Sunderland ‘Til I Die | Season 3 on Netflix on 13th February

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yes, I donate to save the children every month. Still has nothing to do with what Rodwell did.
I think it does, if you didn't give anything, you wouldn't be in a position to comment on if other people do or not.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Bravo, well done for being completely oblivious to the difference in situations.
Situation is you expect one man to freely give up his salary to pay for other people's salaries for some bizarre reason but then refuse to give up yours to help your colleagues. cnut if I ever heard one.

haram

Situation is you expect one man to freely give up his salary to pay for other people's salaries for some bizarre reason but then refuse to give up yours to help your colleagues. cnut if I ever heard one.
Maybe because I am not a multi millionaire in the position to do so :houllier:. At this point you must be trolling. Stop comparing professional football to average life, it doesn’t work.

RORY65

I don't know haram but I'm going to guess if he gave up his salary he wouldn't have millions left over in the bank nor the knowledge that he would find another job probably within a day or two, nor is it likely that he would essentially be adding further scrutiny to his manager and winding up the other people at his work by suggesting the only thing he wants to do is contribute while knowing full well he's not going to do that.

haram

I don't know haram but I'm going to guess if he gave up his salary he wouldn't have millions left over in the bank nor the knowledge that he would find another job probably within a day or two, nor is it likely that he would essentially be adding further scrutiny to his manager and winding up the other people at his work by suggesting the only thing he wants to do is contribute while knowing full well he's not going to do that.
I can confirm I would definitely not have millions in the bank :lol:.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Also the greedy side like Rodwell, sitting on his arse on 70k a week. Felt for those lower level staff relegation and a lot of them would lose their jobs, Rodwell didn't seem to care at all
Yeah, it’s hard to sympathise with him in that documentary. I do think it’s still a lot more Sunderland’s fault for giving him that contract, but at some point you professionalism should kick in and either play your heart out for that money or leave for the good of the club.

Bwuk

Don’t blame Rodwell - club we’re stupid enough to give him a massive contract he wouldn’t get elsewhere.

He’ll be on nowhere near 70k a week at Blackburn.

It’s a similar issue we’ve had as a club - giving out massive contracts and thus struggling to shift players.

Find the documentary really interesting, but a really stupid idea to film.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The posters here lambasting Rodwell for being greedy and ‘costing hundreds their jobs’ are being naive, idealistic fantasists. Rodwell worked his bollocks off to get where he got in the game (big money move to City with a big money contract to suit) and if Sunderland decided to offer him similar terms upon joining him, he is absolutely right to stick around for the duration of that contract. Rodwell has his own family to think about as well - parents, wife, children. He can provide for them beyond his wildest dreams after all the sacrifices they have made for him. Rodwell’s children - and his children’s children - can enjoy a very comfortable living on the back of his earnings over his career. He is well within his rights to protect that legacy at all costs.

Football careers are very short - and even shorter again at your ‘peak earning’ stage - with the vast majority needing to find a different career upon retiring to make ends meet. If Sunderland offered him a handsome contract five years ago, he’d be an absolute fool to walk away from it in the current climate especially considering he’d be lucky to get any contract from any club, let alone a contract to match the one he’d be ripping up.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Roswell knew he would get nowhere near 70k anywhere else, in fact he would probably struggle massively to get a club at all, so why would he voluntarily end his contract?

I mean, it's the responsibility of the club to find a player another club if they don't want to have them there anymore. The fact that they had to ask him to end his contract rather than being able to offer him other options shows how little a chance he himself would have had to go somewhere else.

Rodwell did nothing wrong, anyone who thinks he did is being naive.

Josep Dowling

He was not "sitting there", he was doing his job. The job Sunderland had given him.

Do you think him agreeing to leave on a free would have done anything other than make the owner a little richer? Of course not. Nobody lost their job because of Jack Rodwell.
I’m not sure why you keep deflecting this on the owner. Ellis Short had pumped in a load of money into a business that continually made losses and he could see they weren’t going to get any better so pulled the plug.

Someone like Rodwell can see the day-to-day life of the club. He had a 5 year contract which was offered to him whilst they were in the Premier League. The chief executive told him the situation they needed to get rid of him to help bring in players and he didn’t care. The main person to blame was whichever numpty didn’t put a relegation clause in his contract, it quite astonishing how often this happens at Premier League clubs and makes you realise most don’t have a clue what they’re are doing. However from a morale perspective Rodwell had been earning mega money from his City days and not playing. Why was he not being played? Turning up to work does not mean he was doing a good job. I suspect he was putting in minimal effort in training and was one of the bag eggs that Chris Coleman referred to.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I’m not sure why you keep deflecting this on the owner. Ellis Short had pumped in a load of money into a business that continually made losses and he could see they weren’t going to get any better so pulled the plug.

Someone like Rodwell can see the day-to-day life of the club. He had a 5 year contract which was offered to him whilst they were in the Premier League. The chief executive told him the situation they needed to get rid of him to help bring in players and he didn’t care. The main person to blame was whichever numpty didn’t put a relegation clause in his contract, it quite astonishing how often this happens at Premier League clubs and makes you realise most don’t have a clue what they’re are doing. However from a morale perspective Rodwell had been earning mega money from his City days and not playing. Why was he not being played? Turning up to work does not mean he was doing a good job. I suspect he was putting in minimal effort in training and was one of the bag eggs that Chris Coleman referred to.
I blame Ellis Short because he took over the club, gave out a load of big contracts and then decided he'd sack a load of low paid workers rather than use any of his own billion pounds to honour the agreements he made.

If Rodwell had acted unprofessionally the club would've used that to fined him and eventually sack him. He didn't so they couldn't.

As for why Rodwell was not being picked, that's pretty obvious to me, they were trying to force him out of the club to cut his wages.

Minimalist

Burned through it all last night in the end. Did feel for the supporters in the end I must admit (putting aside their 2011/12 moment). Especially the support staff around the club. They deserve better.

Martin Bain is a nob who clearly reads GQ on the daily. Twat.

Grayson and Coleman came across as two blokes trying their best with limited resources. Cracking/weird response from Coleman to the twat supporter at the end. :lol:

Some of the players are clearly not bothered about the club to say the least. Don't think anyone would be bothered if Grabban never played a game of football ever again given his comments and behaviour. Also not sure it was great PR for John O'Shea all in all.

Not sure I care either way about Jack Rodwell. Don't think he comes across well at all but there's bigger problems than him in the larger scheme of things. His career to date shows he's a lucky SOB to be on that sort of money, so I don't feel any sympathy for him either (in terms of the documentary making him look bad).

Agree with other posters saying Jonny Williams is hard to dislike. Hope he has a decent career.

In Rainbows

"How do you feel Chris?"
"I feel responsible"
"...fecking prick"
"I HAVE A WIFE AND 6 KIDS!"

:lol::lol::lol:

I demand a season two!
The "I'm a fecking prick? I have a wife and 6 kids!" quote made me laugh. :lol:

Buchan

McGeady’s summarisation of Coleman’s coaching capabilities was a bit of a wakeup call for me, if I’m being honest. I’d assumed, mainly from his Wales days, that Coleman was a modern, innovative coach who put hours of work into tactics and coaching the players to be better footballers but McGeady cut right through that with his withering assessment.

Coleman (and Symons, who came across as a right knob to be honest - why is he wearing a suit on the touchline as well? He’s an assistant, ffs! :lol: Symons reminds me of Gareth in The Office sucking up to Brent and, in spite of his wannabe-manager persona, is just an all-round figure of ridicule) seems to think that being a nice guy and being positive all the time will help the fellas making mistakes on the football field to stop making mistakes on the football field. It’s absolute lunacy from a managerial/coaching perspective.

Massive Spanner

Burned through it all last night in the end. Did feel for the supporters in the end I must admit (putting aside their 2011/12 moment). Especially the support staff around the club. They deserve better.

Grayson and Coleman came across as two blokes trying their best with limited resources. Cracking/weird response from Coleman to the twat supporter at the end. :lol:

Some of the players are clearly not bothered about the club to say the least. Don't think anyone would be bothered if Grabban never played a game of football ever again given his comments and behaviour. Also not sure it was great PR for John O'Shea all in all.

Not sure I care either way about Jack Rodwell. Don't think he comes across well at all but there's bigger problems than him in the larger scheme of things. His career to date shows he's a lucky SOB to be on that sort of money, so I don't feel any sympathy for him either (in terms of the documentary making him look bad).

Agree with other posters saying Jonny Williams is hard to dislike. Hope he has a decent career.
I can't remember thinking JO'S did anything that made him come across badly?

The only two I thought came across badly were Gibson and Grabban. And Gibson to be fair did seem really passionate about the club but obviously had a drinking problem and personal issues.

Minimalist

I can't remember thinking JO'S did anything that made him come across badly?

The only two I thought came across badly were Gibson and Grabban. And Gibson to be fair did seem really passionate about the club but obviously had a drinking problem and personal issues.
Sorry I didn't mean his behaviour or anything (he came across well in that regard). I meant more that he was always playing centre back for them (captain as well?) during this nightmare and front in centre in many of the scenes when they conceded daft goals.

Massive Spanner

Don’t blame Rodwell - club we’re stupid enough to give him a massive contract he wouldn’t get elsewhere.

He’ll be on nowhere near 70k a week at Blackburn.

It’s a similar issue we’ve had as a club - giving out massive contracts and thus struggling to shift players.

Find the documentary really interesting, but a really stupid idea to film.
The funny thing is Ellis supposedly let them do it because he thought the club would be promoted back to the PL and it would look good for investors :lol:

Buchan

O’Shea, interestingly, didn’t have any one-to-one time with the camera despite being club captain. All of the footage featuring him were vignettes speaking/interacting with other club staff. He’s not one to court the limelight but as club captain, you’d think he would be featured a lot more.

Massive Spanner

Sorry I didn't mean his behaviour or anything (he came across well in that regard). I meant more that he was always playing centre back for them (captain as well?) during this nightmare and front in centre in many of the scenes when they conceded daft goals.
To be fair, he's what? 35/36? Well past his best.

NoLogo

Watched it over the last couple of days and it was actually liked it a lot. Quite a different tone to the City documentary but still very well done and an interesting insight into a professional football club.

jeff_goldblum

Just starting this tonight, coming from County Durham it's generally a 50/50 split between Newcastle and Sunderland fans. I like to see them both doing well, but especially Sunderland as the city has been fecked over so much and a good season really makes a difference to peoples' lives.

roseguy64

Agreed with most of this. Could have maybe used another episode or two to get more player interviews and the like.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
McGeady’s summarisation of Coleman’s coaching capabilities was a bit of a wakeup call for me, if I’m being honest. I’d assumed, mainly from his Wales days, that Coleman was a modern, innovative coach who put hours of work into tactics and coaching the players to be better footballers but McGeady cut right through that with his withering assessment.
Yeah. It's hard to judge from a snippet, but neither McGeady or Coleman come out great there. McGeady because, after 600 games as a professional on the wing, he shouldn't be playing the daft rookie about his role. Coleman as well because it sounds like they weren't drilled into the new system.

Yup. Expensive watch always front of centre. Loves the trappings of CEO life even more than about 'making a difference'.
Grabban came across a total prick. Sulking because he got subbed after 65 minutes. Play fecking better then you cnut :houllier::rolleyes:
He's had ego issues most of his career. Would have come across a lot better had he reasoned his move away for the range of other reasons he could have picked rather than getting subbed off in one game. Thought McGeady had a point that Coleman's gamble on replacing Grabban didn't come off and he should have done more to manage the ego given how reliant they were on his goals.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Martin Bain, what a gimp.

"Are we playing poorly? Yes. Do I speak in pointless clichès? Yeah. Will I stop asking and answering my own questions? Never."

Josep Dowling

I was just checking Wikipedia about him and apparently he did modelling when he was younger. Quite how you become a model to an inept chief executive is a bit of a mystery.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
Did Rodwell do anything legally wrong? No.
Did his behaviour showed that he likes bigs checks far more than he likes football? Definitely.

So you might not blaming for fullfilling his contract despite a lot of the staff being let go, but you can blame him for being and hypocritical twat saying in interviews that he only wanted to play football because it's obviously false. He just wants his money.

We had the same problem in PSG with Ben Arfa. The club wanted to sell him, he didn't want to go because his salary would have been smaller so the club benched him for a year and here he was, saying that football was his life and he only wanted to play. Well man, if you want to play, just feckin leave and go play for another team. Or you can stay, it's your right, but then we'll all know that you love your check more than you love football.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
Did Rodwell do anything legally wrong? No.
Did his behaviour showed that he likes bigs checks far more than he likes football? Definitely.

So you might not blaming for fullfilling his contract despite a lot of the staff being let go, but you can blame him for being and hypocritical twat saying in interviews that he only wanted to play football because it's obviously false. He just wants his money.

We had the same problem in PSG with Ben Arfa. The club wanted to sell him, he didn't want to go because his salary would have been smaller so the club benched him for a year and here he was, saying that football was his life and he only wanted to play. Well man, if you want to play, just feckin leave and go play for another team. Or you can stay, it's your right, but then we'll all know that you love your check more than you love football.
If you were replaced at work and your boss said they legally couldn’t sack you without huge compensation to yourself so please find a worse paying job which entails you doing more work than your current job, would you leave?

All he had to do was show up to training for a few hours a week and get £££. After being told he’s not needed anymore despite him trying his best the previous year, I totally understand why anyone would choose to stay just to spite their boss, never mind being better off for it themselves.

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
If you were replaced at work and your boss said they legally couldn’t sack you without huge compensation to yourself so please find a worse paying job which entails you doing more work than your current job, would you leave?

All he had to do was show up to training for a few hours a week and get £££. After being told he’s not needed anymore despite him trying his best the previous year, I totally understand why anyone would choose to stay just to spite their boss, never mind being better off for it themselves.
You totally missed my point.

I've specifically said that he could stay, but that it was ridiculous to pretend in the media he really wanted to play football because it's obviously not true, otherwise he would have left.

I don't know what your job is but let's imagine it's your absolute passion and you current boss that pays you big bucks can't sack you but decide not to give you any work to do so you sit arround all day doing a whole lot of nothing. Well i'm pretty sure most people would accept a lesser position somewhere else just to be able to do what you like again.

If you don't really care about what you're doing, then it's fine to stay and keep the money but don't be an ass and pretend otherwise.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
You totally missed my point.

I've specifically said that he could stay, but that it was ridiculous to pretend in the media he really wanted to play football because it's obviously not true, otherwise he would have left.

I don't know what your job is but let's imagine it's your absolute passion and you current boss that pays you big bucks can't sack you but decide not to give you any work to do so you sit arround all day doing a whole lot of nothing. Well i'm pretty sure most people would accept a lesser position somewhere else just to be able to do what you like again.

If you don't really care about what you're doing, then it's fine to stay and keep the money but don't be an ass and pretend otherwise.

I don’t have a boss. Pretty much worked for myself and owned/sold several businesses since leaving Uni. But I’ve hired people and know enough about human psychology to not be naive enough to think everyone shares my passion and vision for my businesses.

You think his management team and PR company are going to allow him to state in public he’s happy to collect his wages and sit there? Of course he’s going to say he wants to play, it gives him options for when his contract runs out etc. There would also be so many clauses within his contract that may mean the club can’t afford to play him and that’s angered his team - he’s still not going to come out and call the club out for that and risk a fine, is he?

In his mind, he could think he’s still elite enough to warrant that type of salary - half of why professionals get to where they are is a level of arrogance and self belief that most people could never imagine possessing. They have an uncanny ability to block out all negativity towards them and truly believe their way is the best way - see Jose Mourinho :lol:

Lastly, how do you know football is his absolute passion? Just because it’s a lot of kids dreams to be a footballer doesn’t mean it’s every footballer’s dream. Look at Benoit Assou-Ekotto for example.

Vadim

They have more fans than City
Yeah love or hate em, Sunderland are a proper club.

Anyone else find the Chief Exec a bit of a cnut in this documentary? You could tell he wasn’t a very nice person.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
On episode 5 now.
Was laughing at Bain saying that Coleman was always first choice after they spent ages chasing Mccinnes from Aberdeen and he turned them down after talks.

Honeyman comes across really well.