Surprise package of the tournament?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Who's it going to be then? Last time out Wales were Semi finalists and Iceland of course got to quarters and not many were predicting either. Portugal winning also seen as a shock although less so than the other two with the talent they still had.

Fancy Ukraine to do quite well and get to perhaps quarters. In a reasonably light group and with this format many outside teams can make knock outs compared to other euros before 2016 and so it's then a nothing to lose mentality and all it takes is one good performance in knock outs and you're in quarters.

Ukraine picked up some really good results in last few years (drew with France in March) and overall Shevchenko done a very good job even if their 11 dosen't look as strong as when he play upfront for them.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
Turkey have had some impressive results in the last year or so and will be well equipped to stage a shock or two. With them potentially facing teams from Group B and C in the Ro16 stage (both groups look average enough), there’s every possibility they make the quarter-finals at least.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
England to win it

Pickle85

:lol:

England will be lucky to qualify from their group
Hahahaha - it really should be a breeze. Scotland and Czech Rep are dreadful. Croatia are the only test there. Now watch us somehow contrive to prove me wrong.

slored1

Denmark. They are very strong and expect them to be a pain in the arse for anyone.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Hahahaha - it really should be a breeze. Scotland and Czech Rep are dreadful. Croatia are the only test there. Now watch us somehow contrive to prove me wrong.
Scotland win be alot tougher than you think. Southgate will fk things up and allow Scotland to qualify :lol:

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Now the OP included a category for dark horses. My prediction in that regard is Denmark. In the Uefa Nations League defeat to Belgium, they matched them for possession, had more corners. In the draw against England, both sides missed 2 big chances, and Denmark had 11 shots in total compared to England's 6. In the return game, where they beat England, they had more possession, and equal amount of corners. In the return game (defeat) against Belgium the possession was 51% in Belgiums favour, and managed a respectable 5 corners. Strong tournaments from Højbjerg, Schmiechel, and Eriksen could make them be one of the surprise packages.
Made the post quoted before the Germany game today.

At the time of this post, Denmark are drawing 1-1 with Germany with 6 minutes to go.

AshRK

Italy may actually do well and reach till semis and even beyond that.

Pickle85

Scotland win be alot tougher than you think. Southgate will fk things up and allow Scotland to qualify :lol:
Never an easy game for us, to be fair - your lot will be well up for it. Would be impressive if you get out of the group, though things haven't gone brilliantly recently (World Cup qualis and Nations League)

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Never an easy game for us, to be fair - your lot will be well up for it. Would be impressive if you get out of the group, though things haven't gone brilliantly recently (World Cup qualis and Nations League)
Maybe we (Scotland) will shock the world and qualify from the group.

I think we will give England a tough game just because its Eng/Sco but I think the other two may possibly have too much for us.
Our goal keepers are atrocious especially Craig Gordon. Other than that we have a decent team.

Pickle85

Maybe we (Scotland) will shock the world and qualify from the group.

I think we will give England a tough game just because its Eng/Sco but I think the other two may possibly have too much for us.
Our goal keepers are atrocious especially Craig Gordon. Other than that we have a decent team.
It seems like they've got a good spirit about them and there also look to be some nice players for the future in there. Definitely one of the strongest Scotland sides we've seen in a while. As you say, though, bit of a shame about the keeper situation. Whatever happens, it's going to be an interesting game and good to have you lot back in a major tournament (though goes without saying I hope we humiliate you, ya bagpipe toting cnuts :D)

Wayne's World

I'm not sure you can call them a surprise package but I think Italy will go very close to winning this, don't think I've heard there name mentioned once as a potential winner

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
It seems like they've got a good spirit about them and there also look to be some nice players for the future in there. Definitely one of the strongest Scotland sides we've seen in a while. As you say, though, bit of a shame about the keeper situation. Whatever happens, it's going to be an interesting game and good to have you lot back in a major tournament (though goes without saying I hope we humiliate you, ya bagpipe toting cnuts :D)
Hahaha

Look we both know, England v Scotland is the biggest fixture in World football so I fully expect the Scots to rip yous a new a*hole, whilst in 2nd gear.

Pickle85

Hahaha

Look we both know, England v Scotland is the biggest fixture in World football so I fully expect the Scots to rip yous a new a*hole, whilst in 2nd gear.
Hahahaha - oh it's ON! I'll see you in here in a month my friend.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'm not sure you can call them a surprise package but I think Italy will go very close to winning this, don't think I've heard there name mentioned once as a potential winner
Going under the radar a fair bit due to not seeing them in a tournament for a while. Far far stronger squad than what they had in 2016 when should've got to the SF under Conte.

Nice mix of youth and experience this time and likes of Chiesa ended the season very strongly. Just not sure how good the forwards will be. I mean Immobile scores millions every season in Serie A but not sure he's as effective at international level.

Only other CF is Belotti and rest are wide forwards looking at what they've called up today,

Yagami

Good post resistant
Dunno about being a "surprise package" but I'm keeping an eye on Slovakia. Especially Lobotka who's had z disastrous spell at Napoli so far.

RoyH1

Denmark. They are very strong and expect them to be a pain in the arse for anyone.
This. Even when they play meh, they are so hard to beat. Their defense and Schmeichel really don't let people score a lot of goals.

Devil81

Am I going insane, I thought Italy drew with Sweden at home so didn't make it????

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Ukraine would be my choice as well. Nice group & they seem to have a bunch of good young players.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I think the winner of Switzerland vs Turkey game has a real chance of going far. Assuming that team finishes 2nd in the group, they'll face one of Denmark or Russia in Ro16, and the winner of that game ight play Germany or Hollland - two beatable teams in QF

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Finland are already springing a surprise to me by virtue of having players in their squad named Rob Taylor and Danny O'Shaughnessy.

Luke1995

How is Russia looking these days ? It would be amazing if they did something similar to Euro 2008 or the 2018 WC.

Mr. Ant

Dunno about being a "surprise package" but I'm keeping an eye on Slovakia. Especially Lobotka who's had z disastrous spell at Napoli so far.
I doubt that. We don't score enough goals. Our best finisher got injured in the last friendly.
Lobotka is a very good player but obviously didn't play enough at Napoli and he's not in form based on the last matches. Our defence is basically just Škriniar and Dúbravka.

We will be very lucky if we qualify out of the group imo.

Demyanenko_square_jaw

How is Russia looking these days ? It would be amazing if they did something similar to Euro 2008 or the 2018 WC.
Average team and in a transitional moment between generations. Cherchesov seems to have run out of ideas over the last year (and he didn't have many to begin with) but the team has had a lot of injury problems to be fair to him. Few of the young players that have shown potential since 2018 have steadily improved, lots have already had serious injuries or become injury-prone. Chalov, who had the best breakthrough season, hadn't kicked on since and doesn't even make the squad.

It's a team that is steady and organised enough , so that it is yet to slip up against teams that are obviously weaker, but has not been able to step up and get any surprising wins. it also has now shown a consistent tendency of losing important games against teams on the same rough level, with failed late games in back to back nations league campaigns against Sweden, Turkey and Serbia where winning just one would have seen qualification to the A tier. There's also the recent World Cup qualifiers trio where after beating Malta and Slovenia, a win against a struggling and out of form Slovakia would have almost taken Slovakia out of contention already. Russia lost and didn't show much urgency imo, which keeps the group wide open.

Defence is the biggest problem. Mostly slow, mediocre players and the standout Mario Fernandes is starting to slow down/become more inconsistent due to wear and tear. He plays constantly for cska whenever anywhere near full fitness.

I'd expect a third place in the group. Denmark from what i have watched seem like a better, steadier version of Russia that have managed to become more than the sum of the parts where Russia haven't. Against Belgium i think cherchesov will play overly defensively, the tactical setup against Poland a few days ago seemed a rehearsal for this. He got burned trying to be more aggressive against them in the 4-1 qualifying loss, where despite plenty of possession Russia were cut through easily by counters and the defenders couldn't cope with the Hazard brothers pace. Finland are always very motivated against Russia, i'd much rather have got North Macedonia from the "minnows"