Superga Air Disaster Anniversary

Erebus

They were talking about this on the European Football show last night. Tragic. RIP.

MoskvaRed

I always think the Superga disaster, aside from the human tragedy, puts clear perspective on the post-Munich United story. Torino never really regained their position in Italian football and are now just another mid-size club. We tend to read history backwards but United could easily have gone the same way after 1958. I guess the key factor was that Busby survived (and Jimmy Murphy did not travel) while Torino lost basically all playing and coach staff. Anyway, RIP Il Grande Torino.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Lievesley

An Englishman Leslie Lieveley was the first team coach. He played for United for a short while in the 30s.

Following the war he became a coach in the Netherlands at Heracles Almelo, then in 1947, after turning down an offer from Marseille in France, transferred to Italian club Torino[3] as youth team coach.[1] He coached the Italian national team at the 1948 summer Olympicsand became first-team coach at Torino that year.[1] In 1949 he had been offered a contract to coach rival team Juventus,[1] when on 4 May he was one of 31 fatalities in the Superga air disaster that killed almost the entire Torino squad, when they were in the process of winning the Serie A title.

Pav1878

RIP Torino Grande

We should do more in way of remembrance with Torino, considering our own tragic history.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
5 scudetti in a row, almost 7 Years unbeaten run at home, One double, 11 National players. Without WW2 they would have won much more and if there had been the European cups the palmares of the Torino fc would be superb. Only the fate defeat them.

LoSpritz

RIP Torino Grande

We should do more in way of remembrance with Torino, considering our own tragic history.
It’s true, we share a unique history and more should be made of it.

I’m visiting the stadium this week, I usually leave an old United shirt or scarf. I know I’m not the only one because I see others that have been left.

Uniquim

I've read a lot about this Torino side in the past, including a book on Erbstein's role before, during and after the war. Sounds like they were an incredible side. You wonder just how good they could've become in the longer run, and how they would fare in the European Cup.

I'm glad they're still mentioned, and remembered.

Dennis Viollet

The reverse .Rossi
72 years ago today.

Grande Torino never forgotten always remembered

5 league titles won in a row , 6 consecutive years unbeaten at home
11 regular players in the Italian national team
First Italian side to won a double.
Most consecutive home games without defeat: 88, between 1943 and 1949.
Most scoring in a single season : 125, (1947-1948)