Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Baby Giggs/Andrei at the moment!

We really look to have a potentially great generation coming through right now. Think Chong, Gomes, Axel and Greenwood have a very good chance of being involved with the first team in the future - and at least two as potential first XI players. From one group, that’s fantastic.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Fun player to watch. Quick feet and not afraid to beat his man. As others have said, he looks so much better playing on the left too.

rotherham_red

If we dont give those kids full minutes in EL, then whats the point, that decision would be beneficial in so many ways.
Ole's pretty much confirmed they'll be played in the EL group stage, but tbh if we get no one else in, I could quite easily see Gomes and Greenwood breaking through to the first team proper cos both a) seem to be ready; and b) there are gaping holes in the squad in the positions they play.

Chong could even be in with a shout to deputise Martial on the left.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

We really look to have a potentially great generation coming through right now. Think Chong, Gomes, Axel and Greenwood have a very good chance of being involved with the first team in the future - and at least two as potential first XI players. From one group, that’s fantastic.
Aged 23 or younger players in our first team right now or with serious hopes and expectations for that level or are at premier league level this season:
  • Anthony Martial (23)
  • Joel Pereira (23)
  • Scott McTominay (22)
  • Dean Henderson (22)
  • Marcus Rashford (21)
  • Daniel James (21)
  • Axel Tuanzebe (21)
  • Wan Bissaka (21)
  • Diogo Dalot (20)
  • Tahith Chong (19)
  • Angel Gomes (18)
  • Mason Greenwood (17)
Shaw also just turned 24 last week. James Garner at 17 as well! 3 basically guaranteed starters of that list, a couple who could/probably will become that by the end of the season or very early into the season, a couple who are basically first choice replacements if someone picks up an injury, and then a few who are just ridiculously promising and many in the club probably expect them to become starting players soon enough as well. Just a ridiculously young and promising squad we have, but it'll be important for everyone to show patience with all of them! Especially players like Chong, pacey wingers of his style tend to take a while to really develop and iron out the inconsistencies, but the potential is undeniable.

R'hllor

Ole's pretty much confirmed they'll be played in the EL group stage, but tbh if we get no one else in, I could quite easily see Gomes and Greenwood breaking through to the first team proper cos both a) seem to be ready; and b) there are gaping holes in the squad in the positions they play.

Chong could even be in with a shout to deputise Martial on the left.
I want to see them having full 90 min. not 5-10 min here or there.

R'hllor

That's what I took him to mean when he said it tbh, though admittedly, I could be wrong.
My ideal version for EL would be. Play kids full games with those none starters in a league, keep starters at home when we travel so they can train properly before PL game etc.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I want to see them having full 90 min. not 5-10 min here or there.
I'm sure they will! Ole was giving Greenwood and Chong 5-10 minutes here or there last season in genuinely important games, so with a full pre-season with the first team and genuinely being integrated in, I think they'll get their fair share of starts.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

Definitely very Giggsy 20 or so mins from him. Bursts of acceleration and some delightful crosses.

R'hllor

I'm sure they will! Ole was giving Greenwood and Chong 5-10 minutes here or there last season in genuinely important games, so with a full pre-season with the first team and genuinely being integrated in, I think they'll get their fair share of starts.
We shall see, we have to many mouths to feed at the moment and some of them shouldnt be here.

Robbie Boy

Glad to hear he’s playing well after some of the utterly embarrassing posts about him on here last season.

Mainoldo

Always said we have our very own Sane in him (Yes the hair made the comparison). Just needs to be trusted with game time. If not go on loan.

-Supreme-

We finally have a natural left footed attacking midfielder, I have no doubt this will add an extra dimension to our attacking play that we have lacked for many years

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
I didn't rate Chong at youth level until he impressed me with a performance against Liverpool. I think those that only watch United at senior level are in for a pleasant surprise. I'm particularly a fervent admirer when he's driving with the ball from deep either centrally or in the half spaces. From an aesthetic standpoint he reminds me of when Mane plays on the right i.e Mane's debut season for Liverpool. You would constantly find Mane as the ball carrier progressing play from his own half deep into enemy territory. Dogged determination, and an inclination to link with the forwards. Additionally, I like the way Chong's crosses tend to be driven and relatively low as the forwards at our disposal have room for improvement in the air.

I feel from a balance perspective, Chong is the player best suited to bring out the best in Shaw. Shaw's passing ability has been under utilized. Martial's off the ball movement out wide leaves a lot to be desired. One of the reasons why Shaw had a promising partnership with Depay was due to the latters off the ball movement.
At youth level, Chong showed promising signs of having a potential great partnership with Laird whose technically gifted. Passing aside, Shaw's off the ball movement as an attacking weapon has been underutilized. I feel he could make a considerable impact at LB making infield runs in the half spaces and towards the box in goal scoring positions, while Chong momentaraily hugs the touchline. Take Spain at the 2017 U21 Euros for example, and the way they used Bellerin who consistently got into goal scoring positions by making infield runs.

Shaw's defensive capability has almost been used as a negative with some of his detractors citing that as a reason why he shouldn't be a starter. Although heavily offensive orientated full backs seem to be the trend, it doesn't make United doomed. Heavy offensive full backs are often accompanied by inverted players ahead of them as opposed to those that both play on the side of their dominant foot, or those inherently capable of hugging the touchline. Chong is left footed and quite capable of providing width. When I think of a top side that relatively recently deployed a defensive full back, I think of City with how they utilised Delph/Danilo in the starting berth as ahead of them would be the left footed Sane, capable (but not reduced) of providing width by hugging the touchline. It was my feeling that Sane plays better with Delph/Danilo than he does with Mendy. When Mane predominantly played on the right (his dominant side) for Liverpool, he had the defensive Clyne behind him. In additional, the aggression of Shaw, combined with the dogged determination of Chong could be a handful for the offensive players of the opposition, as Chong is more than willing to try and win the ball back.

Apart from Shaw, I can envisage him consolidating chemistry with Gomes, and building chemistry with Martial. Chong likes to link up with the forwards, he wants the one two passage of play, he wants to make runs to the side of the forward, and Martial is very much someone who loves to make lay offs in tight spaces.

WelshManc

The best I've seen him play, absolutely had Inter scared. Keep it up Chongy.

pascell

I actually thought he looked very bright and lively vs Huddersfield last season. He was unlucky not to score in that game, wouldve been interesting to see how he performed after that if he'd have scored.

He's looked very good the past 2 games, very encouraging that he's not looked phased or his head doesn't drop if a pass doesn't come off etc.

Kostov

One thing I love the most about this kid, his bravery and willingness to take defenders on. I’m not sure who I like the most out of Chong, Angel and Greenwood.

NoPace

I think with Martial, Rashford and James all comfortable at left-wing we might as well let him get 40 starts in the Champo for some team with nothing at LW.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
One thing I love the most about this kid, his bravery and willingness to take defenders on. I’m not sure who I like the most out of Chong, Angel and Greenwood.
I am thinking the same. I would rather have winger who will try to do something even if that means that he will lose the ball than winger who will play it safe all the time.
I like Greenwood but Chong is my type of player. I would try him on the right. He is young, he can learn play that

Kostov

I am thinking the same. I would rather have winger who will try to do something even if that means that he will lose the ball than winger who will play it safe all the time.
I like Greenwood but Chong is my type of player. I would try him on the right. He is young, he can learn play that
Oh come on don’t lie to me I know you prefer Lingard...

jackal&hyde

He looks better and better. Should get a good run in the cups and Europa League.

Brightonian

I think with Martial, Rashford and James all comfortable at left-wing we might as well let him get 40 starts in the Champo for some team with nothing at LW.
Oh yeah, because Championship managers are famously reliable at giving lots of football to funny looking lightweight foreign youngsters loaned from big academies with no experience of senior professional football. He'll absolutely thrive in that environment and will definitely not end up getting hacked down in his first game and sitting on the bench for six months while some 5/10 journeyman puts in reliable percentage crosses before we eventually recall him, miserable, confidence shattered and knee/ankle never quite the same again.

Pav1878

Looked better recently, and really want him to be a great player for us, but there's still a big part of me that just sees a kid running around with big hair like a headless chicken sometimes. But I guess positioning and in game discipline can be learned over time

Kag

Looks every bit a left winger in the mould of Sane. There’s still room for a leftie playing out on the left.

kirk buttercup

At 21 ronaldo was not built like he is now , this kid will do fine just needs more playing time . He looks far better on the left

Mr PG

Been saying since last season Chong has been held back by United trying to shoehorn him on the right as inverted winger(just because that’s where the need is) as well as midfielder when he’s very clearly a traditional left winger. I watched him life a few times and you could tell his obvious talents were wasted there. Not a coincidence that he looks a different player when in his natural position on the left. I was surprised the team made this mistake for so long when a layman like me could tell it just wasn’t working at all. He’s not the kind of player to adapt there as he’s very left footed and likes to hug the touch line.

tonnas

we have an abundance of very promising wingers! Apart from martial and rashford (one will play as a lw and the other as a str), we have james chong and to some extend greenwood, all great prospect especially greenwood. If lukaku goes do we really need a replacment? A front 6 of martial rashford james chong maon sanchez is sufficient ! (mata and lingard can also play there)

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Glad to hear he’s playing well after some of the utterly embarrassing posts about him on here last season.
Aye:

All I'd say is with the first team so far he's lost the ball too much with very little end product, as many young flair players have tended to do when they make the step up. He'll hopefully get better and better and those who have doubted him based on some odds and ends in 2018-19 will be eating humble pie.

Status
Not open for further replies.