Sunday Times: Mbappe wants to leave PSG at the end of the season

Raredaredevil

No one will buy him because no one has the money. Barcelona can't, they're past bankruptcy, Real can't, Bayern won't shell out 180 million, Liverpool won't, we won't, City won't.

Also, Haaland's contract is cheaper, much, much, much cheaper.
Why won't City buy him? Liverpool and Barcelona don't have the money. Bayern is too sensible to fork out too much money but I'd argue that if Real Madrid really wants a player, they will always find a way to make it happen. I think realistically, only City or us can afford him but knowing City, they won't go into a bidding war as their club is too well run to overpay a player salary and transfer fee.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Reckon its all up in the air with him right now. Zidane is looking like he'll be gone at the end of the season, Madrid and Barca are financially screwed right now. that they won't be able to afford his wages. It wouldn't surprise me if he signs a new contract with PSG.

Judas

Open to offers
To be fair if he is/was interested in going to bloody Liverpool after a couple of good years, a successful season for us there's no reason as to why he wouldn't entertain the idea. It's not a transfer I can see happening at all, but just saying.

SER19

To be fair if he is/was interested in going to bloody Liverpool after a couple of good years, a successful season for us there's no reason as to why he wouldn't entertain the idea. It's not a transfer I can see happening at all, but just saying.
The only way it's even kind of feasible is pogba going the other way. But yeah I can't see it happening either the market just isn't right for thesee types of big deals at the moment.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Mbappe ticks all the right boxes for United. He's young, he's mega talented, he's versatile and he covers all the attacking positions we need (RW and STK). Many fans would be happy with just him and maybe a CB as our summer signings. Meanwhile Woodward would love the exposure Mbappe's signing will bring on United. He'll also be able to either add Pogba in the deal or persuade Pogba to stay because of Mbappe.

Many keep mentioning Haaland whose an excellent player. Unfortunately his father is a cnut and his agent is a bigger cnut. I very much doubt that he'll sign with us.

Pep's Suit

Why won't City buy him? Liverpool and Barcelona don't have the money. Bayern is too sensible to fork out too much money but I'd argue that if Real Madrid really wants a player, they will always find a way to make it happen. I think realistically, only City or us can afford him but knowing City, they won't go into a bidding war as their club is too well run to overpay a player salary and transfer fee.
Don't remember City linked with Mbappe since his last Monaco season. I think Pep/Txiki's idea is Messi > Haaland > Lautaro > Joao Felix > someone relatively 'unknown' between 20-23 years old who's ready to make another step (Darwin Nunez etc.). And like I said before, I think Mbappe will sign another extension anyway and leave after World Cup '22.

cyberman

Madrid are in as big of a financial hole as Barca are.
So win the league this year, buy Sancho and dominate the league and or Europe so we sign Mbappe on a free and Halaand for his 80m clause in 1 summer.
Aim for the stars and youll hit the moon or something..

Renegade

I refuse to label as the best of the rest untill he leaves Paris. Surely he doesn’t sign a new long term contract.

Offsideagain

It must be boring for the likes of Mbappe and Neymar only having two or three competitive league matches per season. Doesn’t actually test them. This is why I will always put Ronaldo above Messi because he’s done it in more than one league and also International competition too. City won’t pay £180m plus huge wages as it will upset the rest of them. They may buy him for a published £80m with the rest supplied by one of the many companies owned by the Sheik. PSG owners are no fans of the UAE so perhaps that would stop any deal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We'd all say it'd be bonkers to sign a new deal, but if that new deal hypes him up 100k a week, and makes him look "Loyal" without having to uproot himself.
Real and Barcelona surely can't afford the fee that'd be miles above 100m either.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I would guess that if you’re agreeing on a obligation to buy the buying club would negotiate a contract with the player straight away (not when the obligation kicks in). Otherwise clubs would always be able to back out of obligation to buy after the loan ended stating that they couldn’t agree terms with the player.
Since the player then are bound to the contract with the buying club he can’t sign for someone else after 6 months as that would be breach of contract.
Yes, but if it's his last year, the obligation to buy phase would be at the end of said season, when the player's original contract would have become null and void by virtue of the time duration of the original contract having expired. There's no more obligation to buy if the original contract has ended. The clubs don't buy the players themselves but rather the rights to their contractual obligations.

Fridge chutney

I think realistically, only City or us can afford him but knowing City, they won't go into a bidding war as their club is too well run to overpay a player salary and transfer fee.
Yeah, they only had to break the record for biggest financial losses in world football (a record they still own) as well as double-salary their players (above and below board) and a host of other extremely shady illegal accounting to get the title of "well-run club".

Covid has helped them as the empty seats are like home fans.

Coops73

Yeah, they only had to break the record for biggest financial losses in world football (a record they still own) as well as double-salary their players (above and below board) and a host of other extremely shady illegal accounting to get the title of "well-run club".

Covid has helped them as the empty seats are like home fans.
Well said

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
He becomes a free agent at the end of the calendar year 2021.

In normal times, he would have been sold 300 millions next summer, but likely to be sold 100/150m

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
He becomes a free agent at the end of the calendar year 2021.

In normal times, he would have been sold 300 millions next summer, but likely to be sold 100/150m
Absolutely no one will pay that if he can be signed for free a couple of months later.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Absolutely no one will pay that if he can be signed for free a couple of months later.
I am talking in terms of valuation. When I say 100 or 150, not necessarily in cash.

Possible if a club wants to secure him in 2021 next summer without facing any competition

Of course, he can leave in 2022 but the competition would be tougher: say 4-5 clubs may attract him

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
I am talking in terms of valuation. When I say 100 or 150, not necessarily in cash.

Possible if a club wants to secure him in 2021 next summer without facing any competition

Of course, he can leave in 2022 but the competition would be tougher: say 4-5 clubs may attract him
It would probably make more sense for Mbappe to sign somewhere next Jan to get that huge signing on fee!

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I don't think he will challenge PSG reaching the last year of his contract. Nor do I think that any club will challenge PSG by putting them in that situation, so he either renew or leave this summer.
I also thought that he would renew with some kind of commitment to let him leave in the future, but if he wants to go he has to do it now.
From what I have read the starting price is 150 million. I imagine that Madrid's offer will consist of money, not wanted players and perhaps some sacrifice.

slyadams

What kind of signing is that?
When was the last time we signed either the next up and coming super hot foreign prospect or a genuine “best player in the world” contender?

One could argue Pogba fits the bill but that transfer is a bit different as he was coming back.

Lentwood

Great player but I think as a club we almost need to forget about signing big names once they have established themselves at other clubs.

For £200m, he would basically be four windows worth of outlay and that means other positions would have to wait. I'm not sure we can afford that.

TheRedHearted

When was the last time we signed either the next up and coming super hot foreign prospect or a genuine “best player in the world” contender?

One could argue Pogba fits the bill but that transfer is a bit different as he was coming back.
Was going to respond, Pogba. We over paid for Maguore and were a better team then when we got Pogba. Van Persie was a signing although way older of a very darn good player in that position. It’s weird to think we can’t make a signing like this because of past situations, I feel like we were unable to lure top talent in because we were so dire.

Sanchez was the best player in his position too.

i get feeling discouraged because our spending hasn’t been the best but it’s completely possible, it’s exactly how teams make the step up is either through the great small end prospect investments or that one signing no one thought they could pull off and do. Well generally both.

slyadams

Was going to respond, Pogba. We over paid for Maguore and were a better team then when we got Pogba. Van Persie was a signing although way older of a very darn good player in that position. It’s weird to think we can’t make a signing like this because of past situations, I feel like we were unable to lure top talent in because we were so dire.

Sanchez was the best player in his position too.

i get feeling discouraged because our spending hasn’t been the best but it’s completely possible, it’s exactly how teams make the step up is either through the great small end prospect investments or that one signing no one thought they could pull off and do. Well generally both.
Pogba is a different case imo. We paid a lot for Maguire but I don’t think he qualifies as a contender for “best player in the world”. RVP and Sanchez were both 30ish when signed, so aren’t up and coming nor “best player in the world” contenders.

The facts are United have been in the market for the best British players (Rio, Rooney, Carrick etc.), but we’ve never signed a player of this quality once they’d fully emerged. I don’t like it, but there’s zero chance he’ll end up with us during his peak years. This isn’t just a situation now, we’ve never done it. We were close with Ronaldinho by all accounts.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I get that there’s a lot of hype at the moment around Haaland and for good reason but come on Mbappe is one of the most exciting players in the world. He would be an incredible signing!
I like Haaland better so far although they have different skillsets so it's ok to prefer one or the other. However since Ronaldo left I think Haaland is the player who can come closest to replace his goal output. I mean I think every team would fancy getting both of them but they don't offer quite the same.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He will sign, because no one else could afford him.
A bit like pogbas situation unless Juve or PSG step up. I would take Haaland over Mbappe. We are pretty stacked on the wings and I think Haaland is something we don’t have. Mbappe is far better than anyone we have on the wings.... . I’d love both but I think we will probably get neither.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Talent like that stewing in that league is a travesty. He needs to light up the EPL or LaLiga.

Devil81

I'd say with our current progress we could realistically sell ourselves again to players of his ability.

If he fancies the Premier league we've got to be in with a shot.

davidmichael

Who would people prefer, Halland or Mbappe?
Mbappe as he suits the pacey, counter attacking style that Ole wants to play but with Martial being so horribly out of form it’s not working as it should.

A front three of Greenwood on the right, Mbappe through the middle and Rashford from the left with Fernandes and Pogba behind is most likely the best attacking force in world football although it’d mean signing a pure out and out defensive midfielder too.