Swarm

Fridge chutney

Will do.

It means feck all. Absolutely nothing. Zilch. You're playing teams to gather pre-season fitness, those teams are playing experimental sides, the atmosphere to actual games is totally different. Countless managers/teams have had excellent pre-seasons and then horrible seasons because it's a terrible indicator of how a season will actually go. It's naive foolery to somehow think that because a player is great in pre season he will match it in the season, right now Brewster is looking on for the Ballon d or by pre season standards and Greenwood will probably get top scorer .. not going to happen though, is it?

Tactics/systems/ideas that work in pre season may not work in competitive games. Van Gaal had the best pre season ever and then his philosophy went down like a led balloon when it came up against teams who weren't in pre season mode. The only time you can tell whether something is going to work is when you start playing real matches, I haven't watched/paid attention to a Spurs pre season game in years because they're totally meaningless other than a nice opportunity for fans around the world to see their heroes play/youngsters to get game time.

You're welcome to take it way more seriously than you should do, like loads of footie fans have before, that's your choice. But don't get upset when people tell you the big bad reality: never make judgements on pre season, ever. You can be playing free flowing, exciting football now and then be dire on opening day in the PL, or youn ca be terrible in pre season then free flowing when it comes to competitive games. These games are meant to build fitness for players and earn the clubs a bit of cash abroad .. nothing more, nothing less.
What a bombastic post.

"My perception is the reality folks, end of discussion".

Kag

You were excellent under LvG in pre-season (won every game, beat real, beat liverpool) and then a pub team when the season started.

I honestly wouldn't give two shits if we (spurs) won every pre season game 3 or 4 nil. I'd place zero stock in it because I know these games are played at a completely different tempo under completely different circumstances to competitive matches. It's easy for a style to look cohesive and work in a pre season kick about, not so easy when you're in competitive games.

If you're completely inept in pre season as a team then yeah ok, that perhaps isn't a great sign because no professional side should want to be losing, even in friendlies. But my policy has always been to pay as little attention to it as possible, we lost 4-1 to Girona in our final pre season game last season. Fans are obviously entitled to be happy/excited to see a new style coming through but the fact is that it really does not mean much at all when it comes to crunch time, and people should be aware of this by now.
The manager has said that he wants the players to play with more intensity and so far that is the case in pre season. Highlighting that isn’t an issue. And I don’t think people have to caveat that by saying it might not happen when the seasons starts for real. Personally, I think that goes without saying.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
The manager has said that he wants the players to play with more intensity and so far that is the case in pre season. Highlighting that isn’t an issue. And I don’t think people have to caveat that by saying it might not happen when the seasons starts for real. Personally, I think that goes without saying.

99% of managers in world football want their team to play with more intensity. This isn't something which should be a revelation to anybody.

0le

99% of managers in world football want their team to play with more intensity. This isn't something which should be a revelation to anybody.
Genuinely interested as to why you care so much (to write several lengthy posts) on how United fans feel about their pre-season.

Kag

And highlighting that this is the case in the first three games of pre season isn’t an issue, as I highlighted so articulately. What has your reply got to do with mine?

You’re scatting about in here looking to labour debates that don’t really exist.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
What a bombastic post.

"My perception is the reality folks, end of discussion".
It's simply my opinion on pre-season.

You're welcome to believe it's an important indicator of how a season might go, and I'll continue to think it means little to nothing and find it amusing when football fans (from all clubs) get overly excited at stuff which takes place in pre season. I found it equally funny when our own fans thought Nkoudou was going to come good this season because he scored a few in pre season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
And highlighting that this is the case in the first three games of pre season isn’t an issue, as I highlighted so articulately. What has your reply got to do with mine?

You’re scatting about in here looking to labour debates that don’t really exist.
It's not an issue, it is a terrible indicator of how the team will look when those ideas are applied in the realm of competitive matches however. What Ole wants/the team can do in pre season games vs what happens against a fit, competitive side are completely different. That's the entire point.

Debates that don't really exist? I'm saying pretty clearly I do not think pre season matters or has any real bearing on how a team will look come first matchday, others clearly think differently. That's a debate right there.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Genuinely interested as to why you care so much (to write several lengthy posts) on how United fans feel about their pre-season.
It's more of a general comment on how football fans treat pre season .. Spurs fans, United fans, we all do it. I've seen it hundreds of times where people get either overly excited or overly pessimistic based on pre season results and I've always seen it as folly. I don't specifically care whether United fans are happy with their pre season, but people replied to me so I replied to them. That's generally how a forum works.

The problem I had with the original post was just that: it was blowing an attempt to play pressing football in pre season games way out of proportion. It pretty much seems to dismiss genuine, sensible concerns fans might have based on competitive games last season/the current state of the squad, and it does so on the basis of very little.

Castia

It’s great until the players cba.

I don’t trust this bunch to put in 100% every game which is really fecking sad to say.

Kag

It's not an issue, it is a terrible indicator of how the team will look when those ideas are applied in the realm of competitive matches however. What Ole wants/the team can do in pre season games vs what happens against a fit, competitive side are completely different. That's the entire point.

Debates that don't really exist? I'm saying pretty clearly I do not think pre season matters or has any real bearing on how a team will look come first matchday, others clearly think differently. That's a debate right there.
Then don’t make it an issue. So far, United have played with intensity. That’s a sensible opinion based upon a set of working eyes and some modicum of thought. As far as I can see on this forum, no United supporter has claimed that this guarantees having a fantastic season; or that it ensures we consistently play with intensity. It merely gives supporters hope that it may continue, which is both acceptable and rational. Your point doesn’t marry up with the sense I am making above. You’re just saying things that any halfwit would agree with.

I do think pre season has more bearing than you do, though. If you have a particularly terrible pre season then it is very likely that your season is a poor one. I watched it happen just last season.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Then don’t make it an issue. So far, United have played with intensity. That’s a sensible opinion based upon a set of working eyes and some modicum of thought. As far as I can see on this forum, no United supporter has claimed that this guarantees having a fantastic season; or that it ensures we consistently play with intensity. It merely gives supporters hope that it may continue, which is both acceptable and rational. Your point doesn’t marry up with the sense I am making above. You’re just saying things that any halfwit would agree with.

I do think pre season has more bearing than you do, though. If you have a particularly terrible pre season then it is very likely that your season is a poor one. I watched it happen just last season.
You played with intensity for a good while under Ole last season too. Playing a pressing, intense game for a few games vs for an entire season is a completely different story. Right now we're not seeing anything new at all. A lot of what your fans are saying is like a broken record and something we've been hearing for years 'finally playing an attacking/intense/energetic game!' but every time it happens it's like it's something totally new. Playing with intensity now means very little, it's exactly what you'd expect in pre season from players who have something to prove/want to make their mark.

And I've watched teams have amazing pre seasons and then have terrible seasons.

Art Vandelay

It’s great until the players cba.

I don’t trust this bunch to put in 100% every game which is really fecking sad to say.
I have to say I agree. As much as I want to remain positive and as encouraging as it's been, I don't trust these players. I'd be more confident if the overhaul was more successful.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
You played with intensity for a good while under Ole last season too. Playing a pressing, intense game for a few games vs for an entire season is a completely different story. Right now we're not seeing anything new at all. A lot of what your fans are saying is like a broken record and something we've been hearing for years 'finally playing an attacking/intense/energetic game!' but every time it happens it's like it's something totally new. Playing with intensity now means very little, it's exactly what you'd expect in pre season from players who have something to prove/want to make their mark.

:lol:

Kag

You played with intensity for a good while under Ole last season too. Right now we're not seeing anything new at all. A lot of what your fans are saying is like a broken record and something we've been hearing for years 'finally playing an attacking/intense/energetic game!' but every time it happens it's like it's something totally new. Playing with intensity now means very little, it's exactly what you'd expect in pre season from players who have something to prove/want to make their mark.

Essentially, you’re spending time on a Manchester United forum taking issue with said supporters noticing that their team is playing with intensity during pre season. We don’t need your wisdom. We don’t need to be told mind-numbingly obvious things like ‘playing a pressing, intense game for a few games vs for an entire season is a completely different story’. You’re traipsing about in here pretending as if there has been some sort of delusional widespread perception that United have turned a corner due to three games in pre season. You’re on this forum enough as it is, so it should be abundantly clear to you that the forum isn’t exactly brimming with positivity. Yet here you are, lecturing people for holding beliefs they don’t even believe.

Get a fecking life.

RedDevilRoshi

Yeah, we are pressing as a team for the most part and trying to play on the front foot. It's not perfected yet, but very encouraging signs. Especially since we are transforming from the opposite.

This.

I absolutely loved our pressing at times. We didn’t give them a chance to settle down and spray a few passes together.

Crashoutcassius

Pre season means very little but if we can get a centre back in to lead the back line and we should this pressing and attacking intent over the bulk of the season + trying to make something of this latest generation of kids I think we can get behind the team, top 4 or no

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

Essentially, you’re spending time on a Manchester United forum taking issue with said supporters noticing that their team is playing with intensity during pre season. We don’t need your wisdom. We don’t need to be told mind-numbingly obvious things like ‘playing a pressing, intense game for a few games vs for an entire season is a completely different story’. You’re traipsing about in here pretending as if there has been some sort of delusional widespread perception that United have turned a corner due to three games in pre season. You’re on this forum enough as it is, so it should be abundantly clear to you that the forum isn’t exactly brimming with positivity. Yet here you are, lecturing people for holding beliefs they don’t even believe.

Get a fecking life.
It's weird how you have no issue whatsoever with other United fans saying essentially the same innocuous comment (it doesn't mean much, pre-season means little) but seem to have become incredibly riled up because I've said basically the same thing. I made a general comment about football fans getting overly excited about pre season results. At no point did I pretend I was offering some sage wisdom or that all United fans are in a frenzy, merely stated how I feel about pre season.

Right back at you if such comments really rile you up to the extent that you need to get personal about it. You really do seem quite angry that I've made a very simple point, and again it's pretty telling that you've zoomed in on the easy target (a rival fan) rather than the many United fans making comments to the same effect.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
It's more of a general comment on how football fans treat pre season .. Spurs fans, United fans, we all do it. I've seen it hundreds of times where people get either overly excited or overly pessimistic based on pre season results and I've always seen it as folly. I don't specifically care whether United fans are happy with their pre season, but people replied to me so I replied to them. That's generally how a forum works.

The problem I had with the original post was just that: it was blowing an attempt to play pressing football in pre season games way out of proportion. It pretty much seems to dismiss genuine, sensible concerns fans might have based on competitive games last season/the current state of the squad, and it does so on the basis of very little.
I have learned over the years that it’s better to have a good pre season then not. Keeping clean sheets build confidence and makes the squad more positive against tactical changes. So from that perspective good results counts.

With Sir Alex it’s was easier to accept a slow start but with our last season in mind then a good start is probably a must to install positivity and give our manager time to breath.

Regarding out new set up I’m one of those who likes when we play modern with high intensive pressing all over the pitch. Overtake possession in the final third is often a goal scoring opportunity so I’m very positive to see Ole tries this again.

Hopefully one or two new players and then let’s continue and see where it takes us.

AshRK

I don't think you are getting the point here. No one is saying we will win the league or we will continue to play like this but for us this preseason is very important to know whether these players will buy into ole or whether Ole knows what he is doing. Last season he kept on harping about being able to workhard and high press and now we are seeing that. It's a sign maybe we are moving in a right direction. Maybe this is the club's identity and we needed one after years of shittiness. It's a step in the right direction and for our club this pre season is far more important than yours or city's.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I don't think you are getting the point here. No one is saying we will win the league or we will continue to play like this but for us this preseason is very important to know whether these players will buy into ole or whether Ole knows what he is doing. Last season he kept on harping about being able to workhard and high press and now we are seeing that. It's a sign maybe we are moving in a right direction. Maybe this is the club's identity and we needed one after years of shittiness. It's a step in the right direction and for our club this pre season is far more important than yours or city's.
I haven't said anybody thinks you're going to win the league.

I just fundamentally agree with the bold, that's the point. It's just an opinion and you're free to feel otherwise (obviously!) but that's how I feel. I don't think you can tell whether a player will buy in to ole/a strategy long term just because of what they do in a few pre season games. It's really very difficult to tell based on such a small sample and under circumstances very different to competitive games.

Say you're playing like this a few games in to the PL season, then I think it's a valid time to be going 'yep, clearly the ideas are taking shape and the players are maybe buying in to it'. That's just me and how I try and judge things.

DownRiver

I mean this is a great step ahead, however, if Leeds United or Inter Milan sat deep against us....I don't think we would be effective. Lack of creativity in the final third. We rely too much on Pogba. Although Lingard presses the best in our attack, his creativity is as bad as Jones.

We need to work more in the final third to be as effective as Liverpool or Man city in the final pass.

AshRK

I haven't said anybody thinks you're going to win the league.

I just fundamentally agree with the bold, that's the point. It's just an opinion and you're free to feel otherwise (obviously!) but that's how I feel. I don't think you can tell whether a player will buy in to ole/a strategy long term just because of what they do in a few pre season games. It's really very difficult to tell based on such a small sample and under circumstances very different to competitive games.

Say you're playing like this a few games in to the PL season, then I think it's a valid time to be going 'yep, clearly the ideas are taking shape and the players are maybe buying in to it'. That's just me and how I try and judge things.
But we are not judging on the long term basis. We cannot, no one cannot because one cannot predict the future. All we are doing is judging by what we are seeing. What we sre seeing so far is Ole wants his players to press high and players so far after 3 games have responded to his ideas and are doing that and that is a positive. I know resultr in ore season can be meaningless but trust me any manager will prefer to win games than lose and the way United ended the season we needed to win with some identity.

Again this whole judgment is based on three games and we are happy from what we are seeing so far.

passing-wind

I actually like this team now. So much workrate and intensity. They've bought into Ole's approach
For pre season, it's far too early to see if the players are invested because given the last ten games of the season they seem to entertain not playing for the manager.

15 games into the new season we will see how far Ole has influenced these individuals.

SteveW

For pre season, it's far too early to see if the players are invested because given the last ten games of the season they seem to entertain not playing for the manager.

15 games into the new season we will see how far Ole has influenced these individuals.
I disagree with the bold part. Until top 4 was gone they were trying. They were just shattered

Slik

Dude take a break. Even the manager acknowledge that he couldn't continue the pressing game last season due to fitness. And is working extra hard on fitness this preseason in order to be able to play a more pressing game through the season. Fans have noticed that work in progress and are saying, " we hope we are able to continue with it" .You are here writng like we said; we have already won the league. :rolleyes:

Slik

The team suffered due to fitness issues which led to injuries. When players lose games it doesn't automatically mean they are not playing for the manager. Who put that idea in peoples heads? This team has been suffering for many years, they clearly lack in quality, fitness as well as other factors, but everytime players are struggling: they are not playing for the manager. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Into squad- wan bissaka, James, Greenwood, gomes, players Woodward has failed on absolutely not solskjaers fault, maguire longstaff fernandes. This is a mix of youth speed enthusiasm we all want. If woodward fails him then we're in the same boat surprise surprise

Out- Fellaini, Valencia, herrera, aiming to offload lukaku darmian sanchez

Playing style- High pressing and fitness the blatant goals of pre season

Outlook- goes beyond what some have called empty words. There's a clear standard and expectation of players and himself and staff.

Regarding pl results let's see as season goes, he was a 3rd in league in his spell where he entered a toxic environment.

As far as I can see all our failings continue to be woodwards
Spot on. And I would consider this season a success if we came top 5 and brought through Greenwood, Gomes, Chong, James, and Tuanzebe as first team regulars. The future IS bright. Success won’t be immediate but I like what I’m seeing. Team looks the fittest I’ve seen in ages.

Fridge chutney

It's simply my opinion on pre-season.

You're welcome to believe it's an important indicator of how a season might go, and I'll continue to think it means little to nothing and find it amusing when football fans (from all clubs) get overly excited at stuff which takes place in pre season. I found it equally funny when our own fans thought Nkoudou was going to come good this season because he scored a few in pre season.
In my opinion you're being deliberately disingenuous. No one has claimed that Brewster is going to win Balon Dor, nor that Greenwood is going to finish top scorer. Nor have I said that it's an important indicator of how a season will go.

This forum is 99% doom and gloom and the original poster just pointed out that there are encouraging signs which is a completely fair statement to make. But the 1% optimism about United seems to get shot down at all angles, which just makes discussion tedious.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
@SquishyMcSquish There's a marked difference in our approach. This isn't happenstance, it's a concerted effort to change the way we play. This is precisely what Ole had said from the very beginning, and we are now seeing the fruit of his labour. Teams don't randomly mix up how they play in a preseason, if you see an entirely different approach then chances are you're going to see your team play like that in the future. This excites fans. If the team is willing to press relentlessly in a nothing game in 500°c, then that bodes well for when the season proper starts. feck sake man it's football; we are meant to get excited.

Fridge chutney

Get a fecking life.
Well said.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It’s brilliant. Once we start to learn to be clinical in winning the ball higher up the field it will be devastating

Handré1990

Why do some of my fellow United fans feel the need to justify, or even reply to a Tottenham fan talking shite about our evaluation of our team’s progress in pre-season? Boggles the mind. Remember, Tottantic is now the big dogs in town, they’ve reached the summit of football (losing a CL final, and winning as much as the square root of feck all!), so we shouldn’t presume to be on their level. Not even when talking of our own team’s progress, in what is essentially a training camp.

Because now, apparently, saying it’s nice to see United play as a team, and run and fight like we haven’t seen, even in the actual seasons, for the last oh...6 years, in pre-season games, is, by this Tottenham fan’s account, «putting too much stock in pre-season». Do you not see anything wrong with this picture?

@SquishyMcSquish and the whiners of the United fan variety.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
Why do some of my fellow United fans feel the need to justify, or even reply to a Tottenham fan talking shite about our evaluation of our team’s progress in pre-season? Boggles the mind. Remember, Tottantic is now the big dogs in town, they’ve reached the summit of football (losing a CL final, and winning as much as the square root of feck all!), so we shouldn’t presume to be on their level. Not even when talking of our own team’s progress, in what is essentially a training camp.

Because now, apparently, saying it’s nice to see United play as a team, and run and fight like we haven’t seen, even in the actual seasons, for the last oh...6 years, in pre-season games, is, by this Tottenham fan’s account, «putting too much stock in pre-season». Do you not see anything wrong with this picture?

@SquishyMcSquish and the whiners of the United fan variety.

Who I support is completely irrelevant and at no point did I claim that Spurs were big boys on the block but good one, you really got me because what Spurs have won is really super relevant to how important pre season results are.

And yeah, I do think certain people in this thread are placing too much stock in pre season. It's so easy to press and be energetic when your team is full of youngsters/players with shit to prove before the competitive games to start. Getting those ideas to stick when the season starts and the games are coming thick and fast is a totally different reality. You can think it's super duper important if you want, even though we've seen countless times that pre season results can have little bearing on how a season plays out, but please stop acting like it's outlandish to say that pre season isn't a good way to judge a team.

Some of you are so incredibly precious whenever someone who isn't a United fan says anything even remotely negative about United .. even though I haven't even actually done that, just said that signs of a pressing game in pre season doesn't mean it'll be effective when the season starts, because you still may not possess the players to do it on a regular basis. But yeah, have a cry about it and fire some more shots at Spurs if that makes you feel loads better about yourself.