Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
With Shaw injured, we need another option at LB, even if just for the short term before he goes on loan. Can see him putting pressure on Williams for the remaining of the EL campaign.

m1tch

Looked good going forward, played confidently and will hopefully get more chances in games where there's more quality around him.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Hoping he goes out on loan, needs regular football. Was very good though. Obviously has potential, but hes raw. A few loans would do him a world of good.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Finally saw a glimpse tonight. I agree with loan next season and then come back and see what he can offer.

Before he signed his contract I really wasn't bothered if he did or not - but there is something there it appears.

Revan

Assumptionman
Really good finally seeing a fullback actually attacking, and dribbling players. Probably the last time it happened was in 2013 or so (with Rafael and Evra).

Wouldn't mind seeing him getting a bit more time in that position and see how he progresses. I know that the opposition was very weak, but you have to start somewhere. I like Williams and I think that he is better at the moment, but I wouldn't mind seeing Chong play there next match (again, the opposition is quite weak).

arthurka

With Rashica leaving there isnt much competition for Chong for a starting position.

But this Werder side will see a massive rebuild this summer and most likely fighting against relegation again so he might experience quite some pressure since this team is lacking creativity and I cant see the defense improving much to bail them out. If he do perform similar to Gnabry 3 seasons ago at Bremen it should be a win win for all parties involved.
They were absolutely terrible last season. Without Rashica they will be going down, he will play a lot but anyone who has watched the BL knows that Werder are neck deep in the shit creek.

SteveW

Shouldn't defenders be able to defend. Or is that too old fashioned for the cafe?

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
They were absolutely terrible last season. Without Rashica they will be going down, he will play a lot but anyone who has watched the BL knows that Werder are neck deep in the shit creek.
You should notice, that we had the most injuries from all Bundesliga clubs last season. We never had a fit squad together until the Corona Break. After the Corona Break we had an solid 9th in the table, so Corona was really the only reason we stayed in the league.

Of course, it's possible that we will fight for relegation again, but the season before we were 8th and in the semis in the DFB-Pokal and only lost close to Bayern. Of course we have lost Kruse and probably Rashica, but overall the squad is more balanced now and much younger for the next season.

So if the squad stays fit, i am more optimistic than this season and Chong would be a good fit into this team. Rashica wasn't close to this actual Rashica too and he learned a lot here and it's no surprise a top-scouting like Leipzig wants him.

arthurka

You should notice, that we had the most injuries from all Bundesliga clubs last season. We never had a fit squad together until the Corona Break. After the Corona Break we had an solid 9th in the table, so Corona was really the only reason we stayed in the league.

Of course, it's possible that we will fight for relegation again, but the season before we were 8th and in the semis in the DFB-Pokal and only lost close to Bayern. Of course we have lost Kruse and probably Rashica, but overall the squad is more balanced now and much younger for the next season.

So if the squad stays fit, i am more optimistic than this season and Chong would be a good fit into this team. Rashica wasn't close to this actual Rashica too and he learned a lot here and it's no surprise a top-scouting like Leipzig wants him.
Yes I actually know that Bremen had a lot of injuries last season but again Bremen not getting relegated was mostly down to Düsseldorf having a mare. Bremen won 2 of the last 6 games but somehow won Köln with 5 goals.. I truly don't know how the Werder setup will be for next season but I will put money on them struggling again next season. I thought Florian Kohfeldt did show a real lack of experience in many of these crunch matches and I think he will need to learn quickly next season if things are not to go south.

jesperjaap

Has he got stronger or changed boot sponsors in the break? He looked much more confident and balanced on the ball. First time I have seen him in the first team and no tthought he looked like a cross between Milan Baros runnig nwith his head down clueless and Bambi on ice.

As others hope he i son loan next season as for starters would mean we have signed Sancho and/or Grealish, secondly considering how hyped he has been and youth player of the year not seen anything of him in first team that impressed me so as not watched youth games, guessing he has really strggled with the step up?

AR87

Playing LB might suit him as the entire game is in front of him and he has more space to run into an operate than he does when he plays as a winger. Idk. If we loan him that's fine, but that really was a very interesting cameo and experimentation. Seemed much much more comfortable and confident in everything he did, and he's played poor opposition before, so it's not just because of that.

jesperjaap

Shouldn't defenders be able to defend. Or is that too old fashioned for the cafe?
Haha I couldnt agree more. Does seem the last decade more and more that people are more interested in a full backs ability to attack than defend. See so many for me really average full backs getting lauded because they are good going forward, then often the likes of Bissaka slated because he has a lot to learn in that department when he is a far better defender than the others mentioned.

I get the game has changed and of course there needs to be some kind of balance, but I am with you. Funny people talking about possibility of him being a left back when only a couple of years ago we were slating the likes of Ashley Young and Valencia partly for there defensive frailties.

This was the first game personally I have thought there might be a player in Chong. Had nothing to do with him playing left back though, he had all the space to play as a winger anyway most of the time he was on.

Ace of Spades

I still have hopes for him and his last couple of cameos have been good.

The problem is that he needs a lot more than cameos to really push on and improve, and it will be difficult to do it here.

A loan to Bundesliga if true looks a very good option.

Tony247

Very good appearance yesterday. He needs to play more to get sharpened. I was a critic but I am now willing to see more of him. May be the other bunch was soooo bad chong suddenly looked like a breath of fresh air...but still, a good performance is a good performance. Acknowledged.

RedCurry

Tied his hair, had a good game. There’s no way to know for sure but I bet they are related.

khoazany

Hope he does well on loan next season. Has some potential to be useful for us, esp. on the left as we overburn Rashy sometimes.

He's an exciting player to watch when he's full of confidence.

Classical Mechanic

Has he got stronger or changed boot sponsors in the break? He looked much more confident and balanced on the ball. First time I have seen him in the first team and no tthought he looked like a cross between Milan Baros runnig nwith his head down clueless and Bambi on ice.
Filling out into his body.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He was ok,nothing more and nothing less. Though due to the majority of the teams performance last night,Chong's individual display will likely get more (over) hyped than it probably deserves.

Eire Red United

Probably the best performance we’ve seen from this kid. Hope to see James go on loan next season and this lad get more minutes.

SSSSnake

That was the first performance where I actually thought wow he could be a decent player. Quick pace down the left, very decent touch and control. There is just something more about him when he has the ball at his feet compared to Shaw who’s more of a kick and run player similar to Dan James.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's only 20 we have to remember.

I think if he's mentally ready to take on moving to Germany for a year and really getting some good game time he will do really well.

he's fast enough and works hard, I hope it goes well for him.

Left wing back might actually be the perfect position for him in a 3-4-3.

Bobski

Saka at Arsenal has shown the possibilities when adapting wide players positions.

Attacking full backs incorporate a lot of old style wing play into their game these days, it is certainly something Utd should be considering,

Idxomer

That was the first performance where I actually thought wow he could be a decent player. Quick pace down the left, very decent touch and control. There is just something more about him when he has the ball at his feet compared to Shaw who’s more of a kick and run player similar to Dan James.
What!

romufc

Mate, are you sure you are watching the right games? Shaw does not kick and run. He is more of a rotating the ball.

Chong does not have enough about him to play LB.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal

Bild says, that Chong decided for Werder, despite offer froms the PL.
Should be a 2-year-loan, but United and Werder still have to agree a deal.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
2 year deal for loan is bit new isn't it? Plus how is Werder Bremen team? Will he get chances there?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
A little strange. All parties will need to be happy after the first year to go into the second year.
It's not really that strange, a 2 year loan is almost like a mini transfer, it gives Bremen plenty of incentive to keep playing him knowing he'll be there a decent amount of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.