Music Sufjan Stevens

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
Sufjan Stevens is the perfect rejoinder to any 33 year old former Soundgarden fan who thinks the shite on his FM station represents the cream of contemporary music and complains that there's no great artists any more.

That album is actually better than sex, sometimes.

Wittmann45

Sufjan Stevens is the perfect rejoinder for any 33 year old former Soundgarden fan who thinks the shite on his FM station represents the cream of contemporary music and complains that there's no great artists any more.

What about his other stuff...how good is it (that's if you've listened to any of his other albums)?

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Someone was telling me a few months ago about how he planned to do an album for every state, which I thought was a bit mental. I've never actually listened to his stuff though, but by the looks of things he seems to be very prolific. Anyone care to post up some of his better songs?

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
He's a genius. 'Seven Swans' is probably an album which captures the feelings of religious awe, reverence and doubt better than any other. Wish he would tour over here more often though.

Member 39557

I'm a 33 year old former soundgarden fan. Will I like him?

Is he better than Shakin' Stevens?

Melbourne Red

Still hasn't given Rain Dog another chance
Supports
Liverpool
I'm a 33 year old former soundgarden fan. Will I like him?

Is he better than Shakin' Stevens?
I'm a 23 year old Nirvana fan and I think he sounds like sex.

What about his other stuff...how good is it (that's if you've listened to any of his other albums)?
Refer to MikeDownSouth's post above.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Oh great, another peson I can mix up with Shakin' Stevens and Cat Stevens, and make myself look like a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.

datura

One of the songs discarded from Illinoise (appears on The Avalanche) I think is fantastic:

I think occasionally some of the arrangements are overly fussy, but appreciate the ambition. Another album (not instrumental) is long overdue.

Wittmann45

Just listened to most of 'Michigan'

I thought the first song Flint was good, so was Detroit and I really liked Romulus.

Overall, another great album, but I think I still liked Illinoise more.

Doogie

Illinois is better, no doubt about that. Seven Swans comes close behind with Michigan being his third best album (even fourth if you count the Christmas Album, which was great).
His other albums are not as strong though they are all above average.

chewingkebabs

Someone was telling me a few months ago about how he planned to do an album for every state, which I thought was a bit mental. I've never actually listened to his stuff though, but by the looks of things he seems to be very prolific. Anyone care to post up some of his better songs?
I think he abandoned that project two states in. I like him well enough. "Casimir Pulaski Day" is another great song from the Illinois album.

Myxomatosis

United fan? My arse. WUM masquerades
John Wayne Gacey Jnr is a brilliant song, but I could never get into anything else he did on Illinois and Seven Swans.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
To Be Alone With You is one of my favourite songs, but I can't get into him other than that.

Kinky Melinky

Sufjan Stevens is the perfect rejoinder to any 33 year old former Soundgarden fan who thinks the shite on his FM station represents the cream of contemporary music and complains that there's no great artists any more.

Nicely put

Easy V

So Sufjan's new album, The Age of Adz, has leaked online if anybody is interested. It's a huge departure from his last few LP's and more a return to his earlier, electronic work like Enjoy Your Rabbit. It also features a 25-minutes closing track. I've only had enough time to give it a couple of spins, but loving it so far; it still shows off much of his melodic and lyrical flair, but surrounded by layers and layers of glitchy beats (there are large parts of the album that remind me of a more noisy Postal Service), and even some autotune thrown in near the end.

Worth a listen if you're a fan, could be his best work yet. Or his worst. I'm still not sure.

Untied

So Sufjan's new album, The Age of Adz, has leaked online if anybody is interested. It's a huge departure from his last few LP's and more a return to his earlier, electronic work like Enjoy Your Rabbit. It also features a 25-minutes closing track. I've only had enough time to give it a couple of spins, but loving it so far; it still shows off much of his melodic and lyrical flair, but surrounded by layers and layers of glitchy beats (there are large parts of the album that remind me of a more noisy Postal Service), and even some autotune thrown in near the end.

Worth a listen if you're a fan, could be his best work yet. Or his worst. I'm still not sure.
I think it is a superb album. I love the contrast of the electronic scrapes and whines with his beautiful vocal melodies.

SecondFig

I was a bit disappointed in his new one on first listen, but not given it a real go yet. That said, I was never a big fan of Enjoy Your Rabbit.

alan_nis

I saw him live last night and it was one of the most remarkable shows I've ever been to. On "Impossible Soul" the whole venue almost exploded. There're still a few shows in UK coming up so don't miss them.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I've heard some of his songs. Not a great to be fair, but I find voices like his a little self indulgent, I'm not sure why. But have to listen to more to judge him properly as an artist.

The_Red_Hope

I think he's great. One of my favourites from the current lot. Illinois can be heard on repeat without getting boring.

The_Red_Hope

Listening to it now, and even though I have never been to Chicago, the chorus on 'Come On! Feel the Illinoise!' gives me goosebumps. Don't know why, good song.

PeteReDevil

iPete
Only have Illinoise too myself. Would love to get the rest of his albums. Any one of them in particular I should start with?

Laphroaig

I'm seeing SS tomorrow. I've had a look at their recent setlists and it's mostly songs from Adz (but their encores appears to be amazing). I've barely listened to it, so I "bought" it yesterday. It seems like a very good album. I'm sure I'll enjoy it.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The All Delighted People EP was great I thought. Better than Age of Adz. Though a bit indulgent. At least 2 of the songs could've easily had 5 minutes cut off them...But he's one of those artists that likes to go on a bit.

Incidentally, I've become mildly obsessed with this, mainly due to the fact that it's still as of yet unreleased and unrecorded and only exists in fan-remastered live form, this version probably being the best.

The Sleeping Red Wolves from the BQE is also a rare gem that's not on any albums..

Mike thinks he's gay.

Laphroaig

Physically he reminds me a lot about Jamie Stewart, and his sexuality is certainly ... complex.

Mockney

Went to his gig at the Royal Festival hall a few weeks back and we were pretty sure his warm up act was one long paean to one mans struggle with his sexuality. There was some reference to it "hurting when you put it in me" but I could very well be deliberately and grossly misremembering that...it certainly went well with Sufjans encore of "Boy, we made such a mess, togetheeeeerrrrr" at any rate.

Then again, it could've all been about Jesus.

Laphroaig

DM Smith? Missed most of his act where I saw him trying to find out where the feck I was sat. Got thrown out of most of the areas. Typical Germans.

Mockney

Yes. That's the chap. There was a really good tune in there, though it had possibly the most pretentious title I've ever heard. It sounded slightly better with horns on it too tbf..

Now if ever there was a man struggling with his sexuality...

Mockney

I'm finding this very soothing at the moment.

In a sort of shut my eyes with big headphones on type of a way.

I am pretty drunk though.