Support David Moyes thread

Danny_

The Albert Einstein of Economics
"I would like to remind you this club stood by me in bad times, the players and the staff," he said.

"Your job now is to stand by the new manager."

Discuss.

Rednails

My job is to support Manchester United and it is clear that Moyes is not up to the job. Therefore I shall ignore SAF's instruction. He's got to go.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
I'm all for standing by managers where there are signs that they are getting things right and that the players are still pulling for them. Name anything you are seeing right now that gives that impression?

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I want to support him, however its obvious that it would be a stupid thing to do.

Kaos

Being 5th and showing signs of playing good football, I'd back Moyes for the remainder of his contract.

Being 7th, drawing at home to the worst time in the league, resorting to 80, EIGHTY crosses in a game - I'll stand by the good of the club, not David Moyes.

prateik

Sacking him now does nothing. We aren't getting 4th.
See out the season. Re-evaluate in the summer.

The manager has to take a lot of the blame, but the players have been awful..

This season is a write off.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
This is an interesting experiment in the human psychological predisposition to blind faith.

girish

I too love women...for their shoes.
I support the sacking of David Moyes.

There is nothing he's shown by far suggests that he could take this club forward. None of his so called tactics has worked in our favour and he's made the same mistakes every game. and He's keeping on making them week in week out.

Castia

I'm sure when SAF made that speech he could have predicted a below par season with all the change and transition but this is something else, even a worst case scenario didn't look this grim.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The problem with this is that you basically end up having mindless belief and refuse to question normal logic which all suggests there is nothing about Moyes which suggests he's the right man for the job.

If he had us in 17th, would we still have to follow that principle? If we had appointed Vincent Tan as our manager, would we still have to "give him time" when it'd be clear he's not good enough to be the manager?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
I'm all for standing by managers where there are signs that they are getting things right and that the players are still pulling for them. Name anything you are seeing right now that gives that impression?
This completely. If results are terrible, then you have to see progress in other areas to justify it. Short term pain for long term gain. Unfortunately, results are terrible AND we've regressed in terms of playing style etc. Moyes hasn't given us a single reason to support him through incredibly trying times.

A LOT of people were terrified at the thought of him being our manager; long before he was offered the job, and Moyes has only shown us exactly why so many thought he'd be a terrible choice: no winning record, lack of big game mentality, out dated tactics.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree with Rednails, I support Manchester United, not David Moyes or Sir Alex for that matter.I now believe Moyes leaving would be in the best interests of Manchester United. Not wanting him to go would be sort of like self-harming.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Sorry, but I am a Manchester United fan, not a David Moyes fan. While Fergie had good sentiment intended in that speech it was ultimately wrong. Also, I don't even think Sir Alex thought it would be this bad when he made that speech.

kps88

Sacking him now does nothing. We aren't getting 4th.
See out the season. Re-evaluate in the summer.

The manager has to take a lot of the blame, but the players have been awful..

This season is a write off.
If we're going to sack him in the summer then we might as well do it now. Would give his replacement the luxury of a write off season to get to know the team. Would also be considerably less pressure on him since I can't imagine it will be too hard to improve things.

Dobba

If the club does sack him, it better be at the same time as releasing at least 4 players who have served up the same old shit everytime they've put on the shirt this season.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
"I would like to remind you this club stood by me in bad times, the players and the staff," he said.

Discuss.
Still standing.

I will say it is looking grim, but I have faith in the senior management of the club, that they have a long term view of things, and they won't be bothered too much by minor perturbations. 2 years.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Rednails is 100% right.

We're United fans first and foremost, why should we blindly follow Fergie's rhetoric when his man is damaging the club we support more and more each week?

Kaos

I'm pretty sure when Sir Alex made that speech he feared United fans might turn against him if we were around 4th in the table, not frickin 7th. Not even him and Sir Bobby would have imagined it to be this bad I wager.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The situation is eerily similar to the one Frank O'Farrell found himself in back in the '70s.

Obviously a very good manager having proved his worth elsewhere, he's finding it difficult to impose his ideas on a squad used to playing under a legendary manager and who may be proving quite stubborn in adopting and responding to the new man's methods.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football

Discuss.
My job now is to support Manchester United and not Alex Ferguson. Hyper-Feck off Moyes.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
The situation is eerily similar to the one Frank O'Farrell found himself in back in the '70s.

Obviously a very good manager having proved his worth elsewhere, he's finding it difficult to impose his ideas on a squad used to playing under a legendary manager and who may be proving quite stubborn in adopting and responding to the new man's methods.
He's a very good mid-table manager, like Hodgson. That's it.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
How many tens of millions will it cost to sack him though? Less than we'll lose being out of the CL, but that's happening anyway. I can see them giving him a second season.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Nobody is more important than the club, not even the manager. If the manager is harming the club, it should be in every supporter´s interest to show him the door.

Blue always red

Obviously he should be supported up to the point where they get rid of him, if it comes to that but it doesn't mean he should be devoid of criticism. 80 crosses in 1 game yielding 2 goals, 1 of which was very lucky. How can a manager leading the biggest club in the world not change something? Throwing Adnan and Chicha was a desperate ploy in the hope that someone bundles the ball over the line.

Moyes has got more in his locker, much more but he's just not doing it at the minute. He's doing things he rarely did at Everton, like throwing in 6 forwards in the hope one of them does something. Much of it, in my opinion, is down to the media, fans and pundits pressuring him into playing attacking football and claiming he's too defensive minded. If this is the case, it begs the question of whether his mentality is strong enough to be managing a top team with the highest of expectations.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You can support him while he's here and still hope for a better replacement if things aren't improving at all. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah I'm a United supporter, and I want what is best for the club. Why support Moyes if I have absolutely no confidence or faith in him that he can turn it around, get us playing good football or winning trophies? The best decision for Manchester united both long and short term IMO would be for him to be sacked.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I don't understand how he can succeed here, it's obvious he's no real idea how to play attacking football, summed up today with 82 crosses and nothing else.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Being 5th and showing signs of playing good football, I'd back Moyes for the remainder of his contract.

Being 7th, drawing at home to the worst time in the league, resorting to 80, EIGHTY crosses in a game - I'll stand by the good of the club, not David Moyes.
Exactly how I feel too.

LARulz

Sacking him now is no help to anyone as 4th is out. So we make a decision then.

This season however is unacceptable. Did anybody see us struggling to this degree? I very very much doubt that if you told any United fan that they'd be in this position at the start of the season they would have said "Its OK, its his first year". I'm convinced the vast majority would say he should be gone if that was the case.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
Keeping him would certainly be no help either.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Sure, I'm still behind him. And even if I had zero confidence in him ever becoming a worthy United manager I wouldn't simply call for his head at this stage. Who's to replace him? Going down the caretaker route makes no sense unless he's completely lost the players. And getting a suitable, permanent replacement in at this point seems extremely unlikely.