Sunday Supplement (2018 and Beyond)

automaticflare

We went to Chelsea and attacked and lost. If Jose had played like we did at Liverpool we would have got a point. Without Pogba we would have lost at Liverpool if we had attacked more. Sure, the players were dire too but the tactics were good. We had a few chances to score too.
Why is that Liverpool there for taking when we were without Pogba while this Liverpool that started the match against City is not there for the taking when they did not even have Countinhio in the side against City?

Because holt is a knobhead.

Custis is a knob too but nice to see him act so biligerantly towards holt’s stupid nonsense here.
Holt was probably equally as belligerent towards Custis Andy Carroll statement.

Newspaper reporters are arseholes basically.

Vilev

Calling us a rich man's stoke is ludicrous.
Well, it's on the nose, but he has a point. The point is that our style of play sucks and it's not ambitious. Hardly to argue with that.
We were regularly complete shit at Anfield under Fergie. So I don't know where you're getting that from
That is my point. You can play badly, you can lose. Sometimes it's Vidic rash reds, sometimes it's fatigue, injuries stuff. We all seen enough bad matches under Fergie. Everyone can have an off-day, no big deal.
However playing "badly" on purpose, employing negative tactics is whole different matter. Those 0-0 were not bad games or poor execution of manager's ideas by the team, like when we lost under Fergie. It was actually a good execution of the Mourinho's plan. That is what embarrassing. The manager wanted the team to play like that.
That i will never accept.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona

:lol:
That from Custis was remarkable tbh. He's entitled to that view but i dare say he's the only one who holds that view. The Liverpool supporting journo in the following video embarrassed herself too some years ago.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
That from Custis was remarkable tbh. He's entitled to that view but i dare say he's the only one who holds that view. The Liverpool supporting journo in the following video embarrassed herself too some years ago.

Is that Katie Hopkins? But still it's fecking funny.

Crimson King

Is that Katie Hopkins? But still it's fecking funny.
No, her name is Alyson Rudd and I think she writes for the Times. As you can tell by her ridiculous answer she's a big Liverpool fan, and is perhaps one of the most partisan football journalists you will ever hear.

She does a podcast with Gab Marcotti and she just oozes venom whenever the subject is something to do with United. It's not a great podcast compared to the others out there, but sometimes I tune in at work just to laugh at how ridiculous she is.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
No, her name is Alyson Rudd and I think she writes for the Times. As you can tell by her ridiculous answer she's a big Liverpool fan, and is perhaps one of the most partisan football journalists you will ever hear.

She does a podcast with Gab Marcotti and she just oozes venom whenever the subject is something to do with United. It's not a great podcast compared to the others out there, but sometimes I tune in at work just to laugh at how ridiculous she is.
Urgh, I know of that Podcast. Most nauseating thing you could listen to. That Marcotti doesn't know how to be a host. Has to get the last word in all of the time and just generally blabbers on and what he says goes. Also has irrational hate for Max Rushden.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
One of the reasons I stopped listening to the Times podcast was because of her insipid bias towards Liverpool.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
One of the reasons I stopped listening to the Times podcast was because of her insipid bias towards Liverpool.
Its eye opening how many of these journalists cannot keep their personal feelings out of their commentary.

Everyone has a team, sure, but as football journalist you need to be able to put your feelings to the side and speak in an unbiased way. Alyson Rudd falls on the wrong side of that line for me. I thought she was one of the few. However, after seeing how Alexis' transfer has been covered over the last couple of weeks, its clear she isn't now. ABUism is all pervasive.

Loon

:lol:
Wow, so many years lodged up Mourinho’s arse and, now he’s at United, they’ve turned on him. Even a dig at the absent Custis.

One fella Jeremy Cross unprompted could not wait to tell us that City are the greatest side the league has ever seen and will win the title for years to come. The whole thing reeks of begrudging acceptance of yesterday’s result.

Last edited:

Jaxa

What a disgrace of a show, they spent the whole time talking about the negatives of us and when getting on the topic of Liverpool they just had a bad day :lol: It's almost like we won the game yesterday or something, oh wait

The agenda is sickening and hilarious and we shat on there party by winning the game, sorry you bitter fcuks

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I just posted the same thing in the other thread , John cross actually ended by saying that Liverpool are more equipped to mount a title challenge next season because they have more attacking options

Djemba-Djemba

I just posted the same thing in the other thread , John cross actually ended by saying that Liverpool are more equipped to mount a title challenge next season because they have more attacking options
He's an absolute moron. One of the worst ones out there.

He's not anti Utd, he's just an idiot.

AdNani

It’s clear they are just going for the football they find more entertaining, wouldn’t say it’s a massive agenda, Mourinhos style of play doesn’t sit well with a lot of people.

JamesO

Supports
Liverpool
I think you've got to accept that you will never get a huge amount of praise for winning games in the manner such as yesterday.

Yes there are many different ways to approach a game but considering that you're Manchester United with your history, given the huge outlay on players under Jose, and the depth you have in your squad, the style and manner of play should be easier on the eye than it currently is.

It's not a bias thing with most of the reporters, it just simply boils down to what is more pleasing and exciting to watch.

Reactions: Kag

Red_Aaron

its nothing to do with the football and everything to do with the fact that slagging united gets more views/clicks/posts than praising them does.
i doubt half these 'journos' believe half the shite they spout tbh

cyberman

It’s clear they are just going for the football they find more entertaining, wouldn’t say it’s a massive agenda, Mourinhos style of play doesn’t sit well with a lot of people.
And the made up reports of Jose wanting to leave in the summer? Wanting to sell Pogba? Quoting unnamed sources as stating that the third season syndrome has come early?
These last 18 months are the first time I've ever seen such an extended attack on his style of play. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.
You would think we were going out every week with ten behind the ball listening to this lot. This Liverpool off day has extended Klopps record to four where a Liverpool player has failed to score against us from open play but I've get to see this discussed anywhere.
It's doing yesterday's game a disservice

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I am not sure why I watched today's show.

It was clear the panel had been winding themselves up to slag of United. As we beat Liverpool, which they clearly didn't expect, they had to find a way to say the same stuff in a different way. :rolleyes:

Some real gems today. They even had to go back to the first half against Palace to find things to throw at us. :lol:

And the made up reports of Jose wanting to leave in the summer? Wanting to sell Pogba? Quoting unnamed sources as stating that the third season syndrome has come early?
These last 18 months are the first time I've ever seen such an extended attack on his style of play. It's beyond ridiculous at this point.
You would think we were going out every week with ten behind the ball listening to this lot. This Liverpool off day has extended Klopps record to four where a Liverpool player has failed to score against us from open play but I've get to see this discussed anywhere.
It's doing yesterday's game a disservice
The Liverpool off day stuff had me rolling. If this was just an off day how come Liverpool are behind us in the top six mini league as well as the actual league table? So many excuses for their preconceived ideas.

Zoo

I think you've got to accept that you will never get a huge amount of praise for winning games in the manner such as yesterday.

Yes there are many different ways to approach a game but considering that you're Manchester United with your history, given the huge outlay on players under Jose, and the depth you have in your squad, the style and manner of play should be easier on the eye than it currently is.

It's not a bias thing with most of the reporters, it just simply boils down to what is more pleasing and exciting to watch.
The first half was exciting and we probably should have gone in at halftime having scored 3 goals, and the Mata chance was the best piece of football in the game despite what Klopp claims. We simply managed the game in the second half.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

What manner really? We effectively exploited your defense and scored two goals whilst not letting your attacking players do anything. It's Liverpool fans who need to be worried that they got outclassed by a team with a 20yr old rookie in team and having two thirty plus players as fullbacks.

montpelier

I don't necessarily disagree with this & am probably about to post a slightly ridiculous riposte. But.. the opposition have very quick attackers & like to get forward in numbers. What are we supposed to do? Leave 3 or 4 up on halfway just for the sake of it? ''You carry on lads, we'll wait for our turn to play''

Another good idea against lightning quick forwards - let's push to halfway & leave lots of space behind for them to run into. We might even catch one offside occasionally although they will be making multiple runs which won't attract a flag because of non-involvement. (Arsenal used to be brilliant at this)

I don't now about different ways to play style-wise, I can maybe think of 3-4 rough categories but defending vs. extreme pace will tend to dictate whereabouts the defence should sit to give itself the best chance & it isn't usually up near the halfway line is it?

JamesO

Supports
Liverpool
What manner really? We effectively exploited your defense and scored two goals whilst not letting your attacking players do anything. It's Liverpool fans who need to be worried that they got outclassed by a team with a 20yr old rookie in team and having two thirty plus players as fullbacks.
I agree that Jose done his homework and successully exploited Lovren and Alexander-Arnold, and yeah you managed to do enough to see it out 2nd half by always getting a body in the way when needed.

For me when I refer to the manner of it, I mean the way it had the feel of a smash and grab to it. I understand that to the majority of United fans it was apparently comfortable, but I don't buy it given how camped in your half you were at times 2nd half, with Jose clearly signalling how he wanted you to defend higher up.

Did you deserve to win? Yeah, just about. You got your goals and limited us to hardly anything.

On McTominay, it was a blessing in disguise for you that Pogba got injured as his tendency to dwell on the ball and lack of defensive positioning may well have cost you yesterday. McTominay done the job asked of him.

Finally on Liverpool. I'm not worried as you're the 1 team that sets itself up in a way that we struggle against. We need more in midfield which for me was the problem yesterday attacking wise. Hopefully Keita will go some way to helping fix that problem.

TheReligion

Abusive

Sorry that's nonsense. Yesterday was not a bus parking exercise. Let's have it right.

First half United carved Liverpool up numerous times and should have been 3-0 up.

Second half United did sit deep and allow Liverpool to dominate possession but given the fact Liverpool play counter attacking football and love nicking the ball high up the pitch common sense dictated that playing them this way, when protecting a two goal lead, was sensible and effective.

I'll happily call a spade a spade but yesterday the best team won. No questions.

Kag

Sam Wallace makes a fair point, to be fair. After the elation of it all, a mistake to level the match at 2-2 and the groupthink changes markedly. "Why didn't we attack more to make it three?"

The Cross twins are a little simple - there's a reason they don't write for the Telegraph like Wallace. But I can definitely get on board with the opinion that while we won the battle, 32% possession at home against our rivals probably isn't going to cut it long term (especially in games we don't win).

Winning games in the manner we did is fine when winning. It's a justifiable means to an end. But when we don't it's going to attract criticism. And that's got nothing to do with anti-United bias. Chelsea were taken apart viciously for similar reasons as recently as last week. They sat back and lost. That's a lose-lose.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I agree that Jose done his homework and successully exploited Lovren and Alexander-Arnold, and yeah you managed to do enough to see it out 2nd half by always getting a body in the way when needed.

For me when I refer to the manner of it, I mean the way it had the feel of a smash and grab to it. I understand that to the majority of United fans it was apparently comfortable, but I don't buy it given how camped in your half you were at times 2nd half, with Jose clearly signalling how he wanted you to defend higher up.

Did you deserve to win? Yeah, just about. You got your goals and limited us to hardly anything.

On McTominay, it was a blessing in disguise for you that Pogba got injured as his tendency to dwell on the ball and lack of defensive positioning may well have cost you yesterday. McTominay done the job asked of him.

Finally on Liverpool. I'm not worried as you're the 1 team that sets itself up in a way that we struggle against. We need more in midfield which for me was the problem yesterday attacking wise. Hopefully Keita will go some way to helping fix that problem.
Think you really need to look up the meaning of smash and grab.

Smash and grab is what we did at Anfield when OShea scored the winner. Yesterday's match was anything but.

TheReligion

Abusive

You need to take the blinkers off..

You weren't limited to hardly anything. You were limited to nothing. A few of my neutral friends commented that you could play another 90 and Liverpool still wouldn't score. DDG didn't have a save to make.

Also not sure how you can say United just about deserved to win given you mustered nothing on goal bar the Bailly freak OG.

cyberman

Sam Wallace makes a fair point, to be fair. After the elation of it all, a mistake to level the match at 2-2 and the groupthink changes markedly. "Why didn't we attack more to make it three?"

The Cross twins are a little simple - there's a reason they don't write for the Telegraph like Wallace. But I can definitely get on board with the opinion that while we won the battle, 32% possession at home against our rivals probably isn't going to cut it long term (especially in games we don't win).

Winning games in the manner we did is fine when winning. It's a justifiable means to an end. But when we don't it's going to attract criticism. And that's got nothing to do with anti-United bias. Chelsea were taken apart viciously for similar reasons as recently as last week. They sat back and lost. That's a lose-lose.
But we did win though. That argument could be used for any approach we could have taken.
We've lost at home to one side in two years. What ifs doesn't work against stats like that.

Litch

Just watched it and the things getting worse. The thing is full of contradictions. The guy said Liverpool are the best equipped to push city yet then said they can't keep their best players. Side issue but not sure they dealt with the West Ham thing well either. Not sure why they thought that was ok cause it's West Ham but what right have they got over say West Brom or Southampton?

Bojan11

What are you going on about? Did we sit back at 0-0? No we sat back at 2-0, Mourinho was pushing the team forward in the second half. It’s natural that we’d let them have the ball and hit them on the counter. They did nothing with the ball.

Chelsea were pathetic last week. Please don’t compare our performance to them.

JamesO

Supports
Liverpool
I don't necessarily disagree with this & am probably about to post a slightly ridiculous riposte. But.. the opposition have very quick attackers & like to get forward in numbers. What are we supposed to do? Leave 3 or 4 up on halfway just for the sake of it? ''You carry on lads, we'll wait for our turn to play''

Another good idea against lightning quick forwards - let's push to halfway & leave lots of space behind for them to run into. We might even catch one offside occasionally although they will be making multiple runs which won't attract a flag because of non-involvement. (Arsenal used to be brilliant at this)

I don't now about different ways to play style-wise, I can maybe think of 3-4 rough categories but defending vs. extreme pace will tend to dictate whereabouts the defence should sit to give itself the best chance & it isn't usually up near the halfway line is it?
That's fair enough, and you're right that playing an open game would've been stupid on your part cos of the risk attached to it. I think you struggle to find the perfect balance that's all.

Looking at yesterday I think you went a little too defensive. Maybe that's doing us a disservice as we did keep you penned back at times but it does ask for trouble to defend so much no matter how good you are at it.

To @TheReligion and @KM you're right we could've played for ages and not scored but similarly you created hardly anything either, hence why you just about deserved to win.

If I wanted to put my blinkers on I'd go on a massive rant about red cards and pens but I'm not here for any of that crap.

Red00012

Smash and grab 2 goals in the 1st half and nearly adding a 3rd ????

TheReligion

Abusive

Are you really trying to compare United yesterday to Chelsea against City? A game where they had zero shots on goal over 90 minutes?

Kag

But we did win though.
We did. We were great first half, the attitude was phenomenal all game and Mourinho got it spot on.

But I'm not going to pretend as if playing in that manner is going to win all of the time. If there are games in which we sit back, cede possession (especially at home), and lose then we are going to be criticised. That's just the way it is - and I agree with @JamesO when he says our history, spend and depth of personnel will raise the question: Why aren't United doing the dominating?

That's not my opinion of yesterday, before any resident super fan takes a paddy, but a realistic picture of the way other supporters, media and even some of our own supporters will begin to think. Believe me, had Liverpool equalised yesterday this place would be a shitshow. Half of Old Trafford booed the (correct) Rashford substitution for Fellaini. So let's not pretend as if our manner of play is one that won't attract criticism, because it will.

Again, I'll stress that we got it right yesterday and any criticism of yesterday's game is unfair.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
The amazing thing is that all these comments from the media come at the end of a week they spent fawning over Juve(rightly so). Juve are a huge club with the best players in serie a but they always put winning before style

Fully Fledged

Just watched it and the things getting worse. The thing is full of contradictions. The guy said Liverpool are the best equipped to push city yet then said they can't keep their best players. Side issue but not sure they dealt with the West Ham thing well either. Not sure why they thought that was ok cause it's West Ham but what right have they got over say West Brom or Southampton?
They are mainly West Ham fans that's why. One of their brothers took his son to the match yesterday. You only have to look back to when they attacked our team bus it was Man Utd's fault for turning up so late.

TheReligion

Abusive
:D

That's fair enough, and you're right that playing an open game would've been stupid on your part cos of the risk attached to it. I think you struggle to find the perfect balance that's all.

Looking at yesterday I think you went a little too defensive. Maybe that's doing us a disservice as we did keep you penned back at times but it does ask for trouble to defend so much no matter how good you are at it.

To @TheReligion and @KM you're right we could've played for ages and not scored but similarly you created hardly anything either, hence why you just about deserved to win.

If I wanted to put my blinkers on I'd go on a massive rant about red cards and pens but I'm not here for any of that crap.
We should have been 3 goals up at half time and bossed the first half. I don't think you'll want to but I'd watch the match again minus the emotion attached. Second half was a different story and United played very well as a unit to see the game out. That said, it wasn't like we were getting peppered with shots and DDG had to save the day, we simply gave up possession in the middle of the park in order to keep our shape.

We created 2 goals and should have had 3. You created nothing at all. Not sure how that's just about deserving to win but whatever.

I won't mention the Lovren red card for elbowing McTominay. Those decisions are swings and roundabouts.