Summer 2019 Midfield Rebuild

Discussion in 'Transfer Forum' started by bosnian_red, May 11, 2019.

1. May 12, 2019

Tony Banta Full Member

I think the attack is our weakest area and key this summer, we simply need more goals. A RB DM RW and versatile forward for me.

I guess it all depends on who leaves, who stays, what formation OGS wants to play and the style of play he’ll try to implement.
  2. May 12, 2019

steakpie New Member

I think we'll end up with the following options:
    Rice
    Fred
    McTominay
    Lingard
    New AM

Would like to Lingard sold and go for Tielemans but doubt we will sell Lingard, and he has looked ok there for England.
  3. May 12, 2019

Andersons Dietician Full Member

Supports:
    Supports good football
    Hope Pogba stays but if he was to leave it would open up a lot of options.

Neves
    Eriksen. Aouar

Ndombele Saul
    Havertz

Neves
    Dacoure. Pogba
    Havertz
    There are so many things you could do or combinations to be made.
  4. May 12, 2019

Godfather Full Member

I'd rather have our attack rebuilt to be honest.
  5. May 12, 2019

Rozay Master of Hindsight

‘Back up for Pogba’ is a great status to sell to a young midfielder. He’ll play what, 3 games?
  6. May 12, 2019

RedRonaldo Full Member

Rabiot to replace Herrera (Herrea is gone for free, and Rabiot is free and available, why not)
    Rice to replace Matic (Matic is losing his legs, better just sell him. Rice is young and is tough nut, we need that)
    Tonali to replace Pogba (prefer PogSTAY, but rumours he wants out in summer. Tonali is very young and looks like new Pirlo to me, why not)
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
  7. May 12, 2019

Invictus Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018 Staff

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    If Pogba ends up leaving, I like the idea of double-dipping for Havertz and Brandt from Leverkusen using the proceeds from the Frenchman's transfer. Both of them are versatile, dynamic, modern midfielders and would give Solskjær the freedom to mix things up. e.g. you could play them as 10/8 hybrids in a 4-3-3 high-press scheme vs. smaller teams where you expect to dominate the proceedings, as wide attacking midfielders in a 4-2-2-2 (similar to how they frequently operate under Bosz), in a diamond, or rest one and play the other as 10 in a 4-2-3-1 — the possibilities would be endless.

The Bundesliga isn't quite as strong as it used to be, but a total of 28 goals and 18 assists in all competitions by the couple of them is still rather impressive — and they're both quite young to boot. Havertz is the bigger talent and probably as talented as Pogba, though a bit unrealistic and will be very expensive (if Völler decides to sell that is), and Brandt would be good value for money, even if he ends up being a glorified squad player at the elite level (has a reported exit clause of €25 million, which is peanuts in the current mercato). Considering Leverkusen have acquired Kerem Demirbay from Hoffenheim, they could be persuaded to sell the duo for a suitable fee...

With Herrera out of the equation and Matić being in a downward spiral, we would ideally sign three (two of an offensive nature to improve our creativity from midfield and one of a defensive variety to steady the ship, like Aránguiz for Leverkusen) — but if we use a slow-and-steady method to rebuilding, I wouldn't mind just the aforementioned duo as summer additions — leaving box-to-box and defensive midfielder as priority signings for 2020 (unless Fred/McTominay/Garner cement a Starting XI spot).
  8. May 12, 2019

Smores Full Member

With Pogba likely to leave it is depressing that we're left with Matic, Fred, Periera, McTominay. Not one midfielder you'd be confident in as a regular starter.
  9. May 12, 2019

We must sign a defensive midfielder first and foremost I think. Matic is done and McTominay is neither a defensive midfielder not good enough to be a regular. Fred has shown glimpses, but not sure he’s a DM either.

Rice is a must for me. Most obvious deal we can make this summer.
  10. May 12, 2019

Red00012 Full Member

Matic has played whenever he’s been fit. He’s never been dropped he’s just been injured for a few games.
  11. May 12, 2019

Invictus Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018 Staff

Supports:
    Piracy on the High Seas
    Oh, don't disagree with your opinion, mate — in fact I've also advocated for defensive midfield signings over the last couple of seasons (mostly the likes of Rodri, Barella, Ndombele in holding or box-to-box capacities) — but if Pogba leaves (really hope he doesn't because he's by far the biggest difference maker we have from midfield positions), we would have veeery little creativity left in the center of the park to support an offense that is not particularly accomplished at creating goals for itself, and as such, productive offensive midfielders would become the biggest priorities, IMO. A defensive midfielder on top of that would be brilliant obviously, but if we're restrained in the market, I'd rather sign the offensive midfielders as soon as possible and make necessary defensive fortifications in subsequent windows — than the other way around. Pogba's status is central to the whole argument, really, if he stays and commits to the club, the midfield rebuilding picture would be much simpler and I'd have a #6 and a #8 atop my list.
  12. May 12, 2019

Agree here. We must keep Pogba, but if he were to leave, ensuring sufficient creativity from midfield is key.
  13. May 12, 2019

JJ12 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

I'd like Rice, Maddison and Bruno

No way we sign 3 though.
  14. May 12, 2019

Tony Banta Full Member

But at present Pogba hasn’t left, the options aren’t that depressing, I dread to think what you think about our defence and attackers. And if Pogba were to leave then I’m sure we’d add a quality replacement.

I’d be happy for McTominay to be a regular starter for now. He’s the only one in recent months to stand up and show his worth, stated to add goals as well. He may only become a squad player in the future but a complete midfield rebuild isn’t going to happen in one summer window.
  15. May 12, 2019

BulgarianDevil91 New Member

I might have missed someone already mentioning him, but don't you think Napoli's Allan would be a good shout for the CDM role?
  16. May 12, 2019

Richjc New Member

I think some of you might get a surprise re Pogba leaving. It looks very unlikely that Real have the money for him and all of the press from the Spanish end suggests that whilst Zidane wants him Real aren’t keen at all given the costs. Their finances are a mess and they want Hazard, a CF, full back and a midfielder and they’ve already spent €50m on Militao.
  17. May 12, 2019

Richjc New Member

Re Rabiot, people think this squad has a bad attitude but want a player that’s got a very dubious recent record in that regard. See also Icardi.
  18. May 12, 2019

Jim Beam The Joker

Rodri - Barella - Pogba would be wishlist for the next season.

Rodri has €70m release clause from what I've seen, but apparently already been targetted by City as Fernandinho replacement. Still, we should give it a try. Barella shouldn't be so expensive either, so you could look at 100 - 110 million pounds rebuild in which you would get 2 potentially brilliant midfielders for years to come.

Either way, leaving Pogba for another year is a must. Then, if he still wants to leave, use his funds and solve that position. No way we should sell him this summer.
  19. May 12, 2019

BAMSOLA Has issues!

Supports:
    A Crack Habit.
    I'd stick Sander Berge in there as a good solid purchase, also Harvertz for me can and will end up at ACM and should just be signed whether we needed him or not (thankfully we do but he's that good a prospect that you just sign him and figure out the rest later). Also wouldn't be a bad idea to get Aranguiz in as one experience based signed as his all-round game is very good.
  20. May 12, 2019

In Rainbows Full Member

Integrate Gomes and Garner.

Buy Ndidi

We would still need that key player who can run a match through their passing. I would love if Gomes is developed for that role, but I'm unsure if Ole sees him for that role like Butt does.
  21. May 12, 2019

OleGunnar20 Full Member

Out: Herrera, Matic, Pereira.
    In: Fernandes, Ndidi.
    Promoted: Garner, Gomes (As and when needed).

I'd have the following as the initial first-choice setup:

Pogba - Fernandes
    Ndidi

Lots of work-rate between Ndidi and Fernandes. Ndidi has impressed me hugely with his Kante-esque ability to disrupt the midfield, while being decent enough on the ball to contribute.

Fernandes (from the little I've seen and read) seems like a hard-working yet offensively minded midfielder, perfectly compliments the need to have somebody creating other than Pogba while sticking with Ole's hard running high press system. I think we'd see Pogba thrive in the above setup.

Second string would be something along the lines of:

McTom - Fred
    Garner

With Gomes coming in as and when needed. Lacking in creativity there, but I hope a functioning front three would negate the reliance on this ala Klopps Liverpool.

If Pogba was to leave I'd be looking to Zaniolo / Barella to come in, with Fernandes possibly moving to the main creator role if necessary.

Not ideal to have to rebuild this along with all of our other worries at the moment, however I'd say we're blessed with a wide selection of available, talented young midfielders to choose from (many of which from smaller clubs).

You could easily argue for the inclusion of players such as Rice, Pellegrini, Tonali, Brandt etc, there's no excuse in us not piecing together a good roster here if we truly want to spend this summer.
  22. May 12, 2019

Minimalist New Member

Something obviously to be concerned about when McTominay is the probably the only midfielder you can rely on to be consistent with his performances.

So many have question marks on them:
    Pogba - does he want to stay? Should we just cash in? Other than that, one of the only guaranteed starters.
    Matic - probably a back-up/squad player going into next season.
    Andreas - should probably be sold.
    Fred - only his first season so will probably get one more but massive question marks over him and unlikely to be a guaranteed starter.

So basically at present we have McTominay and potentially Pogba you could trust to do the job. Pretty worrying stuff and again, points at the lack of planning (and judgement) in the recruitment of players.

I think Ndidi, Doucoure, Rice and Neves would be realistic targets for the summer.
  23. May 12, 2019

Dante Bang Average but can post Blindfolded for 15 secs

Sell Pogba for £150m. Buy Bruno for £60m, Tielemans for £40m, Rice for £50m. A superior midfield unit for no extra cost.

Then spend our actual budget on AWB, Sancho and maybe a CB.
  24. May 12, 2019

dove Full Member

Hopefully sell Pogba and sign 3 players who want to be here. Perreira should go as well, not impressed at all by him.
  25. May 12, 2019

Organic Potatoes Full Member

Supports:
    Colorado Rapids
    I'm not sure I've really seen any of them play, but Rodri is my dream singing aside from Sancho or Felix.
  26. May 12, 2019

reddevilz007 Full Member

Sell Pogba and Pereira for 160 and get Rice for 50m, Bruno 60m and Van de Beek 50m.
    Last edited: May 12, 2019
  27. May 12, 2019

DutchSerb New Member

Would love to see Saul or Rabiot but sadly I don't think either would want to come right now. I feel like SAS is a huge gamble for the money they want but would love to see him come over.
  28. May 12, 2019

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

Might be misreading this but do you think we can get 50m for Pereira???
  29. May 12, 2019

reddevilz007 Full Member

Yes you are

The price quoted for Pogba is a lot, close to 150. Pereira for around 10
  30. May 12, 2019

bosnian_red Worst scout to ever exist

What's the "get 50m" part?
  31. May 12, 2019

DutchSerb New Member

I think he meant Rice for 50
  32. May 12, 2019

reddevilz007 Full Member

Yea, i deleted the Rice part when editing, i guess
  33. May 12, 2019

golden_blunder Site admin. Manchester United fan Staff

I actually said this to my brother earlier about the midfield I mean. However out of the box suggestions I’d consider too are Gundogan and Dacoure
  34. May 12, 2019

Walrus Oppressed White Male

Any combination of Tielemans, Rice, Andre Gomes and Neves would do me just fine.
  35. May 12, 2019

yamo123x Full Member

Mctominay love on here is remarkable. He is nowhere near a starter in a club like this playing at its best....he tries hard thats it..if people have him in their starting midfield 3 next season then these same people are accepting mediocrity.

We need a dominant midfield who can keep ball, be aggressive and quick and link with forward players.
  36. May 12, 2019

Moriarty Full Member

Supports:
    A wife and a cat.
    We're going to be competing for some of these names with teams playing CL football. Recent events at United won't have gone unnoticed and I suspect we might have problems getting top players in, huge wages notwithstanding.
  37. May 12, 2019

L1nk Full Member

Nicolo Barella
    Adrien Rabiot
    Youri Tielemans
    Ruben Neves
    Tanguy Ndombele

Pick any 3. Herrera has gone, Pereira not up to required standard, McTominay I would say shouldn't be a starter, Matic just isn't good and so on
  38. May 13, 2019

redsunited Full Member

imo, Injury to Herrera and decline of Matic was the reason for the slump in the last 2 months.

Our central midfield 3 is the key to our success next season. Losing Herrera, Fellaini and decline of Matic means, we need 2 starting XI players for the position.

Pogba - New CM
    New DM

If Fred/McTominay/Matic start more than 10 premier league games each next season, we will most likely finish outside top4.
  39. May 13, 2019

NoPace Full Member

If Pogba goes I think we need 2 CMs minimum, so my guess is one for big money like N'dombele or Bruno and then someone in their mid 20s or even a bit younger who's played well lately in a good league but for a non-cl side and can be bought for reasonable fee like Joan Jordan or Praet or Eggestein or Sanson or Grillitsch or even Grealish. Haven't seen Savanier at Nimes but that kind of thing, basically someone the club trust to play minutes without being shite or costing a ton.

Basically I'll guess our CMs will be:

Expensive #8 or 10
    Fred
    Cheaper #8 or 10
    Mctominay
    Matic

and we'll sign a RW or a false 9 and play a lot of 3 in the midfield from those above 5 and we'll all be screaming for another midfielder or a #10 by January as one of Fred or the big signing play well, another midfielder looks okay and the rest not so much.
    Last edited: May 13, 2019
  40. May 13, 2019

ATXRedDevil Full Member

Give me Tonali and Havertz, please.