Suarez bites | "sorry for falling into him and biting him and that"

Thom

Because he bit someone, For the third time. And then reacted as if nothing was wrong.

Forget Liverpool, it's nothing to do with them. It's about punishing Suarez. No way FIFA were going to let him play domestic football straight away, that wouldn't have been a serious enough punishment.

That's why anyone who thought it wouldn't affect his domestic season, like you, were wide of the mark.
Please quote yourself stating he would certainly be punished in his domestic season as well before the announcement was made by FIFA.

There was uncertainty that FIFA even had legislation to punish him in national governing bodies before the announcement.

And where was this talk when Pepe did his 'thing' for ninth time in what.. 2 years?

Rowem

gently, down the stream
the football ban for 4 months needs to start when the EPL begins because if that is not the case then technically he will only be suspended 2 months from his club.

Well obviously that will have been taken into account when the ban was decided upon. I find it staggering that so many people keep posting this.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Only in a small minority of cases.

Besides the Uruguayans are bound to come up with something really comical in the appeal and FIFA wont be impressed.
I'm actually quite concerned about that. I hope Tabarez keeps the team's head screwed on tight but I have absolutely no idea what Balbi may do, he is flying to Spain to get together with some lawyers who will work on this on Suarez' behalf (remember his agent is Pere Guardiola).

Can't shake the feeling it may turn into some comical Ander Herrera Mark II :rolleyes:

I only think there's room for appealing the total ban on any sort of football activity. Barring a player from training with his team is pretty fecking outrageous if you ask me. Has it ever been done? How on earth does it help? All it will make him is unfit/not up to speed when he returns, exactly the sort of scenario where he resorts to this shit.

I'm happy though he has promptly left the UY camp and is flying out of Brazil today. That was something that, again, was none of FIFA's business (how can they possibly tell you where you are allowed to physically be as a free individual? christ...). I'm hoping taking that one on the chin with no defiance is an indication of remorse and willingness to buck up.

Yea but you thought the denial was a good tactic, so....
I didn't think it was a good tactic, just that it was the only option. Different things.

Reddevilboy

Supports
Brexit
They should have banned him for the number of matches instead of months because technically, he is only missing out 2 months of the EPL which is pretty lenient considering it's his third offence.

Phil Duck

I think is the most naive thing in the world to think Real and Barcelona are not interested in Suarez anymore just because of this incident. If anything this is going to help them to get the player, since the british are the only ones this attached to extreme moral values.

red_devil83

They should have banned him for the number of matches instead of months because technically, he is only missing out 2 months of the EPL which is pretty lenient considering it's his third offence.
As I understand it, he will miss 21 competitive games. Which is a fairly hefty ban.

red_devil83

I think is the most naive thing in the world to think Real and Barcelona are not interested in Suarez anymore just because of this incident. If anything this is going to help them to get the player, since the british are the only ones this attached to extreme moral values.
When did not biting people become 'extreme'?

Thisistheone

Please quote yourself stating he would certainly be punished in his domestic season as well before the announcement was made by FIFA.

There was uncertainty that FIFA even had legislation to punish him in national governing bodies before the announcement.

And where was this talk when Pepe did his 'thing' for ninth time in what.. 2 years?
Here are three:

Needs to be a global ban. Imaging the outrage if Liverpool miss him for 6 months or more.
I honestly think he's going to get hammered here. Fifa will nail him. To do this on the global stage, Fifa's baby, in Brazil, in front of millions during a tournament that is getting praised for it's exciting football...

The last world cup he was involved in a cheating storm v Ghana. Between tournaments he's been found guilty of making racist comments to a player, biting other players. And now he's come out with these comments today saying "these things happen"

Suarez is fecked. No doubt. And Liverpool will suffer for it.
We will soon see. This is a first. Never has a player bit someone in a World Cup, Fifa's baby, their cash cow, which gets viewed by billions of people around the world. On top of that he has previous for biting & judging by his comments last night, isn't sorry for his actions. He's asking for it imo.

I really think it will be a severe punishment which will affect Liverpool as well as Uruguay.
Good enough for you?

There was no uncertainty about FIFA being able to do it, just some who didn't want to believe it.

As for Pepe, what he did and has done doesn't even compare to Suarez.

antohan

I can't see Uruguay admitting anything.

Lot's of South American cultures place a high value on protecting their own…it's called individualism v collectivism.

I use this in cultural training with my work and it's an extensive study but here is a brief Wiki overview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstede's_cultural_dimensions_theory

In some research undertaken by cultural expert Hofstede, he analysed the responses people would give to the police in different types of circumstances.

In Europe, individual integrity is a massive thing, so if someone in your family killed someone (as an extreme example), you would be honest with the police and NOT support your family member. Doing the right thing and taking personal responsibility is critical…it's about being honest within societal norms.

South American countries ranked the lowest to this question, saying they wouldn't help police and would 100% back their own. They have a collective view on responsibility and as a consequence incredible loyalty to each other regardless of the behaviour.

So there is a culture clash here between European press demanding one thing and a Uruguayan Football Team responding completely different. It has nothing to do with whether or not the Uruguay FA, management or players saw anything, agree Suarez bit someone or think he should be punished.

It is totally within their cultural norm to protect their own and admit nothing.

It's not right or wrong….it's just different.
Excellent post which of course gets buried in the constant renditions of "idiots", "comical", :lol:s at Lugano and various statements about hating Uruguay because of the way this was handled.

Lugano's comments straight off the bat were silly and off the mark but his continued support of Luis is to be expected, as will be the team as one being behind him, even if many of them will be disappointed in how this has affected our chances.

The moment you go into admissions of guilt and pointing fingers at each other they lose one of the core values that makes them such a tight unit. This team has never been about every man for himself, they won't now collapse in the knowledge they have a ready excuse and blame it all on FIFA, unfairness, etc. The way they are wired they'll try their best for Luis. Whether what he did was right or wrong is irrelevant, there's only one conduct and approach that is consistent with their mindset and what makes them gel and perform as a team.

I was interviewed before the England game and told the reporter I expected to find our way through to the next round simply because this team always, invariably, delivered when in those situations. I can go as far back as 2009 and they only ever lost one game that really really mattered (the semi in 2010, still punching above our weight with a 3-2 loss while Suarez was suspended and Lugano injured). I have absolutely no idea how we will go about scoring against Colombia, but I wouldn't be surprised if we manage an upset there.

Phil Duck

When did not biting people become 'extreme'?
Extreme to the point of not wanting the player is an exaggeration that only englishman would understand. Let´s not forget this is the same nation that crucified Cristiano Ronaldo for blinking in 2006.

zain

Believe
I can't see Uruguay admitting anything.

Lot's of South American cultures place a high value on protecting their own…it's called individualism v collectivism.

I use this in cultural training with my work and it's an extensive study but here is a brief Wiki overview.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hofstede's_cultural_dimensions_theory

In some research undertaken by cultural expert Hofstede, he analysed the responses people would give to the police in different types of circumstances.

In Europe, individual integrity is a massive thing, so if someone in your family killed someone (as an extreme example), you would be honest with the police and NOT support your family member. Doing the right thing and taking personal responsibility is critical…it's about being honest within societal norms.

South American countries ranked the lowest to this question, saying they wouldn't help police and would 100% back their own. They have a collective view on responsibility and as a consequence incredible loyalty to each other regardless of the behaviour.

So there is a culture clash here between European press demanding one thing and a Uruguayan Football Team responding completely different. It has nothing to do with whether or not the Uruguay FA, management or players saw anything, agree Suarez bit someone or think he should be punished.

It is totally within their cultural norm to protect their own and admit nothing.

It's not right or wrong….it's just different.
With all due respect, bullshit..
It is WRONG..

Just because it is cultural, doesn't make it 'not wrong.'
It is wrong...

louvega

I didn't think it was a good tactic, just that it was the only option. Different things.
I disagree with this. If Suárez had sincerely apologized after the match and accepted responsability for any possible sanction everything would have been much better, even if he had got the same punishment. Whoever at the Uruguay FA thought denial was a good tactic to face this situation needs to think again. The whole Uruguay FA have made themselves look ridiculous at world stage.

The only option when you get caught on camera, in front of the whole world, is to admit your guilt.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I disagree with this. If Suárez had sincerely apologized after the match and accepted responsability for any possible sanction everything would have been much better, even if he had got the same punishment. Whoever at the Uruguay FA thought denial was a good tactic to face this situation needs to think again. The whole Uruguay FA have made themselves look ridiculous at world stage.

The only option when you get caught on camera, in front of the whole world, is to admit your guilt.
Yep, and hope by doing so you get a lighter punishment for confessing.

Rafateria

I think that's because they pin the hopes of their national team on Suarez, though.

I blame their World Cup wins. It must have a strange effect having two world cups to your name but having been largely irrelevant in world football for half a century.
With only 3m people .. but two world class players ... they must have thought they had a chance this year. It is soul-destroying when the dream dies.

red_devil83

Extreme to the point of not wanting the player is an exaggeration that only englishman would understand. Let´s not forget this is the same nation that crucified Cristiano Ronaldo for blinking in 2006.
I'd just call it common decency. I'd be concerned if we bought a player who had bitten someone before or was an open racist. What Ronaldo did was condemnable but the tabloid press here try to stir things up a lot. They don't necessarily reflect the mood of the nation.

It does seem that most other countries are happy to cheat as much as possible and hope they don't get caught though. The Uruguayans must be morally bankrupt frankly.

Phil Duck

I feel simpathy for Luis Suarez. T he way english people eact to these kind of things is just ridiculous but funny at the same time. "this is wrong", "this is right", "I am right". It is really a fecked up society at so many levels, no wonder Americans are that way too (even worst in my opinion)

There´s an obsession to apply their moral standars to the rest of the world, something that deep down is racist to me, englishman see the the rest of the globe as uncivilized creatures which give them the right to "educate" them into the right way of acting and thinking.

This is in a more deeper lair connected to the Hegelian philosophy and the neo hegelianism, and those are the philosophical foundations for colonialism and imperialism. But hey, thats another story.

MarylandMUFan

I feel simpathy for Luis Suarez. T he way english people eact to these kind of things is just ridiculous but funny at the same time. "this is wrong", "this is right", "I am right". It is really a fecked up society at so many levels, no wonder Americans are that way too (even worst in my opinion)

There´s an obsession to apply their moral standars to the rest of the world, something that deep down is racist to me, englishman see the the rest of the globe as uncivilized creatures which give them the right to "educate" them into the right way of acting and thinking.

This is in a more deeper lair connected to the Hegelian philosophy and the neo hegelianism, and those are the philosophical foundations for colonialism and imperialism. But hey, thats another story.
In what culture is randomly biting someone during a football match considered okay? Just curious.

Silent_Running

Dr. John Hammond

You've got to be kidding me, I have no love for England as a nation for its past and I still think Suarez' ban was lenient. I think you'll find there was outrage coming from every part of the world.

Anyway, I came in here to post this quote from RAWK:

"A drug problem would be his choice to take the drugs in the first place knowing he was doing something wrong but doing it anyway, his biting (imo) is a emotional reaction with no premeditated thought about it.
I can't really compare the two for that reason."

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=314821.2240

antohan

With all due respect, bullshit..
It is WRONG..

Just because it is cultural, doesn't make it 'not wrong.'
It is wrong...
Because your view of right and wrong is framed by the actual act, your values are such that it is all about whether the act is right or wrong. What that post indicates is certain cultures have different priorities, their values focus on a different type of right and wrong. Not protecting your own is "wronger" than whether the act is right or not for us. I know it sounds ridiculous to you but it's not a logical formula, it's the nuances of cultures and how certain things take precedence.

I don't expect you to agree, just to open your mind a bit to the possibility that some people have a different way of going about things that is hardwired into them from the moment they are born. If that applies to South Americans, imagine how much more it applies to Uruguayans, stuck in between two much much larger countries they constantly had to engage in wars against to keep their independence.

It's one of the things that explains how a country with 3M people can have 2 WCs, 2 Olympic Golds, 15 Copa Americas (more than Argentina or Brasil) and its clubs have 8 continental tournos and 6 Intercontinental ones. Name me countries with comparable records, you will struggle to get to five and they all have at least 15 times our population.

Phil Duck

I'd just call it common decency. I'd be concerned if we bought a player who had bitten someone before or was an open racist. What Ronaldo did was condemnable but the tabloid press here try to stir things up a lot. They don't necessarily reflect the mood of the nation.

It does seem that most other countries are happy to cheat as much as possible and hope they don't get caught though. The Uruguayans must be morally bankrupt frankly.
What Roy Keane did is far worst than what Suarez did. I do not judge either of them, that's not my position in life or my way of seeing things.

Don't talk of the uruguayans as a morally bankrup nation if yours is responsible for the death of millions of people through history and the biggest atrocities of all time in economical, social and political levels. Defending the actions of a football player hardly define the course of a nation, wars, colonization, imperialism, capitalism, all of them in its worst form do define a nation and has defined the Britsh Empire for the last two centuries.

Do you really want to talk about moral values?

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
What Roy Keane did is far worst than what Suarez did. I do not judge either of them, that's not my position in life or my way of seeing things.

Don't talk of the uruguayans as a morally bankrup nation if yours is responsible for the death of millions of people through history and the biggest atrocities of all time in economical, social and political levels. Defending the actions of a football player hardly define the course of a nation, wars, colonization, imperialism, capitalism, all of them in its worst form do define a nation and has defined the Britsh Empire for the last two centuries.

:lol:

Talk about goalpost moving.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

Promote the duck! He's amazing.

Phil Duck

In what culture is randomly biting someone during a football match considered okay? Just curious.
Well, the british idolize war lords as Winston Churchill or Margaret Thatcher, there are strange moral standars all over the world. Defending Luis Suarez for his stupidity during a football match hardly makes the Uruguayans the worst of the lot.

antohan

You are thinking about what gets the lowest sentence, not what is best for the team, the fans, the entire setup... We don't go out without a fight, even if it is a losing battle. If Suarez did that the entire team and travelling fans would have felt like "feck's sake Luis, that's game over now" and the wind would come out of their sails. The display against Colombia would have been horrendously bad and half-arsed.

It isn't just all those acting like madmen prioritising the collective and protecting Suarez, Suarez too acted in accordance with what was best for the collective. Mind, I don't think he did it as a result of a careful analysis, etc. it's just instinctive.

Last edited:

red_devil83

Yes. I want to talk about moral values. In sport.

Talk about goalpost moving.
Quite

zain

Believe
Because your view of right and wrong is framed by the actual act, your values are such that it is all about whether the act is right or wrong. What that post indicates is certain cultures have different priorities, their values focus on a different type of right and wrong. Not protecting your own is "wronger" than whether the act is right or not for us. I know it sounds ridiculous to you but it's not a logical formula, it's the nuances of cultures and how certain things take precedence.

I don't expect you to agree, just to open your mind a bit to the possibility that some people have a different way of going about things that is hardwired into them from the moment they are born. If that applies to South Americans, imagine how much more it applies to Uruguayans, stuck in between two much much larger countries they constantly had to engage in wars against to keep their independence.

It's one of the things that explains how a country with 3M people can have 2 WCs, 2 Olympic Golds, 15 Copa Americas (more than Argentina or Brasil) and its clubs have 8 continental tournos and 6 Intercontinental ones. Name me countries with comparable records, you will struggle to get to five and they all have at least 15 times our population.
What is this 'own' you talk about?
Just because someone happens to be born within the same national borders as you should mean f**k all as to whether that person is right or wrong in his actions..
If someone is wrong, they're wrong. If someone is protecting another person just because they're on the same football team as them, or because they're citizens of the same country..it is still wrong. It doesn't make it right.

Just because a certain culture has that attitude, doesn't make it right. Just because that formula works to achieve sporting greatness BETTER than other countries also doesn't make it right.
It is morally wrong. Just because diving and deceiving the referee works and gets you a winners medal/penalty, doesn't make it right.

feck everyone, including the Uruguayan FA, the captain, and any other human being who defends or turns a blind eye to Suarez assaulting another human being for the 3rd time..

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Well, the british idolize war lords as Winston Churchill or Margaret Thatcher, there are strange moral standars all over the world. Defending Luis Suarez for his stupidity during a football match hardly makes the Uruguayans the worst of the lot.
I'm curious, what nationality are you?

antohan

Yep, and hope by doing so you get a lighter punishment for confessing.
You really don't understand to what extent the shirt weighs on our players' shoulders and how much they are willing to sacrifice for it. It's the WC, it's all that fecking matters from the day you are born.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Marca and a couple of the other Madrid gossip reporters said about three weeks ago that Suarez was off the target list. Too expensive for someone who was not wanted by Ancelotti. Barcelona suddenly became the front-runners. I wasn't sure if it was true, a facesaving exercise, or just a negotiating lie.

However given the way they reacted to the bite incident, I'm guessing Madrid really aren't keen, at least not at the price quoted. Madrid take marketing potential into account when they do an expensive transfer - Suarez's valuation from their point of view will be even lower now.

Barcelona on the other hand still sound keen, with "club sources" briefing off the record that they were "surprised" by the incident but hadn't given up on the transfer. Their fans are very keen - something like 70% in the most recent polls are in favour of them buying him, though of course some of those yes votes might be from Madrid fans.