• Wilfred Zaha

• Douglas Costa

• David Neres

• Suso

• Hirving Lozano

• Steven Bergwijn

Results are only viewable after voting.

StonedhamsterZA

How much do you think that Zaha would cost to us? 60 mil?
This is my thought too. Yes, he didn’t have the best of times with us the first time around, but I don’t think he got a real chance. He’s young and fast, has a trick or two, not 100% sure on his delivery, but surely we’d benefit from our own sell-on clause?

Andersons Dietician

I think we’ll probably not get a RW this year and will maybe move for Sancho next summer depending on how Greenwood and James do this season.

Cliche Guevara

This is my thought too. Yes, he didn’t have the best of times with us the first time around, but I don’t think he got a real chance. He’s young and fast, has a trick or two, not 100% sure on his delivery, but surely we’d benefit from our own sell-on clause?
He’s approaching 27 and is older than Lingard.

Fer

Nicolas Pepe is the 2nd favorite in the poll. We were linked with him days ago, but I was surprised that most of the posters mentioned that he is not good enough. I know he is not Sancho, but he is way better than Lingard/Mata in our RW position.

Ole’s Wheel

Supports
CR7
Is there a global shortage of natural right wingers?
It’s pretty clear we plan on playing Greenwood/James there this season (letting the youngsters show what they got) and then go all in for Sancho next summer.

...3 major positions to fill in - RW, CB, CM. United are focused on getting the latter 2 done (if not at least 1) this summer leaving RW for next year where everything aligns for Sancho.

Not much to be shocked about tbh

Reactions: Invictus

diarm

The right wing is an iconic position at the club but we have purposefully neglected it for a full decade now.

Since selling one of the greatest players in the clubs history for more than £80 million, we have spent a little over £20 million on Valencia and Obertan. Those were both ten years ago, neither are still at the club and we haven't signed a right winger since.

What is going on? Why would a succession of managers, coaches, scouts and the board choose to ignore such an important position. I don't understand it from a footballing perspective and I certainly don't understand it in terms of the history of the No.7 jersey at the club.

Sparky Rhiwabon

It’s pretty clear we plan on playing Greenwood/James there this season (letting the youngsters show what they got) and then go all in for Sancho next summer.

...3 major positions to fill in - RW, CB, CM. United are focused on getting the latter 2 done (if not at least 1) this summer leaving RW for next year where everything aligns for Sancho.

Not much to be shocked about tbh
Yeah makes sense although James clearly prefers the left. Would seem a bit unfair to expect him to make the huge step up whilst also playing semi out of position.

Fıstıkçı Şahap

Yeah, I also said it in another thread that the last RW signing we made was a decade ago and that RW is the new CM (2006-2014) for us. It's an absolutely farcical situation for a club known for it's wingers. Yet people are still going on about CB, the Lukaku replacement (as if we need one), Dybala, Maguire, Bruno Fernandes etc.

RW is a much bigger concern for us and so are DM & CM. We lost Fellaini & Herrera when we already needed quality & reinforcements in midfield and also for the last 1-1,5 year Matic has looked he can't be first choice DM anymore but we'll again neglect that part of the squad too.

Also, Is there any guarantee or an agreement between us & Sancho or Dortmund that he'll join us next year like Real had with Rodrygo, Chelsea had with Pulisic, Arsenal with Saliba? No. It's beyond stupid now. Instead of strenghtening the positions we're weak, we neglect them as long as we can and it's nothing new either. No wonder we're in this state right now.

diarm

I think it's fair that people are going on about CB as well. We've historically had great defenders too and guys like Smalling and Jones have been stealing a living at the club for almost as long as we've been neglecting the RW.

The Irish Connection

Yeah, I also said it in another thread that the last RW signing we made was a decade ago and that RW is the new CM (2006-2014) for us. It's an absolutely farcical situation for a club known for it's wingers. Yet people are still going on about CB, the Lukaku replacement (as if we need one), Dybala, Maguire, Bruno Fernandes etc.

RW is a much bigger concern for us and so are DM & CM. We lost Fellaini & Herrera when we already needed quality & reinforcements in midfield and also for the last 1-1,5 year Matic has looked he can't be first choice DM anymore but we'll again neglect that part of the squad too.

Also, Is there any guarantee or an agreement between us & Sancho or Dortmund that he'll join us next year like Real had with Rodrygo, Chelsea had with Pulisic, Arsenal with Saliba? No. It's beyond stupid now. Instead of strenghtening the positions we're weak, we neglect them as long as we can and it's nothing new either. No wonder we're in this state right now.
You’re spot on dude, but what can we do?

Godfather

Agreed

NoLogo

Honestly I feel we have in all of those positions a really pressing case of needing way better players. DM we need someone like Kanté, an agile hunter who can play the games against these more mobile teams that just run rings around Matic.

Right wing you are totally right about that. Look at Liverpool, Barca, City and all the other European heavy weights, they almost all have 2-3 superb wide players. We don't have a single one. All we have is a bit of potential left in Martial and god knows if he ever lives up to that. Right wing is even worse off where we have jLingz (midtable team player), Mata (way past it) and maybe James (second league player last season) who are all way off world class or even jut top class for the PL players. CB we have a bunch of injury afflicted prone to brain farting CBs who have proven for years now that they aren't top class either and to hope anyone of them bar maybe Lindelöf will ever get there seems far fetched.

The CM position lacks creativity and bite. Someone like Keita or Ndombele would have done us a world of good there but we have to hope Fred can settle in or McTomminay will improve his creative output to get to anywhere half way decent. Pereira might offer a bit more of that creative spark we need but so far I haven't seen a single game from him where I really thought "oh yeah the boy got what it takes to move our team forward."

I have said it before and I'll say it again we need at least 4 borderline world class players to improve this squad to a top level. Maybe even 5 or 6 if you factor in that we aren't having a top level striker and the left wing isn't really settled either.

Patrick08

Business over football. Nothing surprising.

reddevilchennai

Can we change the name of thread into Summer 2020 Right winger. It's quite evident that we aren't going to sign RW this summer

Fer

It's clear that we are not going to sign a RW this transfer window. So, who would be your starter of the current players?

tomaldinho1

Unless we have something lined up with Sancho, it's madness that another top RW has come to the PL and we haven't even been trying to sign them

Fer

If Sane signs for Bayern, I think there's a big chance that City will go for Sancho next season. I wouldn't be surprised if they used Bernardo centrally (instead of David Silva) and Sancho as their main RW.

Next season, Sancho could go to Liverpool (if they sell Mane/Salah to Madrid) or to PSG if they sell one of Neymar or Mbappe. I may be wrong but I think it is going to be more difficult to sign Sancho next transfer window than this one.

The 2nd favorite winger according to the poll already signed for Arsenal.

stevoc

Surely you are not suggesting that a RW is why we get beat? there is players in the squad capable of filling in. Greenwood, Mata, Lingard, Martial, James, Sanchez
By that logic we don't need to sign players for any position as we have players capable of filling in.

Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Bailly, Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Darmian can all play at CB so no need to sign a CB.

Pereira, Fred, Pogba, Mata, McTominay, Matic and Gomez can all play CM so no need to sign another midfielder.

Our side is terribly unbalanced, whenever we play the likes of Mata and Lingard on the RW they meander all over the place and don't keep the opposition left back occupied. Which leads to our RB getting double teamed again and again and they end up just sitting back and not providing any width on the overlap. It results in us having virtually zero threat down one side of our team.

No idea if the stats are available but I would love to see how many of our goals over the last 5 years have came down the left as opposed to the right. And how many of the goals we've conceded have came down our left.

Mr Smith

Nah, there's just not many on the market right now because we missed the boat on some really good ones over the past couple of years. Should have made a serious push for Pulisic, Pepe, Mane, and Lucas Moura among others. Still infuriates me the way we missed out on Pedro.

romufc

By that logic we don't need to sign players for any position as we have players capable of filling in.

Smalling, Jones, Rojo, Bailly, Lindelof, Tuanzebe and Darmian can all play at CB so no need to sign a CB.

Pereira, Fred, Pogba, Mata, McTominay, Matic and Gomez can all play CM so no need to sign another midfielder.

Our side is terribly unbalanced, whenever we play the likes of Mata and Lingard on the RW they meander all over the place and don't keep the opposition left back occupied. Which leads to our RB getting double teamed again and again and they end up just sitting back and not providing any width on the overlap. It results in us having virtually zero threat down one side of our team.

No idea if the stats are available but I would love to see how many of our goals over the last 5 years have came down the left as opposed to the right. And how many of the goals we've conceded have came down our left.

I agree we need a RW but the way this window has gone, I would rather see a CB and CM come in because we are short of quality in those positions.

I would love a RW, but it has to be of the highest quality, I do not think Woodward has the capacity to deliver in this transfer window.

Patrick08

Yeah after we let go of Mane, Salah, Dembele, Mbappe, pepe, Bernardo Silva, Malcom, Moura, Bernardeshi, Costa, Mahrez, there is a genuine shortage of right wingers in world football except for Sancho who we are waiting for a right moment to sign just like we waited for Deligt to come to us with zero competition.

Sparky Rhiwabon

Yeah after we let go of Mane, Salah, Dembele, Mbappe, pepe, Bernardo Silva, Malcom, Moura, Bernardeshi, Costa, Mahrez, there is a genuine shortage of right wingers in world football except for Sancho who we are waiting for a right moment to sign just like we waited for Deligt to come to us with zero competition.
So we've just chosen not to buy one??

RG 11

I feel like our CBs can get by for a season if we signed a competent DM and a RW. Our entire attack is imbalanced with pogba, martial and rashford all playing from the left and trying to cut in.

Teams don't exactly have a challenge defending their left side because Mata and Lingard drift centrally too. We rarely end up switching play and the only thing which happens is the right back ends up up front and puts in a shit cross.

These problems will remain even if we got Maguire (unless Greenwood really shines).

stevoc

I agree we need a RW but the way this window has gone, I would rather see a CB and CM come in because we are short of quality in those positions.

I would love a RW, but it has to be of the highest quality, I do not think Woodward has the capacity to deliver in this transfer window.
I mostly agree mate with the way this window is going i'd be happy enough if we managed to sign anyone.

Ideally we would have one of the worlds best right wingers but we have literally no proper wingers bar James who is an unknown quantity at this point. We could and should have signed the best RW available to us this summer even if as a a stop gap. Theres no guarantee we will be able to sign Sancho or whoever next year, and even if we did competition is not a bad thing. We used to have Ronaldo, Giggs, Park and Nani for the wings even Park who was the least talented out of those 4 walks into the current side on the wing.

romufc

I mostly agree mate with the way this window is going i'd be happy enough if we managed to sign anyone.

Ideally we would have one of the worlds best right wingers but we have literally no proper wingers bar James who is an unknown quantity at this point. We could and should have signed the best RW available to us this summer even if as a a stop gap. Theres no guarantee we will be able to sign Sancho or whoever next year, and even if we did competition is not a bad thing. We used to have Ronaldo, Giggs, Park and Nani for the wings even Park who was the least talented out of those 4 walks into the current side on the wing.
Agreed, but looking at the last 6 years, We have not had a right side at all. The last real right back was Gary Neville? and RW was probably Nani?

We keep signing players to play off the left when we have 2 young talents in Rashford and Martial.

We are doing that with our CM as well, we need to identify players that can fit into the team. Our transfer policy has been shocking.

When teams sign players, you can identify what role they will play. I.E Liverpoool needed a holder and box to box so signed Fabinho and Keita
Same with City - Fernandhino replacement and got him a season early to transition.

Utd on the other hand- Oh look Sanchez is available lets sign him but till now we do not know how he fits into this Utd team.
Fred - City were after him so he must be good - What position can he play? DM? box to box? creator?

Dr. StrangeHate

And the correct answer is no right winger. As a libtard I prefer no right wingers to join us anyway.

stevoc

Agreed, but looking at the last 6 years, We have not had a right side at all. The last real right back was Gary Neville? and RW was probably Nani?

We keep signing players to play off the left when we have 2 young talents in Rashford and Martial.

We are doing that with our CM as well, we need to identify players that can fit into the team. Our transfer policy has been shocking.

When teams sign players, you can identify what role they will play. I.E Liverpoool needed a holder and box to box so signed Fabinho and Keita
Same with City - Fernandhino replacement and got him a season early to transition.

Utd on the other hand- Oh look Sanchez is available lets sign him but till now we do not know how he fits into this Utd team.
Fred - City were after him so he must be good - What position can he play? DM? box to box? creator?
A lot of that has gone one, as good as Dybala is i suspect that potential deal is similar.

romufc

A lot of that has gone one, as good as Dybala is i suspect that potential deal is similar.
Exactly, he was never identified as a target. Now we will have to find a way of fitting him into the team.

But with this one, luckily we seem to be playing 4-2-3-1 and the 10 is filled with Lingard atm. So you could see him in that role but will he put the same pressing effort?

MrBest

Im more worried about getting a proper midfielder than a winger. Greenwood is coming through and would love for him to to get minutes and James has looked good to. Both not world class but fine for now. We lost our best midfielder in June and he needs to be replaced. I do not trust matic fred andreas to win the battles in the most important area of the park.pogba will be hit or miss this year.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Watching how far forward AWB/Dalot has been getting, I think we’re going to look for the width through them.

stevoc

Exactly, he was never identified as a target. Now we will have to find a way of fitting him into the team.

But with this one, luckily we seem to be playing 4-2-3-1 and the 10 is filled with Lingard atm. So you could see him in that role but will he put the same pressing effort?
We have to play him at 10 he's too good to shunt out onto the wing. Personally i don't see him putting in the same workrate as Lingard but he has way more quality and end product so it's a trade off.

romufc

We have to play him at 10 he's too good to shunt out onto the wing. Personally i don't see him putting in the same workrate as Lingard but he has way more quality and end product so it's a trade off.
Agreed, but lets not get ahead of ourselves. We still have time to Feck this transfer up.