Switzerland WC 2022 (s)watch

Swiss_Red89

I've hardly ever started a thread on this Forum. And I'm fully aware that Switzerland is hardly on anyone's radar for the World Cup. But will start this one...

What you guys think of Switzerland's chances in a group involving Brazil, Serbia and Cameroon? And which are the players you're aware of?

I think the player to watch will be Noah Okafor who plays for RB Salzburg. Will soon move to the Bundesliga. Very talented left winger, scored some goals in this years Champions League (against Milan and at the Bridge for example) and we will need him to absolutely explode if we are about to win the thing;)

Otherwise we have a very solid starting eleven. Sommer in Goal (who's expected to be fit in time), Schär, Akanji, Xhaka who all start for the top three in the PL. Freuler from Nottingham, Embolo who has scored quite few goals for Monaco in Ligue 1 this season. And not to forget Xherdan Shaqiri who has scored 10 goals already on major tournaments for Switzerland.

Last edited:

Swiss_Red89

I expect the following lineup for the opener vs Cameroon:

Sommer
Widmer Akanji Schär Rodriguez
Freuler Xhaka Sow/Zakaria
Shaq Embolo Okafor

Last edited:

Idxomer

They always progress from the group stages, I don't expect that to happen this time.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I'll remain neutral on their chances. Their squad is full of holes but Xhaka's in form which is a big plus.

Steffa Barnesa

Well, their match against France in the last Euros was the game of the tournament for me. Just fantastic, exactly what you want to see in big tournament football. Xhaka was great in that game, as was Zuber. It also feels like I've been watching Sommer, Shaqiri, Seferovic, Rodriguez and Embolo for years! They're just the sort of familiar faces you see cropping up at tournaments, and they've all been impressive at times. It mustn't be forgotten that you also nearly beat Spain in the QFs at the Euros. I notice you have a new manager this time round, though, and if there's been one standout problem it's been your strikers aren't exactly prolific.

One of the most exciting things about this World Cup, initially, will be seeing how tight groups pan out (ie who out of Poland and Mexico will qualify with Argentina?). And Switzerland/Serbia/Cameroon competing for a qualifying spot with Brazil is one of the most interesting groups imo. I think you have a great chance, but that's mainly down to your recent history of getting out of groups, and of Serbia often disappointing in the finals. But Serbia have a strong set of forwards, so I'd be a bit worried if I were Swiss, but for me it's an exciting group.

Last edited:

Swiss_Red89

Well, their match against France in the last Euros was the game of the tournament for me. Just fantastic, exactly what you want to see in big tournament football. Xhaka was great in that game, as was Zuber. It also feels like I've been watching Sommer, Shaqiri, Seferovic, Rodriguez and Embolo for years! They're just the sort of familiar faces you see cropping up at tournaments, and they've all been impressive at times. It mustn't be forgotten that you also nearly beat Spain in the QFs at the Euros. I notice you have a new manager this time round, though, and if there's been one standout problem it's been your strikers aren't exactly prolific.

One of the most exciting things about this World Cup, initially, will be seeing how tight groups pan out (ie who out of Poland and Mexico will qualify with Argentina?). And Switzerland/Serbia/Cameroon competing for a qualifying spot with Brazil is one of the most interesting groups imo. I think you have a great chance, but that's mainly down to your recent history of getting out of groups, and of Serbia often disappointing in the finals. But Serbia have a strong set of forwards, so I'd be a bit worried if I were Swiss, but for me it's an exciting group.
Very good summary.

Match vs France Euro 2021: Will never forget these emotions. Also the scenes in the whole country after the game where unbeliveable.

New Coach: Yakin is an ex pro who played for the Nationalteam and in the Bundesliga. Pragmatic, smart tactician with a lot of charisma. Managed to leave Italy behind in the Qualy so credit where its due. Remains to be seen if he's up to the task at the biggest stage.

Group: One of the thoughest groups for me. Can see it go either way for Switzerland. Will be decided on margins.

Serbia: We beat them in Russia 2018. They will want revanche. But isn't Mitrovic injured and a major doubt for their first game? Also Vlahovic seems to have some fitness issues.

Steffa Barnesa

Very good summary.

Match vs France Euro 2021: Will never forget these emotions. Also the scenes in the whole country after the game where unbeliveable.

New Coach: Yakin is an ex pro who played for the Nationalteam and in the Bundesliga. Pragmatic, smart tactician with a lot of charisma. Managed to leave Italy behind in the Qualy so credit where its due. Remains to be seen if he's up to the task at the biggest stage.

Group: One of the thoughest groups for me. Can see it go either way for Switzerland. Will be decided on margins.

Serbia: We beat them in Russia 2018. They will want revanche. But isn't Mitrovic injured and a major doubt for their first game? Also Vlahovic seems to have some fitness issues.
Very kind, thankyou! Forgot it was Italy you finished ahead - that bodes well. Yeah, Serbia seem to have some issues but if it's all to play for in that last game I guess they'll be ready for that at least. I suppose after offering up such a classic game as vs. France in the last Euros, I'd like you to do well but football is fickle and you're right, it will be down to fine margins.

You mentioning Russia 2018 reminded me you also had Brazil in the group then, and that the game against Serbia was lively as well, which serves to make it even more interesting. Good to hear from supporters of other nations and learn a bit more as the tournament approaches :D

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Always a very solid, professional outfit who usually defy the predictions and get out of tricky groups. Basically taken over the role Sweden had for many years at World cups.

That said despite the high of the last euros in a) finally winning a knock out game and b) it being France so real legacy moment I too aren't sure you'll get ouf of the groups this time despite it still being a reasonably good spine.

I always thought Mbabu would kick on as he was really good for Wolfsburg a few years back but now back to warming a premier league bench. From being highly rated at 'Gladbach Zakaria's career has stalled in last two years, again hardly played for Chelsea at all despite them having many injuries in central midfield.

Shaqiri now in MLS so his intensity won't be quite so good although could always pop in a free kick or long ranger.

Did very well to get a draw off Brazil in last world cup, can't see the same happening again so it will all come down to the Serbia match.

GlasgowCeltic

Mention of Yakin had me googling the careers of the two brothers, both looked excellent players on the few occasions I watched them

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
I'll remain neutral on their chances. Their squad is full of holes but Xhaka's in form which is a big plus.
I see what you did Schär. This watch thread is in fact a swatch thread!

The matches' ordering is quite nice. And the weather of course!
After a 1-1 draw against Cameroon we'll face Brazil who after their no chance loss against Serbia basically have to beat us. Everyone knows what that means, it's Sidewaypassing Granit time and a match for Embolo to advertise he's something of a star striker when the weather is fine.
But oh the weather! Oh dear!
Meanwhile, Cameroon feels very much at home and disects the Serbs like never before seen. Brazil out at this point, but what side will advance? Well, Cameroon! They'll lose their match against Neymar Junior, you'll see, but there ain't gonna be no draw between Srbija and Suisse. My two cents are on us and Brazil going couchmode soon. Should Brazil win games - god beware - and against all odds advance to KO stage, the Serbia game would become really important; but I doubt that. An Amselfeld provocation or two should be enough, I feel.

Mention of Yakin had me googling the careers of the two brothers, both looked excellent players on the few occasions I watched them
Indeed, and I can follow you, if by watching you mean eating, by brothers turkey and Yakin was a typo for X-mas. Guys were effing awful.

Swiss_Red89

I see what you did Schär. This watch thread is in fact a swatch thread!

The matches' ordering is quite nice. And the weather of course!
After a 1-1 draw against Cameroon we'll face Brazil who after their no chance loss against Serbia basically have to beat us. Everyone knows what that means, it's Sidewaypassing Granit time and a match for Embolo to advertise he's something of a star striker when the weather is fine.
But oh the weather! Oh dear!
Meanwhile, Cameroon feels very much at home and disects the Serbs like never before seen. Brazil out at this point, but what side will advance? Well, Cameroon! They'll lose their match against Neymar Junior, you'll see, but there ain't gonna be no draw between Srbija and Suisse. My two cents are on us and Brazil going couchmode soon. Should Brazil win games - god beware - and against all odds advance to KO stage, the Serbia game would become really important; but I doubt that. An Amselfeld provocation or two should be enough, I feel.

Indeed, and I can follow you, if by watching you mean eating, by brothers turkey and Yakin was a typo for X-mas. Guys were effing awful.
strange but funny post :lol: Especially the very first part. Inspired me to rename the thread.:D

Swiss_Red89

Always a very solid, professional outfit who usually defy the predictions and get out of tricky groups. Basically taken over the role Sweden had for many years at World cups.

That said despite the high of the last euros in a) finally winning a knock out game and b) it being France so real legacy moment I too aren't sure you'll get ouf of the groups this time despite it still being a reasonably good spine.

I always thought Mbabu would kick on as he was really good for Wolfsburg a few years back but now back to warming a premier league bench. From being highly rated at 'Gladbach Zakaria's career has stalled in last two years, again hardly played for Chelsea at all despite them having many injuries in central midfield.

Shaqiri now in MLS so his intensity won't be quite so good although could always pop in a free kick or long ranger.

Did very well to get a draw off Brazil in last world cup, can't see the same happening again so it will all come down to the Serbia match.
Mbabu didn't even make the squad...which was the only real surprise in Yakin's selection though.

For me also a bit surprising as we now have only one left und one right back in the squad. I'm not quite sure what the plan is if one of them gets injures. We either switch to a 3-5-2 or have to play players out of position. (Akanji at RB for example).

Trumpeter Whydah

Supports
Full Members
Friendly against Ghana today. They lost 2-0.

First half was played in a 3-2-3-2 without deep runs, exciting stuff. 45' of giving their best to not run more than once every five minutes.

Should have conceeded more than two, yet Yakin liked the performance.

I didn't (sac'd my lunch for it), but was happy to see Freuler is in beast mode again. Say what you want, he is our star player!

Tremendous star player indeed!

Shaq played but was shown only when breathing heavy.

Okafor showed he has class, but missed a good one. And, of course, Ghanese keeper Zigi from Saint Gall played a fantastic match. Great guy, really; will be interesting to see where he moves to next.

Nice to see was the lineswoman Amal Jamal running up and down under her hijab as if it's nothing, in freaking UAE. Collected most miles, and by a distance!

NoPace

My feeling is that you should always buy low and sell high on Xhaka and at the minute he's on a huge high so I'll say he gets a red against Serbia or Cameroon and they go out.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
They have my full support firstly due to the clever thread title ((s)watch) and also because I have placed a bet on them to reach the QF stage.

I went to watch Ireland play Switzerland in Geneva in 2019, I still have nightmares about the grave mistake I made when we decided to order a bottle of wine from the hotel bar without checking the prices. Discovered on checkout it was nearly as much as the room. You still have my support though.

Swiss_Red89

They have my full support firstly due to the clever thread title ((s)watch) and also because I have placed a bet on them to reach the QF stage.

I went to watch Ireland play Switzerland in Geneva in 2019, I still have nightmares about the grave mistake I made when we decided to order a bottle of wine from the hotel bar without checking the prices. Discovered on checkout it was nearly as much as the room. You still have my support though.
:lol: Never order anything without checking the price, especially in Geneva and Zurich.

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
I am a bit worried about our chances if I am honest.

- Sommer looked awful in the friendly. Clearly not match-fit. Wouldn’t mind seeing Kobel in goal in the first game.

- If either Widmer or Rodriguez are suspended or injured, we’re essentially done. I like Yakin, but not picking Lotomba who can play both full back positions is criminal.

My only hope is that Yakin is a far better coach than Petkovic (especially in a tournament setting) and that we finally have some quality up front with Okafor and Embolo both in form.

Swiss_Red89

Embolo the Cameroun striker scores the winning goal against Cameroun.

Ide Schwizer Nati isch de Breel dihei. :devil:

Loved it. Can we go all the way?

Swiss_Red89

Granit "the hacker" Xhaka with anothter boss performance. ;)

Last edited:

Goldfiessli

Supports
FC Basel
Both Akanji and Elvedi already on a yellow which is not ideal. Schär is good, but if both get a suspension for the same game and we have to go with Cömert, then we are done.

Swiss_Red89

Both Akanji and Elvedi already on a yellow which is not ideal. Schär is good, but if both get a suspension for the same game and we have to go with Cömert, then we are done.
Agree. Cömert is shit. Wouldn't mind Schär though. I would prefer him to Elvedi anyway.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
I'm now a half-Swiss fan, having lived here for more than 4 years now. The sort of fan who would like to see them do well, but will not care so much if/when they go out.

The game against Brazil on Monday evening should be very interesting. I wouldn't put it past them to get a point from that game, but even still - you feel it'll come down to the last game vs Serbia.

Swiss_Red89

So Sommer and Elvedi out with the flue.

Kobel (Dortmund) and Schär (you guys will know him) in.

Hopp Schwiz. What a game. Granit ready for his albanian brothers on his insta stories :lol: :devil: Hope he can keep his emotions on point and peform another Xhaka boom!