Summer 2019 Midfield Rebuild

Mainoldo

Tielemans- Neves - Pogba

If he leaves

Fernandes - Rice - Rabiot

Random but both have the right balance to me.

Infestissumam

if Pogba goes, might as well go ballistic and buy three.

Rice or Ndidi
Tielemans or Neves
Bruno

looks balanced to me and has upside.

johanovic

Rice or Ndidi
Ndombele and Rabiot(just too good to pass on a free)
Fernandes or Eriksen
McTominay,Garner and Gomes as squad players.

We need at least 4 midfielders as I assume Pogba is leaving.

croadyman

Rice would be my number one choice for DM and not because I think he's more talented than any of the others mentioned but because he's one of the most intelligent level headed 20 year olds I've seen. With his mindset he will only keep getting better and will be our captain within a couple of years.
I agree with people who say he may not be the best DM option, however he definitely strikes me as someone who is leadership material and could be a Utd captain of the future

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If Ole wants a hard working team and wants to set the tempo going forward then he needs to stay away from players like Ruben Neves who has found the step up to the PL difficult. He also isn't the most mobile player which would be quite detrimental in our current predicament especially without the ball.

Nico Barella and Declan Rice/Ndidi behind Pogba would be the way forward. We also have Garner who will hopefully give us a different dimension from deeper if and when required.

Tony Banta

Last Man Standing champion 2023/24
If Ole wants a hard working team and wants to set the tempo going forward then he needs to stay away from players like Ruben Neves who has found the step up to the PL difficult. He also isn't the most mobile player which would be quite detrimental in our current predicament especially without the ball.

Nico Barella and Declan Rice/Ndidi behind Pogba would be the way forward. We also have Garner who will hopefully give us a different dimension from deeper if and when required.
Agreed, RN hasn’t had the best of seasons understandably. He isn’t what we need right now and probably not in the future. I wouldn't be spending £60m or whatever Wolves would want for him.

I really like Ndidi, he’s only 22, would prefer him over Declan Rice, who may become a very good CB. Ndidi has impressive tackling and interception stats. I think there’s a place in the midfield for McTominay, at least for the forthcoming season if United only buy one midfielder and Pogba stays.

Kaglish10

Van de Beek - Tonali - Ceballos, 3-man midfield. All mobile, creative, defensively astute and gettable.

Eric's Seagull

Idrissa Gueye
Adrien Rabiot
Bruno Fernandes.

I would take Idrissa Gueye if he keep up his level for the next 3 years, if we can't get Gueye I would go for Ndidi. Seems like Pogba is going, so I would go all out for Bruno Fernandes to replace and I've been thinking for a while that Rabiot will end up coming. I think Tielemans be coming, think we should give Gomes some more game time especially if it's true that Barca and PSG are after him and then I would keep McTominay as squad option and promote Garner. Matic can go, not got the legs anymore.
Would really have liked to see Tanguy Ndombele here due to us not having Champions League football and the fact that he has 'supposedly' agreed terms with Liverpool, Tottenham and Juventus, also I have read fees quoted up to £86m which I don't think we would pay.

Eric's Seagull

What is the Caf’s obsession with not wanting experienced players?
Regarding a player like Gueye due to his age, I think some people might predict a Matic type scenario where we sign a player and his legs go and were stuck with a player who is not up to the quality he was anymore. I sincerely hope that if we sign him that he can keep up this level of performance for the next 3 years.

flappyjay

If we weren't in need of immediate midfield starters I would have liked Ole to get his country man Sander Berge. But Matic needs an immediate replacement not someone who might take a year or two to settle

Wallez

I don’t think we will see a midfield rebuild this summer unless Pogba is sold. McTominay should be given more consistent game time, and Angel Gomes must be involved in the senior squad next season if we want to keep him. Maybe bring in one man to replace Herrera, but we have bigger concerns at RB, CB and RW.

flappyjay

What is the Caf’s obsession with not wanting experienced players?
Of all the experience players we have signed the undeniable success is zlatan. All the other ones would cost us money to get rid off or would probably have to waive a transfer fee. Bastian, Matic and Sanchez.

Ekeke

Maddison, Ndidi and Dendoncker for me if Pogba leaves.

Ndidi and Dendoncker providing the steel and ball winning in midfield, finding Maddison who can create and support the attack while Dendoncker and Ndidi can both get forward and get a couple of goals over the season like Ander. We then have Fred and McTominay competing with them for places. This kind of midfield would help the defense be solid, which was our main concern this season, whilst also continuing to support the attack in Pogba's absence. No superstar wages and we'd have players settled in the premier league so hopefully even if they have an amazing time here they arent wanting to go to a big Spanish club in 2 seasons unless we pay them £300k a week.

beingshe7don

Maddison, Ndidi and Dendoncker for me if Pogba leaves.

Ndidi and Dendoncker providing the steel and ball winning in midfield, finding Maddison who can create and support the attack while Dendoncker and Ndidi can both get forward and get a couple of goals over the season like Ander. We then have Fred and McTominay competing with them for places. This kind of midfield would help the defense be solid, which was our main concern this season, whilst also continuing to support the attack in Pogba's absence. No superstar wages and we'd have players settled in the premier league so hopefully even if they have an amazing time here they arent wanting to go to a big Spanish club in 2 seasons unless we pay them £300k a week.
That midfield 3 looks very underwhelming to me and no chance we're gonna get Ndidi and Maddison from Leicester.

Ekeke

That midfield 3 looks very underwhelming to me and no chance we're gonna get Ndidi and Maddison from Leicester.
I think theres a chance, but it'll require plenty of money. Around £100 million or just above to get the both of them. Thats why Dendoncker is a bit of a cut price option to make the 3 work. A welfare Ander but with Ndidi's high activity compared to Matic it should work out the same.

Underwhelming? Yeah people complained about Liverpool's midfield. They're fine. We need function not fancy if we want to push up the table

flappyjay

I think theres a chance, but it'll require plenty of money. Around £100 million or just above to get the both of them. Thats why Dendoncker is a bit of a cut price option to make the 3 work. A welfare Ander but with Ndidi's high activity compared to Matic it should work out the same.

Underwhelming? Yeah people complained about Liverpool's midfield. They're fine. We need function not fancy if we want to push up the table
Hasn't our problem in the middle been that Pogba was the only one who had a decent passing range? Wouldn't this be similar to what we have had and been complaining about. A Maddison, Ndidi midfield with someone who can contribute both defensively and when we got the ball is what we should aim for.

Ekeke

Hasn't our problem in the middle been that Pogba was the only one who had a decent passing range? Wouldn't this be similar to what we have had and been complaining about. A Maddison, Ndidi midfield with someone who can contribute both defensively and when we got the ball is what we should aim for.
No.

Our problem this season is we've let in a huge amount of goals.

I do agree on the 2nd part though, they would need a player who can both help defensively and in attack and thats what someone like Dendonker, or Ander does. They win the ball and get forward to support attacks at times.

AJ10

Big difference being pools midfielders aren't used for creativity but rather they're there to press/win possession back and give it to their Front 3 or FB's. If they were used for creativity then they'd be fecked. Put those mid 3 in pep's team they'd be average at best as they'd be expected to do multiple jobs rather than just pressing.

Ekeke

Big difference being pools midfielders aren't used for creativity but rather they're there to press/win possession back and give it to their Front 3 or FB's. If they were used for creativity then they'd be fecked. Put those mid 3 in pep's team they'd be average at best as they'd be expected to do multiple jobs rather than just pressing.
Right, and ours are used to stabilize the defense. Thats why we've had Matic and Ander there with Pogba in a forward position.

Wjnaldum has done well going forward but obviously not to the level of City's players. Liverpool's midfield is one of the reasons they have a good defensive record, less to do for the backline

flappyjay

No.

Our problem this season is we've let in a huge amount of goals.

I do agree on the 2nd part though, they would need a player who can both help defensively and in attack and thats what someone like Dendonker, or Ander does. They win the ball and get forward to support attacks at times.
Passing ability plays a part too. Being able to keep the ball instead of hoofing it and conceding possession over and over again. Our defenders get called out for it but Ander is culpable whilst Matic would lose it trying to pass it. Also in games where Pogba is marked out of the game or is having a bad day our creativity suffers a lot, wouldn't you rather have another excellent/good creater in that situation?

Ekeke

Passing ability plays a part too. Being able to keep the ball instead of hoofing it and conceding possession over and over again. Our defenders get called out for it but Ander is culpable whilst Matic would lose it trying to pass it. Also in games where Pogba is marked out of the game or is having a bad day our creativity suffers a lot, wouldn't you rather have another excellent/good creater in that situation?
Ander is completely underrated with his passing. He passes the ball forward quite a lot more than most of the players people suggest to replace him and plays more through balls. He's obviously had some games where his passing wasnt as good, but I'm talking in general over the course of the season. There's a reason why PSG want him and are willing to pay him wages we are not.

Now remember I'm not talking about Pogba. My suggestion was if Pogba is sold, and Maddison replaces him. So we dont know if he would be more consistent than Pogba for United but he also wouldnt be such a huge part of the team that we'd be stuck without him having a good match because the players around him are doing a better job.

flappyjay

Ander is completely underrated with his passing. He passes the ball forward quite a lot more than most of the players people suggest to replace him and plays more through balls. He's obviously had some games where his passing wasnt as good, but I'm talking in general over the course of the season. There's a reason why PSG want him and are willing to pay him wages we are not.

Now remember I'm not talking about Pogba. My suggestion was if Pogba is sold, and Maddison replaces him. So we dont know if he would be more consistent than Pogba for United but he also wouldnt be such a huge part of the team that we'd be stuck without him having a good match because the players around him are doing a better job.
Anders shot passing has always been excellent but anything over 40 yards he won't even attempt. Which is problem when you start as deep as he does. My Pogba comparison was that Maddison in your midfield would be the creator like Pogba is at the moment, my suggestion was another creator be added to the midfield three. I.e Ndidi-Maddison-someone of the Carrick mould. Who will contribute in a defensive sense and an offensive sense.

Ekeke

Anders shot passing has always been excellent but anything over 40 yards he won't even attempt. Which is problem when you start as deep as he does. My Pogba comparison was that Maddison in your midfield would be the creator like Pogba is at the moment, my suggestion was another creator be added to the midfield three. I.e Ndidi-Maddison-someone of the Carrick mould. Who will contribute in a defensive sense and an offensive sense.
Yeah that could work too. Although then we'd have less players joining the attack, but better passing

flappyjay

Yeah that could work too. Although then we'd have less players joining the attack, but better passing
You have the three forwards plus Maddison all running into the box. Remember the 06-2013 none of Carrick, Scholes and Fletcher got into double figures for goals but they provided the forwards with enough ammunition that we didn't need them to attack as much

AJ10

Right, and ours are used to stabilize the defense. Thats why we've had Matic and Ander there with Pogba in a forward position.

Wjnaldum has done well going forward but obviously not to the level of City's players. Liverpool's midfield is one of the reasons they have a good defensive record, less to do for the backline
At least with Ole Ander was used as a box to box player rather than just protecting our shit back line. Their Midfield wouldn't be "fine" if they had our quality FB's and front 3 but they have really good players in those positions which is one of the main reasons why they finished 2nd and helps mask their lack of creativity and goals in the middle of the park.

Wjnaldum has 3 goals and 0 assists this season in prem, not sure thats considered doing well attacking wise with Salah/Mane/Lighthouse up front.

Ekeke

At least with Ole Ander was used as a box to box player rather than just protecting our shit back line. Their Midfield wouldn't be "fine" if they had our quality FB's and front 3 but they have really good players in those positions which is one of the main reasons why they finished 2nd and helps mask their lack of creativity and goals in the middle of the park.

Wjnaldum has 3 goals and 0 assists this season in prem, not sure thats considered doing well attacking wise with Salah/Mane/Lighthouse up front.
In a couple of games, but in general he was within 5 yards of Matic both protecting the defense by average position

AJ10

In a couple of games, but in general he was within 5 yards of Matic both protecting the defense by average position
Under Ole he played 16 times. Against spurs/pool/chelsea/Arsenal/Wolves I can believe he was closer to Matic but not other teams, Unless you have a link to prove that. When watching those games, he was further up and not within 5 yards of Matic protecting the back 4.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Based on the rumour, more likely we will have this: Pogba McT Rabiot

Giant midfield.

Jibbs

If Pogba stays... get Rabiot and Bruno / Tielemans.

If Pogba leaves. Add another midfielder.

In any case we need at least 2 solid midfielders.

Eoin McMahon

Based on the rumour, more likely we will have this: Pogba McT Rabiot

Giant midfield.
I think Idrissa gueye is worth a shout, very underrated, hes on the last year of his contract, Prem proven and the closest you could get to another Kante like player. PSG were in for him in January shows hes rated by top clubs. I think a midfield 3 of Gueye, Pogba(hopefully stays) and a player who could dictate the play and keep possession(Ruben Neves maybe). We need to move away from big, slow midfielders especially assuming we're going to play quick counter attacking football next season.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think Idrissa gueye is worth a shout, very underrated, hes on the last year of his contract, Prem proven and the closest you could get to another Kante like player. PSG were in for him in January shows hes rated by top clubs. I think a midfield 3 of Gueye, Pogba(hopefully stays) and a player who could dictate the play and keep possession(Ruben Neves maybe). We need to move away from big, slow midfielders especially assuming we're going to play quick counter attacking football next season.
Signing another 30 years old defensive mid or holding mid will be the last thing we should do. Might should go Rice if you are thinking Gueye.

Ekeke

Under Ole he played 16 times. Against spurs/pool/chelsea/Arsenal/Wolves I can believe he was closer to Matic but not other teams, Unless you have a link to prove that. When watching those games, he was further up and not within 5 yards of Matic protecting the back 4.
I looked at it myself. I'm not going to bother posting each individual average match position for most of those games for the 3rd time. He was slightly in front of Matic, both still behind the half way line and close together. He had occasional matches where he played further forward but they were the outliers

redtony

The problem is Everton will want a lot for Gueye, because he is big part of their team and is he worth it then, especially with his age??

AJ10

I looked at it myself. I'm not going to bother posting each individual average match position for most of those games for the 3rd time. He was slightly in front of Matic, both still behind the half way line and close together. He had occasional matches where he played further forward but they were the outliers
:lol: but within 5 yards of each other, right?