Sunderland ‘Til I Die | Season 3 on Netflix on 13th February

marktan

I actually like Sunderland as a club and enjoyed the documentary. Most of their fans are pretty sound.

I could give less of a feck about some idiots doing the poznan, that day was more about qpr being useless and the abiding memory of that day I have is Djibrill fecking Cisse celebrating with the City players.

montpelier

Just realized Charlton are being managed by Lee Bowyer.
I did this at almost exactly the same time, :(. Charlton used to reckon they were super progressive in the community too.

Jonny Williams from the Sunderland doc was playing too, do I hear right?

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
I've got to say, Lee Bowyer is not a player I imagined would go into management. Stranger still he (and Kevin Nolan) have turned out to be competent.

Luke1995

Is the Sunderland rebuild more difficult than what we are seeing at United ? While United's decline has been progressive over the course of several seasons post Fergie, Sunderland suddenly had a terrible season in 2016-17 and got relegated after years in the PL, but I would never have guessed that they would drop into league one and fail to secure promotion. Honestly I think they can become a solid championship team, even though they are again sacking managers. After everything we've seen from Woodward and the Glazers, gotta think that Sunderland is in a better position than we are (Given the monetary size of the clubs of course)

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Is the Sunderland rebuild more difficult than what we are seeing at United ? While United's decline has been progressive over the course of several seasons post Fergie, Sunderland suddenly had a terrible season in 2016-17 and got relegated after years in the PL, but I would never have guessed that they would drop into league one and fail to secure promotion. Honestly I think they can become a solid championship team, even though they are again sacking managers. After everything we've seen from Woodward and the Glazers, gotta think that Sunderland is in a better position than we are (Given the monetary size of the clubs of course)
They were in the shit for years but kept constantly finding quick fix after quick fix to save themselves when things looked done, rinse and repeat till their luck finally ran out (think they had 4 consecutive late survivals before eventually going down).

It was always going to come home to roost eventually.

Bulldog United

Any news when season 2 will be out?
Whenever I see this thread bumped, I hope someone has the answer to your question.

From what I understand, Netflix has all the footage to do a second season - but they haven't green lighted work on producing it. I hope they do, I really loved every episode.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
They did the poznan to celebrate that late Aguero goal that meant that City won the league back in 2012
In other words, nothing significant. It's just United fans being incredibly petty.

Which to be fair, sums up big club football fandom in general.

Tel074

Has anyone started watching this? It was released on Netflix over the weekend. Originally pitched as a documentary to chart their rise and return to the Premier League but instead tracked their relegation to League One obscurity.

Call me unsympathetic but I’m loving the schadenfreude in all this. Their fans are apoplectic every week whilst losing to the likes of Burton Albion and Rotherham and it’s absolutely beautiful to see, the Poznan bastards.
Totally agree . I.f...ing hate Sunderland . From that final day of the season to how they treated their own player Mcclean and up to the whole bloody city voting Brexit . Hate them and I'm so happy they are where they are

Bulldog United

In other words, nothing significant. It's just United fans being incredibly petty.

Which to be fair, sums up big club football fandom in general.
It's not big club football fandom, it's football fandom in general. I have no doubt there are Hartlepool fans who hold petty grudges for something that happened within a football ground once. I imagine most football fans should plead guilty to your charge if they were being really honest with themselves.

fps

I really enjoyed the first season of this show. Are there any other documentaries that are like this? I don't mean the glossy ones clearly used to promote a club's brand and message.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
It's not big club football fandom, it's football fandom in general. I have no doubt there are Hartlepool fans who hold petty grudges for something that happened within a football ground once. I imagine most football fans should plead guilty to your charge if they were being really honest with themselves.
You would be entirely correct. The whole post is really.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Ia the Poznan thing not incredibly petty then?
Incredibly petty by Sunderland fans, yes. Do you expect United fans to take that lying down? Let me guess Hartlepool fans would be delighted at being goaded for losing losing the title in the dying seconds just because they’re a ‘smaller’ club?

Stop chatting shit.

I’ll tell you what’s also petty, a fan of a so called smaller club signing up to the forum of a so called bigger club and slagging off the fans in every post.

The irony is staggering.

Good luck to Hartlepool, hopefully this gives you some comfort at night.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I really enjoyed the first season of this show. Are there any other documentaries that are like this? I don't mean the glossy ones clearly used to promote a club's brand and message.
I think Leeds had one on Amazon prime, but I didn’t see it so can’t confirm if that’s more like the city one (glossy) or Sunderland (opposite of glossy)

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
Incredibly petty by Sunderland fans, yes. Do you expect United fans to take that lying down? Let me guess Hartlepool fans would be delighted at being goaded for losing losing the title in the dying seconds just because they’re a ‘smaller’ club?

Stop chatting shit.

I’ll tell you what’s also petty, a fan of a so called smaller club signing up to the forum of a so called bigger club and slagging off the fans in every post.

The irony is staggering.

Good luck to Hartlepool, hopefully this gives you some comfort at night.
Yes, because it's a nothing act. Seriously, you guys could really do with removing that particular stick from your collective arses*

*Commemt only applies to those individual fans actually holding that pathetic grudge.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Spurs are actually filming one I believe later this season. Way season is going for them it could be quite a watch and difficult to spin into positive light especially with some of their key players leaving in next six months.

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
Yes, because it's a nothing act. Seriously, you guys could really do with removing that particular stick from your collective arses*

*Commemt only applies to those individual fans actually holding that pathetic grudge.
What so you expect us to feel sorry for them now they're going through a rough time then? Give over.

Personally, I couldn't give a shit what they do. If they get relegated again who cares, won't be a tear shed from myself. I certainly won't be signing up to their forums to stick the boot in. Your original post (which quoted a 6 month old one) implied that having 'petty' grudges 'sums up big club football fandom in general'. Care to explain? Or was it just another opportunity to have a pop at our fans, which you have continually made clear that's your main intention on this board.

Last edited:

Castia

The club could go extinct for all I care. Seriously feck Sunderland. SAF was livid and said something along the lines of karma comes around and boy was he right.

They gave zero fooks about us losing the league and we give zero fooks about them dropping down the leagues I guess it’s fair game.

Funny because at one time we had a little connection to Sunderland Keane and Bruce were managers and they had a fair few ex United players in Wes Brown, John O’Shea, Kieran Richardson, Phil Bardsley, Paddy McNair, Frazier Campbell, Jonny Evans (Loan) Adnan Januzaj (loan), Danny Welbeck (Loan) so I used to like them at one point.

Last edited:

fps

Spurs are actually filming one I believe later this season. Way season is going for them it could be quite a watch and difficult to spin into positive light especially with some of their key players leaving in next six months.
Great - that's what I want, something that starts as a glossy promo film and becomes something else. Some Kind Of Monster is one of my fave films, for instance.

fps

I think Leeds had one on Amazon prime, but I didn’t see it so can’t confirm if that’s more like the city one (glossy) or Sunderland (opposite of glossy)
Cool, might have a look for that. Things aren't especially glossy for Leeds at the mo are they?

OverratedOpinion

Football is totally unimportant in the grand scheme of things, as are the grudges and rivalries it creates.

As such, a club who often played tumescent football against us celebrating wildly as their team lost because we didn't win the league is a perfectly valid reason to develop a football related grudge.

Whoever it is that Hartlepool have rivalries with, do you think they began over some noble reason 500 years ago involving a blood feud, a world war and one owner stealing the other owners wife? No. It probably started because your clubs are fairly close geographically and you sang some songs at each other.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
My other boys Wycombe play them this weekend.

Ugly game last season, they couldn't take us leading them for a long spell, and their fans smashed our ground up when they equalised in the 94th or so minute.

3 red cards, 2 because of a scuffle their substituted player caused with our bench.

Would bloody love to smash them at the weekend, for United and for Wycombe.

FujiVice

Every club in the country would have done the same thing in fairness. Including us. I remember when we relegated them in 2006, we were all pointing at our watches to them saying "a few more minutes and you're going down." Football fans are what they are.

FujiVice

Ugly game last season, they couldn't take us leading them for a long spell, and their fans smashed our ground up when they equalised in the 94th or so minute.
I hear they caused £20k worth of improvements.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Cool, might have a look for that. Things aren't especially glossy for Leeds at the mo are they?
no and I think it features they’re play off failure last season.

Also, Our very own Dan James

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Phil Parkinson going to be new manager.

Plays a boring long ball style but very effective at league one level as got Bolton up when the financial problems were starting and did very well at Bradford for many years.

Could actually be their first decent managerial pick for a while.

SambaBoy

Quite an underwhelming choice for the fans.

His style of football is painful to watch but it can be effective. With the budget and players Sunderland have, they should be able to appoint a manager who plays attacking entertaining football and still get them promoted.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I was IN the Stadium of Light and IN the Sunderland end when it happened.

Honestly, it's not that big a deal, it was just normal football fandom. Anyone who holds a grudge against them for that needs to let it go.

Acole9

Outstanding

Honestly, it's not that big a deal, it was just normal football fandom. Anyone who holds a grudge against them for that needs to let it go.
Finally! Someone who sees sense over this.

Raw

Agreed, literally any other club would have done the same.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Yep. Said it before but what did you expect them to do? Pat us on the back and say unlucky lads?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I actually like Sunderland as a club and enjoyed the documentary. Most of their fans are pretty sound.

I could give less of a feck about some idiots doing the poznan, that day was more about qpr being useless and the abiding memory of that day I have is Djibrill fecking Cisse celebrating with the City players.
QPR being useless?!
They went 2-1 up with 10 men didn't they, and gave it way more of a go than anyone could have dreamed of.

The issue was the other game made them safe, and there were still a few mins left, and their cowardly punting of the ball straight back to City from the kick off. That was criminal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

People say this, but football fans are notorious grudge holders.

I bet you still moan about a ref, or a player, or a United old boy who did something or other. If you don't, you're quite unusual.
It's no different to that, and it doesn't matter that "all" fans would have done the same (conjecture, not fact), it matters that they "actually" did it.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
People say this, but football fans are notorious grudge holders.

I bet you still moan about a ref, or a player, or a United old boy who did something or other. If you don't, you're quite unusual.
It's no different to that, and it doesn't matter that "all" fans would have done the same (conjecture, not fact), it matters that they "actually" did it.
My brother still can't stand the sight of the linesman who once flagged Rooney offside against Portsmouth in (I think) 2008, so QFT