Super League impact on academy players?

Bertie Wooster

There's many questions here of course. Mostly all depending on whether we remain in the PL or not which can't be answered now.

Obviously, even if we don't, we'll still need Academy / Development teams for the Super League youngsters.

One thing I wonder about is how much the club knew about the SL plans when we signed quite a lot of youngsters during pre'season (I can't imagine such a huge decision has been rushed) - all of whom now face question marks over their domestic and international future.

Not so much the Spanish ones, as they'd be in the same boat with Barcelona, Real and Atletico. And the same with McNeill from City.

But the likes of Hugill, Pye, Hansen, Kambwala - and even first team teenagers like Amad and Pellistri. It feels a bit wrong to have brought them in if the club thought the SL introduction was likely as it places those youngsters now in very unknown territory (I know that applies to senior players as well).

I know we did the European ones when we could because of Brexit, and the clubs hope they'll get to stay in the domestic leagues, and players still play internationally. But they can't have been surprised by the threats from the PL and UEFA, so, unless they warned these youngsters of the possibility (which I hugely doubt), was it a bit unfair to still go ahead with our academy rebuild - and to convince these youngsters to join - if the SL plans were already being heavily discussed in the background?

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
There's many questions here of course. Mostly all depending on whether we remain in the PL or not which can't be answered now.

Obviously, even if we don't, we'll still need Academy / Development teams for the Super League youngsters.

One thing I wonder about is how much the club knew about the SL plans when we signed quite a lot of youngsters during pre'season (I can't imagine such a huge decision has been rushed) - all of whom now face question marks over their domestic and international future.

Not so much the Spanish ones, as they'd be in the same boat with Barcelona, Real and Atletico. And the same with McNeill from City.

But the likes of Hugill, Pye, Hansen, Kambwala - and even first team teenagers like Amad and Pellistri. It feels a bit wrong to have brought them in if the club thought the SL introduction was likely as it places those youngsters now in very unknown territory (I know that applies to senior players as well).

I know we did the European ones when we could because of Brexit, and the clubs hope they'll get to stay in the domestic leagues, and players still play internationally. But they can't have been surprised by the threats from the PL and UEFA, so, unless they warned these youngsters of the possibility (which I hugely doubt), was it a bit unfair to still go ahead with our academy rebuild - and to convince these youngsters to join - if the SL plans were already being heavily discussed in the background?
Firstly I can't see all this happening. I reckon the six England clubs will backtrack. The FA won't do anything either because they are spineless and living in the 1930's.

However, theoretically if we create our own league we will be expelled by the FA, PL and UEFA. That would potentially mean:

1. No loans of young players to any other club apart from the 12 in Super League
2. No transfers from other clubs not in the Super League
3. However we could still attract young players from other teams with no affiliation with the FA (amateur clubs which almost never happens)
4. We would have to play Reserves and Youth teams against other clubs teams in the Super League.
5. The FA Academy system could expel us from the U/17, U/18 and U/23 competitions
6. The young players would not be selected for England U/15's (and other countries)
7. Any other club seen to be helping us in any way with youth development could have sanctions imposed
8. Potentially no player outside of Manchester would be willing to join us

But given how American franchises rarely use any form of Academy the Glazers won't care anyway.

Worst case scenario I guess.

Who knows