On loan to: Birmingham City

On loan from: Manchester United

Loan End: May 31, 2022
Contract expires: Jun 30, 2022
Contract option: Option for a further year

Last edited:

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Any information on when he joins up with Birmingham? Seen him in the training pics with United.

lysglimt

Scout
Very positive 1 half from him against Blades (1-0 Birmingham just before the break). He has a more central midfield role and has done little going forward but has worked his socks off defensively and done really well.

cj_sparky

Just been given Motm, 1st for tackles 7 and 1st for Balls won 5.

flappyjay

His off the ball work was class, also put in a peach of a cross. I would be interested in seeing him in matches against teams around Birminghams level. I situations where he will get the ball a lot more.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
on my way back from the game. This guy was a nuisance. Very weak but drove them forward when they had the ball. Good pick up from Birmingham.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
They'll be retiring his number at the end of the season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Very positive 1 half from him against Blades (1-0 Birmingham just before the break). He has a more central midfield role and has done little going forward but has worked his socks off defensively and done really well.
Imagine if he end to playing as CM, after all the RW vs LW arguments.

Looks good in the video posted, hopefully he will get regular playing time.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Looks like we could potentially have a new ruud gullit in our books

Ace of Spades

I highly doubt he'd become good enough for us in central midfield. He's not a quality passer.

Definitely a winger.
His passing is fine, his end product is not the best. A midfield role is a lot different to playing wide, and with more if a sample size we could get a better idea.

He could play as a LB tbh, he has a good cross and the pace and strength to play there. A lot easier to transition to that position. AWB was a winger in his youth days as well IIRC, could see him play there and do well. Just don't think he has a high ceiling as a winger, and maybe better for him to play a different position.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I've compared him to Di Maria stylistically in a central role in the past when the Argentine was deployed in a midfield 3 by Ancelotti at Real Madrid. He most likely won't be as good as Di Maria but has the attributes to play in several different roles and is a high energy player to boot which makes him a potentially superb player out of possession too, which is a requirement in todays game more than ever before.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
What I like about him at CM is that he seems fast, lanky and energetic when coming down upon you to put that defensive pressure on you.

Its what makes me think that it could actually end up working.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
I've compared him to Di Maria stylistically in a central role in the past when the Argentine was deployed in a midfield 3 by Ancelotti at Real Madrid. He most likely won't be as good as Di Maria but has the attributes to play in several different roles and is a high energy player to boot which makes him a potentially superb player out of possession too, which is a requirement in todays game more than ever before.
Never thought of him like that but after reading this, it makes sense. Also something I have been saying here for sometime now, that he has a fantastic attitude. Combined with his talent, I think he will make it a decent level. He also lost a year due to ACL so I wouldn't worry about his age.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
His passing is fine, his end product is not the best. A midfield role is a lot different to playing wide, and with more if a sample size we could get a better idea.

He could play as a LB tbh, he has a good cross and the pace and strength to play there. A lot easier to transition to that position. AWB was a winger in his youth days as well IIRC, could see him play there and do well. Just don't think he has a high ceiling as a winger, and maybe better for him to play a different position.
He could be Holland's next LWB. By far their weakest position.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
He had a very good game yesterday, looked hungry with moments of absolute quality, the disallowed goal being one.
Drop of the shoulder, step over and dinked cross.
Good start to his loan.

lysglimt

Scout
He had a very good game yesterday, looked hungry with moments of absolute quality, the disallowed goal being one.
Drop of the shoulder, step over and dinked cross.
Good start to his loan.
He was good - but strangely enough he was better defensively than going forward. He really put pressure on the Sheffield-players and won the ball back on several occations.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
seems like the perfect position for him really.

I seem to remember Di Maria played the same role on his debut for united in a 352, that sort of hybrid midfielder/winger role works great for a winger with high stamina

Bwuk

seems like the perfect position for him really.

I seem to remember Di Maria played the same role on his debut for united in a 352, that sort of hybrid midfielder/winger role works great for a winger with high stamina
He had just been amazing for Madrid playing that role too.

Finally a loan move that makes sense for Chong.

Adam-Utd

He had just been amazing for Madrid playing that role too.

Finally a loan move that makes sense for Chong.
yep! he should really watch the videos of his performances in the 433 madrid played and copy it.

Obviously he doesn’t quite have the technique or vision of ADM but he’s got similar speed, stamina and a good cross.

Birmingham fans seem to love him already so that’s a good sign for him.

-Supreme-

I think his contract ends in 2023? It's a shame we didn't extend his contract before sending him on loan, like what we have done with Tuanzebe

Highfather_24

Yes, when I heard he played as a LCM in a midfield 3, that's who I thought of first as well. High work rate, and creative, I think that kinda role suits him well.

This is not the first time he has played in this position either. In that famous 2019 PSG match, he came off the bench to play as the LCM in a midfield 3 as well. Fred played as the DM and McT as the RCM.

roonster09

Scout
yep! he should really watch the videos of his performances in the 433 madrid played and copy it.

Obviously he doesn’t quite have the technique or vision of ADM but he’s got similar speed, stamina and a good cross.

Birmingham fans seem to love him already so that’s a good sign for him.
Di Maria also had insane work rate at Madrid, something that should be replicated to play as CM. Not sure how it works long term as Chong looked weak physically.

Adam-Utd

Di Maria also had insane work rate at Madrid, something that should be replicated to play as CM. Not sure how it works long term as Chong looked weak physically.
Chong has similar stamina. ADM was hardly a bruiser either! they look very similar bodyshape. Both left footed too, I think if he's playing the 3 in midfield he should look to mimic that style.

roonster09

Scout
Chong has similar stamina. ADM was hardly a bruiser either! they look very similar bodyshape. Both left footed too, I think if he's playing the 3 in midfield he should look to mimic that style.
Di Maria was used as a work horse under Jose, his work rate was like Vanelcia. He wasn't strong but he was a pest.

If Chong can do that, good for him as he can play multiple positions and a player who can dribble from CM will be huge asset for any club.

Adam-Utd

Di Maria was used as a work horse under Jose, his work rate was like Vanelcia. He wasn't strong but he was a pest.

If Chong can do that, good for him as he can play multiple positions and a player who can dribble from CM will be huge asset for any club.
If you look at his first match for Birmingham he was certainly a work horse, I think he fits the box to box/winger hybrid perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.