Swap deals?

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I know that swap deals are unpopular with fans and the club. However considering that covid had basically ruined every club's finances then I think it could be an option we shouldn't ignore. Some of these swap deals are indeed fascinating for example Pogba for Varane would be indeed interesting. We want Varane, Real want Pogba and Pogba wants to leave. We might involve Lingard in a deal for Rice or Dalot in a deal for Kessie or Romagnoli. What do you think?

Bondi77

I am always up for swaps so long as we get the better deal :drool:

Andersons Dietician

An issue might be that surely a lot of these guys have bonuses tied in to their moves. I know Riaola will have as that’s how he makes his money. He’ll be due a percentage of any Pogba sale or have signing bonuses or something. Which would probably make a trade like That difficult. If he waits a year Pogba could leave United for nothing and he could probably charge a 40-50 mil signing on fee.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'd do a Pogba - Varane swap deal. I like Pogba but i think we are likely to get Sancho and he'd go back to the double pivot where he's just being wasted there so there's no point keeping him

Bwuk

I think Pogba being at the club is probably part of the reason Varane would even sign for us.

Ekeke

I know that swap deals are unpopular with fans and the club. However considering that covid had basically ruined every club's finances then I think it could be an option we shouldn't ignore. Some of these swap deals are indeed fascinating for example Pogba for Varane would be indeed interesting. We want Varane, Real want Pogba and Pogba wants to leave. We might involve Lingard in a deal for Rice or Dalot in a deal for Kessie or Romagnoli. What do you think?
Pogba for Varane would be as bad as Nani + money for Rojo

devilish

Pogba for Varane would be as bad as Nani + money for Rojo
I disagree. I rate Pogba highly but in my opinion his Manchester United's career ended the moment we bought Bruno. The guy simply can't play in a deeper role. I also doubt that Pogba wants to remain with us either so if he does sign a contract it would be on ridiculous salary.

Varane on the other hand is a top quality CB that we need.

devilish

I think Pogba being at the club is probably part of the reason Varane would even sign for us.
If that's the case then Varane is stupid as Pogba had made it quite clear that he favours a move.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
They do happen, its just a lot of the time they are made out to be seperate transactions. Perhaps for balancing the books reasons, who knows. Player A goes to club for 25, Player B goes opposite way for 20 etc

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Surely Pogba is worth more than Varane in the last year of his contract. They’d have to include some cash as well.

Idxomer

Surely Pogba is worth more than Varane in the last year of his contract. They’d have to include some cash as well.
Of course, he is but this is the caf we love to overrate other teams' players and underrate ours.

Ekeke

I disagree. I rate Pogba highly but in my opinion his Manchester United's career ended the moment we bought Bruno. The guy simply can't play in a deeper role. I also doubt that Pogba wants to remain with us either so if he does sign a contract it would be on ridiculous salary.

Varane has had 2 very good seasons and an international competition other than thats hes been average other than 18/19 where he was a disaster. Another season without a title win in La Liga playing for Real Madrid

Pep's Suit

Personally I think Pogba's worth more than Varane. 40-50M x 30-35M.

Red_toad

Swap everyone for wads of cash, then get the owners to repair the stadium, as it's a feckin disgrace.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Both player's contracts are set to expire in June 2022 according to Transfermarkt. Both are 28 years old and great in their respective positions. I don't think it's that bad of a deal.
Shit I didn’t know Pogba was coming into his last year, I thought he had another 2. Bit of a crossroads then this summer.

devilish

Varane has had 2 very good seasons and an international competition other than thats hes been average other than 18/19 where he was a disaster. Another season without a title win in La Liga playing for Real Madrid
Pogba has Mino Raiola as an agent and is few months away from getting his hands on a ridiculous signing on fee worth tens of millions. There are 3 course of actions here all favouring the player. Pogba might leave now on peanuts, he might linger here for the next few months were rest assured he'll take very good care of himself to avoid injury or he will get a ridiculous salary for a contract extension. Of course Real are on the same boat with Varane. Which makes me wonder whether we can work together to both end up leaving this silly situation while rescuing some of our dignity. Varane would move to United, Pogba would move to Real and both clubs would be spared from the embarrassment of losing players on a free or/and having to pay the silly signing on fee these players would be asking as free agents.

gajender

Pogba has Mino Raiola as an agent and is few months away from getting his hands on a ridiculous signing on fee worth tens of millions. There are 3 course of actions here all favouring the player. Pogba might leave now on peanuts, he might linger here for the next few months were rest assured he'll take very good care of himself to avoid injury or he will get a ridiculous salary for a contract extension. Of course Real are on the same boat with Varane. Which makes me wonder whether we can work together to both end up leaving this silly situation while rescuing some of our dignity. Varane would move to United, Pogba would move to Real and both clubs would be spared from the embarrassment of losing players on a free or/and having to pay the silly signing on fee these players would be asking as free agents.
You go on about how both these Clubs have no leverage and then you mention a swap where both players would suddenly be willing to forfeit all the leverage and would not be asking for silly sign on fees and agent any specific reason why it would happen, I don't think it's a feasible if Pogba has decided to run down his contract he would just do that if he hasn't he would be more than willing to work with Club to find a acceptable solution whether it would be his contact extension or his transfer this summer just not sure about that.

devilish

You go on about how both these Clubs have no leverage and then you mention a swap where both players would suddenly be willing to forfeit all the leverage and would not be asking for silly sign on fees and agent any specific reason why it would happen, I don't think it's a feasible if Pogba has decided to run down his contract he would just do that if he hasn't he would be more than willing to work with Club to find a acceptable solution whether it would be his contact extension or his transfer this summer just not sure about that.
Full stops would really help in such circumstances.

Agents have a lot of players in their client list especially super agents such as Mino. Now football is literally imploding. The Serie A had never been as poor as it is now, La Liga top clubs aren't what they used to be and Saudi's bid for Newcastle had hit the rocks. Covid and the premature end of the ESL had surely made matters worse. The list of top payers is shrinking by the minute. Therefore if two traditionally big spenders (Real and United) come to an agreement that benefit all parties in one way or another would these agents dare shooting it down? If Pogba does leave United for free then this will be the second time he pulled the same fast one on us. Is that a record Pogba or Mino would want to be remembered like that?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
@devilish Mino doesn’t care. At the end of the day the players make the decision, not Mino. He simply facilitates what they want and gets his chunk for doing so

Zlatattack

I don't think Pogba and Varane is going to happen. Pogba is likely to either sign a deal or leave on a free in my opinion. It'll give him extra choices.

I do think Rice and Lingard + cash should happen. He's the perfect Matic replacement for us.

Similarly if we even dream of Kane then Martial might go the other way, but I doubt it. Levy will want cold hard cash.

I think we might be better of offering Martial next season for Haaland. I don't think we'll get Haaland, but it'd be ridiculous if we didn't try.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Pogba for Varane would be suicidal for us. Pogba for Kroos is probably the best.

SAFMUTD

I'm pretty certain all the people repeating this have not watched Varane the last two seasons. I've had, he's been nothing close to top quality.

Look around a Madrid's forum see what they think of him currently.

jamesjimmybyrondean

I'm pretty certain all the people repeating this have not watched Varane the last two seasons. I've had, he's been nothing close to top quality.

Then you'd have to wonder why tf the club sees him as top priority for CB

gorky_utd

Varane Pogba swap deal would help Madrid a lot. They already have Alaba as the replacement cb.

SAFMUTD

Then you'd have to wonder why tf the club sees him as top priority for CB
Same reason the club thought Schweinsteiger would be a good signing, they have the reputation but if they were named John Doe you wouldn't touch them with a stick.

devilish

The same can be said about Pogba.

SAFMUTD

The same can be said about Pogba.
Pogba has had injury problems but he has performed when needed. Not the same case like Varane.

I'm not against selling Pogba but I'm against bringing Varane just for his name. It would be an Alexis/Hazard situation I'm certain of it.

devilish

Pogba has had injury problems but he has performed when needed. Not the same case like Varane.

I'm not against selling Pogba but I'm against bringing Varane just for his name. It would be an Alexis/Hazard situation I'm certain of it.
Mate I haven't followed Real enough to argue your point. All I am saying is that we seem interested in Varane and they seem interested in Pogba both of whom are in similar situation. So a swap can be possible

SAFMUTD

Mate I haven't followed Real enough to argue your point. All I am saying is that we seem interested in Varane and they seem interested in Pogba both of whom are in similar situation. So a swap can be possible
I agree, I'm just saying that Real would be winning big time if that happened.

A-man

Don’t see any reason to get rid of one of our best players and weaken our midfield even more.

LuckyScout78

If swap deals is so easy. And if I was United manager or D.O.F

Henderson —> Martinez- Aston Villa - GK
DVB —> Raphinha - Leeds RW/wide player
Pogba —> De Ligt - Juventus - CB
Fred —> Joao Palhinha - Sporting Lisboa - DM/nr.6 - No one is gonna bully this guy. I thought McTom was the new Roy Keane. Until I discovered Palhinha. Keane’s cloning. Really aggressive, good tough tackling and one on one. He will win most of them. Does has speed in him.
Bailly —> Still searching for a pacey , but still more composure than Bailly. Lesser reckless than Bailly. Fast , aggressive , but still full control = top composure.

New price players -
Sancho, wide player - Max 90 £ mill
Kane - CF - Max 110 £ mill - Take or leave it and last price
Sum of those 2 = 200 £ mill Max transfer budget this summer

Line them up in a 442 formation:

Martinez + Bissaka - De Ligt - Maguire - Shaw

Raphinha - Bruno - McTerminator - Sancho

Greenwood - Kane

Other options and double cover :

De Gea + Williams/Dalot - Lindelof - Tuanzebe - Telles

Diallo - Hannibal/Garner (8 & 8&6) - Joao Palhinha (6)- Martial/James

Cavani - Rashford

Raphinha - Not as good as Mahrez when he was at Leicester. But it’s Raphinha first season in premier league. For a really good and well coach team in Leeds, a team around 6-8 th. Taking his teammates into counting to evaluate his performance. Then I will state it’s been a very good debut first season for Raphinha. Really high level of ball control in top speed. Similar style to Mahrez and Arjen Robben type of winger and football player. Raphinha is not there yet. But playing in a same team like Bruno and Sancho. It will help him a lot. The rising of quality of your teammates, then your performance will rise too.
Diallo is really promising. But Raphinha is more close to a finish product more.

In the end. United have bought many really good players from Sporting Lisboa. I am really impressed how they keep producing new really good players.
Like Ronaldo, Bruno and Nani

And now. The young left back in Nuno Mendes. Born June.2002
And a really aggressive DM in Joao Palhinha. This guy is really hard to beat one on one. He might probably can play CB too.
But again. If swap deal was so easy. But without swap. Theirs current transfer market value are.

Rapinha - 25 mill euro - Dec - 1996
De Ligt - 75 mill euro
Joao Palhinha - 15 mill euro. Born in 1995 . The Portuguese Roy Keane. A lot lower price and Rice . Which is 60 mill euro. Not a chance 4 x times better than Palhinha.

Only De Ligt has high transfer value. So I am still looking for others alternative options. I am scouting Bootman. He looks good and solid. But not 100% sure yet. Maybe Bootman is good enough for top 4 in big 4. Just became Ligue 1 champion. So definitely a big achievement for him. To comparison. Personally and easily Bootman over Lindelof any day of the week. Bootman will not get bully to often.

Yeah there are mine swap deals. If it’s so easy. But I think DVB for Raphinha from Leeds. Maybe a realistic. Yet another ex Sporting Lisboa players. So again. I am really impressed. Two thumbs up for Sporting Lisboa. Really good to develop and produce really good football players.

Last edited:

jesperjaap

Obviously extra cash either way and these deals never happen, but a few I would favour:

Dalot for Romagnoli AC Milan
Lingard for Rice West Ham
Pogba for DeLigt or ROnaldo Juventus
Pogba for Varane Madrid
VDB for Barella or Bastoni Inter Milan

lots of others but these are the obvious ones where each team may be interested in the others player(s)

Best one for me is the first one. Probably £10-15m max with Romagnoli and you get an experienced, left footed captain. In all honesty I would quite happily sell Bailly and JOnes too and for another £5m you would probably get ROmero. Net spend of £15-20m, get rid of all our defensive dead wood and you then have the Maguire Lindelof partnership as well as an experienced centre back and an up and coming one. Would rather that than the more likely Dalot/Jones sales and having a net spend of £40-60m on a Varane or Kounde for example

eire-red

Swap deals are tricky, because ultimately you have two players that neither club particularly wants. Pogba for Varane would be interesting, but why weaken ourselves when the signing of Varane is surely with a view of strengthening the squad?