2021-22 Performances

View full 2021-22 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
His mind looks quicker than what he’s facing in the Championship thus far. He sees the pitch and what he wants to do before, or as, the ball comes to him and is darting off wherever he wants to go instantaneously, leaving opponents for dead. Looks the same in terms of interceptions and getting across his man to make those stab-tackles - he’s one step ahead, like a player from a level up in the wrong division. If he keeps it up, he looks very likely to have a PL career.

I don’t see what the eagerness is to offload him; let’s see where this journey takes him, because if he keeps up his current level he is going to be one of the players of the Championship season, and if that turns out to be the case, it’d be negligent to not take a proper look at him next pre-season.

He’s performing like a potential Manchester United player on loan should; how is that not enough for some people?
I don't know why people are clamouring to sell. Young player, showing class, of he can keep it up, he should be given a chance here. surely that's the the whole purpose of loaning players out.

I'd rather see him in our squad than Dan James put it that way.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I don't know why people are clamouring to sell. Young player, showing class, of he can keep it up, he should be given a chance here. surely that's the the whole purpose of loaning players out.

I'd rather see him in our squad than Dan James put it that way.
Thing for me is he’s growing and improving and clearly understanding the game in a way he didn’t just a couple of seasons ago - it’d be the worst possible time to sell a player, whilst he’s showing growth and expansive play.

I’m just thinking that great loans are supposed to be uplifting for player, club and fans alike, so it’s bizarre that as he’s doing everything you want of a loaned player, people dismiss him.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Are you saying Chong is a Championship level player? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Also astounded that so many people want to sell him. The same people would be annoyed we don’t produce our own quality players. Jesus wept.
Yes, he barely got a kick in Germany, didn't exactly set the world alight in Belgium either.

He needs to be playing regularly and if he's found confidence and backing in Birmingham then why not stay there?

We already have 5/6 players ahead of him, we can't even find a place for Amad let alone Chong.

carlbcfc

Supports
Birmingham City
I’m a Birmingham fan. If you remember we had Lingard on loan at age 21, and although he scored 4 on his debut, he didn’t do much else. Chong appears to be a level above Lingard at the same age. Bowyer is a going to probe to be a very smart manager. I think he’ll be in the running for one of his former clubs in the EPL eventually.

Chong is EPL level. Don’t discount him so soon. Always good to have your own products in your squad remember.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Drainy

Yes, he barely got a kick in Germany, didn't exactly set the world alight in Belgium either.

He needs to be playing regularly and if he's found confidence and backing in Birmingham then why not stay there?

We already have 5/6 players ahead of him, we can't even find a place for Amad let alone Chong.
Chong has been held back by:

a) missing a year at a key development stage due to injury
b) being built like a twig
c) lacking composure

Injuries there is nothing anyone can do, but the others are 'time will tell'. I didn't write him off last year because with his pace, energy and 'snake hips' he could develop well. Seems he's now 'handling' the Championship which is a key milestone.

He may and up doing a Lingard and coming into the squad once his body develops in his early to mid 20s.

Nick7

The biggest issue with him before his loans was his mentality. He always looked shit scared and nervous when playing with the first team. I don’t think his talent was ever an issue.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You also need to employ him the way they do. On the wing isolated, he'd be more ineffective. Plays the Di Maria way that season under Ancelotti when they won the decima
Sounds similar to Lemar under Simeone last/this season too

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

c) lacking composure

Injuries there is nothing anyone can do, but the others are 'time will tell'. I didn't write him off last year because with his pace, energy and 'snake hips' he could develop well. Seems he's now 'handling' the Championship which is a key milestone.

He may and up doing a Lingard and coming into the squad once his body develops in his early to mid 20s.
When he was coming up, his running was quite mindless in that he’d run hard in straight lines but there was no cunning or guile to it; watching him in the Championship, it looks like he’s grasped his faster, nippier and more agile than most and is using it to his advantage. He just looks so much smarter now than I have seen him. Coupled with his energy and zest, he’s a player who has got more to him than being a write-off should he not make it as a pure winger.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The biggest issue with him before his loans was his mentality. He always looked shit scared and nervous when playing with the first team. I don’t think his talent was ever an issue.
Agree, have said the same thing since the start with him. I’ll always point to the Rochdale matches for the first team and the u23s. In the EFL trophy he absolutely destroyed them, best player on the pitch by miles and he had the confidence of knowing it. For the first team against same opponent he was a bag of nerves. Desperate to impress but always hesitant and second guessing himself. It was always a matter of time thing. He just needs the belief that he belongs at that level.

Bowyer is a fantastic manager and really good at getting the best out of players so no surprise to see him getting Chong confident and believing in his ability.

What level he’ll end up at is anyone’s guess but people here have been desperate for him to fail because he didn’t immediately impress in the first team. Not every teenager needs to be full of confidence and mentally strong, some people just take time.

Bwuk

Seems to be the next coming of Maradonna according to Birmingham fans on Twitter.

This is why I think we should always loan to the championship rather than abroad.

jeepers

Excellent performance all round. Vision, work rate, crisp passing, two assists.

I must admit I had already given up on him based on his German and Belgian loans, thought he didn't have the right mentality to make it. He's making me eat my words now, with a really solid start to his Championship loan and that shows he is growing and progressing. Let's hope he stays injury free and gets as many games as possible. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: Cheimoon

Mickson

I'm eager to watch him at United if he keeps this up. It'll be interesting to see what happens, at worst we will get a good fee for him. I don't know how his new central role would fit in at United, it probably wouldn't.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

c) lacking composure

People are welcome to their opinions, I think it's more important for him to learn football properly week in week out.

He's had such a bit part career so far, yes injuries delayed him - but he won't get the minutes he needs at united.

We should sell him with a buy back clause IMO.

Drainy

People are welcome to their opinions, I think it's more important for him to learn football properly week in week out.

He's had such a bit part career so far, yes injuries delayed him - but he won't get the minutes he needs at united.

We should sell him with a buy back clause IMO.
yeah, thats why he's out on loan while he develops physically, gets the experience of playing and gains composure by playing games. Selling him for £2-3m with a buy back of £25m or whatever sounds stupid to me.

United should always be competitive for positions in the squad and look for young players to come in and take places if someone coasts or stagnates.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I reckon he might have a chance of a United career if he plays a bit deeper as a box to box midfielder. The creative positions are bit full stacked right now.

Drainy

I reckon he might have a chance of a United career if he plays a bit deeper as a box to box midfielder. The creative positions are bit full stacked right now.
competing with Sancho & Amad as the Mata replacement for right inside forward or Dan James & Elanga as high press / running the line forward.

I think Greenwood gets moved centrally more consistently next season when Cavani leaves, Mata leaves and potentially both Pogba and Martial go, then its really competitive for who steps up into the squad.

Ludens the Red

Never thought much of him but seen Birmingham highlights this season and he seems to be at the forefront of everything.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I’m a Birmingham fan. If you remember we had Lingard on loan at age 21, and although he scored 4 on his debut, he didn’t do much else. Chong appears to be a level above Lingard at the same age. Bowyer is a going to probe to be a very smart manager. I think he’ll be in the running for one of his former clubs in the EPL eventually.

Chong is EPL level. Don’t discount him so soon. Always good to have your own products in your squad remember.
I'm not really seeing how he ends up playing for us regularly, but the one thing that's news to me from reading this thread is Lee Bowyer comes across really well.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Birmingham played Derby tonight. A few tweets on Chong's performance in a game which is still in progress.

2-0 to Birmingham now.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Man of the match.

Superb game tonight. Been brilliant for Birmingham so far.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Birmingham played Derby tonight. A few tweets on Chong's performance in a game which is still in progress.

2-0 to Birmingham now.
The best thing about Chong tonight was how he got up every time he got knocked down.

Wasn't phased in the slightest and gave as good as he got too.

Flying_Heckfish

Really interesting how this is working out for him. He looked completely lightweight and out of his depth in his few appearances for us, but now he's bossing it in a really competitive and physical league.

If he keeps this up, then he's right back in with a chance here. Impressive.

izec

Really interesting how this is working out for him. He looked completely lightweight and out of his depth in his few appearances for us, but now he's bossing it in a really competitive and physical league.

If he keeps this up, then he's right back in with a chance here. Impressive.
We are stacked on the wings IMO. And he plays in central midfield in a 3 man midfield as a winger, while we have Bruno and 2 DMs.

I dont think he will see a lot of game time next season. I'd loan him out to the PL.

Flying_Heckfish

We are stacked on the wings IMO. And he plays in central midfield in a 3 man midfield as a winger, while we have Bruno and 2 DMs.

I dont think he will see a lot of game time next season. I'd loan him out to the PL.
Yeah that would be a natural progression. The last thing he needs is to come back here and get Lingard's minutes.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I really hope we could do more loans to the Championship. I think the experience is very underrated.

- Competitive football (often few points between playing for qualification for promotion and avoiding relegation),
- High level (according to Clubelo rating similar level to Portugal and Holland),
- Plenty of games,
- Gives a bit of the physical aspects that makes the PL and the english game quite special
- Less glamour and attention, more down to earth

I think there has been a change in the Championship the past ten years. There is quite a few young managers looking to play a bit more of a continental style than the traditional british managers used to. We have seen quite a few exciting young talents develop in the Championship the past few years (Maddison, Grealish, Eze, Benrahma, Olise, Watkins etc) and I think that prove that the level is more than good enough for young players to develop.

In the case of Birmingham, maybe we should try to loan them one more player if they need someone? If they somehow gained promotion we would probably get a decent fee for Chong.

Zoo

Loved his post-match interview he speaks so well and was clearly buzzing.

Oranges038

The best thing about Chong tonight was how he got up every time he got knocked down.

Wasn't phased in the slightest and gave as good as he got too.
He looks like he's put on a bit of muscle, still looks quite lean but stronger.

Good to see him playing well, looks a lot less headless now than he did in most of his Utd games.

Trequarista10

We've got plenty of numbers on the wing currently but there are questions marks over most of them. Sancho and Rashford are the only two long term certs. All the rest may move on in a year or two, or move to a more central position, or are equally as inexperienced as Chong.

I would agree a PL move next season currently seems ideal, but things can change pretty quickly so that might change next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.