Sweden - Euro 2021 Discussion

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Sweden (Group E)

Fixtures:

• Spain vs Sweden - Tuesday June 14, 8pm (Seville)
  • Sweden vs Slovakia - Friday June 18, 2pm (Petrograd)
  • Sweden vs Poland - Wednesday June 23, 5pm (Petrograd)
Team Preview (courtesy of fourfourtwo.com)

The delay to Euro 2020 has caused something of a headache for Sweden, confusing a side that previously struck success with a clear defence-first, counter-attacking style. Now they’re struggling to transition towards a new identity, provoked by the emergence of a more attacking generation of talent.

The Euro 92 semi-finalists strolled to Euro 2020 qualification with only one defeat, but results since then reflect the ongoing battle faced by coach Janne Andersson in figuring out his new crop of players. Having previously been a nightmare for top teams to break down, Sweden were steamrolled by France and Portugal in the Nations League; their only win came at home to Croatia, the rest ending in defeat.

Yet if Andersson can balance better forward play with some of their old quality at the back, then he can tap into a huge amount of potential. Alexander Isak’s encouraging second campaign with Real Sociedad – where he is now first choice up front and has been scoring freely in 2020/21 – offers huge cause for optimism, while young playmaker Dejan Kulusevski has stepped up at Juventus to prove his capabilities at the highest level.

Who is Sweden's best player? (Voted for by GoldenBlunder)

Victor Lindelof

A strong and capable defender is essential for Sweden to go far in the tournament and Lindelof’s continued success in the Premier League shows that the 'Iceman' is not to be taken lightly. Finding a way to criticise him on the internet is easy but getting past him will be a different matter. Even without his usual club teammate to steady the back-line, Victor has shown time and time again he's the master of backtracking 30 yards towards his own goal.

Sweden Euro 2021 26-man Squad:
  • GK: Robin Olsen (Everton)
  • GK: Karl-Johan Johnsson (Copenhagen)
  • GK: Kristoffer Nordfeldt (Genclerbirligi)
  • DF: Mikael Lustig (AIK)
  • DF: Ludwig Augustinsson (Werder Bremen)
  • DF: Victor Lindelof (Manchester United) :drool:
  • DF: Marcus Danielson (Dalian Yifang)
  • DF: Martin Olsson (Häcken)
  • DF: Pontus Jansson (Brentford)
  • DF: Filip Helander (Rangers)
  • DF: Emil Krafth (Newcastle United)
  • DF: Andreas Granqvist (Helsingborgs IF)
  • MF: Sebastian Larsson (AIK)
  • MF: Albin Ekdal (Sampdoria)
  • MF: Emil Forsberg (RB Leipzig)
  • MF: Ken Sema (Watford)
  • MF: Viktor Claesson (Krasnodar)
  • MF: Jens Cajuste (Midtjylland)
  • MF: Mattias Svanberg (Bologna)
  • MF: Kristoffer Olsson (Krasnodar)
  • MF: Dejan Kulusevski (Juventus)
  • MF: Gustav Svensson (Guangzhou)
  • FW: Jordan Larsson (Spartak Moscow)
  • FW: Alexander Isak (Real Sociedad)
  • FW: Robin Quaison (Mainz)
  • FW: Marcus Berg (Krasnodar)

Last edited:

Mickson

I would say that Emil Forberg is easily our best player, whenever I watch Sweden that is...one of the few that is creative and can run with the ball. Sweden is really good organized so Lindelof isn't that important usually. A chance for Red Cafe scouts to watch Kristoffer Olsson too :)

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Its really beyond me Jesper Karlsson from AZ didnt get in the squad.. He was class last season..

JohnnyLaw

Its really beyond me Jesper Karlsson from AZ didnt get in the squad.. He was class last season..
I would’ve probably picked him ahead of Sema but neither of them will/would’ve probably seen much game time anyways.
Claesson, Forsberg and Kulusevski will start at AM/Wings and Jordan Larsson has had a very good season at Spartak aswell.

Of course the experience could’ve done him some good for the future but I trust Andersson to make the calls.

Halftrack

Wow, a silly picture of a guy wearing a dress as a joke, let's all laugh like children and act as if this says anything about him. I guess it's not really surprising, given that people still think calling someone a girl is an appropriate insult.

He's clearly secure in his sexuality, so good for him.

A-man

Disappointed Elanga is t in the squad. That would be amazing experience and good for the future.

A-man

Yeah we send Granqvist instead. Just stupid I think. Although leadership might help a bit.
And also, for feck sake let the guy play a match so he is tied to the Swedish NT! He’s got double citizenships.

JohnnyLaw

Elanga has 156 minutes worth of senior level football, of course he’s not going to be picked for a major tournament..

A-man

Elanga has 156 minutes worth of senior level football, of course he’s not going to be picked for a major tournament..
It’s highly unlikely, but in a big squad there is room for 1-2 player that are there mainly to learn for the future. He is not experienced, but he showed on the last game he is good enough for PL which several of the Swedish NT players are not imo.

Alao being assigned to the team would be enough to tie him to the Swedish NT if I’m correctly informed (could be wrong, might need to play).

JohnnyLaw

It’s highly unlikely, but in a big squad there is room for 1-2 player that are there mainly to learn for the future. He is not experienced, but he showed on the last game he is good enough for PL which several of the Swedish NT players are not imo.

Alao being assigned to the team would be enough to tie him to the Swedish NT if I’m correctly informed (could be wrong, might need to play).
Even by that notion Jesper Karlsson, who didn’t make the squad either, should’ve been ahead of him in the queue.
Just because he scored a good goal doesn’t mean he’s good enough to play in the premier league yet, just like it didn’t for Macheda, Harrop, Wilson, Powell, Büttner etc.

Dan James scored three in his first four games with us and it’s hardly uncommon to see people argue he’s a championship level player.

Anthony was born in Sweden, maybe I’m being arrogant but just based on that I feel secure that he’ll choose us given the option. If he gets a good loan and continues to progress I’m sure we’ll see him feature in the nations league/world cup qualifiers soon enough.

Last edited:

A-man

Even by that notion Jesper Karlsson, who didn’t make the squad either, should’ve been ahead of him in the queue.
Just because he scored a good goal doesn’t mean he’s good enough to play in the premier league yet, just like it didn’t for Macheda, Harrop, Wilson, Powell, Büttner etc.

Dan James scored three in his first four games with us and it’s hardly uncommon to see people argue he’s a championship level player.

Anthony was born in Sweden, maybe I’m being arrogant but just based on that I feel secure that he’ll choose us given the option. If he gets a good loan and continues to progress I’m sure we’ll see him feature in the nations league/world cup qualifiers soon enough.
I’m not arguing that Jesper Karlsson shouldn’t be given the chance either. I believe the NT at the Euros or WC should put the best players up there, except one or two who are there to learn. Now Granqvist was chosen instead and I can’t really say that’s a bad choice. He will most likely not be good enough on the pitch, but has a lot to offer off-pitch. But for me, I’d rather see young talents in the team.

JohnnyLaw

I’m not arguing that Jesper Karlsson shouldn’t be given the chance either. I believe the NT at the Euros or WC should put the best players up there, except one or two who are there to learn. Now Granqvist was chosen instead and I can’t really say that’s a bad choice. He will most likely not be good enough on the pitch, but has a lot to offer off-pitch. But for me, I’d rather see young talents in the team.
We have those ’one or two’ already, in this instance being Jordan Larsson and Jens Cajuste. It’s also the first tournament for Isak and Kulusevski who are still only 21 aswell. Both of them will surely be starting most games aswell so our attack really didn’t need more youngsters which is probably why, besides his form for Milan, Andersson was willing to let Ibrahimovic back into the side.

Mickson

He's quite unlucky that Sweden is quite strong in depth in those positions. He may come in now though, as a replacement for Mattias Svanberg who has covid. Svanberg is definitely starting for Sweden in the World Cup if they qualify so it's a blow. Sweden would've needed perfect conditions to go far, unfortunately, we have two covid-cases so not the ideal build-up.

Giggsyking

Otroligt bra match defensivt :D. Well done. We have to play to our strengths. We need to collect more points from Poland and Slovakia.

Mickson

Otroligt bra match defensivt :D. Well done. We have to play to our strengths. We need to collect more points from Poland and Slovakia.
Lite tur dock att Spanien missade så mycket, men i det stora hela väldigt stabilt och positivt!

I think this will fit Sweden. They can be pretty relaxed against Slovakia and Poland, knowing they don't desperately need three points. Can't see us losing either game, especially not against Slovakia.

Oldham

Great point for them, but my god they looked horrible...very very lucky.

Lappen

Great point for them, but my god they looked horrible...very very lucky.
The worst performance I ever seen in any game for my hole life I think!
Look at the stats for the game without laughing!

Giggsyking

The worst performance I ever seen in any game for my hole life I think!
Look at the stats for the game without laughing!
You think that was the worst performance. How about today's performance?

Lappen

You think that was the worst performance. How about today's performance?
I did drink a beer or two before the game so don't kill me for the thoughts I have.
I don't think we performed like we do with confidence. It was sloppy and not good. Better than against spain but not good. Clearly there were a lot of nerves involved and with the midfield two kristofer O and Albin E not performing at there best we don't look comfterbel with the ball. They are wery importent for us in the build up game.
After the goal we got the boost and starting to play like I think is the way to play for sweden, but it didnt last for long and there were to many chances to score an equaliser. Confidence, ore lack of it, made us park the bus and at the end we should be wherry happy with the win. I do expect moore and I think Janne have lost some of his confidence and looking to much in stats and the opponents in his coaching. We are at the best when we play "our game" without fear....
A win but nothing that scares any other teams.

I love Isak!

Eurotrash

They’ve done their research on their opponents, and play with a very cautious and disciplined approach. Isak, Forsberg and Victor are quality, the rest a bit meh.

But please, for the love of Zlatan, let Quaison start instead of Berg against Poland.

Man-United

Really impressed by Forsberg. He was pure class today again. One of the best players in the Euros so far.

Eurotrash

Kulusevski did really great I thought. Haven't been that impressed the few times I've seen him before, but today he looked like a real talent.

A-man

296 players have played in the Euros so far.
Lindelof, Danielson and Lustig are all at shared 13th place in number of Won aerials. .

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
296 players have played in the Euros so far.
Lindelof, Danielson and Lustig are all at shared 13th place in number of Won aerials. .
Wow they will both be ideal for the PL. how are they with physical duels and cycling backwards?