5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

edcunited1878

He's extremely timid and has shrunk in confidence when the lights are on and it counts for something. That's a huge unknown and now we're starting to see it. He's not ready to start but what other real options do United have? The squad is thin in numbers and thin on quality.

kundalini

Impressed by his defending. Fine when we were counter-attacking. Really struggled to penetrate their set defence. Out-muscled once again. Also lost control of the ball once or twice.

I still think he's an interesting player but these last two matches, his performances have been disappointing. He looked far more promising during the pre-season tour.

Still early days.

Last edited:

Sir Scott McToMinay

He’s very clumsy and lacking in finesse, but I like his directness and dynamism, could become a decent squad player with the right mentality, coaching and a bit of luck.

Nick7

This kid is completely GARBAGE. He's 19 and just doesn't look ready at all.

To think there is a 16 year old playing for barca right now with 10x his ability is crazy.

He's one of those overhyped players that will end up playing non league in the next couple years.

Might come good if he chops off the mop so he can at least see where he is dribbling. The lighting in Old Trafford must have caused a shadow when beaming on his head be because he looked clueless, like he was blind.

Don't want to see him anywhere near the first team again. Gome, Williams and Greenwood were great though.
This post is complete GARBAGE.

I still can't get my head around this. I trust the opinion of the youth coaches and management but i don't think i've ever seen a player be so poor in what is now two full games. You usually see something of note in a young player, dribbling ability, technique, passing, shooting ability, something...but with him there was literally nothing, looked like an amateur out there. Astana and that 16 yo kid were dispossessing him like they were Maldini and Baresi.

I have to still put this on the back of nerves and anxiety because i see no other explanation. There must be a decent player in there.
In every appearance he’s had with us he’s looked very nervous. I think that’s it. It does raise a question mark about his mentality though. Last night it seemed for frustration than nerves. He seems to be thinking too much.

Sepukku

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I would be really excited about him if i hadnt seen the likes of lingard & co turning 25 and still not being the quality we require.

Cliche Guevara

Still think there's something there with Chong. Watch his cameo against Inter earlier this year - . It's like watching a different player to the one who struggled to dribble against Astana and Rochdale. All I can think is his head hasn't been right. I think most should also remember Chong spent 18 months out injured between 17 and 19. And so his current level of training is closer to a 17/18 year old than 19/20 year old. This could explain some of of the negativity.
See this is the part of the problem. People posting videos of him in meaningless pre-season games, with all the time in the world, and he still does next to nothing to impress.

Someone previously posted a video of him in an Under-18 game against Liverpool. It was supposed to be sensational but wasn’t particularly impressive at all.

I can’t see anything in the guy.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
He is a year older than Saka for Arsenal who plays in same posiition and that guy looks so much better. You still see the inexperience play in him, but he beats players and put in crosses. This guy looks awful. He struggles to control the ball for god sake.

AlwaysRed66

Still think there's something there with Chong. Watch his cameo against Inter earlier this year - . It's like watching a different player to the one who struggled to dribble against Astana and Rochdale. All I can think is his head hasn't been right. I think most should also remember Chong spent 18 months out injured between 17 and 19. And so his current level of training is closer to a 17/18 year old than 19/20 year old. This could explain some of of the negativity.
What has a pointless friendly game got to do with anything. They are meaningless.

jackal&hyde

What has a pointless friendly game got to do with anything. They are meaningless.
I think they show that he does have some skill. This leads me to believe that he is a nervous wreck in official games for the first team, something that might be fixed or not. He seems like the complete opposite of Greenwood in this regard.

I think they show that he does have some skill. This leads me to believe that he is a nervous wreck in official games for the first team, something that might be fixed or not. He seems like the complete opposite of Greenwood in this regard.
Everyone at this level has some skill. Whether they are able to use it to any effect in a game is the point, it seems so far like Chong cannot.

SplitzMagic

Well who cares? It's my view. I don't care what you think. I'm not here ready to sit here for another 6 years to see if this player with potential is going to be great.

If you're patient enough to go through the next lingard experience then you do what you have to do but I've been to utd for many years as a season ticket holder and from what I'm seeing, Chong is not good at all.

When we are playing the kids they have got to be GOOD! - it's true that they will be nervous but you can still see quality even in nervous players. But we are Manchester United! A team that spends the most on scouts yet doesn't take their advice. I'm sure giggs told us to buy mbappe and we passed on the opportunity.

I'm totally happy with Gomes, Williams, Greenwood and Garner (who is yet to play) but Chong is not good.

I'm one of those fans that wants to just see us get back on top rather than have to put up with all this crap since fergie left and in order for us to do that, we need certified quality.

As I said, Barcelona have a kid playing for them who is 3 years younger who looks an absolute beast already & Chong is getting schooled by a 16yo school kid playing for Rochdale in league one who just got beat 3-0 at home.

Took us 90 mins plus pens to beat them at home...... How long has it been since we had an away win?

SplitzMagic

Been trying to explain this on here (see my last comment)

Greenwood looks nervous yet he's doing the business for us. Chong... Hes a btec lingard and I'm not prepared to sit and watch another one of those.

I want us to be playing our Sakas(arsenal), Fatis (barca) and dembeles (dortmund). We don't have any of those calibre of players coming through.

Greenwood does look a very good player though and even then, he's 17 not 19.

jackal&hyde

Been trying to explain this on here (see my last comment)

Greenwood looks nervous yet he's doing the business for us. Chong... Hes a btec lingard and I'm not prepared to sit and watch another one of those.

I want us to be playing our Sakas(arsenal), Fatis (barca) and dembeles (dortmund). We don't have any of those calibre of players coming through.

Greenwood does look a very good player though and even then, he's 17 not 19.
I don't think Greenwood looks nervous at all. He seems to be a beast in terms of his mentality.

Mark Pawelek

In every appearance he’s had with us he’s looked very nervous. I think that’s it. It does raise a question mark about his mentality though. Last night it seemed for frustration than nerves. He seems to be thinking too much.
You'er a registered psychologist?

Red00012

2 needless frees given away when he came on shows his lack of experience.

Won the free kick that Pereira decided to kick into the keeper’s arms.

Side note the handball was clocked at 93.15 (4 mins added on) 10 seconds in play and I think the linesman had flagged for a corner. Maybe the ref couldn’t face another one of our set pieces.

Suedesi

Notwithstanding that this is a meaningless summer friendly where Inter were 2 weeks behind us in the prep phase, he looks erratic as feck misplacing 3 yard passes and not seeming to possess any ball control skills whatsoever.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He didn't deserve last season's award. Gomes was clearly the best player. I do disagree with lime about the previous season though. Still, he's right about last season. I even commented in the awards show thread when he was awarded the award.

You can also go back and look at all the u19 and u23 game day threads.
The previous season in which he played 7 games all season for the u18s? That was even worse, he literally wasn't even apart of the team for the majority of the season. How is playing 500 minutes in a season worth of player of the year over the ones who actually played regularly and got them to the final?

AlwaysRed66

Only played 5 minutes & he is awful. Send him out to a League 2 side for experience as seems to be his level.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
When he came on I thought just dont lose the ball or give freekicks away. He did both. Really clumsy player.

tomaldinho1

Needs a couple of loans, we need to push more younger players out. Just look at Axel's development

LInkash

Needs a couple of loans, we need to push more younger players out. Just look at Axel's development
Yes, people are going on about Lampard giving youth a chance but Abraham, Mount and Tomori are all 20+ and have been out on loan, whereas our youngsters are all teenagers with limited first team experience.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Be a shame to lose him, Juventus ain't the right move though. They're not the same Juventus Pogba joined. If he were to leave he'd be better off going somewhere he's going to get plenty of first team football, and to be honest he's probably likely to get it by staying here. Wouldn't say I'm too worried though, these articles always pop up around this time and the players usually sign a new contract within the next few weeks.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Agent talk to get him a new contract.

If he was serious though, he'd be much better going back to Holland or Germany and finding a club he can play every week.

He's definitely got the talent but he needs regular games.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
His first team appearances haven't been very impressive so far, but he is a very talented player for sure.

Too early to write him off anyway.

Really hope we don't lose him (and Gomes for that matter).

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
His game seems too direct to be a winger. I he looks more like a CAM.

Sure he might be able to bypass players easily as a winger in the u23's but maybe his game needs changing at the highest level.

And I know the lad is young & can improve - but it's not like I don't see that - however it seems like the game has slightly moved on from his type of winger/forward role and this is shown by what he always tries to do which is the wrong thing, the more complicated thing than the mroe simplistic and easy things.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Turns out I might have been wrong, looks like he might really be looking for a move:

fps

Turns out I might have been wrong, looks like he might really be looking for a move:

Ok Chongwick. You’re getting a fair few minutes and have shown not much. I wouldn’t expect this kind of talk from the camp of an unproven youngster.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours

This is hopefully more to do with Ole rightfully thinking he isn't good enough.

JoaquinJoaquin

Won't miss him. Isn't at the level we need, and I doubt if he ever will be to be honest.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Yeah I'm not seeing it as any great shame if he were to leave

Status
Not open for further replies.