Film Suicide Squad (2016)

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Was thinking of somewhere to post to this image, thought I might as well start a Suicide Squad thread.

First official pic of Jared Leto as Joker:

I hate HATE the forehead 'Damaged' tattoo, otherwise I think it's a great Joker look. Really different from both Nicholson and Ledger's portrayals, but it nailed the hair and skin. Although I hope he's not topless much in the film.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
This will be shite.

Lynk

Obsessed with discrediting Danny Welbeck
Leto or the film?
The film, I really dislike everything I've seen and read about the" shared DC universe." ie everything from Man Of Steel onwards. It's trying too hard to capture the Avengers success imo but without any of the love or the fun those movies have. Just look at the cast for suicide squad, all A-listers with no connection except that they're A-listers.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
The film, I really dislike everything I've seen and read about the" shared DC universe." ie everything from Man Of Steel onwards. It's trying too hard to capture the Avengers success imo but without any of the love or the fun those movies have. Just look at the cast for suicide squad, all A-listers with no connection except that they're A-listers.
If superman was anything to go by it will be pure shite, as for the picture i hate the teeth it looks chavy.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
I can see Leto being good, even though I'm not a fan of the look. Rate him.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I can see Leto being good, even though I'm not a fan of the look. Rate him.
He's easy to dislike and dismiss but he's a quality actor. A bit like Brad Pitt back in the day, people were quick to write him off as a pretty boy but if you actually looked at his acting performances they were always top drawer.

Agree with OP though, that forehead tattoo is an abomination. It doesn't fit at all.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Ah okay. I quite liked Man Of Steel actually, so it's 1 out of 1 in my book so far.

As for Suicide Squad I've got hopes for it, seeing as David Ayer is a great writer/director, and the cast on the whole is pretty good. This one image isn't a make or break for me, seeing as Quicksilver in DOFP looked terrible in promotional stills and he turned out great.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
If superman was anything to go by it will be pure shite, as for the picture i hate the teeth it looks chavy.
Not sure why Man Of Steel would be anything to go by, seeing as it's a different writer, director, and cast.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
He's easy to dislike and dismiss but he's a quality actor. A bit like Brad Pitt back in the day, people were quick to write him off as a pretty boy but if you actually looked at his acting performances they were always top drawer.

Agree with OP though, that forehead tattoo is an abomination. It doesn't fit at all.
It's the music.

He's a terrific actor and he comes across very well in real life too. But 30 Seconds to Mars are all kinds of awful and he's mostly responsible.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
It's the music.

He's a terrific actor and he comes across very well in real life too. But 30 Seconds to Mars are all kinds of awful and he's mostly responsible.
Yeah. He's too talented an actor to waste so much time in an average band.

Sweet Square

Not a fan of the super hero movie stuff(The Dark Knight is the only one I watched again) but this one does at least seem interesting.

Looks a lot better with the tats removed

Still it will make a ton of money at the box office regard of how good will/won't be.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Not a fan of the super hero movie stuff(The Dark Knight is the only one I watched again) but this one does at least seem interesting.

Still it will make a ton of money at the box office regard of how good will/won't be.
That's frightning :lol:

I'm not a big fan of many super hero films. I think too much focus on effects and cheesy American humour lightning the mood. The characters are never nearly complex enough either which is where they all fail big style. They make gestures towards building characters but it's always forced and doesn't feel right, I think they're too scared of boring the audience.

The only 3 superhero films I have enjoyed are the first two of the Dark Knight trilogy and The Watchmen which I thought was fantastic.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I actually don't mind the tattoos, and I think in the comics there is precedent for that, but the forehead tattoo is something a 16 year old emo girl would get because she feels misunderstood by society and is rebelling against her parents.

PvsNP

I hope they don't go with that forehead tattoo in the end. Terrible decision.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Leto will be good to be fair...He has a massive standard to live up to. Nicholson and Ledger were incredible.

As for the film, it's going to be shite! Why are Will Smith and Margot Robbie even near this is beyond me.

Even the most hardcore Batman fan doesn't give a shit about Deadshot

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Not sure why Man Of Steel would be anything to go by, seeing as it's a different writer, director, and cast.
Its set the tone for the franchise, that's if DC are going to follow the same path that the MCU has done in keeping a similar tone in every film and seeing as the DC universe is a shared universe as well, its going to have to have a similar tone for it all to tie, then again you never know.

Sweet Square

That's frightning :lol:

I'm not a big fan of many super hero films. I think too much focus on effects and cheesy American humour lightning the mood. The characters are never nearly complex enough either which is where they all fail big style. They make gestures towards building characters but it's always forced and doesn't feel right, I think they're too scared of boring the audience.

The only 3 superhero films I have enjoyed are the first two of the Dark Knight trilogy and The Watchmen which I thought was fantastic.
Agree.

Their very good at doing big broad brush strokes of ideas(Good vs Evil,Outsiders,Hero vs Anti Hero)but anything subtle they seem to completely fall on their arse. And I think the problem comes from them being completely unbelievable from the start, give Batman anything other than the broad brush stoke of being a damage human being and the audience will naturally start to question the whole concept of a man who dresses up as a giant latex bat to fight crime.

Then there's the pressure of having to appeal to everyone in the audience(Which includes a massive range of people from comic book nerds to grandparents) which most of the time you'll end up something that's not crap but hardly the Godfather either.

I'm going to give Watchmen(Ahhh look at his small blue willy) another watch over the weekend. Mainly because people in the Movie Thread told me too.

Last edited:

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Its set the tone for the franchise, that's if DC are going to follow the same path that the MCU has done in keeping a similar tone in every film and seeing as the DC universe is a shared universe as well, its going to have to have a similar tone for it all to tie, then again you never know.
Tone doesn't equal quality. If you say that the MCU films are all of similar tone, you can still say that Iron Man was great and The Incredible Hulk was shit. And it would make no sense to say Age Of Ultron would probably be boring because Thor 2 was. Besides, even in using the MCU as a template, there is still variation within the universe: for example Guardians Of The Galaxy is much lighter and brighter than Winter Soldier.

Sweet Square

I actually don't mind the tattoos, and I think in the comics there is precedent for that, but the forehead tattoo is something a 16 year old emo girl would get because she feels misunderstood by society and is rebelling against her parents.
Yeah I don't really mind the tats to be honest(It's at least different) apart from the one you mentioned. And it was always going to be hard to do anything original since we've had the two extremes of the Joker before(Jake Nicholson's being the more comical funny Joker and Heath Ledger being the more psychopathic). Still in the end if Jared Leto performance is great then everything else will be forgotten.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Leto will be good to be fair...He has a massive standard to live up to. Nicholson and Ledger were incredible.

As for the film, it's going to be shite! Why are Will Smith and Margot Robbie even near this is beyond me.

Even the most hardcore Batman fan doesn't give a shit about Deadshot
Will Smith is a good actor, and I don't know enough about Margot Robbie to say either way. And sure most people don't give a shit about Deadshot, but he isn't the pitch to get the audience in. The Suicide Squad as a concept is the pitch (and Leto as Joker), not one guy in said squad.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Will Smith is a good actor, and I don't know enough about Margot Robbie to say either way. And sure most people don't give a shit about Deadshot, but he isn't the pitch to get the audience in. The Suicide Squad as a concept is the pitch (and Leto as Joker), not one guy in said squad.
I agree, Will Smith is a very good actor but, as a hardcore Batman fan, I could care less about Deadshot or any of the other characters in the Batman universe, that are in this film.

Would much rather a film about The Joker and Harley Quinn and how he came to fruition. The Suicide Squad is just a DC rival for The Avengers....Which is another film I don't give a shit about....Purely because my last GF went to the cinema to see the last one and we had to bring her son.....52 euro that day cost me!.....Little cnut!!

Donaldo

Caf Vigilante
Supports
Arsenal
I agree, Will Smith is a very good actor but, as a hardcore Batman fan, I could care less about Deadshot or any of the other characters in the Batman universe, that are in this film.

Would much rather a film about The Joker and Harley Quinn and how he came to fruition. The Suicide Squad is just a DC rival for The Avengers....Which is another film I don't give a shit about....Purely because my last GF went to the cinema to see the last one and we had to bring her son.....52 euro that day cost me!.....Little cnut!!
Err no, that would be the Justice League.

Jai Courtney is in this. I've decided it's absolutely shit.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
Is Robbie playing Harleyquinn?
Yep.

Jai Courtney is in this. I've decided it's absolutely shit.
He was Bruce Willis' son in the most recent Die Hard wasn't he? He was terrible in that, which was a terrible movie, but I'm hoping he's not given enough of an opportunity to ruin this one lol

Castia

Wow I have to be honest that looks terrible. Leto is a good actor though, maybe it will come together on screen.

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
Thought this thread was going to be about a life of Brian spin off :(

LS17

He looks like the guy from The Prodigy. The guy seems like a very good actor though, fantastic in Dallas Buyers Club.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
My mother won't be pleased, she hates tattoos.

Though I don't think she's been to the cinema in about 7 years and couldn't possibly care, sooo...

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
Looks like Marilyn Manson. What a load of shite.
Honestly I'd say it's actually a pretty good representation of the SS's Joker. Except for the damaged tattoo- it doesn't fit with the character.

Sylar

He will be more than fine as joker. Im still not sure why DC are separating their TV universe and Movie universe especially when most of it will be the same time.
Eg the Flash series is a lot of fun, then they will have a Flash movie which will no doubt bring comparisons for most fans.

The Suicide Squad in the Arrow show were lots of fun. Hope this is the same.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
He will be more than fine as joker. Im still not sure why DC are separating their TV universe and Movie universe especially when most of it will be the same time.
Eg the Flash series is a lot of fun, then they will have a Flash movie which will no doubt bring comparisons for most fans.

The Suicide Squad in the Arrow show were lots of fun. Hope this is the same.
Isn't Deadshot dead in the TV universe?