Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Might explain why we've not seen as much of him recently if he's stalling on a new contract.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Doesn't seem talented enough for us tbh let alone being someone we regret being unable to keep.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ok Chongwick. You’re getting a fair few minutes and have shown not much. I wouldn’t expect this kind of talk from the camp of an unproven youngster.
Yeah not exactly a Hudson Odoi type situation

SungSam7

Chong would be lucky to hit the heights that Depay hit for us, understand we haven't been great going forward but when we had Moyes, Januzaj showed something.

DRM

He can feck right off then, the silly entitled prick.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Would like him to sign a new contract and then go on loan to maybe a Spanish or French team even. A spot where he'll have to fight to be a starter but can establish himself in the team when he hits form. He has to take a big step up from U21-football but should also be used to the responsibility of playing in a decent league.

fps

Would like him to sign a new contract and then go on loan to maybe a Spanish or French team even. A spot where he'll have to fight to be a starter but can establish himself in the team when he hits form. He has to take a big step up from U21-football but should also be used to the responsibility of playing in a decent league.
Yes he needs to toughen up and keep that bravery but develop his skillset for beating a man and affecting a game. Also he needs to work on his touch.

SAFMUTD

I would offer him a low wage contract and a loan, if he doesnt agrees I dont think we are risking to much by letting him go. He hasn't showned anything to suggest he'll make it at top level nevermind reaching the potential of the players we aspire to.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It's a shame, I really think he should have been loaned this year.

He isn't quite good enough to break the first team, but he's clearly too good for the reserve level.

A loan like the Chelsea kids Mount/Abraham to the Championship would have been perfect.

I don't think the club use the loan system to our advantage, we seem too proud that "we make the best players in house", but sometimes you need more than just training.

If he does leave then I can't blame him as he needs to think of himself, i'm sure he will have a good career.

SteveW

Nice would be a bad move for him imo. He's nowhere good enough to play there.

He should go back to Holland for a while.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout

He isn't quite good enough to break the first team, but he's clearly too good for the reserve level.

A loan like the Chelsea kids Mount/Abraham to the Championship would have been perfect.

I don't think the club use the loan system to our advantage, we seem too proud that "we make the best players in house", but sometimes you need more than just training.

If he does leave then I can't blame him as he needs to think of himself, i'm sure he will have a good career.
Agreed. Players his age can't just sit in reserve football hoping to get a rare chance in the first team. They have to be playing first team football and the leap from reserve football to premier league football is huge.

Having said all that, if he thinks moving to Italy is a good idea then he's being misled by his agent. Should be moving to a league that actually plays teenagers on a regular basis, Eredivisie, Bundesliga or Ligue 1.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Would be a good move to go to a subtop Eredivisie team like Heerenveen or Utrecht or something. Honestly don't see him having any impact at our bigger clubs. Not even Feyenoord.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Would be a good move to go to a subtop Eredivisie team like Heerenveen or Utrecht or something. Honestly don't see him having any impact at our bigger clubs. Not even Feyenoord.
I think he's quality imo. Just clearly found it difficult to bring his game to the big stage, some players need time to be able to adjust to the big stage and he's clearly one of them. If you watch him play in the reserves then the talent is clearly there.

Utdstar01

Except it doesn't say that at all. If you read the article his agent just says he's waiting for a new contract offer and if they don't get it they'll have to review options.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Except it doesn't say that at all. If you read the article his agent just says he's waiting for a new contract offer and if they don't get it they'll have to review options.
Dutch media said he got the option to extend his contract, but is still deciding what to do.

Adam-Utd

Agreed. Players his age can't just sit in reserve football hoping to get a rare chance in the first team. They have to be playing first team football and the leap from reserve football to premier league football is huge.

Having said all that, if he thinks moving to Italy is a good idea then he's being misled by his agent. Should be moving to a league that actually plays teenagers on a regular basis, Eredivisie, Bundesliga or Ligue 1.
Yep not sure Italy is a great place for him at all. Back to Holland/Belgium/France/Germany would be ideal.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
There's a very good player in Chong but I can see a similarities with his body frame to that of a young gangly Darren Fletcher when he eventually broke through, after a period of niggling injuries in his youth days.

And due to his slight,gangly frame we wont see Chong at his best,or to a standard that we can make a full judgement on his capabilities, for sometime yet.
His legs for instance look like bamboo sticks and I wince every time a big burly defender goes near him when he has featured.

Now ,going by recent reports,it seems he's looking for a way out of the club. Cant blame him. He does need to be playing regular football. There's only so long a young player can keep waiting for his time.
So,I think he deserves abit of respect from us for taking the initiative on his future.
We seem to have given alot of credence towards Sancho ,and many other young players,in moving on so why not Chong ?
Its his career, not ours.

Regarding on his rumoured options,notably Juventus ,he wont make the grade at The Old Lady at the present time but they'll likely loan him out anyway,as they have done and continually continue to do with so many of their young talents.
Where they would loan him out to is up for debate. He could feature for a Serie B side or ,which I think would be more ideal, return to his home country.

But wherever Chong chooses his next destination,he could quite comfortably still stay at United, I wish him luck.
As I previously mentioned : there's a good player in Chong but time and patience will be much needed.

Last edited:

Bestietom

I heard that he doesn't want a new contract and wants out. I hope Gomes doesn't go down that road and signs a new contract.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He certainly is very talented.

I think he will stay personally, but he needs a loan for sure in my opinion.

flappyjay

He actually refused a loan to the eredivise, a couple of teams wanted him. I think he genuinely thought he could break into the team. He has been given chances and if he hasn't made a choice on staying or leaving I see him starting our next Europa game and the carabao game.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He told the Dutch Fox Sports apparently. This article is in Dutch, but it's all I got: https://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=362591

He's quoted saying: "Yes, they made me an offer, but the season is in full swing so I've yet to make a decision"
I assume he's waiting to see where he stands with regards to the availability of first team minutes. I hope they get something done. I dont think he's worth a big contract, but he's still young enough to become something of a good footballer.

Adam-Utd

He actually refused a loan to the eredivise, a couple of teams wanted him. I think he genuinely thought he could break into the team. He has been given chances and if he hasn't made a choice on staying or leaving I see him starting our next Europa game and the carabao game.
Yeah it's a shame. He looked great in pre season so I can see why he thought he might have a chance.

To be fair Ole gave him them, but he's just not taken it. I'm sure he suffered with nerves or something as he's definitely better than that. Against Rotherham for example, he's beaten better teams in the reserves!

SAFMUTD

I dont think we’ll lost much if he doesnt renew his contract he hasn’t showned anything to suggest he has whats needed. We should offer him a new contract and loan him, if he doesn’t want then let him go.

RedDevilRoshi

Not really that fussed if he wants to leave. Hasn’t really impressed when he has played in the 1st team. Good luck to him but can’t say he will be a massive loss.

I hope we sort out Angel Gomes’ contract soon. He’s one that I will be very disappointed if we lose.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Never come across as if he would make it during his time in the first team. I guess him going to Juve could end up with him doing well there, but I still would think that he was unable to make it in the Premier league.

Hopefully he'll do well at Juventus without developing too much.
Feels about as interesting a transfer as when we got rid of Bebe.

eire-red

Think a sale with a buyback clause is probably the better option. Loans are useful, but the player always has that safety net of knowing they'll be back at the club if it doesn't go well. I always think if a player is on loan then they're only playing for a team with a view to playing for another team eventually.

Cut ties for now, sell him to a mid tier Dutch or French team and see what kind of player he becomes, it's a different type of pressure altogether. If he makes it, then the option is always there to entice him back, if not then it's a shame and we'll have lost nothing. Of course, there's always the chance he could flourish and never come back to the club, but what are the chances he'll ever get competitive minutes here otherwise?

Always better to see a young player willing to take a chance in order to improve as a player. Would you rather have young kids coming through with no ambition, happy to sit in the U23's if they don't make it?

Status
Not open for further replies.