Sunday Times: Mbappe wants to leave PSG at the end of the season

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
No one will buy him because no one has the money. Barcelona can't, they're past bankruptcy, Real can't, Bayern won't shell out 180 million, Liverpool won't, we won't, City won't.

Also, Haaland's contract is cheaper, much, much, much cheaper.

wolvored

Most foreign players look at Madrid and Barca as the holy grail. I cant see us being in the running unless we win the league. Mbappe will soon be competing with Haaland as best player on the planet once Ronaldo and Messi pack in. He wont come to Utd if we are hovering around 3rd-7th every season. The only thing we can offer is probably the highest salary.

DanClancy

Will he run down his contract? Will Neymar run down his contract?

Can see Mbappe going to Real for free where would Neymar go back to Barca?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I've not read all through this thread, so someone else might have already mentioned it, but surely, whoever spends big money on Mbappe would be out of the race for Haaland, or even Sancho come to that..?

DanClancy

Reckon there's only club who'd be able to afford Mbappe/Neymar this summer and I don't see either having an interest with joining City especially given they'll both have a year left on their contracts.

RedDevilzFox

He seems great but killing it in french league doesn't make you worth what it'll cost to get him. There are cheaper and arguably better options (Haaland) out there.

Eleven-Eighteen

Most foreign players look at Madrid and Barca as the holy grail. I cant see us being in the running unless we win the league. Mbappe will soon be competing with Haaland as best player on the planet once Ronaldo and Messi pack in. He wont come to Utd if we are hovering around 3rd-7th every season. The only thing we can offer is probably the highest salary.
With the current state of the PL, i wouldn't be surprised if players change their minds about Real/ Barca. Those two haven't been this weak in as long as i can remember

mu4c_20le

Seemed destined for Madrid with Zidane at the helm but somehow it didn't materialize, so who knows.

dinostar77

It wouldnt suprise my if Perez made this transfer happen somehow. Even if it was a loan with obligation to buy. That way giving Madrid breathing space to get the money to pay PSG. Though i wouldnt be suprised to see Mbappe stay and sign a new deal if PSG can land Messi.

Mainoldo

Mbappe over Haaland everyday of the week. Let Haaland go Madrid or City.

We’ve got enough basic/boring ballers. Haaland 7. No thanks.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Will he run down his contract? Will Neymar run down his contract?

Can see Mbappe going to Real for free where would Neymar go back to Barca?
With Barca's problems I reckon Neymar is going to stay at PSG. One more contract there, then he might finish his career there or go back to Brazil for a year or two.

Even Mbappe is no longer a certainty to leave like he was 12 months ago. I think it's pretty much even chances of his next contract being at PSG or Real, with a slight chance of City.

OhGee

He seems great but killing it in french league doesn't make you worth what it'll cost to get him. There are cheaper and arguably better options (Haaland) out there.
Most people forget that Haaland comes with a side order of obnoxious fat...

Cloud7

If it came down to a choice between the two, I would definitely opt for Mbappe if we could get him rather than Haaland.

Kyonn

It wouldnt suprise my if Perez made this transfer happen somehow. Even if it was a loan with obligation to buy. That way giving Madrid breathing space to get the money to pay PSG. Though i wouldnt be suprised to see Mbappe stay and sign a new deal if PSG can land Messi.

How can it be a loan with obligation? He only has a season left on his deal. He would be a free agent after the loan.

Red00012

If it came down to a choice between the two, I would definitely opt for Mbappe if we could get him rather than Haaland.
I’d go Haaland he’s just an out and out goalscorer a proper CF

dinostar77

How can it be a loan with obligation? He only has a season left on his deal. He would be a free agent after the loan.
If for example the loan with obligation to buy was done this summer then thats the deal done. Madrid are locked in. They have to pay the fee regardless of pogba being a free agent in summer of 2022 as they signed a deal with utd in summer of 2021. Hope that makes sense.

Kyonn

If for example the loan with obligation to buy was done this summer then thats the deal done. Madrid are locked in. They have to pay the fee regardless of pogba being a free agent in summer of 2022 as they signed a deal with utd in summer of 2021. Hope that makes sense.
No it doesn't. The moment he becomes a free agent he can sign with anyone no matter what agreement has happened between the two teams. His registration becomes his own.

slyadams

Just like Haaland, I don't see us being remotely close to Mbappe. Like it or not, we just don't make these kinds of signings.

passing-wind

Just like Haaland, I don't see us being remotely close to Mbappe. Like it or not, we just don't make these kinds of signings.
I disagree Haaland plays for Dortmund hardly poaching a top prospect from Europe's elite.

Mbappe for me is questionable not in terms of possibility but rather his perceived desire to play in Spain. If he's a huge admirer of Ronaldo he could emulate his career going to Madrid but hopefully he paid attention to R7 when he was here. Mbappe is a far bigger talent compared to Haaland has already achieved what many players fail to accomplish in their full careers. He's certainly the stand out player of those within his age range.

dinostar77

No it doesn't. The moment he becomes a free agent he can sign with anyone no matter what agreement has happened between the two teams. His registration becomes his own.
Your missing the point. He couldnt become a free agent. A loan with obligation to buy is a transfer that is just delayed on the books for finance reasons. As soon as a loan with obligation to buy is done that player has in effect signed for the other club and therefore there is no becoming a free agent. Its appeared in football to allow clubs to spread out the financial payments and not have to front load the transfer. Like buying a sofa and not having to make a payment for 12 months. You have still bought the sofa.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Your missing the point. He couldnt become a free agent. A loan with obligation to buy is a transfer that is just delayed on the books for finance reasons. As soon as a loan with obligation to buy is done that player has in effect signed for the other club and therefore there is no becoming a free agent. Its appeared in football to allow clubs to spread out the financial payments and not have to front load the transfer. Like buying a sofa and not having to make a payment for 12 months. You have still bought the sofa.
That doesn't really make sense man. The player is bound by the time duration of the contract. There is no loan with obligation to buy at the end of the loan if the end of the loan coincides with the end of the initial contract. The player becomes free to sign 6 months before the end of his contract.

Pep's Suit

With Barca's problems I reckon Neymar is going to stay at PSG. One more contract there, then he might finish his career there or go back to Brazil for a year or two.

Even Mbappe is no longer a certainty to leave like he was 12 months ago. I think it's pretty much even chances of his next contract being at PSG or Real, with a slight chance of City.
I agree. Can see Neynar sign extension until '24 or '25 and Mbappe 1+1 or so. He's still only 22. Don't think they leave this summer.

marf

That doesn't really make sense man. The player is bound by the time duration of the contract. There is no loan with obligation to buy at the end of the loan if the end of the loan coincides with the end of the initial contract. The player becomes free to sign 6 months before the end of his contract.
I would guess that if you’re agreeing on a obligation to buy the buying club would negotiate a contract with the player straight away (not when the obligation kicks in). Otherwise clubs would always be able to back out of obligation to buy after the loan ended stating that they couldn’t agree terms with the player.
Since the player then are bound to the contract with the buying club he can’t sign for someone else after 6 months as that would be breach of contract.

Rocknrolla69er

While I think we have an effective lw in Rashford, we don't have an effective 20 plus a season striker who does it consistently , therefore for me Haaland is a better option for the team.

Imagine been overloaded with 3 LW's in Rashford , Mbappe and Martial

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I get that there’s a lot of hype at the moment around Haaland and for good reason but come on Mbappe is one of the most exciting players in the world. He would be an incredible signing!

Judas

Open to offers
I think he'll sign a new contract if Real can't find the money needed under their sofa, which would be sad in many ways, its a total waste. But rather he's there than at a rival.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
A loan with an obligation to buy is a binding contract between both clubs, but the player himself isn't held to it. If Real and Mbappe wanted to place nice they would still honour the agreement, but if they wanted to look after themselves Mbappe just wouldn't sign a contract with Real until after his current one is expired. Once it's expired he's no longer a PSG employee and any previous obligation to buy that they had agreed with another club means nothing. Mbappe and Real would then probably split the difference of whatever the transfer fee would have been.

The obvious way of getting around it though is that Mbappe would sign a new 2 year deal with PSG first, and that way he would still have 12 months left once that loan season is finished. That way he gets to Real 12 months earlier than just waiting for his contract to expire, Real get him 12 months earlier, and PSG get a decent transfer fee (albeit postponed 12 months). Everyone wins.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
While I think we have an effective lw in Rashford, we don't have an effective 20 plus a season striker who does it consistently , therefore for me Haaland is a better option for the team.

Imagine been overloaded with 3 LW's in Rashford , Mbappe and Martial
Doesn’t he predominantly play on the right for PSG and France?

Saddy

I would think our 2 "French Bargaining Chips" of Pogba and Martial would give us a chance for Mbappe in a player plus cash deal leaving plenty of room in the wages pot for him.

DavelinaJolie

Once you get past the fantasy football of "Martial + £xmillion" it just seems so incredibly unlikely.