Switzerland - Euro 2021 Discussion

Swiss_Red89

I feel free to create a thread for the Swiss:)
We're facing:

12.06 Wales in Baku
16.06 Italy in Rome
20.06 Turkey again in Baku

I expect the game vs Wales to be decisive for us, win that one, and we'll go through. Lose this and I can see us finishing bottom of the table.

Our squad:
  • GK: Yann Sommer (Borussia Monchengladbach)
  • GK: Yvon Mvogo (PSV)
  • GK: Jonas Omlin (Montpellier)
  • DF: Ricardo Rodriguez (Torino)
  • DF: Manuel Akanji (Borussia Dortmund)
  • DF: Nico Elvedi (Borussia Monchengladbach)
  • DF: Loris Benito (Bordeaux)
  • DF: Eray Cömert (Basel)
  • DF: Silvan Widmer (Basel)
  • DF: Kevin Mbabu (Wolfsburg)
  • DF: Becir Omeragic (Zurich)
  • DF: Fabian Schär (Newcastle United)
  • DF: Jordan Lotomba (Nice)
  • MF: Granit Xhaka (Arsenal)
  • MF: Xherdan Shaqiri (Liverpool)
  • MF: Steven Zuber (Eintracht Frankfurt)
  • MF: Denis Zakaria (Borussia Monchengladbach)
  • MF: Remo Freuler (Atalanta)
  • MF: Edimilson Fernandes (Mainz)
  • MF: Djibril Sow (Eintracht Frankfurt)
  • MF: Christian Fassnacht (Young Boys)
  • FW: Haris Seferovic (Benfica)
  • FW: Admir Mehmedi (Wolfsburg)
  • FW: Breel Embolo (Borussia Monchengladbach)
  • FW: Mario Gavranovic (Dinamo Zagreb)
  • FW: Ruben Vargas (Augsburg)

For the first game vs Wales I think Petkovic will go with:

---------------Sommer------------------
--------Akanji---Schär---Elvedi-------
Mbabu-Xhaka-Freuler-Rodriguez
-----------------Shaqiri-------------------
--------Seferovic----Embolo------

How do you guys see this squad and our chances in the tournament?

Last edited:

do.ob

I think it looks like a fairly cohesive and decent counter attacking lineup. Akanji, Elvedi and Mbabu had decent or even quite good seasons in Bundesliga, Sommer and Zakaria have proven their quality in the past, but struggled lately. I don't know how good Rodriguez is these days, but it looks like a very solid defense and midfield. I guess the big question is whether Shaqiri can still be a difference maker and whether we will see Embolo's good side, where he gets some space and bullies defenders or his bad side, where he handles the ball like a frightened teenager.

Swiss_Red89

I think it looks like a fairly cohesive and decent counter attacking lineup. Akanji, Elvedi and Mbabu had decent or even quite good seasons in Bundesliga, Sommer and Zakaria have proven their quality in the past, but struggled lately. I don't know how good Rodriguez is these days, but it looks like a very solid defense and midfield. I guess the big question is whether Shaqiri can still be a difference maker and whether we will see Embolo's good side, where he gets some space and bullies defenders or his bad side, where he handles the ball like a frightened teenager.
True that, but you might be surprised when I tell you that we play more possession football than counterattacking football. We'll see a lot of the ball, especially against Wales. The question will be if we've enough penetration and quality to convert it into chances and goals. Shaqiri and Embolo the correct questions marks. (Especially with Embolo, there is always a lot of coincidence involved in his actions).
For the Wales game, I fear the counter attacking abillity of James and Bale, I can see us struggle with them.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
How has Embolo been developing these past few seasons ?
There was a fair amount of hype surrounding him and ,ofcourse, was strongly linked with a move to us not long ago.

do.ob

There was a fair amount of hype surrounding him and ,ofcourse, was strongly linked with a move to us not long ago.
His technique is mediocre at best and his finishing is inconsistent at best, too. He's an okay squad player for Gladbach.

Swiss_Red89

He has his strengths. One of them being able to move forward with the ball and go past players. Not because of technique, but thanks to his physique. Most parts of his game are very inconsistent (passing, finishing, decision making, dribbling). His technique is really average.

All in all, compared to what we've hoped for he has been really disappointing for the national team so far.
If you asked me which player should have the ball at his feet in the penalty area in injury time, he would be one of the last. I think this says a lot.

In a nutsheel, I think he could be described as a worse version of Danny Welbeck.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Swiss are always a very solid, well drilled team. Not much different to Sweden really.

Will get out of group and likely lose last 16 as usual.