Swiss Ramble on the Glazers

Infra-red

Jesus, how is Liverpool's revenue nearing Utd. I was always under the impression that Utd generates significantly more money than Liverpool.
They will overtake us this financial year and will also pull further ahead next year (failure to qualify for the UCL for two consecutive seasons wipes a third off the value of our Adidas kit deal due to a clause in that contract).

Lee565

Yeah whenever I hear Redknapp or Jenas say "But they've spent a lot of money", I know they clearly know f**k all about the situation.
Funny how they defend glazers but don't do the same for Everton owners who are basically a lesser equivalent of us that they spent big sums and get nowhere and even Ancelotti struggled massively in charge.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Jesus, how is Liverpool's revenue nearing Utd. I was always under the impression that Utd generates significantly more money than Liverpool.
Better management, they can get more from sponsorships now. Liverpool are more attractive from a commercial perspective right now.

United has a bigger fan base but they're a laughing stock that can't finish in top 4. Liverpool you have Klopp and very marketable players.

United sponsors like Adidas won't want to pay more than they pay Liverpool in the coming years.

I don't think it would be hard for United to pull ahead but it would require new owners that actually care about football and winning, and gutting the club for the right structure.

GazTheLegend

Didn't Burnley get purchased in a similar way recently? It stuck out as the government soon changed their principles for Chelsea (London centric).
Yes that's right. They only changed their rules when a London club was involved. But Burnley's case was absolutely cited as part of the reason FOR those rules to be looked at. I don't think it would be allowed today.

DSG

That’s a bit of a myth. Magnier and McManus were, first and foremost, sharp business men. Once they got an offer they couldn’t refuse for those shares they would have sold up, no matter what they thought of Fergie.
For those not opening the twitter thread, I think two tweets deserve highlighting.

This one shows that the Glazers aren't continuously increasing United's revenue (which anyway wouldn't be something only they unique could have achieved):

And this one shows how much money the Glazers have been siphoning out of the club in the various ways detailed in the full thread. While you can say United have been able to spend a ton of money in the transfer market anyway, this money could have bought a nice (and apparently much-needed) stadium upgrade:

That’s an idea.

If we could get Fergie to basically call the Glazers a virus, Rio, Gary Neville, King Eric, all of those legends to call out the Glazers, demand they sell the club, couldn’t the movement United behind them? I know they get paid as directors, but surely, this has gone too far.

By the way, most clubs are purchased through leverage / loans. There seems to be a lot of hand wringing in the Caf about the way the Glazers bought United. It wasn’t the fact that they financed the purchase. It was the terms of the financing plus the way they listed common shares later on, that was a bit nefarious. Most billionaires buy clubs not with cash but with a loan, which are in turn secured by assets. The only difference is when a hedge fund or venture capital firm buys a club, they may do so with cash, but this is essentially from limited partners, not the managing partner’s own money.

my biggest issue with the Glazers is the lack of leadership from the owners of the club in building an organization that is world class. We’ve fallen behind in every way from the top 6. It’s a disgrace.

Infra-red

That’s an idea.

If we could get Fergie to basically call the Glazers a virus, Rio, Gary Neville, King Eric, all of those legends to call out the Glazers, demand they sell the club, couldn’t the movement United behind them? I know they get paid as directors, but surely, this has gone too far.

By the way, most clubs are purchased through leverage / loans. There seems to be a lot of hand wringing in the Caf about the way the Glazers bought United. It wasn’t the fact that they financed the purchase. It was the terms of the financing plus the way they listed common shares later on, that was a bit nefarious. Most billionaires buy clubs not with cash but with a loan, which are in turn secured by assets. The only difference is when a hedge fund or venture capital firm buys a club, they may do so with cash, but this is essentially from limited partners, not the managing partner’s own money.

my biggest issue with the Glazers is the lack of leadership from the owners of the club in building an organization that is world class. We’ve fallen behind in every way from the top 6. It’s a disgrace.
Getting Fergie and Gill to publicly turn on the Glazers would be massive. Sadly, it seems they would rather continue to stay silent and take the money.

Pearl.Jam

It’s just all too depressing and they ain’t going anywhere soon unfortunately, also if any cvnts on here dare try to defend these abhorrent fvcking pond life then they should be banned immediately

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Winning and competing attracts more fans and more sponsorship. Our lots are struggling to grasp that. They are happy with any old sponsorship deal rather than getting the really big boys. Also as has been mentioned guaranteed CL money each season.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Yes that's right. They only changed their rules when a London club was involved. But Burnley's case was absolutely cited as part of the reason FOR those rules to be looked at. I don't think it would be allowed today.
Well I don't know, the clauses in the Chelsea takeover were specifically called the Glazer clauses, not sure why they couldn't have been introduced for Burnley (I hope they don't have to endure the same mess we do).

Just feel the FA and the government have willingly overseen the decimation of a national institute! It may sound a little much, but we were the pinnacle of English football at the time, not long coming off a treble etc only to be sold off to leaches with no apparent "fit and proper" test.

Makes me sick.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, great idea. Just most United fans won't bother because it's effort.
But that's the beauty ... its no effort ... you can do it while watching TV from the comfort of your home. You don't even need to organize. You don't even need to disclose who you are.

Imagine being the head of communications or head of facilities and having to go to Gorman (Morgan Stanley), Solomon (Goldman Sachs) and Dimon (JP Morgan), and tell them that the reason that the head office's lines are jammed is because they got 1,000 calls today all asking for the bank to find a buyer for United. Just like the 1,000 calls they got yesterday. Just like the 1,000 calls they got the day before. Big banks would at least look at a possible deal. This would be covered by both mainstream media as well as business media. This would most certainly be covered in the US.

Edit: Again check your local laws on cold calling.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Anyone reading that thread and defending the Glazers can simply feck off to Florida with them and Trump.

Anyone not reading it should probably spare us their 'opinion'.

Pickle85

Blimey, that's an eye opener in a lot of ways. The particular surprise for me was recent commercial performance vs rivals. Leveraging united's marketing potential was the only area in which I thought they'd done well and it looks like even that was only par and now diminishing. A sobering read.

HookedOnAPhelan

We could’ve had a new stadium for that money. Or significantly upgraded OT and had plenty to spare. Or 5 Neymar’s.

clarkydaz

Well I don't know, the clauses in the Chelsea takeover were specifically called the Glazer clauses, not sure why they couldn't have been introduced for Burnley (I hope they don't have to endure the same mess we do).

Just feel the FA and the government have willingly overseen the decimation of a national institute! It may sound a little much, but we were the pinnacle of English football at the time, not long coming off a treble etc only to be sold off to leaches with no apparent "fit and proper" test.

Makes me sick.
The Glazer causes were put in by the club/Roman, not the government, i think?

dove

Feck those leeches. But they are not selling anytime soon. They made some stupid promises they won't keep but that was enough to stop the riot. And apparently we are getting some fresh lick of paint at OT so all good.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Interesting, I didn't know that, thought it was the government as they were the ones forcing the sale etc, suppose it was nice of Roman to do that for Chelsea, saves them massively.

DSG

Getting Fergie and Gill to publicly turn on the Glazers would be massive. Sadly, it seems they would rather continue to stay silent and take the money.
You’re probably right. Goddamn money is fecking evil sometimes. You’d think Sir Alex would finally say “enough is enough” and come out with a statement.

Infra-red

You’re probably right. Goddamn money is fecking evil sometimes. You’d think Sir Alex would finally say “enough is enough” and come out with a statement.
How rich do you need to be?

As you say, at some point he's surely got to take issue with them shredding his legacy and ruining the club. But perhaps not.

Rightnr

One of the things with (sufficiently) rich people is they care about their ego i.e. name and legacy.

It appears Sir Alex does not consider himself sufficiently wealthy. Disappointing tbh.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
SAF has given a few talks and interviews post-retirement hasn't he? Has any journalist directly confronted him over the Glazers issue? Highly doubtful that he'd have mentioned anything, with him holding an official position at the club, but still...

VanHaal'sRedArmy

One of the things with (sufficiently) rich people is they care about their ego i.e. name and legacy.

It appears Sir Alex does not consider himself sufficiently wealthy. Disappointing tbh.
Give the old gaffer a break. He's had a major health scare and it's a miracle he still alive. Problem lies solely with the execs that are running this club to the ground.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Ignoring the money they've taken out, it's incredible the financial advantage we had particularly in the 2014-2017 period and how badly they've messed it up to the point City and Liverpool have taken over.

clarkydaz

Ignoring the money they've taken out, it's incredible the financial advantage we had particularly in the 2014-2017 period and how badly they've messed it up to the point City and Liverpool have taken over.
just confirms success on the pitch trumps everything

Rightnr

Give the old gaffer a break. He's had a major health scare and it's a miracle he still alive. Problem lies solely with the execs that are running this club to the ground.
He's on the payroll. This is my personal opinion but if I had a major scare, I wouldn't be hanging around like him or I'd would want to be able to speak freely on the thing I spent 25 years building.

That's just me though

Infra-red

It's a damn shame. We could have built quite some team if we'd spent that money wisely. There were very few clubs at the time that could compete with us financially. Now it's all gone.

Fridge chutney

It doesn't matter if we get FDJ or not. With these succubus cnuts at the helm, we are doomed.

dave2528

The ride apparently never ends.

Feck me, that thread's a bleak read, and that's before you get to the sale of shares bit which just lays it out that the Glazers have drained over a billion dollars out of the club, while leaving us saddled with virtually the same amount of debt we've had since they took over.

I've no idea where this is all heading but the club cannot be run as poorly as their US football team has at times without there being dire consequences.

VanHaal'sRedArmy

He's on the payroll. This is my personal opinion but if I had a major scare, I wouldn't be hanging around like him or I'd would want to be able to speak freely on the thing I spent 25 years building.

That's just me though
So what if he's on payroll - it's Murtough and Arnold that essentially make the final decisions. If they want to make SAF the fall guy for their own failures - then feck them.

P0GBA

I was looking at the club's accounts from 2004 before the Glazers took over and even then we took out 35% of the club's earnings per share as dividends so it's not just the Glazers who've been taking money out of the club. It seems like the business model of clubs started to change when Roman took over Chelsea and started putting his own money in then with the City owners doing the same.

Reactions: Rood

terraloo

Supports
Chelsea
Yep it was RA that dictated the terms and conditions and to be honest he did the club proud in many ways . Please don’t read that in any way suggesting that his being sanctioned was wrong.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I was looking at the club's accounts from 2004 before the Glazers took over and even then we took out 35% of the club's earnings per share as dividends so it's not just the Glazers who've been taking money out if the club. It seems like the business model of clubs started to change when Roman took over Chelsea and started putting his own money in then the City owners doing the same.
Those shares were spread about though as would be the dividends. This lot own a majority of the shares.

LordSpud

So what if he's on payroll - it's Murtough and Arnold that essentially make the final decisions. If they want to make SAF the fall guy for their own failures - then feck them.
They have basically set SAF and the others who were assembled for that "consultancy" thing by Arnold as scapegoats in a way. They are providing views and insights. Its not really working.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I love how for a decade they put a complete ignoramus in charge of transfers AND the commercial side, and how he is gone the owners are deciding who to sell and vetoing Ronaldo's sale.

If the Glazer family were Liverpool fans who secretly set out to undermine this club in 2003 and ruin it from the ground up I genuinely don't think they would have done anything differently.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
Referencing that thread from a couple of weeks back:

In hindsight, allowing his loyalty to be bought by the Glazers will end up being Fergie's biggest mistake, as it relates to the wellbeing of Manchester United Football Club. No question about, really.

The leeches have destroyed any and all advantages Fergie built throughout his decades at the club.

RedDevilQuebecois

I think thats the thing that would anger me the most if my club were in that position.

They put the club into debt for the 'benefit' of them owning the club. If they made the club loads of money above and beyond this that would be I suppose justifiable.
'
Instead all they've done is ride the coat tails of a hugely inflationary financial situation in the premier league (most clubs have seen huge growth in incomes over that time period). Their growth is nothing beyond the other clubs up there towards the top of the table and in recent years has if anything started to get overtaken more readily by others. Secondly they also rode the coat tails of a very successful manager in Fergie who allowed the commercial side to flourish through continued on field success. no surprise that once he is gone for a few years the commercial growth has basically stopped as the thing that was propelling the growth was no longer present.

They basically do absolutely nothing that justifies the huge amount of leveraged debt they put on the club, nor the dividends, etc.

They've done nothing that any other chairman/board in any of the big 6 clubs haven't been able to do (and much better fwiw) than Man Utd. So why should they be able to leech off of the club as if they are adding value when if anything they are destroying value?
Excellent assessment.

The worse in all of this is that the writing had been on the wall for a while when one looks at the Glazers' management of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Between 2003 and 2019, the Glazers basically destroyed the legacy of their first Super Bowl title instead of building on it. If it wasn't for the lucky signing of Tom Brady (GOAT in his discipline) and Rob Gronkowski in 2020, their NFL team would still remain shit on the pitch while suffering more of the same issues that have plagued Manchester United in the last decade. You can find a bunch of rants from Buccs fans pre-Tom Brady on Twitter, and the same themes would overlap with United's problems over and over again.

The way they operate is just peak crookery. There is not one day when I wish that they get caught by the IRS or the FBI for illegal financial activities; that would precipitate a sale.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault
'Although Ed Woodward once argued, “Playing performance doesn’t really have a meaningful impact on what we can do on the commercial side of the business”, we have seen that this isn’t really the case.'
It is astounding that a group of intelligent, successful financiers and bankers didn't/don't understand such a basic concept especially when they own/run one of the worlds biggest football clubs. It explains a lot unfortunately. Just keep them ticking over. I expect it's an attitude that will never really change in Glazerland.

OmarUnited4ever

The sad part is that the Glazers could have even extracted more money from the club, if they just managed the club better and made sure the club was successful on the pitch, which would have meant greater and historic levels of revenues and then more dividends for them, they even fail as businessmen!

Imagine if United were successful in the period 2016 till 2019 (assuming the Glazers managed to do some work to restructure the football club between 2013-2016), if the club was successful in that period, I bet the annual revenues will easily be closer to the £1bn mark (without being successful, United got record revenues of £627.1M in 2019), as I said the Glazers aren't only leechers who sucked out millions out of the club, but they are shit businessmen who know nothing about how to maximize profits.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Almost certainly another £22.5m knocked off next seasons revenue then, on top of no CL money.

lex talionis

A damning indictment of the Glazer Era.

I have no doubt that Joel and whoever the other Glazers are understand that success on the pitch means more money in their Florida bank accounts, but it's clear that they did not appreciate how competitive other clubs would become in the annual chase for CL qualification. By 2015 or so it was clear City were here to stay for a long time, but 2018 or so it was clear Liverpool were here to stay for a long time, they should have always understood that Chelsea were always going to be a top four club, and by 2020 or so it was clear that Tottenham were always going to be in the hunt for a top four finish. And now it's clear that Arsenal are in the hunt for a top four finish. We just can't just show up and assume that fourth place was ours by divine right, which the Glazers were clearly banking on.