Music Sufjan Stevens

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
This one's nice and soothing an all...

Hmmmm

And this one's about Jesus..But try and ignore that and just pretend it's about gay love instead. I find that much easier personally.

The_Red_Hope

This one's nice and soothing an all...

Hmmmm

And this one's about Jesus..But try and ignore that and just pretend it's about gay love instead. I find that much easier personally.

I've found his overtly christian song writing affect my appreciation for his music these days. Your right, i'm going to pretend he's madly in love with a bloke call Tobias and give Illinoise another listen now.

cinc

I dont mind people or musicians who believe in God, all that matters if their music is good or not. One of my favourite albums is The Life Of The World To Come by The Mountain Goats and on that all the songs are inspired and named by verses in the Bible.

Mockney

I've found his overtly christian song writing affect my appreciation for his music these days. Your right, i'm going to pretend he's madly in love with a bloke call Tobias and give Illinoise another listen now.
I dont mind people or musicians who believe in God, all that matters if their music is good or not. One of my favourite albums is The Life Of The World To Come by The Mountain Goats and on that all the songs are inspired and named by verses in the Bible.
I did find that, initially, i found it hard to take seriously. When you think a songs a love song, but actually turns out to be a paean to an invisible hippy god it does seem to lose a bit of intensity and become slightly sillier...But I've gotten over it tbh, Seven Swans live was probably the highlight of his Adzz Tour. And most of his recent stuff isn't religious at all.

decorativeed

I'm not at all religious. However, a lot of great songs are about (at least superficially) Jesus or the bible. My atheism doesn't stop me enjoying these:

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I quite like him. One of the more talented Elliott Smith wannabes.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Only recently started listening to his stuff. Casimir Pulaski Day is a beautifully sad song.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Only recently started listening to his stuff. Casimir Pulaski Day is a beautifully sad song.
You're in for a treat then. He's great.

Has anyone listened to Sisyphus yet?

Dante

Average bang
John Wayne Gacy Jr on Illinoise is one of the most poignant songs I've ever heard. Loved Michigan too.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
One of my favourite ever songs, really beautiful.

Illinoise is probably his best album but I really loved Age of Adz too.

Unlikely lad

His songwriting can be hit and miss, but he gets it right, he really gets it right. Casimir Pulaski Day might be one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. For those who haven't heard it, Majesty Snowbird is one of my favourites from him, unreleased though.

John Wayne Gacy Jr. is so fecking creepy.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I got Illinoise a few days ago and was listening to it when I heard Concerning the UFO Sighting Near Highland. It sounded pretty familiar.

Stevens was singing backup on one of the other songs from High Violet.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
Sufjan and Bryce Dessner did some pretty interesting work together the other year with that series of Planetarium live shows they did. Supposedly, they're dropping an album of it in the near future.

Mercury being the pick of bunch.

I'm not that arsed with the National really, I've never been able to get into them. Sufjan on the other hand would probably be top 3 in my artists of the last 15 years.

Mockney

Pretty middling Soof-yan that. Still, I'm sure the album will have a few gems. Don't think he's done an album or EP that haven't really liked at least something off. And he's done a lot of them.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I really like this unreleased track, especially the middle section.

Unlikely lad

Pretty middling Soof-yan that. Still, I'm sure the album will have a few gems. Don't think he's done an album or EP that haven't really liked at least something off. And he's done a lot of them.
Even his Christmas stuff?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Mike always used to bang on about the boring bastard.
What music do you tend to like? This guy's new album sounds (on first listen) much less avant-garde than his other stuff. I get a sort of Elliott Smith/ Nick Drake vibe off it. If that's not your thing then you should probably stay clear.

MoBeats

Conspiracy Buff
Oh great, another peson I can mix up with Shakin' Stevens and Cat Stevens, and make myself look like a Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime.
Damn, not only did someone get the joke in before me, but it was nearly a full 5 years. I'm going to have to shape up my comedy timing.

Unlikely lad

Like the album, some of those lyrics are obviously really personal ("When I was three, three maybe four, she left us at that video store"), bordering on uncomfortable voyeurism ("You checked your text while I masturbated") :lol: :nono: