5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoPace

Oh yeah, because Championship managers are famously reliable at giving lots of football to funny looking lightweight foreign youngsters loaned from big academies with no experience of senior professional football. He'll absolutely thrive in that environment and will definitely not end up getting hacked down in his first game and sitting on the bench for six months while some 5/10 journeyman puts in reliable percentage crosses before we eventually recall him, miserable, confidence shattered and knee/ankle never quite the same again.
This is fair but I also think the Champo is becoming a bit less of a 1970s New York movie where everyone is killing each other.

Also I forgot Chong was Dutch, obviously a midtable Eredivisie loan makes more sense.

Brightonian

This is fair but I also think the Champo is becoming a bit less of a 1970s New York movie where everyone is killing each other.

Also I forgot Chong was Dutch, obviously a midtable Eredivisie loan makes more sense.
I definitely agree with that, the problem for loanees is definitely less about the physical style now. But it's still about the sort of consistency a mid-level seasoned pro can deliver vs the inconsistent excellence you'd obviously expect from most top-level youngsters, and with so much money at stake, and the Championship now arguably as competitive as the PL in its own way, most managers understandably struggle to keep taking that risk game after game. Especially when it's someone else's talent they're developing, not their own.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Didn't see the game, how was his performance compared to James? I think Chong is currently better than James, and has more potential

RedCurry

His movement in this pre-season has been very clever. Always seems to know how to find that little pocket of space.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He clearly understands what aggressive pressing means and for that alone, kudos to him.

kundalini

Didn't see the game, how was his performance compared to James? I think Chong is currently better than James, and has more potential
In the final third, Chong looks significantly better than James and has done through-out pre-season. Chong had 3 shots, all saved, decent attempts though one wasn't struck that hard. James made the pass for at least one of McTominay's shots but sometimes seems confused as to what to do when he gets near the penalty area, if the opposing defence is set. James also had a shot that was saved.

Chong has shown moments of nice skill in other pre-season matches. He can beat his man, linked well with Gomes in the matches when they were on the pitch at the same time.

Dan James works very hard and looks a threat on the counter-attack. At the moment I would suggest that they suit different match situations. Both look ready to contribute in PL games if used sensibly.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

He's a livewire. Can easily see what the coaches see in him, even if he hasn't done anything amazing yet. Clear potential.

Kostov

He is my favorite, I want him to make it so bad. But that same thing I could say for Gomes and Mason. Very lively once again today.

Mark Pawelek

He's described as a right-winger at most football sites. Because he's left-footed and it's assumed all today's wingers are inverted. In his 30 minutes against Inter in Singapore he looked deadly on the left as a traditional left-winger. James is right-footed, so can't do those zippy crosses with his left-foot.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Came on with 18 minutes remaining with Dutch u21s winning 3-1 at the time. It finished 5-1 with Chong said to have played a key role in the 4th Dutch goal against Cyprus u21s.

Redtings

Came on with 18 minutes remaining with Dutch u21s winning 3-1 at the time. It finished 5-1 with Chong said to have played a key role in the 4th Dutch goal against Cyprus u21s.
Good for him. It seems like he is ready for first team football, but remains to be seen if he is at the level of playing first team football in the premier league, let alone United. I think he needs a loan for regular minutes, as he’s 20 right now if I recall correctly.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Good for him. It seems like he is ready for first team football, but remains to be seen if he is at the level of playing first team football in the premier league, let alone United. I think he needs a loan for regular minutes, as he’s 20 right now if I recall correctly.
He's still 19 but I do think he could contribute on our RW if given a chance, and I think he will get his chance soon.

Kostov

We have a chap called Lingard playing there, it can't get any worse can it?

Mark Pawelek

I think he needs a loan for regular minutes, as he’s 20 right now if I recall correctly.
Seems Chong had more than one loan offer last summer but turned them down. With Ole happy with that. Because United don't have a lot of wingers & strikers right now; having just sold 2.

Mickson

Bit worrying that he can't take a regular spot in their U21 team. But good to hear that he did well. I still claim that he should've been loaned out.

Chunk of hope

still question marks over this lad, he was horrible today when he came on gave the ball away a number of times and did nothing in the final third, and he even pushed James on the RW

Alemar

Not the best of performances, although not a poor one either. Minutes will serve him well, surely

Sylar

Did ok. Im surprised he came on ahead of Gomes and Mason who look further ahead of him and a bit more composed than him.

Dante

Average bang
He was brought on as a counterattacking threat with Leicester pushing up the other way.

Chong might not have been great, but he did help to peg Ricardo Pereira back.

kundalini

I like Chong more than most people on here. He does need to tidy up his straightforward passes though. Too often he manages to pass it straight to an opposing player for no reason, when all he was attempting was to recycle possession.

He did well for the move that resulted in Pereira's shot from distance being saved.

Early days.

Tarrou

He was brought on as a counterattacking threat with Leicester pushing up the other way.

Chong might not have been great, but he did help to peg Ricardo Pereira back.
I think he was brought on to press them, first and foremost

He'sRaldo

Did ok. Im surprised he came on ahead of Gomes and Mason who look further ahead of him and a bit more composed than him.
Judging from his cameo, he seems further along than Greenwood, who's been anonymous when he's come on. Maybe because he's been played on the wing instead of up front?

Zoo

Good cameo, one which he needed at this level. But another one who seems to be better on the left for now :lol:

Giuliano Maiorana

Didn't seem to find space well and played a few sloppy passes. Hope he makes it been following him for a number of years.

RooneyLegend

Reminds me of Kaka. Well, at least the way he moves with the ball. Got some way to go but he has something.

-Supreme-

He will be given plenty of opportunities this season, especially that we're hugely lacking left footed players that will give us better balance in our attacking play

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Started off sloppy but improved. Think he'll be inconsistent for a while but really just needs game time right now to get comfortable at this level IMO. It'll come this year, hopefully he gets a start vs Astana.

Grande

I could understand bringing him on, because he has energy, then again not, cause he tends to give the ball away easily and we couldnt hold the ball. Even if he started with some sloppy (nervous?) passes, I was wrong, because he and Fred actually changed the game markedly both in terms pressing, winning the ball and in attacking threat. I was surprised at how his physicality has developped, he seemed more powerful thannI remember him. Had some really nice one-touch directness after awhile.

AKDevil

Helped change the game. Gave Leicester something to think about and push them back about when it seemed an equaliser was inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.