Music Sufjan Stevens

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Death With Dignity, Should Have Known Better, Eugene, The Only Thing and NSITSOTC are all really good.

Like this album.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Prefer Shaking Stevens myself.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Not in love with the album on first listen. All a bit airy, closeted, folk Sufjan for my taste. I like my Sufjan eclectic, multi-instrumental, and flaming.

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Took me a few listens to like most of the songs. Thought the same at first.

Unlikely lad

Not in love with the album on first listen. All a bit airy, closeted, folk Sufjan for my taste. I like my Sufjan eclectic, multi-instrumental, and flaming.
Thought the same at first. Lacks the grand arrangements and general craziness of Adz and Delighted People. The songs are bit similar and at risk of all melting into a drab collection of Elliott Smith wannabe-ism.

Keep returning to it though, absolutely love it after a couple of listens. Death with dignity, Should have known better and All of me wants all of you are probably my favourites, although Fourth of July and No Shade are both brilliant too.

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
I prefer Folk Sufjan over weird experimental Sufjan; experimental is an excuse for making shit music, bit like Radiohead or its a bit like delicacies in food, a middle class excuse for eating shit thinking it makes them cool.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I prefer Folk Sufjan over weird experimental Sufjan; experimental is an excuse for making shit music, bit like Radiohead or its a bit like delicacies in food, a middle class excuse for eating shit thinking it makes them cool.
:eek::nono:

Do you hate Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band as well?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Like his new album with Angelo De Augustine quite a bit.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Will give it a listen. I still have Illinoise and Carrie & Lowell on regular rotation, but he does have such a prolific discography I can’t keep up at times.

stepic

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I guess this is him officially coming out too as a result of the dedication. Dude has been though a shitload this year with his own illness too

Will give it a listen when I can find a nice quiet time to give it my full attention. Love Sufjan
Yes to both - it’s been a rough year for him.

I always thought he was bisexual (still could be) but thought it was an open secret given some of the lyrics in some of his songs (To Be Alone With You, for example).

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's certainly getting glowing reviews. It's also quite an accessible album, one the people who liked albums like Carrie & Lowell and Illinoise can probably jump back in on.

There was good stuff on The Ascension but at 80min it was definitely too bloated. And I didn't even try Convocations, as I'm never going to be in the mood for a 49 track instrumental album.