Sunderland ‘Til I Die | Season 3 on Netflix on 13th February

RC89

You don't seem to know why we'd revel in their demise. Might not have liked them much before that game. but ever since, United have had strong contempt for them and most will enjoy watching them plummet. They only have themselves to blame... especially after we showed such good will in loaning them premier talent only for them to then stick two fingers up at us.

They severed ties with us that day and stopped any relationship where we'd loan them even a pot to piss in. More fool them given our youngsters could have helped them stay in the PL.
What happened?:confused:

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Love how optimistic they were against Celtic despite being utter wank and and facing a much improved Celtic side under Rodgers.

Was on their forum a bit that season and it was pretty funny reading how bad they were.

They used 3 goalkeepers who were all awful and at fault for a fair few losses.

Castia

Watched this over the weekend and enjoyed it.

I don’t understand the Rodwell situation, he was taking £70k a week out of the club and according to him training 2-3 times a day, why wasn’t he getting picked?

feck em forgiving him a 5 year deal on that money, it’s their own fault.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

I don’t understand the Rodwell situation, he was taking £70k a week out of the club and according to him training 2-3 times a day, why wasn’t he getting picked?

Because he was shit when he played. He probably had a high per game played bonus too.

Not 100% but he may have had an option to extend after x amount of games.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Watched a few last night. It's weird. I found myself oddly liking Lee Cattermole. That's not something I expected to happen.

Simon Grayson seems like a crap manager but I sort of sympathised with him too.

Their fans lifted a United chant word for word, just swapping out "scousers" and "cockneys" for "magpies" and "boro". Even left in the Leeds bit.

crossy1686

career ending

There was a stat going round last season that whenever Rodwell has taken part in a game, the team he was playing for hadn't won that game in something like 2 and a half years. Imagine that for a losing streak?

What happened?:confused:
We played them in the final game of the 2012 season. They celebrated like they'd won the title themselves when they found out Aguero had scored the last minute winner.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Just put this on. Have they really opened with their fans telling their players to feck off? :lol:

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
This reminded me of my mate's mum. She sorts out the hotel for the players. Walked in to a room thinking it was empty and Defoe had his nob out.

MoskvaRed

It was an interesting watch. You tend to overlook the human side of footballers but watching Jonny Williams talk about mental health issues or even seeing the Dutch goalie moving his family over to NE England made you think about the rootless lives many of these players lead and the resulting challenges.

Coleman came across as a nice guy but without much substance. I felt most sorry for the non-playing staff who clearly care deeply about their club and have seen various chancers pass through (Rodwell most noticeably) while they worry about redundancies.

NinjaFletch

It's weird. I binge watched it in one go, so clearly must have enjoyed it, but couldn't put my finger now looking back about what it was that I actually particularly enjoyed about the documentary.

There were a few interesting bits and pieces here and there, but given the material they had to work with it's almost impressive how bland they managed to make large aspects of what happened.

I dunno if it was an issue of access – they didn't seem to have any access to the dressing room or most training sessions – or a reflection of the fact that none of the players actually gave a feck about the club, but they had a season like that and the most salacious thing they could find was McGeady saying that he found it weird that Coleman didn't get more angry with the players than he did.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
"How do you feel Chris?"
"I feel responsible"
"...fecking prick"
"I HAVE A WIFE AND 6 KIDS!"

:lol::lol::lol:

I demand a season two!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
"How do you feel Chris?"
"I feel responsible"
"...fecking prick"
"I HAVE A WIFE AND 6 KIDS!"

:lol::lol::lol:

I demand a season two!
I felt bad for Coleman seemed to care. Gibson came off as a twat as did Grabben.

RORY65

I felt bad for Coleman seemed to care. Gibson came off as a twat as did Grabben.
Coleman did seem like a nice guy and not the weird character I had perceived him as previously. Gibson seemed to care but clearly has a drinking problem which got him into trouble early in the season and eventually lost him his contract. Grabban did come across as a bit of a tosser and Jack Rodwell came across dreadfully, giving interviews saying all he wanted to do was play while on camera saying "no chance mate" when asked if he was going to play at the weekend.

I really enjoyed the documentary, I found the City one interesting for about 1 episode because Guardiola is extraordinary but after seeing that you realise the rest of it is a tedious, PR puff piece but this was so much better at showing what a football club can mean to a community and how at lower levels people's livelihoods really are at stake.

SparkedIntoLife

Most of the way through it. Love the intro song. I was surprised by how just how basic some of the running of the club was. One case in point was Martin Bain having a long chat with the youth guy basically determining ‘we need to buy players with resale value’ as if it were a revolutionary concept.

SteveTheRed

Only watched the first episode, it's great probably just because it's Sunderland being shit but also because it's the shows the heartache of supporting a team.

Especially up there when they have feck all going for them, they live in hope that Sunderland will get a result at the weekend and inevitably they rarely do. Depressing place.

Always interesting to see behind the scenes at any football club.

Ibrahimorich

Having finished the series I can conclude Sunderland fans have the shittest repertoire of songs in all of English football.

Also it really does paint a depressing picture of supporting them. One of the episodes literally starts with images of coffins and a man discussing funeral arrangements.
Pretty sure that's Aston Villa

Last edited:

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Only watched the first episode, it's great probably just because it's Sunderland being shit but also because it's the shows the heartache of supporting a team.

Especially up there when they have feck all going for them, they live in hope that Sunderland will get a result at the weekend and inevitably they rarely do. Depressing place.

Always interesting to see behind the scenes at any football club.
I felt so bad for them in the game they got relegated in episode 6 . Leading 1-0 5 min to go concede the equalizer then start loosing 2-1 in the 90th and then equalize in the 95th only for the goal to be ruled out and then to be relegated. When it’s not going for you it’s just nothing you can do .

poleglass red

remember when we were strongly linked with him under Fergie. For such a highly rated youngster his career never really lived up to the hype.

SteveTheRed

remember when we were strongly linked with him under Fergie. For such a highly rated youngster his career never really lived up to the hype.
Certainly one of biggest rise and fall of youngsters of this current generation. He looked like a certain international when you saw him at Everton aged 18

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Or Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelseeeeea, Chelsea, Chelsea, Chelseeeeea. Never heard any good chants from the bridge.
Same for me. I think they had two chants when I was there last. Also, Leeds had "we are Leeds, we are Leeds, we are Leeds" and "stand up if you hate Man Utd". Terrible.

Great documentary, really enjoyed it. Incredible they thought they'd be bouncing right back up.

Prodigy24

Watched the entire season last week and must say that it's really good! They really chose the best season to film a documentary :lol:

Well worth a watch for any football fan.

Luke1995

I am watching it and it got me interested in their history. Who is generally considered their all time best player ?

They do have a history of taking former United players like O'shea, Brown, Richardson, Januzaj and Gibson. Respect.

Morpheus 7

Sad for the staff behind the scenes otherwise hilarious. The stadium of shite, most horrible club on the planet. Make Newcastle look classy, you know it's bad then.

FujiVice

I am watching it and it got me interested in their history. Who is generally considered their all time best player ?
The early 1900s they were a pretty big deal. Won the league 6 times. So I imagine players from that era you'd say were the greatest.

Modern history, Kevin Phillips is their golden boy.

MoskvaRed

They do have a history of taking former United players like O'shea, Brown, Richardson, Januzaj and Gibson. Respect.
I suppose it’s the player on the mural on the side of the house - Raich Carter - also shown in the opening credits carrying the FA Cup in the 1930s. I don’t know who else - they have been largely irrelevant in post-war football

Carolina Red

Staff
Has anyone started watching this? It was released on Netflix over the weekend. Originally pitched as a documentary to chart their rise and return to the Premier League but instead tracked their relegation to League One obscurity.

Call me unsympathetic but I’m loving the schadenfreude in all this. Their fans are apoplectic every week whilst losing to the likes of Burton Albion and Rotherham and it’s absolutely beautiful to see, the Poznan bastards.
Started watching it Monday night. I’ve gotten through transfer deadline day. Fun to watch so far.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
Grabben doesn't come across as badly as I expected from reading this thread. He said Coleman barely spoke to him and started subbing him after 70 minutes and he couldn't be arsed with that. Rodwell was quite deliberately made to look bad. "No chance mate" seemed taken out of context. If he's injured, he's injured.

Still, it says a lot about the state of modern football that a second division journeyman striker and a perma-crock who showed a bit of potential as a teenager are both multi-millionaires.

There's a thread elsewhere about falling out of love with football, in which someone brilliantly summarised "we're getting too old for this". I couldn't help thinking of that when seeing 60 year old factory workers from Sunderland having their weeks made or ruined by whether Brian Oveido and Didier Ndong win or lose against Vito Mannone and Leandro Bacuna.

Last edited:

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
This series is incredible! :lol: Don’t know if I should be laughing at it or feeling bad about some of their fans.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Grabben doesn't come across as badly as I expected from reading this thread. He said Coleman barely spoke to him and started subbing him after 70 minutes and he couldn't be arsed with that. Rodwell was quite deliberately made to look bad. "No chance mate" seemed taken out of context. If he's injured, he's injured.

Still, it says a lot about the state of modern football that a second division journeyman striker and a perma-crock who showed a bit of potential as a teenager are both multi-millionaires.

There's a thread elsewhere about falling out of love with football, in which someone brilliantly summarised "we're getting too old for this". I couldn't help thinking of that when seeing 60 year old factory workers from Sunderland having their weeks made or ruined by whether Brian Oveido and Didier Ndong win or lose against Vito Mannone and Leandro Bacuna.
They got those crazy wages when they were in the PL.

Luke1995

The early 1900s they were a pretty big deal. Won the league 6 times. So I imagine players from that era you'd say were the greatest.

Modern history, Kevin Phillips is their golden boy.
I've heard about Kevin Phillps but actually never saw him play. How good was he ?