin would sort it out.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Time wasting not being compensated correctly. Teams can waste 25 minutes of open play and the ref will add maybe 3 extra minutes on top of the regular stoppage time.