Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm surprised his thread hasn't been posted in, I thought he did quite well against AZ when he camne on, he looked more balanced when moving with the ball and I thought he used the ball well.
People have already made their minds up mate. Don't be surprised Dev..

khoazany

Perhaps a bit more relaxed when coming on, not a great deal of pressure on him to be fair, so we probably saw more of the 'real' Tahith Chong. He obviously has ability, just hasn't shown it in the step up to senior football so far. It's interesting that he has been picked for these squads, and Gomes hasn't. Both are in the same boat as far as contracts are concerned, I believe, so all I can surmise is that Chong is showing more in training than Gomes is.
Been our best player in the U23s games he played recently. He's on a weird stage of being too good for U23s football but not capable to replicate in senior football so far.

NWRed

Been our best player in the U23s games he played recently. He's on a weird stage of being too good for U23s football but not capable to replicate in senior football so far.
He needs 12-18 months on loan in the championship or bottom half of the PL.

Devil may care

People have already made their minds up mate. Don't be surprised Dev..
Fair point, I think he's looked overly anxious every time he's played, like he feels as if he doesn't light the place up he'll not get another chance, maybe Ole has had a word with him and it's gotten through as he looked a lote more composed the other night.

DoomSlayer

I think it's clear by Ole's selections that there is more chance of Chong signing a new deal than Gomes.

UnitedChampionsAgain

Needs a serious short, back and sides and a good bollocking from Sir Alex. That should bring the best out of him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
For U23s he plays so well, like few said he is too good for U23s and for now struggling to replicate any of that for senior team. Hopefully it's just nerves and once he is settled, he can show what he is capable of.

If he signs new contract when we should loan him out where he can play regularly.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
For U23s he plays so well, like few said he is too good for U23s and for now struggling to replicate any of that for senior team. Hopefully it's just nerves and once he is settled, he can show what he is capable of.

If he signs new contract when we should loan him out where he can play regularly.
He'd benefit the most with a loan in the Championship to get his confidence up and get used to professional football away from the spotlight imo.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yep he's the most obvious case for a year long loan, it would make him such a better more consistent player.

he's in the hard place of struggling to establish himself as a first team player here, but he's definitely good enough for the championship.

Hope he signs a deal then goes on loan this Jan.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I would loan him to a mid-tier, top-flight team in Spain, or Germany, or even Netherlands or something, if possible, not Championship… But yeah he needs to be loaned, ASAP

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He'd benefit the most with a loan in the Championship to get his confidence up and get used to professional football away from the spotlight imo.
Yeah, if he signs new contract then we should loan him out in Jan only. He is too good for U23s, there isnt much he can learn playing for U23s now.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Kid needs a proper Championship loan..

Yep he's the most obvious case for a year long loan, it would make him such a better more consistent player.

he's in the hard place of struggling to establish himself as a first team player here, but he's definitely good enough for the championship.

Hope he signs a deal then goes on loan this Jan.
Agree with all of this

Wolves 0:0 Man Utd

kundalini

Did ok. For once, didn't look the worst player on the pitch. Best moments were the pass for Dan James's off-target shot and one run and cross that was cut out. Defended well and linked up with Ashley Young was fairly decent.

Would have liked to see him make more runs off the ball.

Hopefully that performance gives him some confidence.

Last edited:

Irwin99

Did ok, better than expected and he got a bit of rough treatment from their defence at times.

LJJT

Thought he did well overall. Should have tried to take his man on more. He was away had he not got badly fouled when he went off

NewGlory

Kid has no clue how to play adult game. He was hoarding the ball and was completely out of place. Not sure if a championship loan will help, but it's either that or he should be let go

In Rainbows

His first half was a lot like his previous performances where he would mess up his touch, or passes. 2nd half was an improvement where he got fouled a few times while dribbling.

Paul_Scholes18

Not good enough in my opinion, but did alright today. Tried to beat his man and got some freekicks for us. Not much end product from what I have seen from him so far though.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Am not sure if it's still too early for Chong and he'll develop into a special player in early 20s (Eg Zaha) or if he is just not talented enough for top end PL football.

I suspect it's the latter ... he doesn't do anyone thing that makes me go 'wow'. But maybe I just 'dont get him' yet.

el3mel

The kid is very weak physically. Needs to hit the gym more often and starts building a proper body if he wants to play at that level.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Looks like a boy out there. Needs a loan move I'd say, but the Championship would be a terrible idea. Back to Holland would be a better shout.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Did good. This is the first time I was able put some compliment on his match, previously he’s been sloppy, poor decision making and passing looks rusty but today was the opposite.

Gerald G

A decent performance from him. Although I have serious doubts about his ability to make it here long-term, I would like him to sign a new contract and go out on loan.

DoomSlayer

Chong has the talent but gets physically bullied by the opposition. After that crunching tackle in the second half, he was done and generally I've noticed that he just doesn't fight for the ball, which is to be expected.

Needs to seriously lay on some muscle in his legs to be able to withstand pressure from the defenders.

Andrew Richmond

Today’s better performance should give his confidence a boost but he needs a loan move to get him more games at the higher level although that isn’t going to happen given it is looking increasingly likely he will be leaving in the summer.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
Thought he was poor in the first half, though improved to some extent in the second. Saying that from what I've seen so far, I don't think he is ready for first team football. He looked promising in preseason, but in actual games is struggling to make any sort of impact.

I'd look to loan him out at the moment and see if he can start to impact games in the lower league.

POF

I don't think Chong is a smart enough player to play as an inside forward in senior football. He should only play on the left in the senior team.

Simplify his role, hug the touchline, let him get up and down and take his full back on. When he plays on the right, he tucks in, takes up poor positions and has to play in tight confined spaces which doesn't suit his game.

He's a winger and a good one. He needs to embrace that before he thinks he can be Mo Salah.

Bestietom

He's not good enough. We got rid of better wingers. Ok to loaning him out, but it will take a good coach to make him good enough for premiership, imo.

NewGlory

He's not good enough. We got rid of better wingers. Ok to loaning him out, but it will take a good coach to make him good enough for premiership, imo.
I dont know how to explain it and obviously it's impossible to tell just by watching couple games and appearances but... I get a weird feeling that he doesnt try hard enough. He plays like somebody who isn't very focused, still is just enjoying the game instead of taking it professionally, and does bare minimum in training. The visible attitude difference between him and other youngsters like Greenwood or Williams or Garner is startling.

We talk a lot about ability. In reality all these kids have metric ton of talent - which is why they were brought into academy. Effort makes the biggest difference after that. Maniacal, laser-sharp-focused and beyond-the-ask effort. I don't think he really does that part

Status
Not open for further replies.