Film Suicide Squad (2016)

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Whilst it seems mad that the first one has led to two follow-ups, it's madder that DC/Warner originally decided in the aftermath that it actually merited five.

Anyway, I like the font.

Dan

So the new one, by James Gunn, has a pretty eclectic cast...

It’s one of those where at least one name on every line is a potential “hold up wait, what!?” moment..

Genuinely not heard half of those names before.

Sylar

Hopefully they wont say 'but were bad guys' every second line in this one.
Is there a joke about Cena I am missing or are you confusing him with Batista?
Youre missing the joke. Cenas catchphrase is 'you cant see me' which leads to lots of invisibility memes :)

Eoin McMahon

I wish I could...
The trailers for Batman vs Superman and then Suicide Squad had me hyped. I love DC's realistic gritty themes and outlook and also the characters interest me a lot more with their backstory and mythos. What a letdown both were, BVS when released in the full cut is a great movie with a darker and mature telling of the battle between two of the biggest superheros of all time.This film should be have been as big a film as Avengers Endagame but of course BVS was a lot different to what Marvel were doing and Marvel were and still are THE masters of cinematic universe creating and along with DC's rush in trying to catch up meant the movie suffered from the expectation of being at least on par with The Avengers with a tenth of the world building.

Suicide Squad suffered the same exact fate in that in trying to rush the character development and fit all the characters backstory's into one film rather than develop it over time meant we lacked a connection with any of the characters and worst of all that one of the greatest villains even character of all time in the Joker was somehow made to be unanimously derided and that takes some doing. I could keep going for quite some time with the number of problems the movie had that led to it being poorly received by all but I feel DC has finally realized that trying to replicate the MCU' success isn't something that can be achieved in 2-3 movies and if they had not rushed the whole universe creation and taken it movie by movie then maybe they would now have a DCU that could continue to grow.

DC seems to have gone back to what they always done best and that is independent films that bring comic book character like Batman, Joker or Superman into a perspective we only get from DC. The Batman Trilogy is what DC should be looking at and trying to replicate and I think that with the upcoming Joker film that may be the case once again( basing off the unequivocal praise its received worldwide)

Will this era of superhero movies ever end? I don't think it will end until the movies begin to drop in quality and lose momentum. But one thing about the genius of these nonstop moneymaking blockbuster that is the genius in it all, the stories are there, the characters, the costumes, the locations all rich for the taking.
The likes of Thor, Batman or Wonder Woman will be here a while yet

Sylar

I dont think DC will ever have a true cinematic universe. I think we are going to get a load of movies not connected, but then some connected with different portrayals of the same character which might confuse some.

eg Joker isnt linked to anything. but then Suicide Squad is. However its not linked to the first one as its meant as a reboot, even though its bringing back some actors for characters. And then that makes it linked, but then we gonna get a new batman and possibly new superman? Yeah, they screwed up by not having a plan.

Eoin McMahon

I dont think DC will ever have a true cinematic universe. I think we are going to get a load of movies not connected, but then some connected with different portrayals of the same character which might confuse some.

eg Joker isnt linked to anything. but then Suicide Squad is. However its not linked to the first one as its meant as a reboot, even though its bringing back some actors for characters. And then that makes it linked, but then we gonna get a new batman and possibly new superman? Yeah, they screwed up by not having a plan.
Interesting yes I think they will probably see how each movie does before building any universe and it would be be great to see a good solo Batman and Superman reboot and then Flashpoint and Cyborg before even attempting another Justice League. If this was the case the Justice League would be another 5-6 years away at least and if WB can build a universe that has depth and structure then that would be a JL worth the wait.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Problem with suicide squad is that none of their abilities actually matters.

A girl who's good with a bad? Just shoot er
A boomerang moustache man? Shoot him
A good shooter? Bigger guns will do
A girl with a katana? Er.. shoot er?
Crocodile man? Maybe tranquilizer is enough

They should made it a full parody for laugh

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness

Right! DC is such a fecking mess. You could fire a bazooka at the lot of them and end the film in the first five minutes and do us all a favour. James Gunn will probably make it decently fun though, although so much of the cast is incredibly meh. I might be the only one who found Margot Robbie's character grating. Leto's joker was fecking appalling. Killer Croc is pointless. Jai Courtney went full Jai Courtney, and everybody knows you never go full Jai Courtney....

I love Taika Waititi though....so there's hope.

Sylar

I thought Jai Courtney was actually fine in the original SS movie.

Ubik

You're gonna be pissed off when you find out about Polka-Dot Man.

stepic

So the new one, by James Gunn, has a pretty eclectic cast...

It’s one of those where at least one name on every line is a potential “hold up wait, what!?” moment..

Why is Leto not listed?

Ubik

Ah, I thought someone said Joker and Harley would both be in it

Is there no Joker role at all then?
Not unless they've got a big surprise up their sleeves. No Joker, no Batman, no Deadshot. Yes King Shark.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Michael Rooker is the best cast. Love that guy.

I don't think this should be compared to how DC handle Aquaman, Wonder Woman etc. Reckon James Gunn is given free reign to do whatever the feck he likes without the worry of crossovers.