Sum up the season

IncyWincySpider

It was an encouraging season. I hope we have some good transfers over summer and next season concentrate on the league and CL, letting squad and youth players worry about the domestic cups.

We really need to go a full season without any of the humiliating scorelines too.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
5/10 season. We invested heavily but other than Casemiro none of the signings worked. Manager has been good but expected more from him tactically esp plan B when A didn't work and motivating players is concerned. Players bottled almost all the high stakes games, Sevilla, Arsenal, Newcastle, Fa Cup final. The fact that we gave up easy points to so many teams sums it up.
So Martinez hasn't worked? Or you simply forgot we signed him?
All high stakes games were lost or some of them? Did you forget about Liverpool, Arsenal, City, Chelsea at home in the PL, Barcelona in the EL or Newcastle in the Carabao Final?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
We've done well. After those first 2 games our season could have quickly unravelled and ended up looking like any of Chelsea, Spurs or Liverpools. To turn that around and get us back on track is a decent achievement.

Now we have to build on it though, and that's where the worry comes in. Sale still not being sorted, makes you wonder about where the money is going to come from for the obvious reinforcements we need. When City are bringing on Foden and leaving Alvarez and Mahrez on the bench, whilst we turn to McTominay and Weghorst whilst needing a goal then the issues become obvious.

If we have a good window I see no reason we can't get closer to 85 points next season and see where that takes us.

BootsyCollins

Isolated i dont think we should be happy with a third place far from challeging for the title and a league cup.

If you put it in contex of the last ten years its more than decent, and give me hope for the future.

The season it itself : 6/10
The season as the first of new era : 8/10

buchansleftleg

I'm delighted and amazed at the progress made this season. I was worried it would be absolute carnage this season, and we saw brief moments of that in the heavy defeats.

However EtH has done wonders with team morale, when I expected it to descend into rancour and tribalism. Even those who have been marginalised have mostly had the good sense to shut up, with one notable exception of the Madeiran Mouthpiece and that was dealt with properly.

It's a sign of progress that, had he been backed with a proper striker in January we could have actually challenged for the title. I don't think we would have won, but we could have sustained a challenge for longer than we did.

Give him the tools and he will win big!

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
1. Clear progress since Ole-Rangnick.
2. Ronaldo out (but WW in, though).
3. OT fortress again.
4. A trophy.
5. Champions League next season.

Could do better but not bad I’d say. Not bad at all.

dove

7/10. We achieved what before the start of the season most of us considered would be a good first season for ETH (TOP 4 + a trophy). I don't think we can expect much more really with a team desperately lacking goals, some of the players like Weghorst who started like 20 times for us this season wouldn't make it as a ballboy in that City team. Our home form is great, finally OT can become a fortress again. Away form is a crap though and the biggest worry is not the lost points itself maybe but is that we collapsed quite a few times where we literally gave up playing (City, Liverpool, Brentford, Sevilla), this cannot happen. Overall it's a decent season.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
The manner in which we lost the FA Cup (soft goals) has put a dent in an otherwise decent season.

Hammondo

Considering our competition we have done 6/10 or maybe 5/10. We did what would be basically expected aside from the league cup.

Top 4 with little competition, knocked out of Europa League wasn't good, league cup win is a bonus.

cheekybackheel

I think it's very easy to compare the season to what other clubs have done, but in reality we need to compare it to where we were the season before under Ole and when you do that, we've had a cracking season.

ETH has done a great job given what he had to work with. Let's not forget, he's still got most of the dross that was left for him by previous managers and the fact he's managed them and brought a few of his own in to achieve what we did has been very good.

If you had said to me at the start of the season we would finish 3rd, win the Carabao Cup, be in the FA Cup final and beat City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal at home, I'd have bitten your hand off. He's also improved players like Rashford, Lindeloff and AWB.

For the first time in 10 years I finally feel we have a manager, that given the support in the transfer windows, can take the fight to Guardiola and compete.

There's stuff to iron out of course, get rid of more deadwood, improve our away performances etc but overall I feel we're finally coming back.

The biggest thing is that Old Trafford feels like a fortress again, whereas for so long it didn't.

YikesSchmeics

Lots of progress. Lots to do.

The important thing to remember is the absolute state of the club this time last year. Absolutely on its knees. I didn't see us getting top 4 or anywhere near a trophy at that stage. I thought ETH would be doing well to keep us at 6th. Obviously other teams like Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs dropping off has helped here, but we are miles ahead of where I thought we would be and we are on the upward trajectory. Very important summer ahead.

AFC NimbleThumb

Feels like we left some things on the table this season. If anything it has highlighted how much work there is to be done.

I repeat, we are not some 30 goal striker away.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Ten hag is a very versatile manager but can be too versatile for some of his players goods.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
Overall it’s a good season whatever way you look at it. We shifted out the rot within the club and hopefully the rest follow in the summer (Glazer). We won a trophy, finished 3rd, competed with City in the FA Cup final, restricting their chances on our goal.
After least season of misery and being nowhere it’s a breath of fresh air this term. Our home form has been fantastic, starting to make it a fortress again. Few good upgrades in the summer and we can push on for more next year.

fezzerUTD

Bang average for a club our size. Many improvements needed. 2/3 of the squad still needs replacing. New owners to come. We’re miles off being a solid outfit yet.

Paul778

For god sake people, some context please...
  • This was ETH first season and he inherited a nightmare dressing room
  • We went into the season with Ronaldo stinking up the place and hoping that would resolve itself. He had to deal with 2-3 months of constant media pressure generated from CR
  • We were in the process of a sale so no funds in January even though CR had gone and Martial was crocked.
  • With a paper thin squad we've played more games than any other team in europe
Yes we still need 5 better starters and still need to ship out probably 8-9 time wasters. That's been true for the last 12-15 years.

I'd loved to have won yesterday but if we had it would have been a smash and grab raid, with only Garnacho providing any threat whatsoever.

That said, we're in a much better place than last season, and ETH himself has stated that prospective players have seen the progress and we will have more realistic options this season to improve.

Given the above i think he's done as much as he can in a transitional first year. I would give him an 8. People saying it's a 6 and we achieved the bare minimum of whats expected - lolz. So a 10/10 would be winning the EPL, CL and all the cups in the first season?

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Good season, If you asked me in August last year, would you take top 4, a cup, a runners up in another cup and decent europa league run, then yeah I would take that.

ETH has clearly improved some players at the club e.g. Shaw, Lindelof, Rashford. Navigated the Ronaldo situation diligently. In terms of the football, we have seen glimpses of EtH stamping his identity on the team but I think there is still work to be done to get the team to play consistently. Id like us to be more dominant on the road as that will really move us on to the next level.

Happy with a cup win, a final, and a third place. Somewhat fun European adventure but bit if of a letdown getting knocked out by Sevilla.

Dumb losses in the league and only two somewhat consistent attacking players in Rashford and Bruno. We need to score more goals and have more fun going forward.

I'd say a 6,5 - 7 / 10 season.
There's a foundation to build on. Eriksen needs replacing in the XI. Case and Varane ain't getting younger. I don't think they'll have the legs for a full season next season - much like Eriksen didn't have this season.
Came very clear in the later parts of the season that we need a stronger goalkeeper and we absolutely need a striker to string together our forwards.

Lindelöf and Wan-Bissaka came good for us, and Fred showed glimpses.

I trust in ten Hag. Give him a good summer window please.

Neil_Buchanan

Cock'd
I thought it was excellent and genuinely don’t get how you can ask for any better when you consider all the factors. We were truly terrible last season, every single one of them, I had no love for any of our players and would have been glad to see the back of pretty much all of them. Yet he has managed to make even some of our worst players from last season perform better than we’ve ever seen them play. Where on earth did AWBs performances come from? When have we ever seen Rashford so consistent? All this with a limited time on the training ground due to a mad fixture schedule.

The general consensus 12 months ago (after us losing 8 games in a row) was that as long as ETH gets these guys playing better and looking like a team then that will be enough, the phrases ‘we shouldn’t judge his first season’ and ‘he needs time’ we’re used frequently by every level headed united fan.

This narrative of top four and a trophy being a successful season wasn’t being used in the early parts of ETH arrival because back then it was an unrealistic expectation of a new manager taking over that squad after the season from hell. When you throw in all the extra crap we’ve had to deal with this season like Ronaldo, Greenwood, World Cup break, potential club sale limiting our winter budget then consider the fixture schedule because of crazy cup runs and Thursday night fixtures I genuinely don’t understand how you could ask for more, that you could be disappointed? fecking b+? Do you not understand context or are you that spoilt by winning previously that you can’t enjoy a season unless we dominate?

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
8/10

Ten Hag done a great job in difficult circumstances (last minute transfer arrivals, Ronaldo strop etc) - way ahead of where I expected be after 1 season under a new manager

Barthez

Progress has been made. Unfortunately any real progress now requires the club under new ownership

Josh 76

Would have give an 8 out of 10. But that mauling at Anfield has took the gloss off the season. So 7 out of 10.

Crimson King

For god sake people, some context please...
  • This was ETH first season and he inherited a nightmare dressing room
  • We went into the season with Ronaldo stinking up the place and hoping that would resolve itself. He had to deal with 2-3 months of constant media pressure generated from CR
  • We were in the process of a sale so no funds in January even though CR had gone and Martial was crocked.
  • With a paper thin squad we've played more games than any other team in europe
Yes we still need 5 better starters and still need to ship out probably 8-9 time wasters. That's been true for the last 12-15 years.

I'd loved to have won yesterday but if we had it would have been a smash and grab raid, with only Garnacho providing any threat whatsoever.

That said, we're in a much better place than last season, and ETH himself has stated that prospective players have seen the progress and we will have more realistic options this season to improve.

Given the above i think he's done as much as he can in a transitional first year. I would give him an 8. People saying it's a 6 and we achieved the bare minimum of whats expected - lolz. So a 10/10 would be winning the EPL, CL and all the cups in the first season?
You're wasting your time mate, there's some very entitled numpties on the forum these days. It's been a long, long time since top 4 and a trophy is the 'bare minimum' to expect. I find it incredulous how people's expectations haven't changed given the absolute shit show that has unfolded since SAF retired.

At the end of last season I felt almost done with football, everything about the club felt so rotten. It was all just scandals and disappointment. Then the way this season started, it really felt like more of the same, especially after that Ronaldo interview with Piers Morgan.

EtH somehow managed to turn it around, and at moments this season we looked a genuinely good team again. At other moments we were limping along, grinding out results, but I think that just highlights how good a manager he is, and also how much work the squad still needs.

He managed to extract a lot from these players, the problem is that doesn't really amount to much with some of them.

Real_Knut

I'm giving it a 6 out of 10 but I understand people giving it higher very well. Given what we could expect after last season, it's been great. One thing is where Ole left the team but Rangnick finished last season with 12 points in 12 games (if I remember it correctly). We looked absolutely shattered mentally. This season started in much the same fashion with those two first games. I think ETH didn't quite understand where the squad spirit was at: rock bottom. After that, we have lifted the performances to where we are still not very good away from home, are prone to collapsing but are also really good at home. It seems to me, belief has returned to the squad but there is still work to be done.

I am very happy with this season (and I would give ETH a very good grade, probably an 8 out of 10 or something like that). There is cause for optimism about next season, even if we do not spend a fortune on new players IMO.

Alex B

After a night of reflection I'm delighted with the season. First trophy in some time, Ronaldo gone, Maguire dropped, enhanced performance from some who seemed to be done here (Fred, Lindelof, AWB, Rashford) and all new signings adding something we had lacked. Above all I've enjoyed watching the team again, some serious disappointments along the way but I feel next season with a couple of signings will be like 2006 again, a team on the cusp of success.

Castia

We’ve had a good year. If you told me at the start I’d the season we’d get 3rd and a trophy I’d have taken it.

It’s a real sickener though seeing City potentially pick up the treble. My summer is fecking ruined

davidmichael

It’s hard to explain but the fact we’ve won a trophy, got third in the league so back in the CL, made the FA Cup final, beat Barca and should have won both legs, broke our Spanish club hoodoo, beat City, beat Liverpool, beat Arsenal and I'm still disappointed overall shows we’ve made massive progress this season under ETH as in previous seasons this would be considered success.

Skills

Snitch
Good result in the end, but not a particularly enjoyable or memorable journey getting there.

B+.

Best season since Ferguson left. Won a cup, runner up in another to the Harlem Globetrotters, came 3rd in the league, cleared out some deadwood and improved most of the squad. We finally have a feeling that the club has a man in charge who can take us forward.

Negatives - Weghorst and the striker conundrum, some odd subs here and there, rolled over far too easily in some games.

Scriblerus

Progress. We have a team that can play winning and entertaining football (on a good day) and no longer possess a midfield that so porous that it looks like conceding every time an opponent runs at us. The main shortcomings are identified (distribution from the back, quality striker, depth on the bench) and there is some promise in the youth ) of course most don't make it but Garnacho and Amad look strong possibilities and few others have a chance). Ten Haag needs to be supported in clearing a few old faces and signing the right replacements (but anyone expecting us to swap out half the team this summer is in cloud cuckoo land).

King7Eric

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
It's been a good season. ETH has clearly made us defensively solid though we still struggle to completely dominate games, but I accept that we need the proper personnel for that, which we didn't have.

As I've said multiple times here, the next season will really be the one on which we should judge ETH. We have been in this position before, under LVG, Jose and Ole where the first season was encouraging and it felt we were a few good players from really challenging but then it all went up in flames.

Hopefully ETH can buck the trend.

Salford_Red83

5/10 season. We invested heavily but other than Casemiro none of the signings worked. Manager has been good but expected more from him tactically esp plan B when A didn't work and motivating players is concerned. Players bottled almost all the high stakes games, Sevilla, Arsenal, Newcastle, Fa Cup final. The fact that we gave up easy points to so many teams sums it up.
I'm sorry, what?

Martinez didn't work out? Malacia wasn't an able deputy? Eriksen wasn't a game changer for us? Sabitzer didn't come in a do a decent job?

The jury is still out on Antony but he is certainly heading in the right direction.

Methinks you're a bit like ETH himself, and blinded by Weghorst.

buckooo1978

7/10

Last season was horrendous and ETH took over an out of form, underperforming squad with issues all over...

We had a so/so transfer market, leaving transfers for Casemiro and Antony far too late....

He's had to deal with the Ronaldo issue until January and managed it very well, weathering a media storm.

We reinstilled some joy in our football and a winning mentality again. We played really well a number of times, notably at home and away vrs Barca, home to City and Liverpool etc....

ETH has had to battle injury obstacles to key players and a transfer kitty that only afforded Weghorst. He's managed players who were previously undroppable out of the side and you can see a clear direction.

Our performance levels dipped from about February and yet we still picked up results.

Huge progress all things considered and a few sales would help in gutting elements of the squad.

There's huge potential for next season and with the right ownership and backing its exciting to see what he can do with this team

Andersons Dietician

Going in to the season my only requirement was make top 4 and show signs of improvement. We did both of those and picked up a trophy. So honestly I think it’s been a good season for us considering where we were at.

There is still a long way to go and hopefully next season we can continue to improve and get closer to where we need to be to properly challenge for titles.

cyberman

It’s the timing of Ten Hag coming that has warped views. We were never challenging for the title this year but we were never going to be as bad as last year as well. So Ten Hag comfortably reaches his target, exceeds them even but it hasn’t got the hype behind it because you could see how we could go up a level but we just didn’t have the tools to do it.

RomfordRed75

A cup, 3rd in the league and another final all with a small squad, injuries to key players at key moments of the season and without a striker pretty much all season. I'd say its been a pretty good season all in all and exceeded expectations and for the first time in years we can go into a new season with real optimism (IF we get the right players in!). B+ for me.