Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Really nothing special about him other than his hair.

SteveW

Obviously he's doing enough in training to be constantly selected. Needs a loan to improve his decision making at a lower level and to improve his confidence. Still too raw for the first team.
Constantly selected?

SteveW

He was overhyped. I've said this for a long time. They can't all make it. I'm sure he'll have a decent career at a smaller club.

jackal&hyde

Don't think he was impressive in any games except couple of preseason friendlies. We might even lose him on free transfer, if he signs new contract then he should be loaned out for few years. He is fragile and lacks balance.
My thoughts to. Mentally i think there is a problem too. He is too good for the under 23 but not good at all for the first team. A loan move if he wants to stay or sign for someone else.

Last edited:

M16Red

I've watched him a fair amount of times, he's not good enough with the ball - he has no standout skills.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Still think the most stand out quality he has is the hair. Said it since he was a kid atFeyenoord.

Allas8

Think we might see Chong tried out as left back for the U23 team, maybe after the Tranmere game.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Don’t think he’ll make it long term at United. But it’ll still be good for his development if he gets a loan move this January.
This is the last year of his deal, no point sending him on loan unless he extends it.

For what its worth, there's still a player in there but he is going through a really rough patch at a crucial time when he was about to break into the senior squad and his contract situation might not be helping ease his mind.

FromTheBench

He is worth extending his deal for sure.

Not sure he'll make it at United but he can be sold for a decent amount.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I saw a deja vu of Wellbeck, great pace but poor end product. We have tons of players who is faster than him, should give Ramazani and Mellor more chance to play first team experience than him
Mellor’s got no chance here, he’s not even had a particularly good season at U23 level.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Really nothing special about him other than his hair.
Still think the most stand out quality he has is the hair. Said it since he was a kid atFeyenoord.
But what hair it is! Without Chong we only have Mejbri who boasts amazing hair.

I still think it's early to judge him. A loan in January would be the best bet, but if he's not signed a new deal by then it's unlikely.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He’s really struggling to translate the ability he demonstrates for the youth team to senior football, I like the lad but the more I see of him the more clear it is he’s just not ready. If I were him I’d have a look at leaving permanently, consistent first team football would do him the world of good.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I've not been impressed with any of his first team appearances. He seems to lack strength and composure and while he can work on both of those things in the years ahead a wide player who continually makes poor decisions and is easy to bully off the ball has no place in the PL. He's not ready now and has it all to prove if he's to have a future here.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'll be very surprised if he makes it at the top level.

Can see a career in the Championship or at a middling Eredivisie club for him - which in the grand scheme of things isn't too shabby.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Such an odd situation, he's clearly talented and has a great scoring rate against the lower league teams.

I really do think he needs a loan to one of these clubs to get more used to playing in "proper matches", and get used to the higher tempo.

Obviously he might leave this summer which will be a shame, but i'm sure he will have a good future somewhere.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Both goals are very good.
He's been lambasted for his performances against the likes of Rochdale and Astana for the first team. But he's performed superbly against the likes of Rotherham and Doncaster who are both superior teams to Rochdale in the EFL Cup under Neil Wood. His recent performance against Tranmere is further evidence of his potential against a team arguably just as good or better than Rochdale.

He's been fantastic in the EFL Cup.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Still think he has potential, just very raw. Needs a loan.

Red Royal

He's been lambasted for his performances against the likes of Rochdale and Astana for the first team. But he's performed superbly against the likes of Rotherham and Doncaster who are both superior teams to Rochdale in the EFL Cup under Neil Wood. His recent performance against Tranmere is further evidence of his potential against a team arguably just as good or better than Rochdale.

He's been fantastic in the EFL Cup.
Still think he has potential, just very raw. Needs a loan.
could it be that he just gets nervous on the very big stage? Wouldn’t be the 1st and won’t be the last. That miss is going to play heavily on his mind. If we could only get him 15 minutes with a 3 goal lead somehow...

Adnan

Talent Spotter
could it be that he just gets nervous on the very big stage? Wouldn’t be the 1st and won’t be the last. That miss is going to play heavily on his mind. If we could only get him 15 minutes with a 3 goal lead somehow...
I think him getting nervous at first team level has crossed my mind on a number of occasions. But his performances in the EFL Cup against superior teams to Rochdale are evidence that he's much better than what we've seen from him at first team level and Neil Wood seems to get the best out of our youngsters.

Bondi77

I just think he needs a season loan at a decent Championship club and we take it from there.
He does well at u21 level but cannot do much when given a chance in the first team so he needs to bridge the gap if he wants to stay at the club in my humble opinion.

SweetRightFoot

He just seems a bit crap to be honest, pace and quick feet but little else. Only watched youth highlights and his first team appearances but I'm yet to see any actual skill or intelligence in his play.

criticalanalysis

Surely OGS or the coahces need to sit him down and just say he needs to settle on the first touch before he decides on his next move.

He has good agility and some pace, which can be used effectively against men but too often he seems to be in a rush to take on a player or keep the ball moving with a dribble/push etc. He's not Messi so he should be playing with more care atm.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I think him getting nervous at first team level has crossed my mind on a number of occasions. But his performances in the EFL Cup against superior teams to Rochdale are evidence that he's much better than what we've seen from him at first team level and Neil Wood seems to get the best out of our youngsters.
Tbf there isn’t much Ole can do if Chong can’t even run without falling down or can’t control simplest of passes.

He just needs time to develop, he is comfortable with players at similar or level below him, must be nervous when he plays for first team proper with players who are better than him.

Chong isn’t first or last player to go through this phase, hopefully he will sign contract and goes out on loan for a season or 2. He is talented player who should be playing professional football.

In Rainbows

Good striking technique on the first goal. Reminded me of the way Wilson used to strike the ball.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I agree, I've seen some stuff from him in the reserves that shows he has skill and some vision, but if you only saw his first team appearances you'd think he was hopeless. For the first team he looks like he expects to be tackled the moment he touches the ball, which to be fair is how I would feel. He may need some time in the championship to adjust.

lsd

The Oracle
Watching him I think he has a better chance of Gomes at making it .

He is clearly a lot better than he has showed when playing in the first team and just needs time to adjust which should happen .

pascell

A little over 3 weeks until he and Gomes can sign a pre-contract with whoever they want, I highly doubt they're signing new deals. But good luck to them if they do move elsewhere, the club with move on without them, as will they without the club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yes it's definitely nerves. He had a cameo at the back end of last season away to somebody in the premier league and he did really well. It seems like he just gets a big build up of nervous energy and his brain freezes, and his legs won't move how they want.

Unfortunately for him I don't think he will make it here, but he will go on to have a good career abroad or in the football league. He's scoring regularly in the EFL cup and reserve level.

Allas8

Expect Chong to be in the match day squad against City and start against AZ and Colchester. With christmas schedule coming up, he could be starting against Burnley too. So 3 starts for Chong in december.

Devil may care

I'm surprised his thread hasn't been posted in, I thought he did quite well against AZ when he camne on, he looked more balanced when moving with the ball and I thought he used the ball well.

M Bison

Supports
York City
I'm surprised his thread hasn't been posted in, I thought he did quite well against AZ when he camne on, he looked more balanced when moving with the ball and I thought he used the ball well.
Agree, I thought he looked much better than when I’ve seen him in the past, more steady and strong on the ball. Fair play to him.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Agree, I thought he looked much better than when I’ve seen him in the past, more steady and strong on the ball. Fair play to him.
Perhaps a bit more relaxed when coming on, not a great deal of pressure on him to be fair, so we probably saw more of the 'real' Tahith Chong. He obviously has ability, just hasn't shown it in the step up to senior football so far. It's interesting that he has been picked for these squads, and Gomes hasn't. Both are in the same boat as far as contracts are concerned, I believe, so all I can surmise is that Chong is showing more in training than Gomes is.

Status
Not open for further replies.