Television Supernatural | TV Show

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
The first few seasons with monster of the week episodes are genuinely brilliant. When they start focusing too much on a big arc then it all goes a bit shit, just like X-files.
This. I wouldnt say it was shit though. Still one of my favorite shows. Its never boring.

parkthebuslads

The monster of the week episodes have been unwatchable for as long as I can remember. Just lazy, predictable and boring; nothing more than fan fiction.

I still enjoy the arc episodes but the show could benefit from some new characters. There's a limit to what the brothers have to offer and they have probably reached it.

The potential spin off sounds terrible. I would love to hear from the people who apparantly have been demanding more Jody Mills :lol:.

cyberman

Holy crap this is still going?
Do they still rely on possessed regulars to save on budget and actual new characters?

prath92

Couldn’t get past season 6. They were making it up as it goes at the time.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The first few seasons with monster of the week episodes are genuinely brilliant. When they start focusing too much on a big arc then it all goes a bit shit, just like X-files.
Thats why I stopped watching.

I got my missus in to it when we first got together (11 years ago!) and shes watched it religiously ever since.

I think part of the appeal now though is that everyone involved in the show, and the fans now just view the show as a bit of a joke, its full of in jokes, call backs fan service etc.

It was great when it was a semi serious monster of the week show about the two guys hunting down their missing demon killing dad, but once that ark was finished it jumped the shark for me.

lsd

The Oracle
Scoobynatural was quite good...

Yeah? I wanna watch that but I'm a season behind and kinda lost interest and don't like watching things out of order .

Also explains why I'm currently suffering through season 9 of X Files so I can't get to the new seasons and that is a dire dire season

lsd

The Oracle
Just got renewed for Season 14! Thats insane.

Jenson and Jarod are best friends in real life too so they still probably do this as long as they can. Getting paid to hang out having fun doing something you enjoy .Perfect life

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

Jenson and Jarod are best friends in real life too so they still probably do this as long as they can. Getting paid to hang out having fun doing something you enjoy .Perfect life
And they have generally avoided the one thing that kills most CW shows, a massive fecking love story

cyberman

Whats left for them to do? They've defeated the devil / God / his sister ffs!
The stakes naturally have to get smaller. A personal, contained, story arch would be a welcome change of pace.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
I recently went right back to the beginning. I’ve just finished season 1 and thoroughly enjoyed it again.

I wonder whether they will ever bring back Jeffrey Dean Morgan? He was awesome as John Winchester.

Big Andy

Bloke
I recently went right back to the beginning. I’ve just finished season 1 and thoroughly enjoyed it again.

I wonder whether they will ever bring back Jeffrey Dean Morgan? He was awesome as John Winchester.
Last episode I reckon will alter the past so that Mary never died, John was never a hunter and the entire series will never happen...

Big Andy

Bloke
Anyone watched S14? Felt the ending was a bit weird, but they seem to have gotten additional budget for the FX.
Got a couple of episodes left to watch in s14...

I'm a bit gutted its finishing, as I do enjoy it, but it got a bit daft years ago...so I think it's time...

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Still one more season to go, right? Heard it's release date is Oct 2019.
Yep, that’s the usual time it starts.

For me the first 5 seasons were the best the next 5 were average, they got a new show runner and the last 4 were really good. They got the formula right to keep it going so long and that was no love interest.

Andersons Dietician

I’ve just recently started watching this. I mean it’s been on for years and I’ve always meant to watch it but I kept putting it off due to not liking the two leads, but I’ve struggled through the first 2 seasons, and I really mean struggled. Normally this would be right up my street but I really can’t get in to it.

lsd

The Oracle
I’ve just recently started watching this. I mean it’s been on for years and I’ve always meant to watch it but I kept putting it off due to not liking the two leads, but I’ve struggled through the first 2 seasons, and I really mean struggled. Normally this would be right up my street but I really can’t get in to it.

Would be hard if you don't take to the two leads . Personally I think it's the relationship between them that makes the show successful

You could hang on a couple more seasons till Castiel and Crowley appear perhaps

Andersons Dietician

Would be hard if you don't take to the two leads . Personally I think it's the relationship between them that makes the show successful

You could hang on a couple more seasons till Castiel and Crowley appear perhaps
So I’ve pushed thought to the 4th season now. 4x18 to be exact and I am enjoying it more but it’s not something that I’ve been truly focused on it’s just kind of on whilst I do other things.

Sam is so damn annoying but I’m coming around to Dean.

Ace of Spades

Need to catch up on this, heard that this will be the final season. I think I will re-watch the entire series from the start to get ready for it.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Caught up on seasons 12-14 last week. Started 15 tonight, this is my favorite show ever.

The woman in white still scares the shit out of me every time.

lsd

The Oracle
Caught up on seasons 12-14 last week. Started 15 tonight, this is my favorite show ever.

The woman in white still scares the shit out of me every time.

Thats still my favourite episode . Im just starting season 14 looking to catch up soon

Big Andy

Bloke
Thoughts on the last episode? Pretty much the last proper story arc episode, tying everything up, with one final "goodbye" episode to go...

evil_geko

That Supernatural finale was pretty bad. To end such a long series that lasted for 15 years with such a badly written episode, it takes some talent.

Even though 19th episode had lots of problems, I will just pretend the series ended there.

The situation where Dean died and everything surrounding it felt so forced. The old Sam with that cheap wig looked terrible. I know COVID influenced the finale but that was really disappointing.

Last edited:

Dante

Average bang
I really liked the finale. It fits in well with the 15 seasons that preceded it. If you wanted an epic showpiece, I can see why you might be disappointed. But the ending made sense to me on a lot of levels. I think it will work particularly well at the end of a big binge when people go back to watch it years from now.

Dean got the ending he'd always expected, Sam got the ended he'd always wanted. Neither had realised on how empty they'd feel without the other in that scenario, so the writers wanted to explore how that might play out. Maybe a bit melodramatic, but I don't think there was any other way to wrap up a story like this. The show needed to present both brothers as ultimately mortal in order to make the narrative from season 1 episode 1 work retrospectively.

The first death scene was because the brothers had lost their plot armour without Chuck, so I think the anti-climactic nature of it was the right move for a series where the characters had evaded death so improbably so many times.

Episode 19 did the big wrap up if you were more interested in the season long arcs. But I liked the reflective nature of the of episode 20.

After 15 years, it was appropriate for Supernatural to finish out the series on a feeling of loss, vulnerability but still a smidgen of hope. It was like holding up a mirror to the viewer in that respect. Anything more fan-servicey would have a been a cop out, imo.

Last edited:

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I really liked the finale. It fits in well with the 15 seasons that preceded it. If you wanted an epic showpiece, I can see why you might be disappointed. But the ending made sense to me on a lot of levels. I think it will work particularly well at the end of a big binge when people go back to watch it years from now.

Dean got the ending he'd always expected, Sam got the ended he'd always wanted. Neither had realised on how empty they'd feel without the other in that scenario, so the writers wanted to explore how that might play out. Maybe a bit melodramatic, but I don't think there was any other way to wrap up a story like this. The show needed to present both brothers as ultimately mortal in order to make the narrative from season 1 episode 1 work retrospectively.

The first death scene was because the brothers had lost their plot armour without Chuck, so I think the anti-climactic nature of it was the right move for a series where the characters had evaded death so improbably so many times.

Episode 19 did the big wrap up if you were more interested in the season long arcs. But I liked the reflective nature of the of episode 20.

After 15 years, it was appropriate for Supernatural to finish out the series on a feeling of loss, vulnerability but still a smidgen of hope. It was like holding up a mirror to the viewer in that respect. Anything more fan-servicey would have a been a cop out, imo.
When dean died I did tear up a bit, I agree with you that there was no script to follow anymore, but I’ve seen that death so often in crap films, I think dean deserved a knife through his chest not iron rod, saying that I didn’t expect him to die I expected him to search out Lisa to settle down again.

i would’ve liked to have seen the pre COVID finally, guaranteed there would have been more of the cast there and probably a better finish for Sam showing his wife and better makeup, should of been a 2 hour episode

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Whose cutting all the damn onions in the room!

Boys, genuinely crying here, 15 years, thank you for being there for me all the time.

Big Andy

Bloke
New prequel series for this starts soon. Can't decide if it's going to be great or shite.

Currently doing a re-watch of Supernatural as well, enjoying watching the older series that I've not seen in years.