4.9 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony247

He might have a talent but he has few years of development still in him. Experience of competitive league will help his development.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
A regular observer of the youth team gives his opinion on Tahith Chong's chances of making the first team.

luke511

If he isn't breaking into the side when we're so starved of options on the right then there's not much hope for him. His frame isn't built for top flight football on the wing either, he needs to gain a lot more muscle to make up for his lankiness. That hair isn't doing him any favours either.

In Rainbows

Not sure how Chong is ready, but Gomes is not. He's paper thin and with a style that relies on shoulder to shoulders, he will be outmuscled. His finishing is quite poor as well. I like Chong, but he should get a loan outside of England to let his body catch up to his game. I will say that he's a spark plug and so if he's given a chance to impress from the bench, I wouldn't put it past him to make his mark over others.

haram

If he isn't breaking into the side when we're so starved of options on the right then there's not much hope for him. His frame isn't built for top flight football on the wing either, he needs to gain a lot more muscle to make up for his lankiness. That hair isn't doing him any favours either.
What’s his hair got to do with anything?

luke511

What’s his hair got to do with anything?
It's not really viable if you plan on being a top level athlete. You think Usain Bolt would get away with having hair like that? Also you can see how often it gets in his face when he's playing, I'm surprised he hasn't already been told to shave it off to be fair.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Not sure how Chong is ready, but Gomes is not. He's paper thin and with a style that relies on shoulder to shoulders, he will be outmuscled. His finishing is quite poor as well. I like Chong, but he should get a loan outside of England to let his body catch up to his game. I will say that he's a spark plug and so if he's given a chance to impress from the bench, I wouldn't put it past him to make his mark over others.
What?! Gomes is a playmaker that likes to dribble. He in no way gets involved in challenges of muscle unless he's tackled.

Height really isn't as important as it used to be.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
What?! Gomes is a playmaker that likes to dribble. He in no way gets involved in challenges of muscle unless he's tackled.

Height really isn't as important as it used to be.
He's talking about Chong I think..

flappyjay

It's not really viable if you plan on being a top level athlete. You think Usain Bolt would get away with having hair like that? Also you can see how often it gets in his face when he's playing, I'm surprised he hasn't already been told to shave it off to be fair.
Has to ponytail it or plait it during the season instead of keeping it as an afro

Silas

All he needs is a headband (which he uses). Sane manages alright.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He might have a talent but he has few years of development still in him. Experience of competitive league will help his development.
agreed a couple of years on loan wouldnt be a bad idea - not sure what level that would be at the moment but needs to go somewhere he will get games - probably not the championship

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
agreed a couple of years on loan wouldnt be a bad idea - not sure what level that would be at the moment but needs to go somewhere he will get games - probably not the championship
Bundesliga is the most similar in speed to the premier league, so a lower level side there could be good.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Bundesliga is the most similar in speed to the premier league, so a lower level side there could be good.
provided he would get games that would seem logical - especially if the team wasnt too far from Holland and friends / family etc - afterall he is an 18 year old kid ... leverkusen (presuming they loose brandt and bailly this summer anyway they could do with a couple of wingers?)

In Rainbows

He's talking about Chong I think..
Yep. I was talking about Chong. Gomes doesn't like to dribble his way past defenders at every opportunity. Gomes likes to be patient and doesn't force the issue. He'll dribble when there is space in front of him or he'll do it when it isn't a stand still moment. Chong is a winger so naturally will dribble on the by line.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
If you forward the vid to 2.32. Chong actually does well to go shoulder to shoulder with a defender that is physically stronger than him. The Stoke player ends up blatantly fouling him to stop him.

elnorte

Freaky fly day
So the general consensus is that Chong probably won't make it in terms of him being good enough for the first team? Sad to see as we've had a few disappointments in this respect over the last few years.

BlahRules

Chong will be fine. If sterling can make it at a tender age of 18 with a smaller phisque than Chong then I am sure he can.

Chong beeds to given minutes to shine, otherwise no point. Too bad he is not English otherwise he would had the minutes.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So the general consensus is that Chong probably won't make it in terms of him being good enough for the first team? Sad to see as we've had a few disappointments in this respect over the last few years.
I personally rate Chong and think he can make it.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Chong will be fine. If sterling can make it at a tender age of 18 with a smaller phisque than Chong then I am sure he can.

Chong beeds to given minutes to shine, otherwise no point. Too bad he is not English otherwise he would had the minutes.
Sterling has a low centre of gravity though, totally different. It's not only about strength, it's also about how you use your body. At the moment Chong is fairly weak and pretty tall and is only OK at using his body to shield the ball. He needs to improve both strength and the way he uses his body in order to make it IMO, but that isn't necessarily a huge task, he's only young.

Red00012

This excuse has been used for years but times have changed.

Just look at Bernardo Silva he is one of the best wingers in the PL at the moment. Raheem Sterling is another prime example of if you’re good enough it doesn’t matter what height or upper body strength you have.

I’m not saying Chong is going to be as good as them but size doesn’t matter much if you have the ability.

luke511

This excuse has been used for years but times have changed.

Just look at Bernardo Silva he is one of the best wingers in the PL at the moment. Raheem Sterling is another prime example of if you’re good enough it doesn’t matter what height or upper body strength you have.

I’m not saying Chong is going to be as good as them but size doesn’t matter much if you have the ability.
Height has everything to do with it, Sterling and Bernardo Silva may be thin as well but they're small, their mass and muscle is more proportionate therefore they have a much better centre of gravity compared to Chong so they get away with it.

izec

Would be surprised if he made it at United, i rate some above him. Think he needs a lot of game time at senior level to see how he really does. Then again if Lingard made it, so can he.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Height has everything to do with it, Sterling and Bernardo Silva may be thin as well but they're small, their mass and muscle is more proportionate therefore they have a much better centre of gravity compared to Chong so they get away with it.
Plus they have better touch and passing than Chong so they are naturally going to find it easier to maintain possession even against physical teams. Just totally different styles of player all round really.

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
Better than the rest of the garbage out there. Should start ahead of Rashford.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Not ready for this level but he was the only one who played with any urgency even though you were

a) drawing against Huddersfield
b) fighting for CL qualification

Deserves some credit and unlucky with his attempt on goal.

lsd

The Oracle

How good do you have to be to make it in this team ?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
The only thing I enjoyed from today I think besides our goal.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Next game should be a chance for Ole to look at some of our younger players. If nothing else a good performance will encourage clubs to offer loan spells for them and a poor performance isn't any different at this stage. Give Chong and Gomes a start.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I’ve seen him fall over almost more than any other first team professional footballer in about 3 appearances

Status
Not open for further replies.