Summer Transfer Window 2019

Skills

Snitch
Who else thinks this looks increasingly like our worst transfer window post Fergie? Everyone was having a crywank over not getting Sancho this summer, but overall this summer window will prove to be much better than what came before.

We spent £150m on AWB, Maguire and Daniel James. We're never going to recover anywhere near that amount from them and the quality they added looks increasingly not good enough.

gajender

Who else thinks this looks increasingly like our worst transfer window post Fergie? Everyone was having a crywank over not getting Sancho this summer, but overall this summer window will prove to be much better than what came before.

We spent £150m on AWB, Maguire and Daniel James. We're never going to recover anywhere near that amount from them and the quality they added looks increasingly not good enough.
Oh the heady days of cultural reboot but as it turns out we got our pants pulled down yet again for overrated dross ,not that many didn't see it coming from miles off.

El Zoido

The majority of fans considered this a good window at the time. It was acknowledged we overpaid for Maguire, but we accepted that we really needed a CB and there wasn’t anyone better available.

Web of Bissaka

Plenty of strong contenders for the worst post-saf transfer window award.

Worst Summer
1. Summer 18' (Grant, Dalot, Fred)
2. Summer 15' (Depay, Schneiderlin, Darmian, Schweini, Martial, Romero)
3. Summer 19' (Maguire, AWB, James)
4. Summer 13' (Fellaini)

Last edited:

Skills

Snitch

Worst Summer
4. Summer 13' (Mata & Fellaini)
I don't think any of those are as bad.

The problem with summer 19 is the players we've signed are so expensive so unless we manage to move them on, they'll be mainstays in the first team picture just because of their price tag.

It's easier for the club to write off a few million on Schweinsteiger and Damian and "go again" in the market than write off 80m and 50m on players they got hoodwinked into signing on the promise of them being mainstays for 10 years. It's similar to reluctance they had with swapping Martial for Perisic, but I don't think anyone will be interested in swap deals involving Maguire and AWB.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Worst Summer
Wasn't summer 13 just Fellaini, Mata came in Jan 2014 didn't he?

Surely that and the complete feck up overpaying for Fellaini, and getting messed about with on Bale, Ronaldo returning, Fabregas etc makes summer 13 the worst!

Idxomer

I've never viewed the 2019 summer as good, gutting your attack and midfield and then buying a CB and RB for 130m never looked to me like good business.

Skills

Snitch
Wasn't summer 13 just Fellaini, Mata came in Jan 2014 didn't he?

Surely that and the complete feck up overpaying for Fellaini, and getting messed about with on Bale, Ronaldo returning, Fabregas etc makes summer 13 the worst!
Fellaini is probably one of our better signings of the last 7 years. He was a favourite of 2 consecutive managers (who hasn't even signed him for reference) and scored huge goals for us.

We only got rid of him because Ole/the club wanted to make a massive PR statement of the return to the "United way"

Idxomer

Worst Summer
I think this one may have affected our football the most but not the long-term plans as Mourinho got rid easily of Depay, Schneiderlin, and Bastian. We even got good money for the 1st two. Darmian stayed too long but he didn't cost much.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

Web of Bissaka

I don't think any of those are as bad.

The problem with summer 19 is the players we've signed are so expensive so unless we manage to move them on, they'll be mainstays in the first team picture just because of their price tag.

It's easier for the club to write off a few million on Schweinsteiger and Damian and "go again" in the market than write off 80m and 50m on players they got hoodwinked into signing on the promise of them being mainstays for 10 years. It's similar to reluctance they had with swapping Martial for Perisic, but I don't think anyone will be interested in swap deals involving Maguire and AWB.
True the S19 have way greater price tag but I'm not sure if they are more expensive. I mean I'm no expert accountant and don't have all the detailed info, but I'm confident the S15 made us waste plenty more money in the long run if we also consider all the extra multiple payments and wages.

S18 is just us wasting a window. Grant is useless and not needed. Dalot is a good idea in getting a promising young player but that's always 50-50, hindsight will say he's bad transfer. Fred is not really needed at that time since both Herrera and McT are already B2Bs, and we are in need of a pure DM which Fred is not. Why I sink that window is the worst is because we're wasting the opportunity to build up on a solid season 17/18. None of those 3 players will threatened any of the first team players. It's a waste. We need greater qualities and we ignore it incompetently.

Skills

Snitch
True the S19 have way greater price tag but I'm not sure if they are more expensive. I mean I'm no expert accountant and don't have all the detailed info, but I'm confident the S15 made us waste plenty more money in the long run if we also consider all the bonus payments and wages.

S18 is just us wasting a window. Grant is useless and not needed. Dalot is a good idea in getting a promising young player but hindsight will say he's bad transfer. Fred is not really needed at that time since both Herrera and McT are already B2Bs, and we are in need of a pure DM which Fred is not. Why I sink that window is the worst is because we're wasting the opportunity to build up on a solid season 17/18. None of those 3 players will threatened any of the first team players. It's a waste. We need greater qualities and we ignore it incompetently.
I don't think that's true - for example the club recouped almost all of the money for Schneiderlin and Depay. I remember the club wrote off £6m when they let Schweinsteiger go in January 17. These three were only at the club for 18 months.

I mean you can say summer 18 was a missed opportunity but by that notion I would say that's the same for summer 19 too.

We didn't solve our porblems in summer 18 with a lack of signings and we failed to solve our long term problems with awfully expensive signings we did make in summer 19 (the same positions are now on an even longer list of positions we now need to improve). We've gambled our medium to long term future away on them if they don't deliver.

Web of Bissaka

I don't think that's true - for example the club recouped almost all of the money for Schneiderlin and Depay. I remember the club wrote off £6m when they let Schweinsteiger go in January 17. These three were only at the club for 18 months.
Morgan 35m --> 23m
Depay 34m --> 16m
Darmian 18m --> 2.5m
Schweini 9m --> Free, released (not sure where that 6m came from, is it his value in the accounting book?)
*Transfer market*

Martial and Romero are good buys.

I mean you can say summer 18 was a missed opportunity but by that notion I would say that's the same for summer 19 too.

We didn't solve our porblems in summer 18 with a lack of signings and we failed to solve our long term problems with awfully expensive signings we did make in summer 19 (the same positions are now on an even longer list of positions we now need to improve). We've gambled our medium to long term future away on them if they don't deliver.
I think S19 is different, because both Mag and AWB became starting 11 immediately, replacing the random CB and Valencia essentially. This is just a small progress towards our ongoing defense problem. The problem lies on selling, less on buying although that is also a problem. We dismantled the squad, stripping it thin with less forwards and less quality of impact midfield, and paid the cost of it which we only improve in Jan and the next summer 20. Many problem still remains. S19 is a bit missed opportunity because Ole decided to gamble on youth and Lingard which didn't pay off.

True if we consider the whole thing including the whole squad management including outs, then I would rank the S19 at 2nd.

If we only consider specifics just the buying part, plannings, results and first team playing squad, both Mag and AWB are here for the long term, no doubt they improved the team even if after that, our current level is still trash. S15 had Martial and Romero for the longer terms, and Darmian who helped us won two trophies short term. The other three players (and Matteo afterwards) are just a waste of space and money, hence why I put S15 at 2nd. We also had to ask LVG's planning here being terrible... why get Schweini if we already had similarly Carrick. Getting a physical CDM is right but I never rate Schneiderling, why freaking him? Depay is arguably a good idea.. a young promising winger but then why also get Martial at the same window who played in the same position? It screams poor planning.

I still think S18 is the worst - just plain trash, screams incompetency by the club. Clearly the club has no directions nor good plannings. That window S18 clearly say the club is fully satisfied reaching 2nd place the season before.
"Improving the squad even more? no need. We're the 2nd best team already. Good enough for top 4 every seasons.
Oh also here's a new midfielder to join our already big midfield department offering nothing new, and an old 3rd choice GK because why not?
RW? CB? LB? RB? who needs those."

Last edited:

chb23

Imagine signing sancho for $120M.

We would be having the same discussion haha

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Fellaini is probably one of our better signings of the last 7 years. He was a favourite of 2 consecutive managers (who hasn't even signed him for reference) and scored huge goals for us.

We only got rid of him because Ole/the club wanted to make a massive PR statement of the return to the "United way"
I'll be honest, Fellaini for me is one of the worst signings we made. It was an immediate sign that we were putting aside Sir Alexs roots and footballing ways to play an aggressive one dimensional Bolton type of football. The player himself was ok, he had a terrible touch at times and made dumb mistakes but at least he tried. But our strategy of abandoning our style and just lumping it forward and hoping Fellaini would head it on was the immediate step down for United. Shit show tactics. It was like when England would throw Crouch on in desperation and i'd curse the Manager for being a twat and not playing the full 90 minutes believing in his system and approach. That was the beauty of Sir Alex and his teams, they'd continue to probe and push for the full 94+ minutes believing that eventually they'd break the opponent down. None of this bottling it and lumping long crosses into the box bullshit. It pissed me off no end. It's one of the many reasons I hated David Moyes being at the club.

However, having said all that... Di Maria is stll one of our worst ever signings and it has to be said, i'd put Pogba in that category too, for the amount we paid for him we got absolutely mugged and it looks like he'll leave United in a messy way. It's lucky that no fans are in the stadium right now as I imagine Pogba would be getting all kinds of abuse. What he and his twat of an agent did did before the Leipzig game is unforgivable for me.

As for windows, 16/17 is one of our worst imo. Look at the amount of money we spent, 1 super star signing that did ok for 12/18 months before failing hard. The other two are bad signings that have little to zero input into the team to date. Close to 200million spent on feck all. Depressing. At least we got Zlatan in that window. 15/16 was also a shitshow. There have been very few signings since Sir Alex retired that I would quantify as a success frankly.

::sonny::

Worst Summer
4. Summer 13' (Fellaini)

Rated the best 1 yr ago

Skills

Snitch
So another year down the line, how are we rating this transfer window now?

It was the cultural reboot transfer window, where we went for the long term strategy. Buy players to be mainstays for the next decade. With another years evidence, did it achieve what we wanted from it?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Back then i criticized that transfer window and people bashed me that i am anti British brigade. But it was obvious that we spent money wrongly and that was first sign how we will look in future. Defensive team who wait on counter attacks

Amir

We spent tons of money on those two defenders because Solskjaer was desperate to improve the backline in order to keep his job. They are good defendera and were an improvement on what we had back then, which was the only thing that mattered at the time. Survival.

Lee565

The transfers were Mourinho like by buying two defenders for more than they are worth and suited to playing within a d deep defensive line in cautious tactical set up even though ole says he is all about the united way

kundalini

So another year down the line, how are we rating this transfer window now?

It was the cultural reboot transfer window, where we went for the long term strategy. Buy players to be mainstays for the next decade. With another years evidence, did it achieve what we wanted from it?
Maguire was a terrible choice due to his lack of pace. Wan-Bissaka was a hugely problematic choice due to his limited technical ability, especially in the context of United's approach of using right-sided attackers that tend to drift inside. Dan James was irrelevant. He didn't cost that much, his salary was relatively modest by PL standards, he was only a regular starter until Greenwood was considered to be ready.

We didn't need to buy a new CB, we needed to organise the defenders we had and insist that the midfield and attackers also contribute towards restricting the opposition from creating chances.

United's attitude to almost every problem is to go out and spend a lot of money on a new player.

Last edited:

cyril C

Worst Summer
4. Summer 13' (Fellaini)
I would consider 15 summer as the worst. Only Romero is good enough as NO 2., which fit with intention. The rest of them can't even be a backup player, let alone 1st choice.

RkkMan

Maguire was a terrible choice due to his lack of pace. Wan-Bissaka was a hugely problematic choice due to his limited technical ability, especially in the context of United's approach of using right-sided attackers that tend to drift inside. Dan James was irrelevant. He didn't cost that much, his salary was relatively modest by PL standards, he was only a regular starter until Greenwood was considered to be ready.

We didn't need to buy a new CB, we needed to organise the defenders we had and insist that the midfield and attackers also contribute towards restricting the opposition from creating chances.

United's attitude to almost every problem is to go out and spend a lot of money on a new player.
Absolute ludicrous statement that we didn't need a CB summer of 2019 when Smalling and Jones were still our best CBs and De Gea horribly out of form, we conceded FIFTY FOUR PL GOALS. A more logical opinion would be signing a CB that wasn't Maguire at the time if you feel he isn't/wasn't up to scratch(I personally think he's just out form due to being overplayed non stop even through injuries because he's showcased much better performances for club in the past and country)
Koulibaly was available that summer but for 9 figures and he is 2yrs older while someone like De Ligt only wanted CL football so I'm not sure who else we could have signed but a new CB that summer was 10000000000000000% required even if Maguire is currently not playing well

100% our worst transfer window in memory.

Maguire and Bissaka for a combined £130m will go down in football's hall of shame.

Two of the worst players in our entire squad... no possiblity of getting close to recouping our money.

Maguire 29 in a few months, captaining a team who play in his image - brainless and with zero intensity, slow as molasses, takes up appalling positions consistently, relegated 4 times - twice with the most goals conceded in the entire league.

Bissaka one of the most technically and tactically inept players to ever wear the shirt. Terrible in posession and an even worse defender. The only thing he's good for is being a human litmus test of 'do you understand defending or do just you want to see slide tackles'. Another in the squad who's lazy to a comical degree. Never seen a counter-attack he wouldn't slowly jog back on.