Sunderland ‘Til I Die | Season 3 on Netflix on 13th February

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just started this.

Loving how angry they're all getting for a friendly against Celtic... a friendly! :lol:

Ljungster

Amazing documentary! Really shows both the people inside the club but also the personal aspects of the players which I feel alot of people forget about. And if anyone is wondering about the intro-song it's: Shipyards - The Lake Poets.

youngrell

Watched a few episodes last night and it really is car crash TV. It's great to see the background of a football club, though.

With regards to Rodwell, I've not got to any parts with him talking yet but it's hard to blame him for staying on with those kind of wages. And he's young enough to sit a season or so out and still get a decent transfer elsewhere afterwards. If he really was causing a problem for the club's ongoing wage budget, why not just pay up his wages and get him out of there?

LingardsBoots

Loved the show. Training pitch has snow on so they move to the stadium and Coleman shovels snow off the pitch. Small time club, small time players and small time wages. Let them rot in hell I say after the Poznan crap a few years back. It's funny how justice has a cruel way of hitting back, but lovely at times too.

Ljungster

Just have to say this regarding Jack Rodwell? Everyone complained that he didn't show it on the pitch, but kinda hard to do that when the coach isn't playing him? What they forgot to say was that they apparently had a clause in his contract which gave him a bonus for playing x amount of games and that was the reason why the coach didn't pick him..

Annihilate Now!

Scout
It’s amazing how long United fans can hold a grudge against Sunderland. Small time
It's ridiculous really.

Any other club would have done exactly the same thing - including us I'd suspect,

If say we had stopped Spurs winning the title over Leicester those few seasons ago, we'd have had great fun with it.

macheda14

It's ridiculous really.

Any other club would have done exactly the same thing - including us I'd suspect,

If say we had stopped Spurs winning the title over Leicester those few seasons ago, we'd have had great fun with it.
Slightly different in that they did absolutely nothing. They didn't beat us, they lost. It was also linked to perhaps our worst day in the Premier League. Anyone/thing linked to that day can feck off, QPR, Aguerooooooo, Sunderland.

Annihilate Now!

Scout
Slightly different in that they did absolutely nothing. They didn't beat us, they lost. It was also linked to perhaps our worst day in the Premier League. Anyone/thing linked to that day can feck off, QPR, Aguerooooooo, Sunderland.
Still, even if we had done nothing to do it, we still would take the piss.

I was there, in the ground sat in the Sunderland section - its easily the worst footballing related experiences I've ever had in my life, and to this day I still have never seen that Aguero goal properly, but yeah I don't hold anything against the Sunderland fans at all, I mean, fans taking the piss out of other fans is football isn't it?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Just have to say this regarding Jack Rodwell? Everyone complained that he didn't show it on the pitch, but kinda hard to do that when the coach isn't playing him? What they forgot to say was that they apparently had a clause in his contract which gave him a bonus for playing x amount of games and that was the reason why the coach didn't pick him..
Yeah but at the end of the day why would you stay where you’re not wanted?

jeff_goldblum

On that day the last thing I was concerned about was what the Sunderland fans were up to. They did nothing any group of football fans wouldn't have done in the same position and it's very petty to find joy in the Sunderland's downfall because of a perceived wrong done over half a decade ago.

The people who work at the club seem great, very reminiscent of many of the backstage folk at United who are huge fans first and foremost. It's a shame they've been let down by the execs and I hope the next series shows them back on the up.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Laughed at the fan saying “lucky black cat” whilst wanking off his lamp
:lol:

And it had no impact on the results, if anything they got worse! He just needs to admit to himself that he enjoys w@nking off his cat pre-match.

littlepeasoup

In comparison to some of the more recent football docos, this seems really well done. The Juve one was straight up dull, and the City one was more like a PR w*nk-fest than a piece of documentary film-making.

montpelier

I've got to Grayson being sacked. I think he gave up after the transfer deadline deal for McCormack fell through.

Bain has been sent in to cut costs & get a sale done. And to demoralise the scouting section I think.

Grayson done an awful lot of drills, innit. They must have been bored rigid.

OleGunnar20

Fantastic doc!

Felt that Coleman, Williams & Honeyman came across really well. As did the backroom staff and most of the fans who were obviously heart and soul for the club.

Bain an absolute numpty and a solid gold cnut to boot.

Shame to see Gibson so troubled. He comes across as being completely dedicated to the club, hope he sorts himself out.

Also, while I can see where people are coming from having a go at Rodwell, I find it hard to believe the majority of us here would do 'The honourable thing' and give up their last shot at a contract that big.

The redundancies are on Shorts head, certainly not Rodwell's. Absolutely laughable for Bain to try and paint him as the bad guy for not tearing up his contract. Why don't you tear up your contract matey and put that fella down in reception in charge.

Yes it clear that on balance Rodwell was prioritising money above playing time, but we're I in his shoes I'd likely do the same.

More pragmatism than cnuty behaviour I'd say.

montpelier

Was he wanting Grabban to do 70mins a game so he could do 70mins a game in every game - with him being the only striker, like?

But by stealth, this being football obviously. I suppose Grabban was supposed to work this out for himself & then keep quiet so as to not rock the boat or something.

Is there any other team sport where ego, money & stupid mismanagement coalesce so effortlessly as football.

Rodwell was on the brink of costing another load of money in fees to someone or other. Who's fault is that?

Bain is a total bullshitter, obviously.

I haven't seen Lee Camp save anything yet.

Fair play to Coleman & Symons for attempting to lift the mood of what was obviously a doomed operation anyway. The football is appalling isn't it?

Jonny Williams is obviously a class above anything else there. Even Gibson & Cattermole to an extent.

Grabban is a prized Championship level player is he? Christ, almighty.

But then Prem clubs don't seem to be wanting to look at Billing or Patrick Bamford unless they have to.

Robbo's Shoulder

Supports
United and Barrow AFC
It was good watch, Bain comes across as right cnut, Coleman and the staff come across really well. Changed my stance on the fans as well, feel sorry them now. How a club of that size and stature can be so mismanaged that they end up in the 3rd tier of English football is a disgrace tbh.

montpelier

It was good watch, Bain comes across as right cnut, Coleman and the staff come across really well. Changed my stance on the fans as well, feel sorry them now. How a club of that size and stature can be so mismanaged that they end up in the 3rd tier of English football is a disgrace tbh.
I dunno. I can see how dropping out of the Premier League creates a few problems. And once you start realising the Championship is a complete bunfight & people are deserting the sinking ship left, right & centre. Others want to get off & others are just treading water.

You only have to finish above 3 in the Top league though & the bottom few in the Championship usually includes a few who are above their level really. So successive relegations is a significant achievement really, even so. You'd have thought.

Macern

Pee pee pants
:lol:

And it had no impact on the results, if anything they got worse! He just needs to admit to himself that he enjoys w@nking off his cat pre-match.
:lol: Laughed so hard at this. He literally wanks his lucky black cat. It’s a black cat ffs, no wonder they got relegated.

Kag

There was a piece of television gold during one of the fans’ forum events. It could have been taken from the Office and plonked into this documentary.

Sunderland fan: The club is in a dismal state etc, etc. What is the club’s long term aim?

Martin Bain: To change your attitude.

Nothing more to add. Just one phenomenal line of pure Brent-ism, said with so much confidence and smarm. It’s as if Bain had been watching Ricky Gervais his whole life to reach this moment and deliver this golden line of motivation.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
That was a hard watch. I feel such sympathy for the staff there.

I couldn't help but read a few articles after and check out the Sunderland message board. Bain was on £1.2m a year. Adds a fresh angle on him harping on about Rodwell (who also comes off terribly).

Edit: By the way folks, they're watching this thread and the Poznan discussions :D

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

Martin Bain is a blast from the past. I remember being on a forum where there was a large contingent of SPL fans and he was Rangers CEO at the time(?) and all the Rangers fans used to take the piss out of him by calling him a male model (which I believe he actually was), despite being bald as Guardiola. Think they even said he was on more money than the actual players when you factored in annual bonuses and stuff. :lol:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I don’t think you could find 3 more hopeless goalkeepers even if you tried.

RORY65

I don’t think you could find 3 more hopeless goalkeepers even if you tried.
That was the one feature of the football clips that I couldn't believe, Lee Camp especially had always seemed like a decent Championship keeper yet the vast majority of the goals conceded by them looked like they could, arguably should, have been saved.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Interestingly, on the Sunderland boards most people seem to have a higher opinion of Bain after the doc. He must have been a megaprick day to day for the average fan, not to mention it seems he was seen as an asset stripping lackey for Ellis. His ineptness when you actually see it has been redeeming!

montpelier

Yes, I had a very quick look at the forum with about 250 pages on this. They seem to like Bain.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
They probably assume he done nothing but seeing him trying to push deals through on deadline day etc have made them think, "The baldy git does a bit actually"

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
They probably assume he done nothing but seeing him trying to push deals through on deadline day etc have made them think, "The baldy git does a bit actually"
Mostly they say they see how tied his hands were and that he seemed to care, bar a handful who say they're blind and that he's David Brent. Pretty different point of view to what folks have expressed here.

Grayson gets a huge amount of hate too, while a lot point out that there's nothing about some bombshell statement Ellis made early in the season or how apparently some of their African players went on strike.

Last edited:

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Mostly they say they see how tied his hands were and that he seemed to care, bar a handful who they're blind and that he's David Brent. Pretty different point of view to what folks have expressed here.

Grayson gets a huge amount of hate too, while a lot point out that there's nothing about some bombshell statement Ellis made early in the season or how apparently some of their African players went on strike.
Yeah to be fair to him, the instruction from above was obviously to cut costs. People seem to have a good impression of Coleman, but McGeady wasn't happy that he walked in after a bad result and everything was happy days around the place. I didn't get that either. I know he was probably thinking positivity would help but nothing like a good rant to let people know it isn't acceptable

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Yeah to be fair to him, the instruction from above was obviously to cut costs. People seem to have a good impression of Coleman, but McGeady wasn't happy that he walked in after a bad result and everything was happy days around the place. I didn't get that either. I know he was probably thinking positivity would help but nothing like a good rant to let people know it isn't acceptable
I tend to cut Coleman some slack because of what he achieved with Wales and the extremely high opinion Williams had of him, for example. We could say his management style just doesn't work in a toxic environment where the confidence of the players was already totally shot and he couldn't bring them up to his level of optimism, in addition to the awful injury luck they had. It was some shocker of a statement though from McGeady in relation to 4-3-3... utterly withering.

montpelier

I got a bit fed up with Bain's corporate-speak. And him being a massive poser.

I don't thimk Grayson had a clue/chance. I think he knew it was a shitshow. His training & his approach to training looked deadly dull.

I hadn't previously warmed to Coleman but him & Symons seemed OK to me. Positive without being overbearing & lacking the ego that I thought he had.

What did any of you think of the big pitch-clearing effort? I started off thinking 'this is bollocks' but later I was thinking this is quite clever in sending out a message of ''we're all in it together'' - try & communicate some 'humble-ness'' & expectation of effort from the players.

montpelier

I tend to cut Coleman some slack because of what he achieved with Wales and the extremely high opinion Williams had of him, for example. We could say his management style just doesn't work in a toxic environment where the confidence of the players was already totally shot and he couldn't bring them up to his level of optimism, in addition to the awful injury luck they had. It was some shocker of a statement though from McGeady in relation to 4-3-3... utterly withering.
Well, he was probably right. But Coleman probably wanted to keep whatever belief he could going rather than just quit, if you like.

Also it was just a single sentence from a player who has known much better times & situations. I didn't take it as being particulary malicious, just a bit exasperated with the whole thing maybe.

RedEM10

Sweaty Foot Monster
Yeah the 433 thing was a load of crap. Does your manager have to tell you every little detail? No, you are a professional footballer for christs sake. Yeah I see what your saying but I would be someone who would need a good kick up the arse rather than a pat on the back