Sunderland vs MUFC U21s - EFL Trophy

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

0-0 after 18 minutes although both teams have hit the post already.

Connor C

Does anyone have an idea of where Mateo Mejia is? Seems to be amongst the players that have mysteriously disappeared

AltiUn

Savage and Mee looking a bit nervous tonight, team in general has picked up in the last 10 minutes though.

Mickson

Poor team performance so far. McNeill and Hugill have not had great starts to their seasons and both look kind of lost today - can't hold off an opponent, can't run in the channels, can't press. Better in the end but United should win this comfortably considering the team Sunderland has put out there.

AltiUn

Been a competitive second half, Sunderland been good value for 2 goals if I'm being honest.

AltiUn

I hope with age and experience Fernandez's defensive ability improves, he's generally a fantastic footballer but the defensive side of his game could hold him back when stepping up to senior level. Not that he's done much wrong tonight, mind.

Norkett and Forson coming on.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Not seeing much in Savage if I'm honest. Hardley looks like he pairs up with Lindelof for heading practice.

Thought Mather looks like he'll be a tidy player.

Poor goal to concede but overall thought we looked quite positive, was a decent watch.

Mickson

Not seeing much in Savage if I'm honest. Hardley looks like he pairs up with Lindelof for heading practice.

Thought Mather looks like he'll be a tidy player.

Poor goal to concede but overall thought we looked quite positive, was a decent watch.
They'll be lucky if they make it as professionals. Both were semi-hyped last season but that was because they were one of the older ones in the U18 and therefore had it easier.

I don't agree with the positive performance. I thought United was really poor again. No control in midfield, no balance in the team and keep giving away goals. United faced a League One's U21 team...

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
They'll be lucky if they make it as professionals. Both were semi-hyped last season but that was because they were one of the older ones in the U18 and therefore had it easier.

I don't agree with the positive performance. I thought United was really poor again. No control in midfield, no balance in the team and keep giving away goals. United faced a League One's U21 team...
I agree, but that felt like Neil Woods fault, rather than the team out there. Maybe point a few fingers at the attackers, but I've tried to temper my criticism as I didn't think the team had any real protection through the middle.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
We are using it as experience, and while I agree we could/should have done better (certainly on chances created), Wood was trying a different formation in 442 which left Savage and Iqbal isolated in midfield at times. Hugill and McNeil both had off nights...it happens and having never played in a front two before they will learn from that. If they took their chances we could have won 5-2 or 6-2. That's football.

Iqbal showed quality all night and deserved his goal.

Mather, Norkett and Forson were all playing U/16 football last season so some good experience for those three as well.