4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RedIan

• Chong looks promising and potentially exciting. I thought he did ok in a dour team performanc. Needs a few sub appearances as does young Gomes. Bring them on a bit more when the game looks won at 60 minues.

Mr PG

Watched him live a few times. He has been shoehorned to the right simply because that’s our area of need but Tahith is not an inverted winger in a million years.

Used to be breathtaking on the left as he loves to hug the touch line. He’s an old fashioned left winger.

khoazany

As an out and out winger, not that there are many left, doesn't he lack a little speed? He just didn't strike me as a young Giggs or anything close, and he is two years older than when he broke through...
No. And what makes people think he's an out and out winger? He can play at one, but he roams to the middle quite a lot these days in the U23s and take a lot of shots through there.

Devil may care

It'd help if he played with forwards that moved, instead of the concrete pillar we had stood up there today.
Sure, I'm just saying he looked a bit nervy to me and the things he did try, like that crossfield ball, didn't come off for him.

El Jefe

Surprise surprise he's not ready yet. Hopefully people will stop saying he's the answer to our RW problem ths season and next season because its obvious he's not ready yet.

Personally I don't even think he's good enough to make it here long term but I guess we'll find out in due time.

Andersons Dietician

Felt like it was a bit of a weird choice to switch to 442 for a bit and put Fellaini up top when you have two flyers like Chong and Rashford. Think we would have been better to push those two closer to Lukaku and let them run at them on the break. Thought he looked decent enough with what we did see of him, reminded me a bit of Martial always coming looking for the ball when really I’d want him stretching teams.

pascell

Sure, I'm just saying he looked a bit nervy to me and the things he did try, like that crossfield ball, didn't come off for him.
Yeah I know what you mean, trying too hard to impress and nervy like a few of our players. He'll be fine though, hopefully we get a favourable next round tie and he gets some more minutes.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Young lad hard to judge at the moment. Athletically looks good enough for this level but his problem is he can’t be as one dimensional as he is right now. When I see Gomes - he looked ready from a football brain and technical range POV but this kid still seems raw technically.

Can’t hurt having him involved though as we lack pace in the RW position and at least he’s an outlet from a tactical POV.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I think he is not ready yet, but he is still young, and look pacy and adventurous.

mu4c_20le

I think he's ready for more appearances. He's beaten more players than Sanchez in his little cameo, and should be on the bench more often if there are any injuries.

SAFMUTD

Hard reality he is no where near the level required for the premier. I know he is a youngster but 19 is an age where special youngsters are already proving his worth.

I’m talking about real top talents like Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Sancho, Sane, Sterling, Rashford, Alli, Martial that were on another level by that age.

Dont missunderstand me, I’m not saying he is a bump or that he is not going to make it, but if he is that good as the caf claims we should expect a lot more from him, specially against such weak opposition.

ottosec

He didn't look ready. Might have been just debut nerves, hopefully he'll get some more chances soon.

Bola

Another thread about an academy prospect where he gets dumped on from a great height. Seems some fans are expecting a 2016 Cristiano Ronaldo to wander out to the pitch

Chong did well on his debut today. Confident attitude, tried to make things happen and always wanted the ball. Definitely worth keeping around the match day squad given our lack of options around there

Crashoutcassius

moves quite well but looked a bit nervous. I often think home debuts are harder, we don't have a choice but he could well be under less pressure in another fixture.

Beaucoup

Great little cameo from Chong today, always wanted the ball, which shows good confidence and self belief, I’m sure he will be chomping at the bit to get another chance. Full marks to Ole for chucking him on.

dbs235

Some saying he looked nervy, some saying he looked confident?

snk123

Classic knee jerk reaction by some. He played less than 30 minutes ffs in a poor disjointed team with 40% possession. Give him a break!

Pace Abuser

I sincerely hope fans stop clamouring for reserve players to play now. They're no where near ready.
Chong was blooded in correctly, but the people who ask for 3 odd reserve players to START at the same time (just because it's Reading) are bonkers.

BaseFishing

I wasn't impressed by him, but I do understand the people who are saying not to expect too much from a little cameo or not to be too quick to judge.

Nevertheless, this is Manchester United. I only tend to get excited about players who look like they might become world-class. Anything short just doesn't do it for me. If it did, I'd be supporting Reading.

SteveW

Classic knee jerk reaction by some. He played less than 30 minutes ffs in a poor disjointed team with 40% possession. Give him a break!
I would think that today would come as no surprise to those who watch him regularly. He's talented but isn't ready for the first team. Those saying he is either haven't watched him much or have poor judgement.

He needs more time. He's still very light and he lost a full year of development through injury. A loan may be beneficial but I'd say the championship would be too physical for him right now. Maybe a Dutch team might be a decent loan option.

Kostov

Some saying he looked nervy, some saying he looked confident?
He looked nervy when he came on, but I felt he grew into the game. Misplaced a long pass that's usually an easy thing for a player of his ability. Reading were aggressive also and we had less possession, just to point out the nature of the game. For perspective Rashford came on for the LW, and was worse in my opinion.

The boy has got talent, even though he ain't ready. But how will he get ready if not by playing. I hope to see more of him in the first team.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Hate myself for that as he's our academy product but I don't see it yet. I sure want to know what those who think he's the answer for the first team drink.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Hate myself for that as he's our academy product but I don't see it yet. I sure want to know what those who think he's the answer for the first team drink.
Watch him for the youth team and make your own judgement instead of relying on other people’s opionions on him.

Ekeke

He looked nervy when he came on, but I felt he grew into the game. Misplaced a long pass that's usually an easy thing for a player of his ability. Reading were aggressive also and we had less possession, just to point out the nature of the game. For perspective Rashford came on for the LW, and was worse in my opinion.

The boy has got talent, even though he ain't ready. But how will he get ready if not by playing. I hope to see more of him in the first team.
By going out on loan

Kostov

By going out on loan
Considering how shit we are finding suitable clubs for our youngsters to go out on loan, and the simple fact that we have average players like Lingard and Mata starting for us at RW, I'd rather he stays here.

Tomuś

Watch him for the youth team and make your own judgement instead of relying on other people’s opionions on him.
I actually do, from time to time. Used to watch it en masse when Pogbas, Morrisons and Tunnicliffes were breaking through but still catch a game whenever I can. I've also learned to try taking into account the glaring difference between the youth teams and cutting it on Saturday. Perhaps you should drink a glass of cold water before jumping on somebody as opinions, as you should know, may differ.

Red00012

Hard reality he is no where near the level required for the premier. I know he is a youngster but 19 is an age where special youngsters are already proving his worth.

I’m talking about real top talents like Messi, Ronaldo, Mbappe, Sancho, Sane, Sterling, Rashford, Alli, Martial that were on another level by that age.

Dont missunderstand me, I’m not saying he is a bump or that he is not going to make it, but if he is that good as the caf claims we should expect a lot more from him, specially against such weak opposition.
So BT said he’s 17 , sky sports said 18 and you’ve said he’s 19 what age is he ?

El Jefe

I sincerely hope fans stop clamouring for reserve players to play now. They're no where near ready.
Chong was blooded in correctly, but the people who ask for 3 odd reserve players to START at the same time (just because it's Reading) are bonkers.
Happens all the time and people never learn. Go back to last season's thread and you'll see people putting TFM and Pereira in their first 11.

If a youth team player is ready more often than not they'll be played. The exception to that rule is probably Pogba but with hindsight Fergie was probably right that Pogba needed a bit more developing.

Chong's case however was particularly frustrating because its very obvious he isn't ready. He'll be eaten alive physically in the PL with his current frame.

Ekeke

Considering how shit we are finding suitable clubs for our youngsters to go out on loan, and the simple fact that we have average players like Lingard and Mata starting for us at RW, I'd rather he stays here.
I think a young player has more chance of going out on loan and doing well and becoming a better player, than watching on from the sidelines while those players play instead of him and our right wing is used as an extra central midfielder like with Mata and Lingard.

All that can really happen with Chong is that he learns to do what Lingard and Mata do, which is what you're complaining about.

The loan route is not a sure fire way of success but if hes good enough he'll find a place in the team and get used to playing against adults rather than just watching and then being expected to make a big difference when he comes on.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I actually do, from time to time. Used to watch it en masse when Pogbas, Morrisons and Tunnicliffes were breaking through but still catch a game whenever I can. I've also learned to try taking into account the glaring difference between the youth teams and cutting it on Saturday. Perhaps you should drink a glass of cold water before jumping on somebody as opinions, as you should know, may differ.
Maybe you do, I don’t know that, all I know is that Chong is a very talented lad and that’s a general agreement for everyone I know regularly watches him. Whatever he makes that step up or not is a different matter. And your last statement lacks self awareness; you called me out for “jumping” on your opinion whilst in the statement I quoted you insinuated people who disagreed with your opinion took a different “drink” to you.

Tomuś

No and I can’t see anybody who is asking for that. Just give him some time. Relax
It's funny because that's what I'm doing. There were countless people saying he should dislodge any of our attacking players. Paradoxically, this hyping up can only be a bad thing. Remember Januzaj? He was way ahead and even he messed it up. Give him time and stop asking for him to start every time one of our attackers plays poorly. The talent's there but it's a youth team gem, not a ready first team player, as simple as that. Relax, indeed and give him time:).

Status
Not open for further replies.