Television Succession

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
On Succession, I am so glad that all the little shit kids get owned in the end. That was so satisfying.

I also heard the Tom actor in an interview the other day and it was weird and surprising that to hear a british voice. That happens a lot with actors these days it seems.
Most Brits, Irish, Australians and Kiwis probably know him from things like Spooks and Ripper Street, so the accent wouldn't be a surprise. However, I'm not sure how popular such shows were in the US or Canada (and maybe lots of other places).

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
It is but I wonder how well it has aged technology wise? Might be fine as that as the technology at the time of course.

And to anyone watching it for the firt time remember that it is a very slow burn at first so stick with it for at least 5 episodes.
I don't really see the issue, sure it's "dated", as is anything from any era in time that focuses on technology, but that doesn't mean it's aged poorly. The core of the show is about intemporal themes (politics, how a society works, corruption, etc.) which ensures it will remain relevant for as long as people watch it, in my mind.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
I don't really see the issue, sure it's "dated", as is anything from any era in time that focuses on technology, but that doesn't mean it's aged poorly. The core of the show is about intemporal themes (politics, how a society works, corruption, etc.) which ensures it will remain relevant for as long as people watch it, in my mind.
I hope so as I loved the show. It just crossed my mind that it might not have aged well.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I hope so as I loved the show. It just crossed my mind that it might not have aged well.
I think you're the second person to suggest this but yeah I don't really see how a show that's literally about how they had to use the tech available at the time could ever look dated. It's part of the whole story.

Also I rewatched it last year and it's still excellent and resonates to this day imo. In fact I found I understood and appreciated it more now that I'm older and more (cynically) aware of how the world works.

dinostar77

I'm up to speed on Foundation. Not sure what to make of season 2 so far. If you enjoy that and somehow haven't already, watch The Expanse.
Are Apple still planning a full 10 season run? The budget for this must br astronomical. I am enjoying it, though personally rate The Expanse higher than Foundation on screen so far.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Started watching this. 3 episodes in it feels like a serious version of Arrested Development. Not sure if that's a compliment.

Donut

Finished season 1. It’s a pretty great show, funny too. The opening song is an absolute banger.

The only thing I didn’t like in season 1 was the
how the vote of no confidence went. Why did Roman change his mind? I guess he was scared of daddy. But I didn’t like how it wasn’t even referenced after.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Finished season 1. It’s a pretty great show, funny too. The opening song is an absolute banger.

The only thing I didn’t like in season 1 was the
how the vote of no confidence went. Why did Roman change his mind? I guess he was scared of daddy. But I didn’t like how it wasn’t even referenced after.
I think they all probably knew secretly he’d fall in line. Also Kendall wasn’t there to back him up in person so lost his confidence.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yeah I think it's just meant to underline how little of a backbone they generally speaking have, and how crushed by their father's presence they are. Don't feel it needed to be hammered home, it was pretty clear subtext.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Yeah the "You'd better be smelling your fecking armpit, Romulus." line from Logan just makes Rom pussy out. There's no Kendall there to embolden him.

sugar_kane

This is possibly the first ever TV show which I binge watched from start to finish and then began a rewatch immediately. So much better the second time as well.

I think I might be an arsehole as I really sympathise with Kendall almost throughout. He's a douchebag, but he really cares and knows more about the business than anyone seems to give him credit for. The others seem to covet the CEO position because of the power or entitlement but for him it's a matter of life and death.

Also, I'm annoyed on Jeremy Strong's behalf that people seem to mock his method acting approach. Nothing wrong with taking your craft seriously.

Last edited:

Scandi Red

Hates Music.
I think I might be an arsehole as I really sympathise with Kendall almost throughout.

Nah, I think that is the most reasonable "stance" all things considered.

Kendall lost in pretty much every single way in the end. He got fecked over left and right throughout the entire series and in the end he lost his one purpose in life.

Things could realistically not have turned out better for Roman. Connor was never in the race and was the only one who seemed to actually have a relationship with Logan. Shiv had a rough ending too, but she was also far less likeable than Kendall. He only had one purpose in life, whereas Shiv only wanted to win.

I don't think Kendall would make a very good CEO though. Better than his siblings for sure, but that's a pretty low bar.

Golden Nugget

Just finished this and read through the posts here since season 4. Just some thoughts:
  • Amazing show, great acting and great storyline. I didn’t get the comparisons with The Office; for me it was always a drama with some dark comedy rather than a comedy. Either way, definitely one of the best series I’ve seen
  • Seemed like a lot of people didn’t like season 4, but for me, it was the best one and it wrapped up most of the story built in the first 3 seasons
  • Couldn’t stand Shiv for most of the season; absolutely hated her by the end of it - which shows what a great job the writers and the actress did with her character
  • If anyone checks IMDB, you’d probably be misdirected like I was. Usually the protagonist is the first on the list - I understand there wasn’t a protagonist in the story, but I’d argue it would have been Ken, Roman or Shiv, or even Logan. Ken was 6th on the list, which made me think he wouldn’t last all 4 seasons… the first billing was Greg, so I kept thinking they were building him up to take over everything at the end
  • Connor is great and is probably how I would act if I was born a billionaire