Summer 2019 Midfield Rebuild

Judas

Open to offers
IT's just truly baffling to not address the middle of the pitch, I can't think of a single excuse for it. We're relying on Pogba and a bunch who aren't good enough.

Pogba goes out and breaks his leg first game and our season is pretty much over.

Bestietom

People talking about Matic not playing any part this season....isn't he first choice still given that we've chosen not to address that situation? Not sure we have another option?
We are all wishing he will not be playing any part this season but unfortunately, we have not replaced him so far.???. We are all still hoping and praying we do.

Jacob

In terms of numbers we've definitely worsened, plus Matic is getting older and slower. Outside of Pogba, our most trusted midfielder is McTominay at this point in time. Then we have Fred (who's inconsistent and no one really knows where his best position is), Pereira (same as Fred), Matic (becoming a hindrance) and Garner (unknown quantity). It's an awful midfield selection. An injury to Pogba and our midfield is suddenly looking utter shite.
Although I do agree with you to a certain extent, you can flip they coin and say; McTominay/Pereira are more experienced and Fred can only improve.

I know our midfield is far from good, my point was that RB and CB were higher priority and have thus been plugged first. We leaked goals last season.

Littlinho

Our current midfield options are arguably worse than Wolves,Leicester, Everton and Watford , all of whom are trying to break into the top four, we got overrun by fricking West Ham last season ffs!

If anything happens to pogba and mctominay we are screwed, big 4 days coming up to scramble around and pull 2 midfielders out from somewhere..

StrettyEnder07

A lot of people are forgetting that Gomes is actually an attacking CM/No. 10 and I personally think he is ready for the step up.

We probably do need 2 CMs but if we can get one more in before Thursday, be it Bruno or a DMC, I don't think we will be to bad as I can see a few of the kids having their breakthrough season.

Up front Greenwood looks more than ready and Gomes as well looks like he can make the step up, won't be long before he is ahead of Fred/Pereira in the pecking order for me.

One big CM signing would be good though and is well needed.

Lynty

Let's face it, we were never going to plug all holes in one summer. We adressed the two most critical positions with AWB and Maguire. Fellaini and Herrera weren't that great to begin with so I don't think we worsened in midfield with the addition of McTominay, Pereira and to a lesser extent Garner.
100% agree

We've had a sensible transfer window considering we're obviously under financial constraints.

Midfield next year.

Jacob

100% agree

We've had a sensible transfer window considering we're obviously under financial constraints.

Midfield next year.
It's not like our midfield was helped by Young and the CBs last year. With Maguire being more dominant and imposing, it will make life easier for our midfielders this year. AWB will also give confidence to the midfield, they won't have to cover space on the flank that stretches and exposes the midfield unnecessarily. In short, a better defence will strengthen the midfield, all other things equal.

ice-bionic red

Our current midfield options are arguably worse than Wolves,Leicester, Everton and Watford , all of whom are trying to break into the top four, we got overrun by fricking West Ham last season ffs!

If anything happens to pogba and mctominay we are screwed, big 4 days coming up to scramble around and pull 2 midfielders out from somewhere..
This is what I’m worried about and mentioned in the Longataff thread if we were to sign him.

ArjenIsM3

CM: Matic, McTominay, Pogba, Fred, Garner
CAM: Mata, Lingard, Andreas, Gomes

We have the numbers, but we don't have the quality.

settembrini

We need either McTominay or Fred to step up. Both played well at the end of last season and with Matic looking completely finished for 18 months now there is a clear space in the team for one of them to win.

I would actually be happier with our midfield options if Matic was out the squad completely. If he is seen as an important player next season we are in real trouble.

Lynty

It's not like our midfield was helped by Young and the CBs last year. With Maguire being more dominant and imposing, it will make life easier for our midfielders this year. AWB will also give confidence to the midfield, they won't have to cover space on the flank that stretches and exposes the midfield unnecessarily. In short, a better defence will strengthen the midfield, all other things equal.
Maguire likes to step into midfield in possesion also, and is good at it. So in possession we'll actually have an extra man in the middle who's a viable pass

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I would actually be happier with our midfield options if Matic was out the squad completely. If he is seen as an important player next season we are in real trouble.
I cannot believe that Solskjaer doesn't see this, he knows Matic is finished, but is there a replacement in sight..?
Surely we should have been targeting the likes of Neves but there doesn't seem to be anything concrete in this role.

SER19

This is going well.

Midfield is the most important position in modern football. Wolves outplayed us every time last season as they have a better one

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I think that it's completely unforgivable not to address our midfield. I'm not saying we need to transform it, but to not even replace Herrera? I really hope we're not done in the market.

romufc

There aren't many midfielders out there who you would say will come in and slot in straight at United. The fans themselves don't know what kind of midfielder is required.

Some say Rice - But is he really miles ahead of McT? No.
Fernandes - He isnt really a CM - more a No 10.
Longstaff - recovering from injury, is he first team?

Redcy

CM: Matic, McTominay, Pogba, Fred, Garner
CAM: Mata, Lingard, Andreas, Gomes

We have the numbers, but we don't have the quality.
We are one injury away from a midfield collapse. God forbid it’s pogba

croadyman

If anyone can put forward a mobile DM and a creative CM we can still realistically sign them be my guest.

Would rather it wasn't Longstaff but open to suggestions because just desperate for someone to come in now.

Last edited:

Icemav

Its a great point about Maguire. England made Euro semis without a midfield and relied on our defense connecting play with our attack. Even took Croatia 50 mins to overcome this. He will be a great help in covering this weakness even though it desperately needs addressing. I expect huge things though from Mctominay and Pogba this term. We also need to trust youth. Matic, Mata and Young are deadweights and I dearly hope Ole is brave enough not to entrust our season to them.

Smores

If anyone can put forward a mobile DM and a creative CM we can still realistically sign them be my guest.

Would rather it wasn't Longstaff but open to suggestions because just desperate for someone to come in now.
Is that you Ole?

Red_toad

Should have retained Herrera if the midfield wasn’t going to be addressed, pretty simple really.

Infra-red

There aren't many midfielders out there who you would say will come in and slot in straight at United. The fans themselves don't know what kind of midfielder is required.

Some say Rice - But is he really miles ahead of McT? No.
Fernandes - He isnt really a CM - more a No 10.
Longstaff - recovering from injury, is he first team?
We should be looking to sign a pair of midfielders, a #6 and a #8. They should compliment each others' skillsets, with one more focussed on passing the ball and the other on winning it.

This isn't rocket science.

romufc

We should be looking to sign a pair of midfielders, a #6 and a #8. They should compliment each others' skillsets, with one more focussed on passing the ball and the other on winning it.

This isn't rocket science.
Oh yeah, for people like me and you it might not be, but for Ed it definitely is.

We do not sign well in Midfield. Matic, Fred, Fellaini, Pogba (maybe an exception)

Jonesno.8

As part of the announcement has Ole said anything on furthers transfers??? Including the dreaded "I'm happy with my squad". Any reason to think we are "not" still active?

Redcy

Its a great point about Maguire. England made Euro semis without a midfield and relied on our defense connecting play with our attack. Even took Croatia 50 mins to overcome this. He will be a great help in covering this weakness even though it desperately needs addressing. I expect huge things though from Mctominay and Pogba this term. We also need to trust youth. Matic, Mata and Young are deadweights and I dearly hope Ole is brave enough not to entrust our season to them.
We will be relying on lingard, because I do not see us using Gomes or Garner much.

Lee565

How on earth has it been allowed that we are likely going to go into the new season with a worse midfield than last season, we are going to be seeing a lot more of matic again aren't we ffs

Marcus

I am sure we will sign a central midfielder. It's probably going to have to come from the Lukaku money though.

El-Manos

This is going well.

Midfield is the most important position in modern football. Wolves outplayed us every time last season as they have a better one
Yup. If we don’t bring in a holding midfielder, top 4 will be difficult.

MadMike

We need a feckin DM.
Ole seems to be playing a lot with two versatile CMs as opposed to a DM. I think we need more quality in our CMs if everything. Pogba aside, the others are McT (very promising but inexperienced), Fred (very poor so far) and Pereira (very hit and miss).

Numbers wise I think we're fine, it's more of a case of quality vs quantity. I would happily trade Matic or Fred for a really good CM.

VanGaalyTime

100% agree

Midfield next year.
What financial constraints? We're the wealthiest club in the world.

KristianMackle

Ideally we need 2 CMs but that's not going to happen. I think we will get one but who that is will be a mystery if Simon Stone is to be believed.

Redcy

Opinions are mixed on Lingard but he is another young player with lots of potential.
He’s 26, whilst he is a squad player and he could have a break out season, don’t see him upping his level massively.