Swap deals?

Swap deals are tricky, because ultimately you have two players that neither club particularly wants. Pogba for Varane would be interesting, but why weaken ourselves when the signing of Varane is surely with a view of strengthening the squad?
a lot of swap deals are actually fine as two separate transfers.

a lot of work and a lot of parties have to agree for a single transfer, so when you double this it makes such transfers pretty unlikely.

Gandalf

Still think we should explore DDG plus cash for Oblak. Oblak is supposedly closer now than he has been to moving on and there are a few factors in our favor. Athletico and DDG have history, they would probably view him as an acceptable replacement as would their supporters and we know DDG is keen on moving back to Madrid to be near his family. I don't know how much cash would be needed but you could raise a good chunk of it by selling Henderson because if we are getting Oblak there is no competition, Dean is the backup and we know he has no interest in that role. I am comfortable with a Goalkeeping list of Oblak, Heaton and Bishop and if we have any doubts about Bishop for the 3rd keeper role I am sure we could find a cheap veteran to be the 3rd choice and sit on the bench.

croadyman

Still think we should explore DDG plus cash for Oblak. Oblak is supposedly closer now than he has been to moving on and there are a few factors in our favor. Athletico and DDG have history, they would probably view him as an acceptable replacement as would their supporters and we know DDG is keen on moving back to Madrid to be near his family. I don't know how much cash would be needed but you could raise a good chunk of it by selling Henderson because if we are getting Oblak there is no competition, Dean is the backup and we know he has no interest in that role. I am comfortable with a Goalkeeping list of Oblak, Heaton and Bishop and if we have any doubts about Bishop for the 3rd keeper role I am sure we could find a cheap veteran to be the 3rd choice and sit on the bench.
Yeah that is the kind of swap deal I could definitely get onboard with more so than the Jesse plus cash one for Rice, saw one ITK suggesting that IF we could find a taker for Deano we would offer £40m & DDG for him. This one definitely feels like an opportunity more than a priority if all of the important pieces of it fall into place

McTerminator

Yeah that is the kind of swap deal I could definitely get onboard with more so than the Jesse plus cash one for Rice, saw one ITK suggesting that IF we could find a taker for Deano we would offer £40m & DDG for him. This one definitely feels like an opportunity more than a priority if all of the important pieces of it fall into place
Jesse won’t be used to get Rice. No doubt in my mind he has better offers than West Ham

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How about Pogba for DeLigt.
Clear as day that there won’t be a contract extension done. Not sure it would be right too either.

also how about swapping Lindelof + 70m for DeJong

manuchamp88

If swap deals is so easy. And if I was United manager or D.O.F

Henderson —> Martinez- Aston Villa - GK
DVB —> Raphinha - Leeds RW/wide player
Pogba —> De Ligt - Juventus - CB
Fred —> Joao Palhinha - Sporting Lisboa - DM/nr.6 - No one is gonna bully this guy. I thought McTom was the new Roy Keane. Until I discovered Palhinha. Keane’s cloning. Really aggressive, good tough tackling and one on one. He will win most of them. Does has speed in him.
Bailly —> Still searching for a pacey , but still more composure than Bailly. Lesser reckless than Bailly. Fast , aggressive , but still full control = top composure.

New price players -
Sancho, wide player - Max 90 £ mill
Kane - CF - Max 110 £ mill - Take or leave it and last price
Sum of those 2 = 200 £ mill Max transfer budget this summer

Line them up in a 442 formation:

Martinez + Bissaka - De Ligt - Maguire - Shaw

Raphinha - Bruno - McTerminator - Sancho

Greenwood - Kane
Hate to burst your bubble, but no way could this happen. De Ligt has 3 years left on his deal whereas Pogba's expires next year. As much as Juve like Pogba, there is no way he is worth 3 years of wages of De Ligt who hasn't even hit his peak yet. Furthermore, no way would Van de Beek take a step down to Leeds. Even Sporting might be not be good enough for Fred who still has a few years left in his career. Not to mention that Sporting and Leeds would struggle to afford Fred's and Donny's wages.

jesperjaap

We have three big players for potential swap or part exchange deals:

Pogba - Varane, DeLigt, Ronaldo, Valverde
VDB - Barella, Bastoni, Moriba, Dembele, Firpo
DeGea or Henderson are also big swap possibilities as links with Milan on Henderson and surely big clubs would be interested in DeGea even with those wages

Then we have others:

Dalot - Sod an extended loan, offer him cheap to Milan....Tonali, Kessie, Leao, Romagnoli

Lingard is an obvious one for Rice but possibly even JOnes, Matic, Mata, Pereira could be of interest....some of them coul even be offered to Villa for Grealish

Again Tuanzabe to Villa...Daniel James also

Brighton and bissouma alot of these players could be used as a bargaining chip

Martial may have interest from some big clubs....Spurs and Kane for example or again Madrid

Not saying I particularly want some of the players, but these are all credible examples

We actually have a lot of squad players and big players that can for differnt reasons be deemed surplus to requirements...I don tkno whow difficult these are to do, but is it any more tiresome or time consuming than having to sell them to raise funds?

LuckyScout78

New edit.

Bailly for Edmond Tabsoba plus money to Leverkusen

Tuanzebe for Lille versatile defend Tiago Djalo, CB/RB/DM. With 2 years buy back clause on Tuanzebe.

And still. If United still use 4231. Swap DVB to Leeds Ajax 433 football for Raphinha. Sancho and Raphinha would be ideal. If Martial is leaving too. Don’t waste DVB talent by making him benchwarmer. Just destroy or lower his confidence. Leeds Ajax 433 and Bielsa will get the best out of DVB.

Raphinha/Diallo/Greenwood - Bruno/Mata - Sancho/James/Rashford + Greenwood/Cavani/Rashford . In 4231

Last edited:

croadyman

Would love to swap Pogba for Verratti but that would never happen in a million years

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Would love to swap Pogba for Verratti but that would never happen in a million years
So one that’s paid a load and get 1 good game in 5 with another who’s paid a load and plays 1 game in 5 due to injuries

I used to like veratti but no way could you trust he’d be fit consistently

Abraxas

I think a lot of the time they simply don't work because the parties involved will have their own timescales and preferences.

Whether the respective clubs are wanted by the players is one aspect, but then you have to throw in timing everything and organising between the two sets of parties. I'd imagine this is difficult enough for one deal that it simply isn't seen as a great option very often. We're far more likely to see separate deals for Rice and Lingard even if they swap clubs. What if Lingard hears of interest from X club and wants to look at that for instance? That's your deal delayed.