Stuff in football that really annoys you?

Bill Hartzia

If they did this matches would last ~50% longer. Spectators would need to set aside more time and more players would get injured from fatigue. They'd have to set a new clock for 60 mins to roughly get a 90 min game.
There is that, but players would adapt. I doubt the spectator would complain about getting more bang for their buck.

Of course, more of Moyes/LVG/Mourinho's teams may not be an entirely good thing...

Cabin Clown

The dorks who endlessly argue Messi vs Ronaldo in the comments section under articles on Facebook. A lot of the time the articles aren't even about them.

RochaRoja

Foreign pundits who pronounce English names completely wrong. Not really, but they do it just as much in my experience. It's to be expected.

Been watching a few Ukranian and Russian streams lately, Shaw is 'Show'. Used to catch some Lithuanian streams too where they'd randomly put 'us' or 'as' on the end of everyone's names as well as pronouncing things incorrectly. It's been a while and can't remember which way round it was but we either had 'Wine Rooneyus' or 'Wine-us Rooney' up front.
Not sure about Lithuanian but I know Latvian adds an S onto the end of all names so it could be related to that.

Check out United’s squad written in Latvian:

1 V Davids de Hea
2 A Viktors Lindelēfs
3 A Ēriks Baijī
4 A Fils Džonss
6 P Pols Pogba
7 U Aleksiss Sančess
8 P Huans Mata
9 U Romelu Lukaku
10 U Markuss Rešfords
11 U Antonī Marsiāls
12 A Kriss Smolings
13 V Lī Grānts
14 P Džese Lingārds
15 P Andreass Pereira
16 A Markoss Roho
17 P Fredži
18 A Ešlijs Jangs
20 A Diogu Dalots
21 P Anders Errera
22 V Serhio Romero
23 A Lūks Šo
25 P Antonio Valensija(kapteinis)
27 P Marvāns Felainī
31 P Nemaņa Matičs
36 A Mateo Darmians
39 P Skots Maktominejs

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
When the camera cuts to someone of note in the crowd, or shows a replay of something insignificant whilst the game is happening.

Usually it's an injured or suspended player in the executive box or something, or if Southgate (or another relevent NT manager) is at a game. Other times, it's just fecking Mick Hucknall. Do we need to know that they're there? And does the camera have to stay focused on them for long whilst actual football is happening?

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
When you are 1-0 down late on in a game and one of your players gives away a needless free kick trying to win the ball back.

Usually it takes another full minute before the game restarts.

RochaRoja

Champions League Round of 16 being stretched over 4 weeks.
Yeah, this is awful.

Wasn’t there a whole big thing about having early evening CL games at the start of the season which just turned out to be the Russian and Ukrainian clubs playing early like always and then not carried on into the knockouts?

Now you have four games in a matchweek and two of them clash with the other two. The dumbest scheduling ever.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
When people complain about a team not "playing football" when special circumstances are present (massive injury list+ best player suspended). In general, not using context to just throw a bitter and salty analysis.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Not sure about Lithuanian but I know Latvian adds an S onto the end of all names so it could be related to that.
It possibly was Latvian actually. It's been a good 3 seasons since I've watched of those streams.

It was streams of Viasat Sport Baltic on Acestream - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viasat_Sport_Baltic From what I remember the person watching in their home and who was streaming it to the rest of the world had a choice of Latvian, Lithuanian or Estonian commentary, but obviously not the person watching the stream (me), we'd have to go with whatever the streamer went with.

I remember a couple of rare times it was in Estonian which I'm a little bit familiar with as a language so I knew it wasn't that one that puts the 's' sounds on the end. Estonian sounds very different anyway, and is related to Finnish in a way that Latvian and Lithuanian aren't. I might have been remembering which of remaining two possibilities (Latvian or Lithuanian) it actually was incorrectly, assuming both don't do it.

championo

Top Stalker
When I can't tell if a player is really hurt or if he is just acting to influence the ref. I really really hate those players who hold thier face when replays shows they were never touched anywhere near their face. I use to hate unfair penalty decisions but with VAR, I think I actually dread it more now since I don't know what I will do if I think something is not a penalty but VAR review calls penal.

Member 93275

When a team plays positive football and loses a game, they are naive, found out and should grow up. When a team plays negative football and loses a game, they don't get these qualifications.

UpWithRivers

I’ll start with:

People that support more than one club. It really irks me.

I just don’t understand how you can share a passion for more than one team, I simply don’t care for anyone apart from my beloved United.

I’m not a top red or super fan. I just don’t think it’s possible to love more than one club.
Get a room...

Brophs

The One and Only
Players taking an age to get ready to come on as subs and faffing about with their shirt and sock strappings and the like. It's literally your job, you massive tit.

sideshow_bob

Supports
Healthy nutrition
Having the 'away goals' rule still apply during extra time in European cup competitions. It's simply unfair!

Oaencha

I’ll start with:

People that support more than one club. It really irks me.

I just don’t understand how you can share a passion for more than one team, I simply don’t care for anyone apart from my beloved United.

I’m not a top red or super fan. I just don’t think it’s possible to love more than one club.
This is a pretty unreasonable thing to get annoyed about. I’m a lifelong Man Utd fan but I’m also passionate about AFC Wimbledon as I’ve spent many years of my life living here. I care more about Utd but I still watch Wimbledon live and want them to do well.

This doesn’t make me any less of a fan for either team. If you’re just passionate about Utd then great but a person can easily love two similar things in life.

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
Double standards.

When fans expect loyalty from players, but as soon as the player stops performing they want to get rid of him.

Also players who want to stay in their club are called unambitious and "wanting to stay in their comfort zone", because they don't want to join your club, but if someone from your club goes to a bigger one is called a "traitor"; doing it for "the money".

Besically, fans don't care about morals as long as their club is benefiting from the transfer.

Last edited by a moderator:

An Irish Red

When the opposition goalkeeper catches an easy cross and then theatrically throws himself to the ground afterwards, as if to pretend that he had to dive to catch it, solely to waste time.

It's funny when De Gea does it mind. I don't mind that.

Needham

When people say "the Cliff" or "Melwoodbeast" like they fecking live there.

purgethefallen

Do you go to many/any United games out of interest?

One of my pet hates is people who "support" a team who have never been anywhere near the place.
I've been a United fan since 1968 but never been to OT. Does that mean I'm not a proper fan?

For what it's worth, the little money I have I've spent watching my local ice hockey team (first Southampton Vikings and now Basingstoke Bison). Also, didn't help that my dad is from Liverpool and supports them amd my mum was a Southampton supporter.

With regards to this thread, my biggest annoyance is players who fall over and roll about the moment anyone breathes on them.

UnitedChampionsAgain

When other clubs bring in a 50 million pound player and he's an instant success. We buy one and it takes a season for him to learn how to play football.

purgethefallen

I know what you mean, it can be annoying sometimes. I've been called a glory hunter by a guy who changed from Liverpool to spurs (the season spurs finally finished above pool), and a Liverpool fan who fully supported leicester when they won the league (bought a shirt and everything).

I had an awkward moment at work, where a Chelsea and Arsenal fan were saying the usual jokes about United fans, I pulled a ticket from the previous night's game out of my jacket. Asked them when they last went to a match - they both went quiet and the topic of conversation was changed quickly.

If they did this matches would last ~50% longer. Spectators would need to set aside more time and more players would get injured from fatigue. They'd have to set a new clock for 60 mins to roughly get a 90 min game.
It would be easier but require a major change in football around the globe.

Never understood why there isn't an off-pitch timekeeper with a very visible clock. Matches to be 60 minutes long (2 x 30 mins). Timewasting no longer would be worth it and fans would know exactly how long to go, so there'd be no arguments about fergie time, etc.

The Nani

Fans who are obsessed with the financial side of their club like incomings and outgoings, sponsorship deals and the like.

Like, sure, have an interest. But some fans go through it all with a fine tooth comb.
It’s almost like moral justification though. The money in the game these days is Looney Tunes. It’s hard enough to like the players even when they’re performing. I just wanna feel like my club is well run. Not mugs getting pilfered by a bunch of overpaid, out of touch twats.

Juan King Dead

A. Two goal patterns against United :

1. Our DMs not closing down some open shots outside the area. I can remember the (iconic for this situation) Modric goal , who found open space in front of Carrick. I don't know why we can't defend this.

2. Corners and free kicks defending has been ridiculous after Fergie left.

B. People comparing Messi to Ronaldo.

C. Cantona and Best not being young forever.

St Red

KRAP
Supporters who cant be objective and honest about their rivals, because well they're our rivals.
Shows them up as the clueless football fans they are.

MarkK

Supports
Bayern Munich
FIFA and its decisions. Corrupt cheats, all of them.

Paul_Scholes18

Double standards.

When fans expect loyalty from players, but as soon as the player stops performing they want to get rid of him.

Also players who want to stay in their club are called unambitious and "wanting to stay in their comfort zone", because they don't want to join your club, but if someone from your club goes to a bigger one is called a "traitor"; doing it for "the money".

Besically, fans don't care about morals as long as their club is benefiting from the transfer.
True I see that a lot. We want the better players to move to better teams yet at the same time wants players to stay too.

I am fine with a mix though. I like that Kane stays loyal for Spurs though. Hopefully our guys Lingard and Rashford will stay too for a long time.

Paul_Scholes18

How slow VAR is sometimes and still get things wrong annoys me. I know it is not easy, but it mess up the game.

Needham

Bland dumb indifference of ex-players to reality when they appear in the world of punditry. Eg,Jermaine "JJ" Jenas and Glen Johnson on the Big Weekend Preview pod last night talking about appearing in an upcoming all stars game. Jenas said he hasn't got any boots, adding he doesn't know where he'll get any, saying he'll "have to approach Nike". Try the fecking shops like everyone else, JJ.

DavidDeSchmikes

The apologetic celebration players do when they score against their former team. When they put their hands up as if to say 'I'm Sorry' for scoring

stevoc

People who complain about players arguing and/or swearing with or at the Ref over clearly incorrect decisions. Especially if they say they wish football was more like Rugby where all the players are so respectful, if you're so offended by it then just watch fecking Rugby.

el3mel

People discussing net spend.

People discussing expected goals stats.

People calling you agenda driven because you criticized a player.

People calling you apologist because you defended a player.

People still discussing Messi VS Ronaldo in 2019.