Summer Transfer Window

bosskeano

Would you consider this a positive window based on what we are seeing with the transfer rumors....EtH trying to have an english core of players who know the league, are a good age and are players in areas of real need.

IN......Kane, Rice, Mount. Kim and Frimpong brought in once Maguire and AWB are inevitably sold.

Sold....Maguire, AWB
Maguire especially has to leave given he's lost his place and now his England place is in jeopardy and AWB doesn't fit what EtH wants for a RB so he's going to be sold as well.

I'm sure other players will be leaving like Jones but we don't know that 100% plus they don't have any real market value(Bailly, Donny)

Possible sales could be Henderson and Scott as they are the two guys who have any real market value to help fund the rebuild without really impacting the first XI. I know some talk about Martial and Sancho but i don't see Sancho leaving and if Martial leaves then we have to bring in a second CF and what real market value does Martial have right now?

Todd

I'd rather we kept AWB and sold Dalot, but a summer window of Kane, Rice, Mount, Frimpong, and KMJ is a good summer.

That being said I'd rather we not sign Mount- use that money for a young striker to learn under Kane- and sign Rabiot on a free.

bosskeano

I'd rather we kept AWB and sold Dalot, but a summer window of Kane, Rice, Mount, Frimpong, and KMJ is a good summer.

That being said I'd rather we not sign Mount- use that money for a young striker to learn under Kane- and sign Rabiot on a free.
It looks like Dalot is the choice based on reports of them renewing his contract

You get Kane, Rice and KMJ....that's a strong summer b/c it's the spine of your team. Frimpong is a mystery just in terms of what position as he plays allover the place for Leverkusen

I'm on the fence with Mount...he's a decent player but i'm with you about bringing in another attacking forward and giving that spot to one of the youth players. Rabiot and his mom are a nightmare so pass on him.

Dominos

It looks like Dalot is the choice based on reports of them renewing his contract
Bit odd how AWB is ending the season as first choice if he's to be sold in the summer.

It's not like we're bringing him in for certain games to combat a tricky winger, he's starting every game.

bosskeano

Bit odd how AWB is ending the season as first choice if he's to be sold in the summer.

It's not like we're bringing him in for certain games to combat a tricky winger, he's starting every game.
Showing him for the summer window? Agree though it’s a bit odd

Red Rash

I still don't think it will happen but definitely if we could bring in Kane, Rice, Mount, Kim and Frimpong we would have to consider that as a great window on paper.

The one I'm a bit less keen on is Mount but if we can bring in the others I'd be ok with signing him.

Personally I would get rid of Maguire, Dalot, Henderson, McTominay, Bailly, Telles, Elanga, Williams and maybe a few others.

The only reason for Dalot would be that I think AWB has been fantastic recently and from what I read about Frimpong he is super attack minded so I think AWB provides more balance as an alternative option in some of the tougher games where we may need to defend more.

Swedish_Plumber

I’d miss AWB if he was to be sold. Think he’s really improved this season and is a much better defender than dalot and frimpong. Has looked to improve going forward too.

Whether or not we set up to ensure the positives in attacking outweigh that defensive liability is another matter though and something I trust ten hag will have a plan for.

bosskeano

thought it was odd yesterday that AWB kept constantly getting caught in hte middle of the pitch and following players allover the place....just lacked some discipline in the first half

i think, again just based on rumors, that EtH is doing the right thing this summer and targeting the spine of the team.

Kane, Rice, Kim....two guys who know the league and two guys who are more than proven to be good enough and both are desperate to win trophies and compete in the CL. Kim has been brilliant for Napoli, won the league and made a deep run in the CL. He's got great size and very good pace for being 6'3. Frimpong would be a solid addition because he's good going forward, electric pace and versatile.

the wild card for me would be Mount....just don't see the fit at 50m.

i'd rather look at a guy like Caicedo, McAllister, Tyler Adams....guys that are true CM's that can add something to the mix b/c lets face it, Casemiro and Eriksen have maybe one more season left in their legs.

Alek M

Da manic one
My dream summer

Kane
Caicedo (We need a better cm than Eriksen)
Kim
A young forward

Sell
Maguire
Fred (if funds are needed)
Elanga
Martial (He could be useful back up but maybe another back up is better)

nangis

IN:

Kane
Caicedo
Rice
Kim
A winger
A yound striker

OUT:

Maguire
Henderson
Elanga
Bailly
Telles
Elanga
Williams
van de Beek
Tuanzebe
Sancho (loan)

Gurtej

My dream summer

Kane
Caicedo (We need a better cm than Eriksen)
Kim
A young forward

Sell
Maguire
Fred (if funds are needed)
Elanga
Martial (He could be useful back up but maybe another back up is better)
Few addition to this including expected money:

Buy:

Kane: 80m given 30 years old and last year of contract. Not too many options for Spurs to sell given Pool and City won't need them and I doubt he will move to Chelsea. Bayern can be a possibility but again I don't think they can pay the fees.
Caicedo (We need a better cm than Eriksen): 75m, I really like him and hopefully we can get him
Kim: 50m exit clause I think
A young forward: 40m?

So in total we are looking at 250m outgoing

Sell:

1) Harry M: 40m, I think with 35m + 5m add ons we can sell him, figure could have been higher but his wages will become issue so lets just sell him
2) Mctom: 40m, I think with 30m + 5m add ons we can sell him
3) Henderson: 25m, I think he has shown enough to command this price
4) Elanga: 15m (learn from Pool to get returns)
5) Van De Beek: On loan with option to buy as I don't think he has a future here and given injury we can sell him
6) Martial: Surely 15m
7) all others like Telles, Williams, Baily and some others at 20m in total.

150m or so incoming, so total net 100m spend.

Now if we are overtaken, I am sure we can add another strong midfielder in...I would love to go again for FDJ in event of successful takeover.

Waynne

You get Kane, Rice and KMJ....that's a strong summer b/c it's the spine of your team. Frimpong is a mystery just in terms of what position as he plays allover the place for Leverkusen

I'm on the fence with Mount...he's a decent player but i'm with you about bringing in another attacking forward and giving that spot to one of the youth players. Rabiot and his mom are a nightmare so pass on him.
I'd be very happy with that while offloading Maguire and McTominay. No idea if Martial should be given another season at this club :lol:

Suprised not many are mentioning Rabiot on a free?

bosskeano

we have some assets we can sell this summer and clearly we need to do so....get that dead weight off our books and bring in guys that EtH wants that would fit his system and style of play

clearly...henderson, scott, Maguire and Martial are top of the list in terms of players we could receive a decent amount

Waynne

we have some assets we can sell this summer and clearly we need to do so....get that dead weight off our books and bring in guys that EtH wants that would fit his system and style of play

clearly...henderson, scott, Maguire and Martial are top of the list in terms of players we could receive a decent amount
If we get rid of Martial and bring in Kane, we'd be down to only 2 strikers.

meamth

It'll be a very difficult transfer season with Newcastle in the CL. Just realised this after waking up today.

We want Osimhen, but if he is available then Newcastle can offer him ridiculous amount of money with CL. I'd imagine they can do this to every high quality players in the summer.

Unless we have Qatar as our owners, then I'm predicting a very underwhelming transfer business for us. We will have to wait for Newcastle getting all the best available players, and we're settling for alternatives...

Valencia Shin Crosses

If we get all of those, then sure it’s an 8/10 summer or so. I still think Mount is an awful choice of a midfield signing given he’s never been successful as an actual midfielder at Chelsea and the 50m could be much better spent on a true midfielder in that spot. But Kim/Kane/ Frimpong are brilliant buys and Rice is useful even if overpriced

RobbieBerns

I think perfect summer would be Kane, Rice/Caicedo, Kim, Frimpong, Rabiot

Sold: Maguire, one of AWB/Dalot (preferable because better balance of offensive and defensive full back), one of Fred/McTominay, Donny

I could maybe see picking up another free agent in Thuram if we can get Martial off the books? Not sure what goes down with keepers.

A starting XI of
Keeper
Frimpong - Varane - Martinez - Shaw
Casemiro - Rice/Caicedo
Sancho - Bruno - Rashford
Kane

Bench: Keeper, Kim, Lindelof, AWB/Dalot, Fred/McTominay, Rabiot, Garnacho, Eriksen, Antony

Would leave us with a strong eleven and bench and cover in pretty much every position, still not a City level squad but basically as close we can get even after a considerable outlay.

NoPace

It’s really all about quality. One great striker, a quality central midfielder, an RCB and a keeper to challenge De Gea.

We have young talent in the wide positions I can easily talk myself into improving in year 2 under Ten Hag, but centrally we obviously need some big signings.

CM10

Big summer ahead both in terms of incomings and outgoings. I doubt we'll get everything we need because we never do, but it doesn't feel unachievable to have a good window.

Kim Min Jae would be a smart signing because he has that release clause and can cover both CB channels if needed. He'd be a useful player to have if Martinez's return is delayed, and even if not, Varane can seemingly never stay fit. Kane would be a great signing for the right price but Spurs won't make any concessions for us. I wouldn't be hugely keen on us signing any of the other players listed in the opening post but I guess I wouldn't grumble too much if we signed Rice.

If you gave me any half decent goalkeeper, Rabiot and Ugarte in addition to Kim and Kane I'd be very happy with our business. There should be enough from that group to see tangible improvement next season and it'd enable us to sell a few to balance the books.

Telsim

Sell the deadwood.

Get Kokcu/Caicedo, Min-Jae, Costa/Raya, Frimpong, Jonathan David.

Don't get Mount.

RopersReturn

Would prefer to focus on bringing in another dm, maybe Palinha? Also a right back and a striker. But if we could stretch to possibly four new signings then I’d also look at buying a new keeper too funded by offloading 3 or more of our existing squad.

Von Mistelroum

My perfect summer if we had a decent amount to spend (while still trying to not be completely unrealistic) would be:

In: Kim, Frimpong, Caicedo, (maybe Rabiot on a free to shore up midfield), Kang In-Lee, Osimhen (Kane if we can't get him would do or Muani)

Out: Maguire, Martial, Dalot, Henderson, McTom (Fred too if we got Rabiot), Telles, Elanga and Weghorst.

That would give us a very attack minded team with many players who have a high skill level and can offer something dangerous such as dribbling, incisive passes or goals to threaten any team we were to face.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
In reality, it won't be a clearout or loads of new signings. That's not needed. I'd maintain the team is a lot closer than many people say it is. Any major upgrade on Weghorst/Martial alone gets us a few extra goals and a few extra points.

In terms of transfers.

Telles, Bailly and Henderson to go permanently.

Martial will be sold once a replacement striker has been signed.

Maguire will go but will probably be a loan with an option to go permanently next summer. Same situation with Van de Beek.

Elanga needs a loan move (Convinced there's still a player there. Given the development of Diallo, Sunderland would be a decent shout.)

Diallo or Pellestri would both suit a Premier League loan move.

In terms of signings. Get Kim Min Jae in then we have our centre back situation sorted. Varane, Martinez, Kim Min Jae and Lindelof is a very good selection of centre backs.

Sign cover for the midfielder (I actually think Mount would be a decent shout here.)

We also need an update on upgrade on McTominay but that can probably wait another 12 months.

The priority has to be signing two strikers. One to be first choice and then a second to be a rotation option. No idea who you sign to be the main man (Kane is the obvious choice but dealing with Levy is never easy.)

Tammy Abraham might be the man to be that second striker who can be a rotation option.

We definitely need at least one keeper. I think keeping De Gea as first choice wouldn't be the end of the world for 12 months. You need to sign a back up though. Kaylor Navas now has some Premier League experience and could work well to be that experienced sub keeper.

eire-red

Showing him for the summer window? Agree though it’s a bit odd
Think AWB has had a brilliant second half to the season and I'd be reluctant to let him leave. He's improved in nearly all aspects of his game and links well with Antony down the right.

In honesty, I would find it bizarre if we spent money on a RB this summer before addressing the glaring holes in our squad.

Kane, Diogo Costa, Kim Min-jae and Rabiot on a free would be a successful window in my eyes.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
A striker is first and foremost what we need most urgently, whether that's Kane or another, and possibly a young up and coming striker, South American perhaps? Seems to be a decent market.
RB to me is not a great issue, AWB has certainly improved lately, but other posters have mentioned his positioning is sometimes a bit awry, but if Ten Hag and his coaches can keep working with him, he could really get to a very good level. Dalot is decent, and could slot in at LB if required, and also Laird is back.
Shaw, Malacia and Fernandez (another loan for him next season?), have LB covered. CB I would think we would look at, but it depends if Ten Hag feels that Kambwala and/or Mengi can reach EPL standard, as Lindelof has certainly been a revelation these last few matches, it's like having a new player.
Midfield really is a conundrum, Casemiro is a cert, but Eriksen, Fred, and McTominay all have their strengths, and more importantly, their weaknesses. I feel that Eriksen could be an alternative to Bruno in that AM role, but Bruno hardly gets injured, or rested. Fred I like, but he certainly is more effective further forward, and occasionally is a liability in defensive situations. I can see us bringing one top class midfielder in, whoever that may be.
The wide playing areas seem to be well stocked, Antony, Sancho, Amad, Pellestri on the right Rashford, Garnacho, Martial and possibly Sancho on the left.
The goalkeeping situation I don't think will change, I have a feeling that De Gea will stay, I know he makes the odd error (as most keepers do), and he's not the greatest at coming for the ball, but all things considered, I think he will be at OT next season, but we need someone to push him, whether that's Henderson, if he talks to Ten Hag, and Ten Hag wants him, or Vitek, or a new keeper I'm not sure.
The players leaving almost certainly will be Maguire, Telles, McTominay (if you believe that he wants regular matches), VDB, Elanga (probably loan).
I really hope that the academy lads, Hannibal, Laird, Fernandez, Shoretire, Mainoo, Iqbal etc can made headway this year, although probably several of them will be out on loan again.

RedorDead21

I’d miss AWB if he was to be sold. Think he’s really improved this season and is a much better defender than dalot and frimpong. Has looked to improve going forward too.

Whether or not we set up to ensure the positives in attacking outweigh that defensive liability is another matter though and something I trust ten hag will have a plan for.
AWB is a starter in certain games against europes best next season. Our attack is garbage so his output gets more scrutiny. Someone like Kane scoring up top and suddenly the narrative on our full backs becomes much nicer, for them.

bosskeano

agree that the first position we need to address is the CF spot. It's honestly what cost us winning in the Europa league and what cost us being a title challenger in the premier league. Our defensive stats were pretty solid but the other end of the pitch is what hurt us.

CM upgrade is clearly the second spot we need to address. EtH seems married to the 4231 system especially with Bruno at the 10 so i don't think a traditional #8 is exactly what we need. We need more of a 6 who has strong defensive habits, can partner with Casemiro but has the skill set to help in the building phase. I don't think Mount fits that role b/c he's not a strong defensive presence and really isn't the type of midfielder that would be a guy you'd play thru in the building phase. Caicedo/Ugarte seems more to fit that role or even his partner Alex.

@meamth i think newcastle will reinforce for sure given they have money and made the CL. I don't think Osimhen would look at them as a viable option simply b/c this could easily be a one off and they haven't traditionally been in the top 4. Not too mention they have Wilson and Isaak already as their #9. They have a solid squad so who they bring in will be interesting in terms of immediate improvement.

@Waynne if you sell Martial you use those funds to maybe bring in Hojlund or find another young striker who you can work with. I just can't take another season of watching Martial walk around the pitch.

Hester_manc

No reason to discuss who United is going to buy, before Glazers have decided what is going to happen to our club.

RedorDead21

No reason to discuss who United is going to buy, before Glazers have decided what is going to happen to our club.
But that’s not likely to conclude before the summer window closes..we need to be doing business before then and I’m sure the new owners will be putting in bids on the basis of not taking over a club resigned to finishing outside the top 4

Hester_manc

But that’s not likely to conclude before the summer window closes..we need to be doing business before then and I’m sure the new owners will be putting in bids on the basis of not taking over a club resigned to finishing outside the top 4
Agree. But do you think the club will spend any money, when they do not know the future of the club? I can not see United make any bigger transfers, until it is clear who is the club`s owner.

Irwin99

The uncertainty over the takeover is a bit worrying and how it might affect possible transfers. There are lots of players we're linked with that I would love to have here; Kim min jae, Frimpong, Rabiot, Kane etc but honestly not sure if all that is feasible. Everyone is crying out for a new goalkeeper but i don't think that's happening next season and I actually expect it to be something like what happened with Liverpool and Alisson- a huge fee for a big keeper in one window.

Out: McTominay, Fred, Maguire, AWB.

I like AWB but I think Dalot's versatility (can play left back/right back) and superior technical ability is what EtH prefers. Not saying he's right but it is what it is.

bosskeano

unfortunately that's going to play a major factor however funds will have already been put in place for the summer window....how much is the real concern if the glazers dont make the sale in the next two weeks before the window opens

Waynne

@Waynne if you sell Martial you use those funds to maybe bring in Hojlund or find another young striker who you can work with. I just can't take another season of watching Martial walk around the pitch.
No i completely agree. Walking when he's fit though which is but once a blue moon. My preference is selling Martial for someone else and Hojlund is a good call. Whether that can get done or if there's any takers is another thing.
One thing I do hope for is that the recruitment staff hit the ground running. Hopefully we can wrap up 2 transfers in the opening week of the window and no FDJ please

kirk buttercup

No i completely agree. Walking when he's fit though which is but once a blue moon. My preference is selling Martial for someone else and Hojlund is a good call. Whether that can get done or if there's any takers is another thing.
One thing I do hope for is that the recruitment staff hit the ground running. Hopefully we can wrap up 2 transfers in the opening week of the window and no FDJ please
Yep agree . Wish we could go all out and Sign Kane , Hojlund and Sesko. We need options.

meamth

agree that the first position we need to address is the CF spot. It's honestly what cost us winning in the Europa league and what cost us being a title challenger in the premier league. Our defensive stats were pretty solid but the other end of the pitch is what hurt us.

CM upgrade is clearly the second spot we need to address. EtH seems married to the 4231 system especially with Bruno at the 10 so i don't think a traditional #8 is exactly what we need. We need more of a 6 who has strong defensive habits, can partner with Casemiro but has the skill set to help in the building phase. I don't think Mount fits that role b/c he's not a strong defensive presence and really isn't the type of midfielder that would be a guy you'd play thru in the building phase. Caicedo/Ugarte seems more to fit that role or even his partner Alex.

@meamth i think newcastle will reinforce for sure given they have money and made the CL. I don't think Osimhen would look at them as a viable option simply b/c this could easily be a one off and they haven't traditionally been in the top 4. Not too mention they have Wilson and Isaak already as their #9. They have a solid squad so who they bring in will be interesting in terms of immediate improvement.

Well, if we look at the trend with rich owners, they will eventually pick the most lucrative contract.

Let's say Newcastle coming for you with CL football and 500k per week contract vs United with 200k per week contract, which contract will you choose?

People are saying we can sign our targets, but I don't see we're winning the race for any of those signings if we don't have limitless money from our side. It's a difficult transfer window, no doubt about it.

UDontMessWith24

For me a midfield upgrade is just as important as striker. We're 6th in the league in final third entries iirc, but closer to the middle than the top numbers wise. All of the teams above us bar Chelsea get good g/a production from their wide players. Our wide attackers just don't get the same volume of final third touches (let alone touches in the box) because we don't have a balanced midfield that can win and retain the ball at a high rate. Sancho, Antony, Garnacho, Rashford, Martial all players that are at their best running at defenders and playing quick passes in and around the box, and it makes it so much easier to stop when it's infrequent.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
This thread encourages us to have our full muppet mode on, but I’d still like to keep it as realistic as possible:

IN:

Kane - 80m
Hojlund - 60m
Mount - 40m
Rabiot - 0
Frimpong - 30m
CB backup - 40m
GK (to compete w/ De Gea) - 30m

Total spending - 280m

OUT:

Maguire - 30m
Henderson - 25m
Mctominay - 35m
AWB - 30m
Jones - 0
Telles - 5m
Williams - 5m
van de Beek - 15m
Tuanzebe - 5m
Sancho (loan)
Martial (loan)

Total income - 150m

Net spending - 120m

De Gea (new GK)
Frimpomg (Dalot) Varane (new CB) Martinez (Lindelof) Shaw (Malacia)
Casemiro (Fred)
Bruno (Eriksen) Mount (Rabiot)
Antony (Diallo) Kane (Hojlund) Rashford (Garnacho)​

L_O_S_T

Mount would be a an underrated addition, we need someone like him to glue the team. And as a bonus increasing the odds of his bestie Rice signing as well!

Klean

I'll dream like everyone else:

In:

Mount
Kim Min Jae
Frimpong

Out:

Henderson
Wan Bissaka
Maguire
Fred (This one I wouldn't want to see)

The above can be done for roughly 15-20 mil net spend, in my opinion. Then it depends on a few other things (targeting around 80 mil outlay)

Scenario 1 - Move Rashford to CF permanently -> Bring in Neymar on loan -> Sign a GK & a Development Striker like Gift Orban
Scenario 2 - Sign Striker such as Ramos (70-80mil Outlay) -> Sign a Backup GK
Scenario 3 - Sign a Free Agent Striker (Benzema, Thuram) -> Sign Marquee GK

Total spend between 100-120 mil.