Switzerland - Euro 2021 Discussion

Swiss_Red89

I feel free to create a thread for the Swiss:)
We're facing:

12.06 Wales in Baku
16.06 Italy in Rome
20.06 Turkey again in Baku

I expect the game vs Wales to be decisive for us, win that one, and we'll go through. Lose this and I can see us finishing bottom of the table.

Our squad:
  • GK: Yann Sommer (Borussia Monchengladbach)
  • GK: Yvon Mvogo (PSV)
  • GK: Jonas Omlin (Montpellier)
  • DF: Ricardo Rodriguez (Torino)
  • DF: Manuel Akanji (Borussia Dortmund)
  • DF: Nico Elvedi (Borussia Monchengladbach)
  • DF: Loris Benito (Bordeaux)
  • DF: Eray Cömert (Basel)
  • DF: Silvan Widmer (Basel)
  • DF: Kevin Mbabu (Wolfsburg)
  • DF: Becir Omeragic (Zurich)
  • DF: Fabian Schär (Newcastle United)
  • DF: Jordan Lotomba (Nice)
  • MF: Granit Xhaka (Arsenal)
  • MF: Xherdan Shaqiri (Liverpool)
  • MF: Steven Zuber (Eintracht Frankfurt)
  • MF: Denis Zakaria (Borussia Monchengladbach)
  • MF: Remo Freuler (Atalanta)
  • MF: Edimilson Fernandes (Mainz)
  • MF: Djibril Sow (Eintracht Frankfurt)
  • MF: Christian Fassnacht (Young Boys)
  • FW: Haris Seferovic (Benfica)
  • FW: Admir Mehmedi (Wolfsburg)
  • FW: Breel Embolo (Borussia Monchengladbach)
  • FW: Mario Gavranovic (Dinamo Zagreb)
  • FW: Ruben Vargas (Augsburg)

For the first game vs Wales I think Petkovic will go with:

---------------Sommer------------------
--------Akanji---Schär---Elvedi-------
Mbabu-Xhaka-Freuler-Rodriguez
-----------------Shaqiri-------------------
--------Seferovic----Embolo------

How do you guys see this squad and our chances in the tournament?

Last edited:

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I think it looks like a fairly cohesive and decent counter attacking lineup. Akanji, Elvedi and Mbabu had decent or even quite good seasons in Bundesliga, Sommer and Zakaria have proven their quality in the past, but struggled lately. I don't know how good Rodriguez is these days, but it looks like a very solid defense and midfield. I guess the big question is whether Shaqiri can still be a difference maker and whether we will see Embolo's good side, where he gets some space and bullies defenders or his bad side, where he handles the ball like a frightened teenager.

Swiss_Red89

I think it looks like a fairly cohesive and decent counter attacking lineup. Akanji, Elvedi and Mbabu had decent or even quite good seasons in Bundesliga, Sommer and Zakaria have proven their quality in the past, but struggled lately. I don't know how good Rodriguez is these days, but it looks like a very solid defense and midfield. I guess the big question is whether Shaqiri can still be a difference maker and whether we will see Embolo's good side, where he gets some space and bullies defenders or his bad side, where he handles the ball like a frightened teenager.
True that, but you might be surprised when I tell you that we play more possession football than counterattacking football. We'll see a lot of the ball, especially against Wales. The question will be if we've enough penetration and quality to convert it into chances and goals. Shaqiri and Embolo the correct questions marks. (Especially with Embolo, there is always a lot of coincidence involved in his actions).
For the Wales game, I fear the counter attacking abillity of James and Bale, I can see us struggle with them.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
How has Embolo been developing these past few seasons ?
There was a fair amount of hype surrounding him and ,ofcourse, was strongly linked with a move to us not long ago.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
There was a fair amount of hype surrounding him and ,ofcourse, was strongly linked with a move to us not long ago.
His technique is mediocre at best and his finishing is inconsistent at best, too. He's an okay squad player for Gladbach.

Swiss_Red89

He has his strengths. One of them being able to move forward with the ball and go past players. Not because of technique, but thanks to his physique. Most parts of his game are very inconsistent (passing, finishing, decision making, dribbling). His technique is really average.

All in all, compared to what we've hoped for he has been really disappointing for the national team so far.
If you asked me which player should have the ball at his feet in the penalty area in injury time, he would be one of the last. I think this says a lot.

In a nutsheel, I think he could be described as a worse version of Danny Welbeck.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Swiss are always a very solid, well drilled team. Not much different to Sweden really.

Will get out of group and likely lose last 16 as usual.

Swiss_Red89

I love you Switzerland I doooooo, I love you Switzerland i dooooo. I love you Switzerland I dooooo, oooooooooooooooooh Switzerland I love you!

Shaqiri is the most lovely "scouse bastard" ever. I love you, you scouse bastard:devil:!

Last edited:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The mental fortitude to come back from that 1-3 after being 1-0 up and missing a pen is insane. Massive respect for them.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Great effort from everyone

Take a bow Granit Xhaka too... Absolutey superb. Arsenal fans must be wondering who that bloke was

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
First time I've ever seen Xhaka look great.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
They were superb in the first half. Great football, and they showed character to fight back against the tournament favourites. Big respect.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Sadly Xhaka is missing the game vs Spain due to yellow cards..

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pleased for them.

Been unlucky in some of their previous last 16 matches (can remember them being a minute from taking Argentina to penalties in 2014 WC) and amazing way to break that jinx so whatever happens now taking out France on penalties will be long remembered.

Were better team for most of 90 minutes yet were basically out with 10 minutes left so a game that will be recalled in 50 years time.

Swiss_Red89

Switzerland is absolutely rockiiiing at the moment :lol: Can't remember a moment where the nation was United like this. So proud and happy for this Team and our Country. Best football day of my life, for sure.

Gator Nate

So if you knock out the defending WC champs does that make you a favorite? :lol:

Seriously, though, props to the Swiss for that match. They played like they had nothing to lose and made it fun.

And Xhaka was on point.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
One thing I will say btw....surely Mbabu got to start next game ahead of Rodriguez on the left?!

I find it bizarre that selection given the way their careers have gone in last 3 years....one excellent for top level Bundesliga team while other struggles to get in Torino side who barely stayed up.

Mbabu played out of position and then dropped so that needs sorting as he could trouble Spain with his runs.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It was cute when Sommer couldn't believe he saved it so he had to ask if he was on the line :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Didn't realise Xhaka is now suspended for the Spain game... thats a killer for the Swiss.

2 bookings from 4 games = suspension is totally ridiculous... especially for the kinda of shit you can get booked for these days. Should be at least 3 bookings from the 4, or 2 in the groups.

Swiss_Red89

After the majority of the Swiss people were very critical of the "Schweizer Nati" before this tournament, the team has finally won the hearts of the Swiss with this victory.

The victory on Monday has triggered a wonderful football euphoria. Street parties were held all over Switzerland after the match until late into the night. Amazing videos going around :lol:

Now the quarter-final on a Friday evening. If we win this match, it will escalate completely here.

Last edited:

abundance

Supports
Inter
After the majority of the Swiss people were very critical of the "Schweizer Nati" before this tournament, the team has finally won the hearts of the Swiss with this victory.

The victory on Monday has triggered a wonderful football euphoria. Street parties were held all over Switzerland after the match until late into the night. Amazing videos going around :lol:

Now the quarter-final on a Friday evening. If we win this match, it will escalate completely here.
congrats dude, truly.

Honestly you didn't really look the part in the group stage but you've blossomed stupendously, fantastic team spirit, very well done

Swiss_Red89

congrats dude, truly.

Honestly you didn't really look the part in the group stage but you've blossomed stupendously, fantastic team spirit, very well done
Thank you mate.
The Wales Game was okay I felt. We just stopped playing football after the first goal and were punished by Wales.
The Italian game was horrible, no excuses for that. The critisism after that match from the whole country was extreme.
It looked like they had problems inside the squad. I even feared that we will be eliminated without a fight against Turkey.

I absolutely admire the mental strength and team spirit this guys showed for the Turkey game and especially for the last one.
And you also have to give Petkovic huge credit. He does a very good job but was never really liked in the german speaking part of switzerland for various reasons. But even he has won them all over now.

abundance

Supports
Inter
Thank you mate.
The Wales Game was okay I felt. We just stopped playing football after the first goal and were punished by Wales.
The Italian game was horrible, no excuses for that. The critisism after that match from the whole country was extreme.
It looked like they had problems inside the squad. I even feared that we will be eliminated without a fight against Turkey.

I absolutely admire the mental strength and team spirit this guys showed for the Turkey game and especially for the last one.
And you also have to give Petkovic huge credit. He does a very good job but was never really liked in the german speaking part of switzerland for various reasons. But even he has won them all over now.
Petkovic oh yeah

I remember liking him a lot when he coached Lazio in between his Swiss NT gigs some years ago.
And even then, there was a minority fringe of the fans that couldn't really stomach him, no idea why.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Didn't realise Xhaka is now suspended for the Spain game... thats a killer for the Swiss.

2 bookings from 4 games = suspension is totally ridiculous... especially for the kinda of shit you can get booked for these days. Should be at least 3 bookings from the 4, or 2 in the groups.
That's going to be a big miss. He was amazing against France.

Swiss_Red89

Oh dear my nerves. Had to finish work an hour ago because I wasn't able to concentrate and constantly switched the screen to pre-match reports :wenger:

Not sure I have experienced such a mix of
nervousness, anticipation, pride and euphoria before a football game yet.

I even think I have to wait until the tournement is over for us to really get excited about Sancho :devil: This just has prio 2 for me somehow in terms of football atm.

IncyWincySpider

If Swiss Meme Man is there again, and if the cameras pick him out, you'll win, even without Xhaka.

Hanks

Swiss fans are absolutely awesome.

Met a few of them so far pre-game next to stadium….such a fun bunch!

Go Swiss !!

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again

But it looks like Denis Zakaria will be his replacement. Doubtful he could replicate Xhaka's level of performance against France, but many rate Zakaria higher than Xhaka. It could be a blessing in disguise for the Swiss.