Sven-Göran Eriksson as England manager - what's the verdict a decade later?

Discussion in 'Football Forum' started by horsechoker, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Mar 21, 2017

SCP Full Member

Supports:
    Sporting Clube Portugal
    Inspired Michels yes, but Michels developed it, but the breakup of WM was done by Hungarians.

Yes he was, but Hidegkuti was important when he played as a false 9 who really was an number 10 and finished with WM, of course Di Stefano was great, but Hidegkuti is very underrated in my opinion.

I agree with you, as I said on other posts I do not think their squad was better than the one who was at Mexico 86 or Italia 90, if anything Sven exploited well their potential.

Speaking about formations and squads at the tournament:

Portugal: Ricardo, Miguel, Carvalho, Andrade, Valente, Costinha, Deco, Maniche, Figo, Ronaldo, Pauleta.

The bolded players won Uefa Cup and Champions League with Mou, and we also had an player like Rui Costa who was not at his prime but could come out of the bench to change the match against England.
  2. Mar 21, 2017

Treble_Winning New Member

Yes, I remember that Turkey team. It wasn't the best footballing team but was "annoying" because it was efficient, well drilled, well organized and difficult to break down, much like present-day Atlético Madrid. It also had some really good players like Basturk, Emre and Hasan Sas, I wonder why they didn't do better at club level.

Brazil did have to beat Germany in the final though, and Ronaldo totally dominated that game.

The front three of Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho was truly ridiculous. All three of them were truly "crack" players who won the Ballon d'Or / FIFA World POTY. I do honestly think that front three was better than the present-day Barcelona front three. The full backs, Roberto Carlos and Cafu, were also ridiculous.

It was no shame for Eriksson's England to lose to this team.
  3. Mar 21, 2017

redflair Full Member

It is. But most English players have technical deficiencies, particuarly in short passing and laying the ball off, that are magnified in a slower, summer tournament that doesn't quite play to their strengths of running hard, pace and a naturalised intensity.

I want England to do well but you either need players with a passing culture ie Bobby Charlton, Scholes, Sheringham, Gascoigne - or you need to develop players with a better grasp of the short game ie patience, recycle the ball, pass and move etc... The players I've mentioned seem to appear once in a blue moon - and the latter is a pipedream with the current bunch we have.

(Although they might still surprise us in Russia).
  4. Mar 21, 2017

The Outsider New Member

Supports:
    Chelsea
    I always felt watching England under Sven we rarely played as a team and agree that either Lampard or Beckham should have been sacrificed for a natural defensive CM.

I also recall hearing that playing for England Rooney never scored against top international opposition.
  5. Mar 22, 2017

Champagne Football Full Member

This 532 formation should have been used to accommodate everyone and a better manager than Sven should have been in charge such as a Hoddle, a Lippi, a Hitzfeld or a Hiddink.

--------------------James-----------------
    -------------Rio-----Sol-------Terry-------
    Neville---------------------------------Cole
    ------Beckham---Gerrard---Lampard---
    -----------Scholes-----Rooney/Owen----
  6. Mar 22, 2017

SirAF Ageist

I never understood that! :lol:

I think he was decent for England though.
  7. Mar 22, 2017

NinjaZombie Punched the air when Liverpool beat City

He was a weak manager who selected players based on reputations. Should've done better with the players available to him.
  8. Mar 22, 2017

K2K Full Member

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
    He did better than any England manager since but had better players than any England manager since.

It's an interesting conundrum.
  9. Mar 22, 2017

tonysoprano New Member

overated in my opinion. Lived off the 5-1 demolition of Germany his whole time in charge. Guilty of playing Scholes on the wing when better managers would have built their team around him in centre mid. Should have won something with the players he had
  10. Mar 22, 2017

giorno Full Member

Supports:
    Real Madrid
    Like what? He went out to a better team in 2002, the host on penalties in 2004 and portugal agsin on penalties in 2006. His fault english players can't win a penalty shootout?

I mean he managed england, not the 1982 Beazil, ffs
  11. Mar 22, 2017

Devil81 Full Member

Failed with the players he had at his disposal, easily our best squad since 66.
  12. Oct 14, 2019

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

13. Oct 14, 2019

12OunceEpilogue Full Member Scout

I assume he meant 'kill' Sven's football career? :nervous: I think Sven kind of did that himself by being not very good.

It just shows you the lack of power club coaches have. Even Fergie had little option but to rant and rave down the phone when he justifiably wanted Rooney to recover rather than play more football.
  14. Oct 14, 2019

André Dominguez Full Member

Supports:
    Benfica, Académica
    He had a good starting 11 at his disposal, but the team lacked a rabbit in top hat from the bench that other teams seemed to have.

But the GK position was a liability TBH and Michael Owen was already physically damaged at 24 y.o. due to a rush recovery he did when he was young that caused him recurring injuries through his whole career, leaving you guys to go with solutions like Heskey, Vassel, Crouch, etc,
  15. Oct 14, 2019

Samid follows Pogue around, fixing his images

Still think Fergie was somewhat successful in managing to create an "us vs them" culture amongst his players. The likes of Giggs only getting 60 odd caps is proof of that.
  16. Oct 14, 2019

Acole9 Outstanding

Rooney shouldn't have gone to that World Cup.
  17. Oct 14, 2019

12OunceEpilogue Full Member Scout

Yeah he was well-known for giving regular hairdryers to national team coaches, and I'm sure it was useful for us to have certain managers 'persuaded' to leave our players to recover over international breaks. But what Sven demonstrated is that if you're willing to stay the course not even Fergie can stop you from naming a player.
  18. Oct 14, 2019

FootballHQ Full Member

Supports:
    Aston Villa
    Interesting with the debate about how well England played at 2018 world cup....I thought the football England played at 2004 and 2006 was pretty dreadful.

2002 was good though and that was a nice period when he first took charge. Obviously 5-1 in Germany was top class and the high point of his reign. Also at World cup beating Argentina 1-0 and playing really well in that game (remember Sheringham having a volley saved after 20 touch passing move) and then comfortably defeated Denmark who'd just knocked France out and had a really solid team.

Unlucky to then meet Brazil rather than get Germany's path to the final, could've shown a bit more belief once Ronaldinho got sent off (remember Southgate comparing him to Ian Duncan Smith :lol:) but I wouldn't fault him too much.

After that the football gradually got worse. 2004 was really all about Rooney, France didn't have a clue how to handle him in the 1st game and neither did Swiss or Croatia (although that was probably worst Croatia NT I've ever seen).

In the Portugal game IIRC the flow was England scoring very early, Rooney then getting injured and England pretty much 18 yard box defending for rest of the game. In those times England had ridiculous strength at defence and in midfield but not much upfront beyond Rooney and Owen, had Vassell and Heskey getting loads of caps in that period.

From that England moved to just individualism really. No great football but just waiting for any of Beckham, Lampard, Owen or Rooney to pop up with a goal.

Sven was actually getting panned before that World cup. In September 2005 were pretty lucky to beat Wales 1-0 and then lost dismally 1-0 in Belfast to Norn Iron. This is before they got reasonanbly competitive:

At the World cup I remember England scraping past Paraguay 1-0 (set piece own goal), taking 80 minutes to score v Trinidad and Tobago and then Sweden outplaying England.

Then got past Ecuador with another set piece goal (sound familar?) and then it all ended on penalties to bogey team Portugal.

His selection in that World cup was also odd. England only selected 4 strikers, one was just turned 17 and never played (Theo Walcott), Rooney was just coming back from an injury and never looked fit, Owen had his injuries and was declining as top level striker and then did his ACL in Sweden game so were just left punting long balls up to Crouch and he'd only been at Liverpool for a year at that point so had little experience of top level.

For all the talent not even making a semi fiinal was pretty disappointing and I'd certainly rank the first half of his 6 years in charge as much better.