Sunday Supplement (2018 and Beyond)

AR87

That's where people twist negative to suit an agenda, there's nothing negative about great counter attacking, negative is when you simply set up to defend and have no counter attacking scheme, you just hope someone will pull a Rabbit out of the hat, we were set up the same way we were against Arsenal in those latter years, let them have the tippy tappy possession and kill them on the counter, that's not negative.
It's exactly what Mourinho set us up to do against Liverpool yesterday and what he setup his Real Madrid team to do with great success.

Devil may care

It's exactly what Mourinho set us up to do against Liverpool yesterday and what he setup his Real Madrid team to do with great success.
We had no counter attacking scheme yesterday, we just lumped the ball up to Lukaku and hoped he'd bully Lovren, under Fergie we swept forward as a unit when we countered, it's nothing like what we are seeing right now.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
We had no counter attacking scheme yesterday, we just lumped the ball up to Lukaku and hoped he'd bully Lovren, under Fergie we swept forward as a unit when we countered, it's nothing like what we are seeing right now.
And kept their attacking trio upfront quiet the whole game. Salahs first chance was the last kick of the game. How many 1-0 wins againt Liverpool did we have under Fergie. Your title checks out.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
We had in their prime fullbacks then, an in his prime Ronaldo going back, as you say we had Nani. At the moment we have two elderly fullbacks out wide an tortoise slow Mata, Martial injured. Rooney was in his pomp. This side still needs surgery. You cannot expect that sort of play when some of the parts aren't up to it. Young did a great job yesterday and can bring some attacking threat, but unless Valencia decides to shoot, he offers nothing going forward.

Foxbatt

And kept their attacking trio upfront quiet the whole game. Salahs first chance was the last kick of the game. How many 1-0 wins againt Liverpool did we have under Fergie. Your title checks out.
How can we forge the O'Shea goal in the dying minuted while we defended the whole game and Liverpool played us off the park.

Devil may care

We defended well, I never said otherwise, and I'm fine with my title as I've never been interested in pretending everything is great just because results are good.

Fridge chutney

I think the media narratives are missing an important component. We are beginning to score goals when we need to.

We went down against Palace and Chelsea and we scored the requisite goals to win.

Our game plan was almost perfectly executed against Liverpool. We were 2-0 up, dominating the game, and then sat back. We play a must-win midweek so this is the type of game management needed in order to challenge on all fronts. We won't necessarily challenge this year, but Mourinho is building the right mentality for next year.

We are demonstrating clear and marked progress under Mourinho. For what it's worth, I think Liverpool and City (obviously) have also progressed. Next year will be interesting.

Hughie77

Custis, the guy LVG called fat man, don' watch it so much bollocks on it, same as some pundits on Sky, Souness total ass ole at times, he's a out dated pundit, the games moved on man.

C'est Moi Cantona

In gerneral this programme is a joke, full of so called journos who rarely get anything right, but like to come across as ever so important.

Having said that a few points were valid imo, this style is unsustainable long term, and it's naive to think we'll ever play the sort of football we want to see under Jose, or that he'll stick around that much longer, but clearly he is going to leave the squad, and club in far better place than when he arrived, but I just hope we already eying up our next manager from afar.

MAME DIOUF 32

In gerneral this programme is a joke, full of so called journos who rarely get anything right, but like to come across as ever so important.
I don't know where I get this view from, but I always feel like they think they're this vital, integral part of the sport. In reality most are terrible.

C'est Moi Cantona

I don't know where I get this view from, but I always feel like they think they're this vital, integral part of the sport. In reality most are terrible.
They're not needed, but some are ok, & have some sort of knowledge of what's going on, Ducker, and Matt Law are ok for example, but some know very little, yet clearly take themselves so seriously you'd think they were about to announce the meaning of life.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
The ones that criticise match tactics and state the obvious systems a manager should be doing instead feck me off. “You know, they have Player A and Player B sitting on the bench, who would perfectly fit an aggressive 442 pressing system that definitely would have won this game instead of this boring, defensive style of play”. feck off mate, you’re a journo for a reason. Just report on the game, don’t try and make it seem you’re the be all and end all of the strategy of football. Custis does this alot, and there’s a woman around alot now called Mina Rzouki who does it too. I love hearing behind the scenes insight into football where decent sources give good stories, stick to those.

Dave1812

And what, exactly, does it say about playing the opposite way...and winning nothing? Klopp's flaws & record should be the story today.
My point is Mourinho has been made manager and given hundreds of millions to win the Premier League and up to now he has not done that and the football is poor and if the same thing is happening in a years time he will be under a lot of pressure. As for Klopp yes he has flaws but he also has a smaller budget.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
On Sunday's show, Neil Ashton will be joined by Martin Samuel, Gab Marcotti and Guillem Balague.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I used to like this show but can't watch it anymore.

Every week most of them disappear further up their own arses.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Interesting panel. Better than some of the joyless drones who sometimes show up.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Ollie Holt waving the flag for Sant Pep again today. :lol:

OldSchoolManc

Ollie Holt waving the flag for Sant Pep again today. :lol:
Oliver Holt thinks you should get right up behind Pep and maybe get in there.
He has surely gone so far up Pep, that he can’t find his way back out. It’s like he’s been amalgamated.

Reactions: Jippy

Jacko21

It's become an utter parody.
Tribalism amongst football writers is at an all time high. Most feel the need to pick a side and stick to it.

Heaven forbid Mourinho should win a major honour with Manchester United, it'll be depicted as the day football died. The most loathed club in the land enjoying success with the most loathed manager. Too unpalatable for some.

cyberman

I know we have to beat City but its a shame we're capped at 89 points for the season which could have been possible with our easy run in. Getting to 90 would put certain pundits in a difficult position.
Pep and City have been excellent but Utd possibly ending up with a good as 90 point season wouldn't be embarrassing at all.
He can be disappointed with certain levels of performances but not the points total itself.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I know we have to beat City but its a shame we're capped at 89 points for the season which could have been possible with our easy run in. Getting to 90 would put certain pundits in a difficult position.
Pep and City have been excellent but Utd possibly ending up with a good as 90 point season wouldn't be embarrassing at all.
He can be disappointed with certain levels of performances but not the points total itself.
Anything above 80 is good. 85+ and we've had a really good season.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Opinion is increasingly being dressed up as fact these days - for example, in a mainstream article recently, I read this:
Mourinho, who regularly uses Shaw as a scapegoat
Now, even if you agree with the writer, no-one except Mourinho actually knows whether it is true (or false). There are simply too many columnists, too many talking heads given public platforms for their biases and their hackneyed views.

TinFoil

Holt writes for the daily mail doesn't he ?

I'd love us to ban him and the paper from press conferences.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Can't stand Holt's voice.
In general though, Mourinho finishing 16points behind Pep is a bit embarrassing.
If in September, someone saiid we'd be this far behind, people would have said you were having a laugh.
Make no mistake, it will hurt Mourinho's ego.

Castia

Custis picked Bailly (10 apps) and Stones (16 apps) in his team of the year. A football journo.....picked those 2 players in his team of the year. He then went on to say Aguero is the greatest foreign player in PL history which is debatable to say the least.

Holt is a proper ABU always has been, the feckers from Stockport so its not surprising.

cyberman

Otamendi has to be in there, funnily enough I would have Smalling alongside him.

R o o K

You know, these pundits don't really piss me off as much as the fact that some fans will take these comments and twist them when making a case against Mourinho. And why should only Mourinho be embarrassed, what about the players. What about the teams like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool. Have they not spend millions this year, did they use peanuts to reinforce their squads?

The truth of the matter is that Mourinho sells. Check the Daily Mail, or even the BBC, when there is an article about Liverpool or any other team or manager, you only get 50 or 60 responses. When Mourinho appears in an article, all hell breaks loose.

Peanut Butter

Custis picked Bailly (10 apps) and Stones (16 apps) in his team of the year. A football journo.....picked those 2 players in his team of the year. He then went on to say Aguero is the greatest foreign player in PL history which is debatable to say the least.

Holt is a proper ABU always has been, the feckers from Stockport so its not surprising.
Holt is awful, clearly hates Utd.

Sunday Supplement is a terrible program and feels incredibly dated whenever I watch it.

Lentwood

What classes as ‘high-brow’ journalism now is an outright insult to the intelligence of every football fan in the country

I could sit down my local, pick any 5 random City fans, any 5 random neutrals and any 5 random Utd fans and have a far more balanced conversation about football than these cretins can manage!

I actually think they are so far up their own arses they actually only see the match-going fan as a pie-eating, Strongbow-swilling moron who can only just about follow their “Pep good, Jose bad” narrative. Insulting program

Hughie77

Reasons not to watch it along with other programmes .. MOTD is one ,I record it and fast forward the pundits. Last night I watched it live.. and Murphy. Called our 2 goals lucky. And Liverpool wernt?.. this is the total bollocks they talk on these shows.. to many people getting paid to talk crap..

TinFoil

Skip Bayless style punditry seems to have crept into English football.

NikSab

Anthony Martial's #1 fan
The only thing embarrassing about the piece is Holt himself.

Canagel

Holt is a disgrace. If Mourinho should be embarrassed what about the other 18 PL sides? Or more specifically the other top 4 teams? Chelsea are the PL champions and have put up one of the weakest title defences but no-one says anything about that.

Peanut Butter

A lot of our journos love sticking the knife into Jose and Utd because they watched us dominate domestic football for so long and a lot of these guys are London based.

I always wonder who they support. Custis is Newcastle as he openly talks about it. What about the others? Who does that fat beardy cnut with the awful hair support?

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I always wonder who they support. Custis is Newcastle as he openly talks about it. What about the others? Who does that fat beardy cnut with the awful hair support?
He - Martin Samuels - supports West Ham; often when he’s on then there’s some West Ham drama going on where he can add something to the discussion. Ashton (the host) supports Palace; Alison Rudd supports Liverpool (as anyone who has listened to her speak about football for more than a second will know); Holt claims to support a smaller club (I think Stockport?) but he does the most tremendous impression of a City supporter you’ll hear this side of Summerbee. Cross is the resident Arsenal hack, I imagine he’s a supporter but maybe he just defends them because his work is based on them, similar to Neil Custis with us recently. There’s a Chelsea one as well, Matt Law I think. Can’t remember a true United supporting-hack (Custis and his brother support Newcastle as you say), but there are a couple like Jon Richardson and the bloke who wrote Sir Alex’s autobiography that are associated with us in some way, but whether they are fans I don’t know.